• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Need Help choosing a main

DanteFox

Smash Champion
OK, so back in the days of Melee, I mained Fox. Long story short, I'm good at Melee but now I suck at Brawl. None of the characters are fast or offensive enough for me. Any suggestions as to whom I should main? Anyone with the same problem as me? I'm curious to know, former Fox players, who do you main in Brawl?

blitzjg

Smash Rookie
fox was one of my mains although i don't think i ever was a pro, though extremely good outside of that classification, I am also struggling finding a main, There are a few I would like to think I enjoy playing with but none that I am confident enough to committing too, or notice a greater skill with... Also I would say the lack of my knowledge of other characters' moves and ranges leaves me at a disadvantage against most opponents since I do not fully know what they are capable of.

-Linko-

Smash Journeyman
Back when Melee was released... Who would you reccomend to main to old Kirby 64 mainers??

Main that one.

RickettsZ22

Smash Cadet
im wondering what is wrong with fox they haven't really changed anything about him, i didn't main him so i don't know, but he was one of my better, i was a falco main. and i would tell kirby 64 mainers to main kirby

TheForger

Smash Rookie
Sunnyvale, California, United States, North Americ
I suggest playing through Subspace to get a feel for every character. It isn't a great way to test out their 1 on 1 but you'll get a good idea of how everyone works. If you feel really good with a character try them out in an actual battle and see where it goes.

Rampage

vx
As a former fox main in melee I still use fox. haha and marth falco Ganon I use a ton of characters. I don't really main anybody. I like to play as fast characters but brawl isn't meant to be fast so I play with those that are good in brawl.

marth

Just go through SSE and you'll eventually run into somebody you like. My money is on you likeing Zamus

Mikezor

Smash Journeyman
Sadly, this game isn't very fast paced, and being offensive/pressuring is much harder.

Have you tried Zero Suit Samus?

Edit: Wow, the guy above me must be thinking the exact same things as me.

petrie911

Smash Journeyman
^only with a bunny hood, IIRC.

But anyways, you might want to try Diddy Kong. In my experience, he seems to be able to put a good amount of pressure on the opponent and is quite fast.

Sikarios

Smash Cadet
Mario! He's deceptively good, and somewhat akin to a Fox. I'd also recommend playing a character w/ either a sword or projectile b/c those seem to be huge advantages at this stage of the game.

Frey

Smash Journeyman
Fox and falco were my mains in melee, but since then I have decided on dedede as my main. However Wolf is a close secondary.

Me Myself and Jy

Smash Cadet
Forward was a good Fox/Falco player and I think one of the two or three characters he's working on for Brawl is Pit. Pit is pretty annoying because of his arrows and he's good at racking up damage pretty fast. When he's pulled into close combat he can also hold his own. I recommend giving Pit a shot.

Foofshenheimer

Smash Cadet
i say play some 1 player classic or SSE to get a feel for the characters. personally it took me a while to settle on a main, i started by using falco b/c i mained him in SSBM, he was nerfed up the @** so i switched to pit b/c i thought he looked cool, was fast, and had good projectiles, turns out he has horrible KO potential so i switched to my alternate melee character, Marth. It felt good because he does well in Basic Brawl (doesnt matter) and didnt feel like he was changed all that much. Then I was just messing around using all the characters in a 1v1 against my friend and stumbled across Lucas. He fit my playing Style perfectly and is my current main.

~AKA: Play everyone and see who fits you best.

OnettSphere

Smash Cadet
i say play some 1 player classic or SSE to get a feel for the characters. personally it took me a while to settle on a main, i started by using falco b/c i mained him in SSBM, he was nerfed up the @** so i switched to pit b/c i thought he looked cool, was fast, and had good projectiles, turns out he has horrible KO potential so i switched to my alternate melee character, Marth. It felt good because he does well in Basic Brawl (doesnt matter) and didnt feel like he was changed all that much. Then I was just messing around using all the characters in a 1v1 against my friend and stumbled across Lucas. He fit my playing Style perfectly and is my current main.

~AKA: Play everyone and see who fits you best.
Well put.
Try everyone and see who you *click* with
Maybe, change your playing style from fast to a slower, but power character
Experimentation on your part, will have the best results

If you really want a recommendation, I'd have to say Lucario.

