• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Need help with the Rosalina and Luma matchup.

WabbitSeason

Smash Cadet
So I usually play pretty well against most characters, even the top tier ones and Little Mac on For Glory. But in the case of Rosalina I feel Diddy is hard countered:

1.) Tried using peanut gun pressure and bananas to approach but it's obvious down-b eats up all my projectiles instantly. So I'm basically running around naked without any way to use projectiles.

2.) Tried to approach in every way possible, but Luma walled me out and I couldn't deal with Ros's spacing ability. In the air or on the ground, I just couldn't find an opening because she has better air mobility and Luma.

Does anyone have experience in the MU or have a video of the MU in tournament? No matter how hard I tried I could not find a way to get in or punish her.

Last edited:

redreflect

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3282-2415-2514
I played a Rosalina today with my Diddy and won. It wasn't the best Rosalina, but it was still a pretty good match up. My only suggestion would be to just rush her and play aggressively -- nonstop. I didn't even try for Peanut Popgun or bananas, simply because Luma walled all projectiles I had. Rosalina seems average speed and couldn't keep up with my Diddy's speed. I didn't even try for aerials, at least not too much. If you DO get Rosalina in the air, you could possibly fsmash Luma off of the stage. I think once Luma is over the side, it can't recover (at least not that well).

I wish I had better advice, I'm by no means a pro. But this is what worked for me in my most recent match up.

Last edited:

WabbitSeason

Smash Cadet
I played a Rosalina today with my Diddy and won. It wasn't the best Rosalina, but it was still a pretty good match up. My only suggestion would be to just rush her and play aggressively -- nonstop. Rosalina seems average speed and couldn't keep up with my Diddy's speed. I didn't even try for aerials, at least not too much. If you DO get Rosalina in the air, you could possibly fsmash Luma off of the stage. I think once Luma is over the side, it can't recover (at least not that well).

I wish I had better advice, I'm by no means a pro. But this is what worked for me in my most recent match up.
Yeah, I should have also added that the guy I was playing was ridiculously good with every other character he used. I tried to come at him with a ground game but I just couldn't counter Luma and out-of-shield options. Thanks for the advice, trying to attack by air was probably the worst option I took.

Last edited:

chimpact

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0361-7166-1377
Use diddy kong's command grab to put pressure on her. it beats shields and the reflector. rosalina has pretty laggy aerials so take advantage of her blind spots.

Empty Number

Smash Journeyman
As someone who recently moved from Diddy Kong to Rosalina as a main, I find it hardest to deal with play-styles that put immense pressure on me. Rosalina has a fair amount of ending lag to most of her moves. They have good range, knockback, and quick start ups - but if I'm not careful I get punished hard. Your typical Little Macs, Captain Falcons, Yoshis, and Shieks all piss me off with their ability to rush me down. I can typically evade the first one or two obvious attacks, but what makes them excellent rushdown characters is that they have little to no ending lag - which means I find it very hard to punish them after missing they miss once or twice.

The characters and play-styles Rosalina does best against are your typical campy guys. In my experience I've found that I can usually out mind-game everyone that tries to play like this. She has so many tools at her disposal to both approach campers, punish would-be campers, and force habitual campers to approach.

So in sum, my advice: Rush down Rosalina. Don't stop the pressure. As soon as you've got Rosalina and Luma separated and you're hitting Rosalina - you have the advantage. If she recovers and gets Luma by her side again, side B through any walls she puts up and keep pressuring.

Player-1

Smash Legend
unfortunately once rosalinas get better luma will hit us out of command grab >.> I think this MU is pretty bad in theory and the Rosalina players haven't figured it out completely yet. What generally works for me is I try to use banana plucks after i hit rosalinas and the predictable ones will just straight gravity pull it and you can just ignore the banana and attack her while she's focused on the gravity pull.

Dragoomba

Smash Lord
Rosalina's love to kneejerk react to Diddy holding a banana and use their absorb, that's when you'd side-b. It's probably our most frustrating matchup though. We have to play a different game entirely (just look most characters vs. Rosalina). No banana throw punishes out of shield with Luma taking the hit. :/

Jiggly

Drop the mic, cause these fools sleeping on me
The FBI Surveillance Van outside your house.
NNID
Jiggly101
As diddy in this MU, I like to space with bananas and peanuts, even though it is useless. I never seem to have trouble killing Luma, as all of diddy's aerials hit really hard. I then approach SoRos, and popgun cancel in a shorter range to force her gravatational pull, and punish. Eventually she wil stop falling for it and actually approach, so shooting a peanut works well when she calls your bluff. The important thing in this MU is to seperate RosLum, and to punish Ros accordingly. Or at least, that's how I've been able to do it.

iiGGYxD

Smash Apprentice
NNID
iiGGYxD
3DS FC
0447-7543-7353
You can pop the peanuts and then punish rosa as she uses gp as it has massive cooldown. Side b is your best friend in this mu as people stated above. Also, your fair is amazing vs rosa. Her aerials have decent start up and last forever so often times you'll beat her out in the air.

Just a few things from the rosa's perspective that give her trouble.

DrLobster

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DrLobster
3DS FC
4699-5880-7408
This is easily one of Diddy's hardest matchup. Honestly, I feel our best tool in this matchup is short nair. If you short hop nair so you end up behind Rosalina, you don't have to worry about Luma and you could potentially follow up with a pivot grab/ftilt/fmash.

Also, down throw follow ups shouldn't really work in theory, since Luma can just hit you while you're in the lag for the throw. I feel it's sometime a good option to just do a quick forward throw on Rosalina instead. That way, you can quickly seperate the two and take it from there.

ALSO also, applying pressure with projectiles is almost fruitless. A peanut every once and a while doesn't hurt, but bananas end up becoming more haphazardous than helpul.

Last edited:

Blitzern

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Blitzern
I haven't got to play the matchup much, but I think you should poke Luma's 50 health with fair or any other retreating aerial. After she's gone, or uses Luma Shot, theirs your oppertunity to go in. Also use banana as a mind game and stage control.

Top Bottom