• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Need help with Brawl modding

TheLastMaverickHunter

Smash Journeyman
Excuse the bad username, I only made this account cause both online and IRL friends don't know how to help and I haven't found a hackless tutorial on YouTube (correct me if I'm wrong though).

I've tried getting into Brawl modding recently, but nothing I've done has worked. Despite downloading the character files and swapping textures out for the ones I got from Brawl Vault and Gamebanana, not only does nothing happen when I insert the SD card into the Wii (despite having deleted my Stage Builder stages just in case), but the new textures revert to their original states (except my SMBZ Mario skin for some reason, but that one isn't working).

As said earlier, being very new to this, I'm trying to do a hackless tutorial, but even then, I've kinda hit a brick wall here, so if anyone is able to help, I'd really appreciate it. That said, I'm willing to resort to Homebrew or some other method if none of this works in the end. Thanks. 🙏

FazDude

Smash Master
  • Is your SD Card 2 GB or less? You'll run into problems if it's any bigger than that.
  • Otherwise, you should try idling on the Stage Builder screen and not pressing anything. From what I understand, that's how you trigger the SD card content to load (and therefore your mods).
I got the info from here, so read through the hackless portion and make sure your root directories and things match up. Hope this helps!

TheLastMaverickHunter

Smash Journeyman
  • Is your SD Card 2 GB or less? You'll run into problems if it's any bigger than that.
Yeah, I made sure to check beforehand.
  • Otherwise, you should try idling on the Stage Builder screen and not pressing anything. From what I understand, that's how you trigger the SD card content to load (and therefore your mods).
I'll try that next time, will let you know what happens. Will see if I can fix the resetting textures too.

Thanks.

Last edited:

TheLastMaverickHunter

Smash Journeyman
I got the info from here, so read through the hackless portion and make sure your root directories and things match up. Hope this helps!
Alright, I took a look at the page. The only thing I can think of that is causing the issue is not having every folder here, but it doesn't say anywhere that I need all of them (since I'm just interested in the fighters). Correct me if I'm wrong though, I may have overlooked a detail or two.

That said, I'm not sure if a 2GB SD card could handle this much data, but again, feel free to correct me on this.

FazDude

Smash Master
I don't know if you need all the folders, but I'd add them just in case even if most of 'em end up empty. Do note that the link I posted uses Project M as a base, though, so things might be different if you're going off a vanilla Brawl.

Unfortunately, that's about all I can gather myself. I'd recommend scrolling through older posts on this section of the forums, as well as searching "hackless" to find some resources for hackless modding specifically. Best of luck!

Top Bottom