NessOnett

Smash Journeyman
Well put.
Try everyone and see who you *click* with
Maybe, change your playing style from fast to a slower, but power character
Experimentation on your part, will have the best results
I'd suggest the same thing, but taken to a greater extreme. It is a lot harder to do now that there are more characters, but if you are really serious about picking a good main; then i'd set aside a day to play exclusively with each character. Play in FFAs and 1v1s, classic, all-star, vs. humans and comps, and get a decent feel for the character. Then the next day, go to the next character on the roster(at least the ones you could see yourself using...skip a character if you truly despise everything about them). After what should be 39 days, then pick about 4 who you really liked more than any others. Now do the same thing again, but put a week into each. Spend the first day on the forums reading about them, on youtube watching videos, and try to understand their (current) metagame. Spend your second day of each in training mode practicing the ATs you learned, and getting a better understanding of their combos and such. Then spend the last 5 days playing as much as possible and trying to put knowledge to good use. Yes i realize that in the end you will have spent over 2 months choosing a main, but if you are going to be playing this game for years then in the end it won't seem like that much for what you get out of it. In the end you will have a main that you understand, like, and work well with...as well as a few alts that you are good with as well.

MTFFFG

Smash Apprentice
if you main lucas then you will have to put effort to become good with him. Every character also needs effort but since you main lucas i'll help you since i am also maining him. If you want to make it easier on yourself just use bsticking because otherwise it will be much harder to learn the pk waveland and zap jump. Also he is all about keeping your spacing by spamming pk fire. Go to the lucas thread if you want to know more, it helps alot.

tense

Smash Cadet
You can pick whoever you want at this point; the game hasn't exactly developed much of a competitive tier. Just keep in mind that you might have to switch if you ever want to compete in tournaments. If you don't, then play as whomever you please. I'm a Fire Emblem fanatic, so I play Marth and a lot of Ike too. It's a game. Have fun.

Circu

Smash Rookie
I was in the same boat you are in... I wanted a character that played like fox, someone fast and who could keep pressure on... At first I grabbed Metaknight, his attacks are extremely fast and is decent at keeping pressure on an opponent. A weak later I was looking for a new main. He is good, but he isn't fox. I was playing around with fox the other day when my friend was over and it only took him a second to find out what my problem was, i was playing my fox slower, more conservative. I was trying to dodge everything and counter attack. I guess I got in my head that brawl is slower so I needed to play slower. So the next match I just went all out aggressive to see if that was the problem... and it was... So make sure you didn't do what I did and try to change your fox too much to fit the new game, he can still be played in a similar way as melee... you'll notice he's actually stronger now, it seems all his smashes can KO...

bgh0521

Smash Rookie
Try Pit or Rob, They both have KO power and a jumps that are virtually unrivaled.

spacemanspiff

Smash Journeyman
i was a sheik mainer in melee but i played a little fox and i played my shiek very much link a fox tactically speaking. meaning super offensive. i've been having problems chosing a main aswell. so far i've been maining toon link and game and watch

WhoseReality?

Smash Apprentice
Another way of looking at it might be taking your style of play (all-out and aggressive) and trying to impose it on an unlikely character. With so much up for grabs in terms of tier, developing a new style with GaW, Lucario, or whoever might catch people off guard and rake in a few victories.

Illussionary

Smash Journeyman
I had the same problem, and too be honest I don't even really know how I solved it. I was just fooling around with Wario, and he just clicked with me. He's been my main ever since.

R3v3nant

Smash Cadet
You might want to try out wolf since you're used to fox's play style. If you want an offensive character you could also try young link or maybe sheik

aids514

Smash Cadet
I was a Falco main in Melee and while I still use him quite often (mainly against my friend's Ike though) I now somewhat main Diddy. He's fast with some great KO moves and an extremely annoying vB. Excellent recovery too. Only downside is that he dies at pretty low percentages. But if you're good enough that shouldn't be a problem.

Seriously, give Diddy a try, he's sweet. And trust me, nothing in the world feels better than a Diddy hump spike.

GoForkUrself

Smash Apprentice
I am personally trying to learn how to play as many characters as I can stand, and learn their AT's and strategies. My theory is that if I know how to use all the characters on an good/advanced level, I will know how to counter all of them and also will be familiar with their AT's. Sure you can learn about characters by playing against them, but you certainly learn a lot more if you play as them. I know every Ike approach, all his spikes, AT's, SAF's, approaches, recovery, as well as all the hitboxes and knockback for all his attacks. Any Ike main will have struggles going against me, because I know Ike inside-out even though he isn't my main and most likely they won't know my DDD as thoroughly. I want to be able to have this advantage as much as possible, so I am working on learning all the high tier characters, as well as my personal faves who are low-mid tier(ganon, ness etc.). Currently I am trying to figure out why many people say Luigi is amazing by learning how to use him. Off to the Luigi boards for me.

