• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Need help deciding a main. Kirby vs Lucario

JJ259

Smash Apprentice
Well, I mained Kirby in 64 and tried to main him in melee. Ever since brawl has been out, I've been completely 50/50 torn between Lucario and Kirby as mains and I thought that maybe a little advice would be useful.

One of my main concerns with Kirby thus far has been his (at least in my case) inability to go from a defensive situation into an offensive one. For example, a character like Ike keeping on the hurt, flying from either side of the stage, and myself unable to get back into the offensive.

Also, although I don't have much experience in a wide range of 1v1ing different characters mainly because I live in Hawaii and only play with the same 2/3 people constantly, I have noticed a trend that characters that are faster than Kirby really impose a lot of difficulty...A few examples would be MT(>.<) and maybe Pikachu.

If I could upload a video I would but I currently have no way of transporting from my Wii to my comp.

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
If you like being able to pull off REAL combos, and chain throws on heavy characters from 0>80% at the start of a match as well as having the best hitboxes in the game and incredible priority, range, spacing and aerial ability, go with Lucario.

If you prefer power, air control, recovery ability and a super off-the stage gimping game with an abundance of useful spikes, as well as plenty of good ways to stop headstrong rushes, go with Kirby.

JJ259

Smash Apprentice
ugh...you basically just described what I've been thinking over for quite a while. The problem is, I seem to be pretty equal when fighting with them. I really wish that there were tourneys in Hawaii around where I live so I would be able to test which one is better verses a wide range of playstyles/characters.

Thinking it over, since I'm not really able to get to any competitions, is it possible for a Kirby main to actually compete and stand a chance to win a tourney?

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
Of course there is. In my opinion Kirby and Lucario are pretty much equal in terms of how good they are as characters. Both of them are very strong and have a load of options to work with. Kirby just gets KOes off a lot sooner than Lucario, who takes more skill to play effectively but is well worth it once you know what you're doing.

JJ259

Smash Apprentice
One more question while you're at it...I haven't gotten much practice other than against the same 2 or 3 people but how does Kirby fair in bigger FFAs? The only time I was able to fight people other than the same few was like 2 days after getting brawl and no one was awesome yet.

Jester Kirby

Smash Journeyman
NNID
JesterKirby
Kirby can either own in FFAs or totally suck in them, depends on your map awareness. As for your delima, just main with them both...

3xSwords

Smash Lord
i say main one and have the other b the secondary
btw kirby forums y do i see the most topics titled"who should I main kirby or _____"
on your forums?
lol
at least kirby is popular
also if you are the type tat likes to live a long time pick lucario
because he gets power+ on his moves the more damage he has
but besides tat kirby all the way!!!!!

Feryx

Smash Apprentice
Those two characters happen to be my mains, they offer a nice contrast of styles and are both awesome. Just keep getting better with both, I say ^^

Dizzynecro

Smash Journeyman
Kirby is better I think plus the versitility of Nuetral b is cool to have. Lucario is pretty good but kirby is awesome now.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
I was a former Kirby mainer, but then I switched to Lucario. Kirby has much better air control, and has some decent power in him (he has an ability in his games (not brawl) that can split a planet, no wonder), but overall, I liked Lucario due to his comboing ability. Btw, I have 3-4 mains, so it doesn't hurt to have them both (it gives u an edge in tournaments, especially if u play the characters drastically different in styles, like offense vs. defense, air vs. ground, etc.)

SLIVRphantasm

Smash Cadet
kirby has faster and better control in the air but he requires more practice then lucario but his special is not as good as lucarios.but lucario has percent thing and he has more range and aura sphere i think you should main kirby if you wanna work more then lucario to get good. but lucario is good and takes time but that time is shorter then kirbys.

secondary the one you arent maining but this is just my oppinion

CaliburChamp

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-6575-2504
I have more than one Main. Its either Kirby, Metaknight, and Lucario. And my secondaries are Sonic and Toon Link. Just practice with them both. Eventually you will find your true main. I havent quite found mine yet. But I will with more competition.

Top Bottom