• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Need help for "Vegetables"

SoraDreamer

Smash Cadet
I just began to use Peach but I cannot use correctly the move Vegetable. I thought to use one of the costums but I prefer to be good with the original. I see some combos with the Vegetables but even when I follow the instructions of some videos, I simply cannot use well those Vegetables. Someone can help me to use them? Or should I use a costum move?

Vyledust

Smash Cadet
NNID
vyledust
3DS FC
4828-5240-3817
Switch FC
SW-0024-1518-2334
Are you talking about the basic turnip? It has a lot of uses. Always have one in your hand. Edge guard, approach, defensive. How are you using it currently?

SoraDreamer

Smash Cadet
Yes the basic turnips. I would like to use them correctly but I don't know how. I thought to switch for a costum but I heard about the uses of the original so I want to use them.

Now, I am just using them some moments to throw them just for saying I'm using them but I know it is not the right way. Can you help me please?

Last edited:

HeeroOfTheSkys

Smash Cadet
NNID
HeeroOfTheSkys
I use them for spacing and generally to keep my opponent off his game. They can also be used 2 make ur approach easier and safer. Lastly another great use for them is stopping ur opponent from getting back on stage

I could be wrong but personally I dont think there is anything wrong with just throwing them sometimes. I mean if ur opponent is always having 2 worry about the turnips ur throwing then u r already gimping there gameplay which is a plus.

There are plenty of ways turnips can be used and I dont think there is really a wrong way 2 apply them, also as a side note if u want 2 get a bit of extra range on ur turnips u can press forward A like u would a smash attack and they will go even further than normal

Latte

Smash Ace
In addition to what has already been said, you can drop them while you're hopping/flying over your opponent. I forgot which button is drop, but I think it's whatever grab is set to.

Also, if you have a turnip in your hand when you see that your opponent is approaching, you can throw the turnip up; countless times I've had the turnip hit and/or interrupt combos when it falls.

Last edited:

SoraDreamer

Smash Cadet
I never understood this technic of "Thowing out of shield". Is it hard to do?

I also heard about the "Turnip Throw Cancel" and "Turnip Pull Cancel.". Can you tell me more about these technics?

Latte

Smash Ace
I never understood this technic of "Thowing out of shield". Is it hard to do?

I also heard about the "Turnip Throw Cancel" and "Turnip Pull Cancel.". Can you tell me more about these technics?
To throw a turnip out of shield, all you do is
1. Hold a turnip
2. Shield
3. Press A

Info regarding turnip pull cancelling/throw cancelling can be found here.

Last edited:

SoraDreamer

Smash Cadet
What is special with the "Turnip out of shield" technic? I mean, you just throw your turnip while you have your shield? What's the utility of this? When is it useful to do it? And why?

And I still don't understand the Turnip throw cancel. Yiu do the animation of throwing it but you don't?

Latte

Smash Ace
What is special with the "Turnip out of shield" technic? I mean, you just throw your turnip while you have your shield? What's the utility of this? When is it useful to do it? And why?

And I still don't understand the Turnip throw cancel. Yiu do the animation of throwing it but you don't?
You can block an attack, then instantly punish the attack with a turnip. I generally do this when I have a stitch-face turnip (stitch face turnips are the turnips with the largest amount of knockback and damage) so that my hit is guaranteed.

For reference, this is a stitch face turnip:

I'm not a Peach main, so I don't really understand the cancelling moves either, TBH. Hopefully someone else who knows more can give you some pointers.

itrombe

Smash Cadet
NNID
itrombe
Turnip drop (Grab/Z) into back air is a simple combo that can help you get used to the turnip's awkward throw and fall speeds.

SoraDreamer

Smash Cadet
Me neither I'm not a Peach main, but I like her a bit. I knew about the StitchFace Turnip. The dot-shaped eyes turnip is the second stronger too. But thank you for the help you gave me. It already helped me a lot.

itrombe

Smash Cadet
NNID
itrombe
When you're holding a turnip, press your grab button, and you'll drop it. Immediately out of the drop, you can aerial; done while you're touching the turnip, you'll grab it again, but otherwise it still does the same damage as a regular turnip throw.

Vyledust

Smash Cadet
NNID
vyledust
3DS FC
4828-5240-3817
Switch FC
SW-0024-1518-2334
For edgeguarding, just anticipate their recovery path and have the turnip hit them at the best time so they can not. That is so satisfying to me.

SoraDreamer

Smash Cadet
When you're holding a turnip, press your grab button, and you'll drop it. Immediately out of the drop, you can aerial; done while you're touching the turnip, you'll grab it again, but otherwise it still does the same damage as a regular turnip throw.
This technic I can do it ! I just have some difficulties sometimes to do my aerial fast enough to catch it. Sometimes it falls faster than me. I just think I'm not dropping it when I'm at the higher point of my jump. But I don't see also the utility to do this because:
1. you can do aerial while you are floating even if you have a turnip (you can't throw a turnip while floating)
2. you cannot do this technic if you move in the air, you have to be jumping without horizontal movements
3. you can pluck another turnip just after. (Is it COMPULSORY to have one in PERMANENCE???).

Last edited:

Piano

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
4940-5477-9207
I think everything's been said. They serve many uses and I don't think there's a bad way of using them (unless you throw them to the ground while on it, of course). But I need to clarify that you can actually throw a turnip while you're floating, using the B button.

SoraDreamer

Smash Cadet
Oh thank you, I didn't know that, but me, I was talking when we press A. It's real I forgot to say this. It is just that iTrope give me a tip to do an aerial while I am holding a Turnip because if I press A in the air, I throw it. But If I have a turnip while I'm floating and I press A to do an aerial, I'll do an aerial and I won't throw the Turnip. But thank you I didn't know I could throw it with B if I float.

Any other tips?

Last edited:

Latte

Smash Ace
I think everything's been said. They serve many uses and I don't think there's a bad way of using them (unless you throw them to the ground while on it, of course). But I need to clarify that you can actually throw a turnip while you're floating, using the B button.
Really? I had no idea; thanks for pointing that out!

Finally, I just discovered that the Turnip Pull Cancelling (by sliding) was "fixed", removed, with the patch 1.0.4.
Oh, that sucks. No wonder it wasn't working for me when I was trying to get it right earlier.

SoraDreamer

Smash Cadet
Me too I was wondering why it wasn't working for me but now I know why. And it really sucks indeed. This technic looks (or looked) really useful.

I hope I'll learn other ways to use these famous turnips. Or just to play Peach at her best.

Piano

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
4940-5477-9207
Sorry you can't do it with B (since it sends Toad) but with down B, although it cancels the float right after throwing the turnip.

Top Bottom