• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Need advice for this matchup! (vids are in the topic)

Bartolon

Smash Lord

PKNintendo

Smash Master
Well he doesn't CG so thats good...
InB4 Marth mains saying OLOLOL Ness!

IDK, stick to the air. Ness fair outranges believe it or not.
Backthrow kills early, he outranges you in the ground, e.c.t

Bartolon

Smash Lord
But he doesn't get grabbed that easily :/
Fair works well, but when he places a good fair he can follow up with something nice.
I thought about camping a little with the fair and PKT, but I still have to test it.

Gaussis

Smash Ace
There's a lot I see wrong in the matches you play. Against Marth, you can't just charge at him like that. He's a very good defensive character and doing that will only get you beat. I suggest you stay back and only get close when you can get a hit. Otherwise, keep away from him.

You have two projectiles, one that has to be used carefully, the other not fully reliable. Those projectiles are PK Thunder and PK Fire respectively. They can hinder Marth, but only under specific situations (as he can swat PKT and just avoid PK Fire). Use them carefully.

Play defensively. As in let him approach you. Fair walls can be countered with either PK Fire or dash attack. A DJ aerial might also work depending on the situation.

The Marth needs to UP-B MOAR. :lick:

Uffe

Smash Hero
Well that explains. You're fighting Mr-R... You make him look easy but I've heard he's pretty good. You kind of rushed into him. Marth's fair is good, but a rising fair with Ness can tamper with Marth's which should work quite well if you're rising from below him while he's in the air. Also, try and avoid using back throws. Save those for when the time is right. Your Ness kind of reminds me of mine with the PSI Magnet stall and falling from above the opponent with the PSI Magnet. I feel like you're watching how my Ness plays. :laugh:

Anyway, look here. Perhaps this can give you an idea of how to fight Marth, though this video is fairly old.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjwYWo3rsDY

I have one where I fought this punk *** Marth main named Ex_Omega. He was pretty good, but he got to the point where he'd just use Counter every time. One of us left, he said I was boring and I stated that he was also boring for just Countering. Personally I don't think Marth is as much of a threat as he was in Melee. I think in Brawl Ness actually has a chance despite that death grab.

Bartolon

Smash Lord
But it seems I only have a chance when Im constantly attacking against his marth, If I don't set pressure he beats me up. Thus If I get it straight: Fewer grabs only when he's on high percents? More PKT, MorIe Fair?
And believe me his marth is really difficult it's like Don't get hit, or he beats you up :/
But I like the advice.

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
I keep seeing this.

You're not using Ness' double jump properly.

At 2:11 in the vid of the match you lost, there's no reason to jump straight up. Ness, unlike any other character (even Lucas) has the option to jump backwards, but then move forwards again by the peak of the jump. His jump just manages to work like that. Every other character gets the biggest boost at the beginning so they don't have this option, plus (except for Lucas) they lose just the tiniest bit of height.

You don't.

Mixing up your jump trajectories is one of the key ways I use Ness to confuse other players, and frankly I'm surprised it's not common practice around here. :ohwell:

AvariceX

Smash Champion
NNID
AvariceX
3DS FC
1177-8001-5699
I only watched the first match but I saw something horribly wrong. Every time you grabbed you bthrowed. Every time you grabbed you should not have bthrowed. Don't use bthrow at low percents, ever. You have other throws that do more damage, setup better, and/or knockback further at low percents, and bthrow needs to be saved for kills.

Bartolon

Smash Lord
Okay thanks Avarice. PK-ow I didn't did that in those matches but most of the time I do it okay with the double jump. Don't know why I didn't do it properly there but though. Any Idea how to edgeguard marth properly?

AvariceX

Smash Champion
NNID
AvariceX
3DS FC
1177-8001-5699
Marth pretty much doesn't get edgeguarded. Your best bet is probably to poke him with PK Thunders and hope it stage spikes him out of his up-b.

M

+9999999999
NNID
Meteor
If used right, PK thunder is probably one of the few effective moves Ness has on Marth.

AvariceX: Lies, dropping a nair on a Marth below the ledge is great. You take a hit from the up B as well, but he would often be gimped, stage spiked, etc..

M

+9999999999
NNID
Meteor
It's unlikely if the Marth is closer to the stage than you. You'd want to pull away from the ledge when you drop.

Mr-R

Smash Champion
i shouldnt actually be sayin this cause im ur oponnent, but what the hell

using pk thunder for an edge guard actually works really well sometimes i even stage spike

Top Bottom