• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Need help with sucking LESS

shellz

Smash Rookie
HAI!, I'm a new yoshi main who kinda sucks and was hopeing that a yoshi main that doesnt suck could help me to also not suck T.T most of the time I would just practice more to get better but I lack decent people to play offline or a way to get to tourneys and as we all know wifi is kinda meh =/ so can anyone help? T.T

.Marik

is a social misfit
We have a bunch of informative and useful threads lying around the Yoshi Boards, take a look at them.

They should help you out.

And welcome, by the way. :D

bigman40

Smash Master
Look in the regional boards for getting rides for tourneys and when they take place. If you can get videos, it'll definitely help us get a much more accurate look at how your Yoshi plays. If you can't do this, then the only true way we can help you is by letting us know what specifics you have trouble with. Any MUs, Overall control, Stage choice/play, Options (Save choices), etc. helps in how we can help you.

....Zuzuzu....

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: Wow, a newcomer who reads the stickies?!

Also, I'm feelin that avatar! Welcome! :D

I guess my first question for you so I can understand your situation is: what is your goal for getting better? If you lack people to play, you don't have any way to get to tournaments, and are indifferent about WiFi, what's driving you to get better?

shellz

Smash Rookie
well...Im 15 so Im hopeing when I get to be 16 I can drive myself also my older brother will be comeing to live with us for a while soon and he plays so I was hopeing we could go to a tourney or 2 together so to be honest so its more to get better for the touneys Ill BE going to rather than the ones I go to

@bigman Ill try to get a video of me playing someone decent (it will just be a camera pointed at a screen though=/) and I would feel strange driveing in some random persons car >.<

@shiri again...lol...you live in crotch...

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Well, vids would help.

Also, play offline as much as possible.

Until you get vids, you'll just have to tell us what you're having trouble with.

General things to practice:

Spacing <-- Most important imo
Which moves lead to what
The Chain Grab
Mindgames/Mixups (Only possible to practice on humans.)
How to DI properly (Momentum Canceling, SDI, etc.)
How to "camp" properly with Yoshi

Also, I'm 15 too. I went to my first tourney last Saturday. No age johns, find a way. =D

shellz

Smash Rookie
Well, vids would help.

Also, play offline as much as possible.

Until you get vids, you'll just have to tell us what you're having trouble with.

General things to practice:

Spacing <-- Most important imo
Which moves lead to what
The Chain Grab
Mindgames/Mixups (Only possible to practice on humans.)
How to DI properly (Momentum Canceling, SDI, etc.)
How to "camp" properly with Yoshi

Also, I'm 15 too. I went to my first tourney last Saturday. No age johns, find a way. =D
I really dont have a way to play offline but I do when I get the chance and I should get a vid up tonight or 2morrow thanks for the help ^^

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
D'aw, it's WiFi.

Anyways, it looks like you need to work on a lot. =/

You used a lot of moves unsafely. Fsmashed too much, standing egg lay, too much fair. You also didn't attempt to space at all.

You play very straight forwardly and don't really try to bait and punish. You don't have many mindgames, which are essential. Also, you shouldn't approach a Marth. Ever. It's not good for Yoshi.

See if you can get some offline vids. D:

shellz

Smash Rookie
as I said I really have NO WAY to do that unless you want my mom to pick up the controller >.>

but thanks for the advice

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Lol, I know, just try.

Also, would you mind telling me exactly why you can't play offline? Mom johns? Travel johns? If it's travel johns, you could try and ask for a ride from a smasher or for him to come to you. Mom johns, you gotta try and convince her to let you play. =/

shellz

Smash Rookie
Lol no the one tourney I did go to she was really happy about I'm just not sure how I would feel about haveing some dude I dont know take me to a tourney =/ (not sure if they would let me go with some one they don't know either)

oh, and one more small thing how do you go about getting footage from your tourney games?

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Smash is a really social gaming community, it shouldn't be too much of a problem finding people willing to help you. As long as you pay them gas money or something if you live real far out of their way, it should be okay. =/

To record tourney matches, it depends. Save the replays of the games if possible and just hope they get uploaded. Generally, any matches on a livestream are recorded and uploaded. Also, you can bring your own set up and get the infinite replay hack, and ask people to play you on that. Save the replays, and upload them yourself.

shellz

Smash Rookie
Well as I said I would feel odd rideing in some random persons car and on top of that I have yet to find a smasher in lake city :(

I will see if my parents will let me go with some one they don't know if they will then maybe I'll try to get a ride with some one...

TheOgbot

Smash Journeyman
Basically Delta-cod hit all of the basics.

Also I'd say hang around the FL social threads in the regional zone area. I didn't know MN had anything beside the small community I set up for the local area until I found a few threads here on Smashboards. You'd be quite surprised how many people are active in Smash dude :D

YoshiIslander77z

Smash Apprentice
to get better at yoshi u have to be a jerk, main pikachu, peach, or meta knight. u must attend offline tournies, say egg lay is a guud move and say wifi doenst prove actual skill.

and playing less punishable makes u a better player even if that means sacrificing all the offense u have

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
to get better at yoshi u have to be a jerk, main pikachu, peach, or meta knight. u must attend offline tournies, say egg lay is a guud move and say wifi doenst prove actual skill.

and playing less punishable makes u a better player even if that means sacrificing all the offense u have
Now now, you're just being sore. I have nothing against you, but don't spread the wrong ideas around.

WiFi DOESN'T prove skill.

Offline tournies are a must. Maining other characters doesn't help. Egg lay IS a good move.

Playing punishably is NOT the best way to play. It works for Zude, and that's great. There was a chart about it before, but it went something like this.

Risky Move > Get Punished > Poetic Justice

Safe Move > Don't get punished >Succeed.

Or something. Meta had the chart I think.

D

Deleted member

Analysis on your post:
Be a jerk: Not necessarily, just on boards, and to make fun of bad posts.
Main peach or pikachu: No, the only yoshi that does that is meta and hes pretty crappy <3
Main Meta Knight: yes.

Attend Offline tournies: of course, that applies for all characters though.
Egg lay: *****
Wifi: Sucks

Yes playing less punishable does indeed make you a better player. Remember, the goal of the game is "don't get hit", so getting hit would be going against the goal of the game.
Playing less punishable just means playing less punishable, not sacrificing all the offense you have.

Id love to play a yoshi who runs in and nairs every time hes in a neutral position, even tho if he stopped doing that he would improve even tho it would sacrifice all his offense :p

YoshiIslander77z

Smash Apprentice
Now now, you're just being sore. I have nothing against you, but don't spread the wrong ideas around.

WiFi DOESN'T prove skill.

Offline tournies are a must. Maining other characters doesn't help. Egg lay IS a good move.

Playing punishably is NOT the best way to play. It works for Zude, and that's great. There was a chart about it before, but it went something like this.

Risky Move > Get Punished > Poetic Justice

Safe Move > Don't get punished >Succeed.

Or something. Meta had the chart I think.
thats what i said just longer and more persice

Top Bottom