It's okay to play as many characters, just make sure your learning some character specific AT's. If your using Snake without grenade dropping, Toon Link without SHDA's, Lucas without B-sticking, DDD without chain grabs, Ike without Grand Vipers, or Bowser without infinite jumping, you aren't really "using" them, and they should be played with less unless you plan to learn how to do those things, or don't care about getting better at the game.

MorpheusVGX

Smash Journeyman
The problem, guys, is that in Melee you mained overpowered characters like Fox, Falco and Sheik, that had both speed and power. There are not perfect characters like that this time. The closest to that balance may be Pikachu, Wolf, Toon Link. Which can move fast and have strong attacks.

Ballistaboy

Smash Journeyman
personally, go to the tournament results thread find charachters from there, the good ones that stand out are, Diddy, Marth, Olimar, Toon Link, Wolf, ROB i guess since Overswarm, I hear lucario is good, i play Lucas, i like pit

But choose someone with projectiles cuz they are the way to win

Browny

Smash Hater
personally, go to the tournament results thread find charachters from there, the good ones that stand out are, Diddy, Marth, Olimar, Toon Link, Wolf, ROB i guess since Overswarm, I hear lucario is good, i play Lucas, i like pit

But choose someone with projectiles cuz they are the way to win
noooooo dont be a tier wh*re!!

theres no satisfaction in playing if you instantly choose to main the best characters. At least try them all and see who you like, then if you feel like being ultra competitive you can tier wh*re all you like :p

If you dont like fox in brawl, (and want to stay away from the space animals in general) someone like pikachu is good. Annoyingly fast, nice combos and some projectile spam like fox did in melee.

As a lucario mainer i cant understand why people are saying choose him, the two are so different. fox was all about drill kicks and laser spam, lucario is a slower, more graceful fighter. That said, Lucario owns :D

DarthAardvark

Smash Rookie
I mained fox in melee, and I still do now. from what I've noticed you can't really pressure as easily as you used to, and really have to change your game up when playing different types of characters.

Distancing and mindgames (juke!) play in even more so now, especially with sword wielders . The fact that the shine doesn't have as much knockback makes spiking a lot harder. Usually it'll take two to finish the job, although the footstool jump makes things for some cool moves, but that could be said for any character.

I'd recommend playing around with him before totally giving up.

If that doesn't sound like something you want to try, might I recommend Pikachu? I've been toying around with him and the little bugger is vicious. I mained him in the original, and I'm thinking about making him my second in Brawl. He's fast and packs a bigger punch than in melee. Plus have a projectile is always nice for applying pressure *cough cough Toon Link cough cough*

Toon Link is pretty evil too.

mostly though you'll have to play around with it, maybe you'll develop a new style this time around. And there's nothing wrong with that (although I really haven't)

theJollity

Smash Rookie
I went straight from the N64 SSB to Brawl, so I don't know much about Melee aside from what I've heard from my friends. Apparently the characters in Brawl are more balanced now, especially in characters that were considered "broken" in Melee like Sheik, Fox, etc.

I say keep trying to play with Fox. It'll be good for your game to try to adapt to the new ways in Brawl. But if you really can't, take the advice of the people before me and try to find someone similar like Toon Link or Lucario in terms of balancing power with speed.

ellelaby's younger brother

Smash Apprentice
I suggest playing through Subspace to get a feel for every character. It isn't a great way to test out their 1 on 1 but you'll get a good idea of how everyone works. If you feel really good with a character try them out in an actual battle and see where it goes.
I agree with this.

If you want an offensive players (like Fox from melee) try out Fox for a while and see how it goes. But dont expect to get anyway playing offensively. I used to main Falco in Melee and I am maining him now in Brawl. Hes very different, (the best spacer for sure and one of the best characters, top tier pl0x) than he was in Melee but hes turning out to be truly awesome.

I suggest giving Falco a try for 10 days, work on all his techniques and skills and everything. For the first week you'll get no where at all and then everything just starts coming and your p00ning.,

Kirby Redux

Smash Journeyman
If you tried fox and dont like him, id say either go for one of the other space animals or Lucario or even ZSS. I personally really like Kirby, as his attacks are now much more fast paced and has a deadly air game. Just my preference, but ya know :D

Olimarman

Smash Ace
I mained fox in melee and hes still in my top 3 in brawl. He has changed a bit and does need some time getting used to. I main Olimar, Fox and Meta Knight. Like many have said SSE is a good place to try out new characters.

Top Bottom