• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Need some advice against sheik

Marthier123

Smash Rookie
I play with a friend a lot and he mains sheik, I win most of the time but he has a really strange neutral game that i always have trouble against. Unfortunately I don't have a video so i'll try to explain it as well as I can.
I like go to for A LOT of grabs, knowing this, he would always spot dodge several times in a row making me miss all of them, giving him an easy grab and punish.
In neutral, he would always roll behind me grab me(or ftilt or dsmash), and i've realized that sheiks roll has so little lag making it nearly impossible to react to it(maybe its just me).
He also likes to run forward and wavedash back, repeat x3 to try and trick me and I fall for it sometimes, what should i do when he does this?

What should i be doing when he is rolling and spot dodging a bunch of times generally in neutral game, because i find it really difficult to punish. Usually when i get a grab im able to do a lot of damage. Thanks!!

EDIT: Whops, meant against sheik for title

Last edited:

BlueX

Smash Hero
NNID
ukgh01
3DS FC
3325-4567-0562
I play with a friend a lot and he main sheik, I win most of the time but he has a really strange neutral game that i always have trouble against. Unfortunately I don't have a video so i'll try to explain it as well as I can.
I like go to for A LOT of grabs, knowing this, he would always spot dodge several times in a row making me miss all of them, giving him an easy grab and punish.
In neutral, he would always roll behind me grab me(or ftilt or dsmash), and i've realized that sheiks roll has so little lag making it nearly impossible to react to it(maybe its just me).
He also likes to run forward and wavedash back, repeat x3 to try and trick me and I fall for it sometimes, what should i do when he does this?

What should i be doing when he is rolling and spot dodging a bunch of times generally in neutral game, because i find it really difficult to punish. Usually when i get a grab im able to do a lot of damage. Thanks!!
This advice might be terrible but if you know your friend is going to roll then try D-Smash to punish. If you can quickly wavedash back and then D-Tilt.

Take Stride's advice instead.

Last edited:

Stride

Smash Ace
North-west England (near Manchester/Liverpool)
You can edit the title of a thread using the "thread options" button.

Dash-dance to bait him into spotdodging or rolling. Don't always attack with the same timing.

If you're ready to cover the roll or spotdodge then it doesn't matter that it has relatively little (non-intangible) lag, since you react to seeing the beginning of it and not the vulnerable part; rolls and spotdodges are reactable.

When he's moving forwards and then wavedashing back, space your attacks deeper into him so it catches his backwards movement if he's not throwing out a hitbox when you approach (if he is then bait it so he can't just do that every time). Also, see what it is that provokes him to act, then see how you can exploit his habits (if he always repeats it the same number of times then just wait for it or hit him before he's finished; if he reacts when you do a certain action, such as dashing towards him, then you can use that to bait him).

Last edited:

Marthier123

Smash Rookie
Okay, its just that when i see him spot dodge, I try to predict the earliest frame where hes vulnerable again and go for a grab when it happens, but I always fall for the second one.
What kind of approaches should i be using? wd/rc dtilts, rising fairs.

Sean de Lure

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4313-1004-2187
If you know his habits all you have to do is adapt accordingly
spot dodge 3 times? WD in front of him or shield stop and wait for 2/3 spot dodges and grab him for it
constantly rolling behind? WD forward out of grab range and dash back (or just DD)
you could even fsmash if you are in a waiting state
if he's running forward and WDing back to bait you, you can just wait nearby (or DD outside of his threatening range to provide counter bait). run forward and WD back provides no pressure by itself until sheik runs within your range. If he WD's back you can run up to him because he came so close to you
basically you need to see what his habits are, and find a way to beat them, just pause and think about it for a bit

Rhino1337

Smash Rookie
it sounds like he kind of controls the match. I would say play more of a waiting game and make HIM whiff his moves and punish instead of letting him punish your whiffs. If thats not your style you can just adapt. If he wavedashes back, attack THAT, not the dash forward. also, approach with fair is probably better than approach with grab based on the sheiks play style. If he spotdodges the fair you can double fair approach and bait out a spotdodge with the first fair. our bait out a spotddoge with just an empty approach. hope this helps

Last edited:

Hunybear

Smash Ace
I play with a friend a lot and he mains sheik, I win most of the time but he has a really strange neutral game that i always have trouble against. Unfortunately I don't have a video so i'll try to explain it as well as I can.

EDIT: Whops, meant against sheik for title
First I'd like to thank you for giving specifics as to what you want answered. Everyone always appreciates that <3

Now to answer your question.
It seems that finding an answer to these situations wont fix the problem. Your being baited in all of these and punishing these baits "now that you recognize them" wont stop other players from baiting you in different ways. You need to focus all your attention on your opponent in these situations to properly implement the option that will keep you in the advantageous position.
Your doing good in the sense that you recognize what's happening but you get punished regardless. Before you ask yourself how can I counter these situations you should first asked "how can I not get hit myself?" He rolls behind- I dash forward. He spot dodges three times- I dash away. To counter these situations you first need to be in a good position to do so. Marth is not a mix up character and Marth will LOSE trades against sheik.
Now to counter
Once you position yourself safely you want to apply pressure on your opponent. You do this with your movement before committing. Example would be when Shiek rolls behind. You can start your dash away but DD behind (toward sheik) again and JC grab. This can be accomplished all in here roll animation. The point is you moved in a way that gave you an out and an in. You need to understand this principle so when others bait you in ways your unfamiliar with you can give yourself room and time to work with wi'll you figure out an effective mode of punishment.

Sorry this doesn't exactly answer the situational nature of your question but I feel like it will help you grow as a player.

In short tho
he rolls behind- you DD grab
He spot dodges three times- you wait and grab (if timings to tight for you right now just dash away to avaoid being grabed yourself)
he runs forward and WD back 3 times- literally walk up to him and attack. Maintain a good distance (as marth should) but the slow walk up will put him on tilt.

Last edited:
Top Bottom