• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Need help with PSAs

Paradoxium

Smash Master
I'm basically trying to teach myself how to work with psas so I can eventually make my own, but I need help.
First off, I tried making a Knuckle joe model over wario, but the game freezes whenever I L-cancel
Second, I tried to replace Wario's animations with knuckle joe's, which ended in a complete train wreck. He warps whenever he walks, he jumps super high, and the game freezes randomly.
Yea, I'm probably taking this a bit too fast but I really want to start making hacks besides textures
So, any advice?

The knuckle joe psa originally goes over ness, and I'm pretty sure it is incompatible with project m
EDIT* got the model working, now im stuck on animations

QQQQQQQ7777777

Smash Champion
I don`t know the first thing about model hacking but I do know that you shouldn`t change the animations in Project M

Paradoxium

Smash Master
And can you direct to where the rules say that I shouldn't change the animations? Give me one good reason why I shouldn't? This is all for practice, in fact, when I finish testing the model I revert Wario back to his original self. I'm just trying to familiarize myself with PSAs so I can eventually make my own. And since i only play project m a might as well figure out how to edit psas for project m. Just because I'm tinkering with animations does not mean I'm up to no good.
Please, only respond if your going to offer some sort of assistance.

turtletank

Smash Journeyman
He wasn't telling you off, it's just that Project M is a little unpredictable when you modify/edit certain things. Not much is known about it's coding to non devs so it's not ideal for PSA practice. Try making PSA's in vBrawl, I guarantee that you will experience less oddities in general.

Paradoxium

Smash Master
But vanilla brawl is complete ****. And I figured the animations were glitching specifically because it was in PM, but I've downloaded models before and they've worked, so I know the model is glitching due to my personal error. And I know that it is possible to make a psa for project m, they have a lot of them for download on brawlvaults. I just really wanna learn, but the methods used in most tutorials do not work for project m so as a last resort I'm requesting help.

turtletank

Smash Journeyman
If the tutorials don't work for project M then you won't find much help outside the PMBR.
NGuz95 might be of assistance however; he seems to be making good progress with Mewtwo. If that doesn't work then brawl+ is probably the next best thing.

HyperrCrow

Emotional Reality
The thing about models is that they have to be rigged so all the bones on the model match the character you're trying to replace, otherwise animations look wonky in-game.
As for PSA's in Project M, I hear they can be really tedious. I'd love to help, but my only PSA experience was in vBrawl waaaaay back.

Paradoxium

Smash Master
I've actually gotten the Knuckle Joe model to perfectly work over Wario. Now my problem is the animations. I've replaced all of Warios animations With Knuckle Joe's, the only problem is that Wario, not the game, freezes when using special moves. I'm just grinding this stuff out non stop until I figure out how to make a psa, it's some hard work.

HyperrCrow

Emotional Reality
it's some hard work.
No joking, that stuff can wreck your mind until you learn a lot of the basics. Don't worry, its all just trial and error from this point on.
By the way, could you perhaps upload some pictures of how the changed animations look like? I'd actually love to take a look and help if possible.

Paradoxium

Smash Master
Thanks, ill see what i can do. But I'm going to first make an account on those websites that host pictures, and I'll prolly need a media fire account for letting others download it. And I'll need a YouTube account to post videos. This is gonna be a ton of work.
By the way, this knuckle joe I'm trying to put on wario is a psa on brawlvaults that originally goes over ness. I wanna put it completely over wario, then modify its move set to fit into project m.

HyperrCrow

Emotional Reality
I think I've figured out why the game freezes when using specials. It might be the fact that the PSA is set to call gfx that Wario doesn't have, as well as the fact that his side special is a projectile, which Wario also lacks by natural means.

Paradoxium

Smash Master
I think I've figured out why the game freezes when using specials. It might be the fact that the PSA is set to call gfx that Wario doesn't have, as well as the fact that his side special is a projectile, which Wario also lacks by natural means.
Thanks, I never thought projectiles effected animations. I'll have to look for a solution. I'm going to try to replace every animation except for the specials and see if it works

@hotdogturtle
I've already gotten the model to work, and like I said, this is for practice. Since I play project m and not vbrawl then I might as well learn how to make PSAs for project m.

Nguz95

Smash Lord
Thanks, I never thought projectiles effected animations. I'll have to look for a solution. I'm going to try to replace every animation except for the specials and see if it works

@hotdogturtle
I've already gotten the model to work, and like I said, this is for practice. Since I play project m and not vbrawl then I might as well learn how to make PSAs for project m.
Do you still need help with this? I'm sorry, I should have come over here and offered you assistance earlier. First, changing animations in Brawl Box is fine for PM. However, changing them for Wario is very difficult. Wario is a hard character to work with because he has several moves that are unique. His bite, his ftilt, and his fthrow are special moves that require specific animations to function properly. When you change an animation or a skin too much it can cause him to freeze. I'm not sure why, but I feel like it has to do with the way the subactions relate to each other.
What I recommend is that you re rig the knuckle joe skin to a different character who is a similar height. Mario is always a solid choice, and he even has an article you can mess with. Ask away and I'll try my best to answer any questions you have!

Edit: I did some research and came up with a few questions for you.
1. Did you use the Knuckle Joe assist trophy for the model and the animations?
2. If so, did you take that model and put Wario's bones into it?
3. Do you have Blender? If not, do you know what this program does?

Again, I'm really sorry I didn't help you earlier. I just now realized that you posted on my thread asking for help. That's my fault.

Paradoxium

Smash Master
Do you still need help with this? I'm sorry, I should have come over here and offered you assistance earlier. First, changing animations in Brawl Box is fine for PM. However, changing them for Wario is very difficult. Wario is a hard character to work with because he has several moves that are unique. His bite, his ftilt, and his fthrow are special moves that require specific animations to function properly. When you change an animation or a skin too much it can cause him to freeze. I'm not sure why, but I feel like it has to do with the way the subactions relate to each other.
What I recommend is that you re rig the knuckle joe skin to a different character who is a similar height. Mario is always a solid choice, and he even has an article you can mess with. Ask away and I'll try my best to answer any questions you have!

Edit: I did some research and came up with a few questions for you.
1. Did you use the Knuckle Joe assist trophy for the model and the animations?
2. If so, did you take that model and put Wario's bones into it?
3. Do you have Blender? If not, do you know what this program does?

Again, I'm really sorry I didn't help you earlier. I just now realized that you posted on my thread asking for help. That's my fault.

Thank you for replying, but sadly I haven't been able to work on this knuckle joe model cus my computer pooped, and I haven't had the time to repair it...
but I will continue it in the near future!
Any ways I figured since warios side b made him move it was probably the reason it froze when I switched the animation, and I realized wario had some pretty tricky moves so should have put knuckle joe over a more basic character
to answer your questions
1) I used a model from a psa on brawlbox, it originally went over ness, but im pretty sure the model for that psa was from the trophy
2) I put warios bones on the model and it worked just fine, then I started switching animations and that's when I ran into problems
3) I had blender for a little while, then deleted it, i assume that im going to need though right? If i could find tutorials going over user interface i would be pretty well off, ive already used 3d modeling programs and 2d animation programs

once again thanks for your reply! maybe we can collab on this is the future!

Top Bottom