• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Need advice for my Team construction

Bladefist137

Smash Cadet
Hello everyone, i’m currently stuck with what kind of team i really want :confused: I have a idea tho but i don’t know if that team will do the trick and thats why i want to ask you guys to rate it :)
Please note that i learned about compatitive battling(EVs, Natures, **** like that :dizzy:) only a few weeks ago and that i mindlessly played the game without thinking about it :chuckle: Also i don’t have alot of Battle Points so i’m kinda doing it with the supplies that i have. note: I have completely overhauled my team now after lots of time breeding, saving up BPs etc. (30/09/2009)
Anyways here is the team that i have in mind:

Metagross @ Occa Berry
Nature: Adamant
Ability: Clear Body
Ev: 252 HP, 236 Atk, 12 Def, 8 Spe
Stealth Rock
Earthquake
Bullet Punch
Explosion

Reason being in the team:
He's gonna be the lead of my team to set stealth rock and if he can, take out the other team's lead pokémon with either Earthquake or Explosion. Bullet Punch to screw up their focus sash^^ Occa berry to make sure Metagross doesn't get KOed by any Fire attacks.

Empoleon @ Leftovers
Nature: Modest
Ev: 232 Spe, 252 Satk, 24 HP
Ice Beam
Grass Knot
Surf
Agility

Reason being in the team: I want him to be my special sweeper, i have breeded empoleon for Agility, allowing him to outrun most pokémon that would strike back with a Super effective atack otherwise, altho i'm aware of that he is very crippled if he gets paralyzed >_<. I might change his moveset by replacing Grass Knot with Substitute and give him a Petaya berry and see how that goes.

Lucario @ Salac Berry
Ability: Steadfast/Inner Focus (can't decide between the 2 abilities)
Ev: 252 Atk, 4 Def, 252 Spe
Close Combat
Substitute
Swords Dance
ExtremeSpeed/Ice Punch/Crunch/Stone Edge

Reason being in the team: I really love Lucario^^ Plus Lucario is a excellect Physical Sweeper to boast :p. Want to set him in once the other team's has been weakened by my own pokémon, Stealth Rock damage. I absolutely cannot decide between the 4 moves that i have listed as my final move.

Latias @ Light Clay
Nature: Timid
Ev: 252 HP, 4 Def, 252 Spe
Reflect
Light Screen
Safeguard/Dragon Pulse
Wish

Reason Being in the Team: My Dual Screener ^^ And Wish support ofc :p. Dunno if i should take Dragon Pulse so that Latias can still attack and doesn't get completely locked if taunted or Safeguard to protect my pokémon against status attacks.

Salamence @ Life Orb
Nature: Mild
Ev: 84 Atk, 216 Sp.atk, 208 Spe
Draco Meteor
Earthquake
Outrage
Fire Blast

Reason being in the team: I really love dragon pokémons^^ And Salamence's job is not KOing pokémon (if he can, then ofc KO the pokémon) but rather putting a big dent into as much pokémon as possible and since Salamence can do that both ways, he fits the role quite well to be fair :p

Scizor @ Leftovers
Ev: 200 HP, 252 Atk, 56 Spe
Ability: Technician
Swords Dance
Bullet Punch
Superpower
Roost

Reason being in the team: I want him to be my Physical wall (Kinda)pokémon while still retaining his ability to sweep if needed.

Well that is basically the team that i wanna make. It’s more a team of my favorite pokémon rather than wisely picking each pokemon for each role to forfill. Plus i wanna which 3 of these pokemon would do very good in the battle frontier (any mode). Feel free to tell what pokemon would also do good in the team that i have listed here :p

SpiredMoth

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3540-1813-9781
i dont actually have experience in competitive battling, but im willing to share my opinions on your team

for drifblim i would move the HP EVs to Defense because it might help it survive a hit. also, metal powder only works on ditto so id switch it with focus sash

if youre planning to use Empoleon as a wall, give is leftovers instead of choice specs

lucario seems fine to me but im not too good at knowing good movesets sorry

umbreon is made well but is completely stopped by a fast taunter so be careful when using it

salamence looks good as well. id go with stone edge for coverage on flying types

rhyperior looks basic but should work well just beware special attacks that will most likely OHKO him

you will probably need a different team for the battle tower and should breed for as strong versions of all your pokes as possible. just remember these are my opinions and there are many more in this forum more knowledgeable and more experienced than me

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Since you're not using Shoddy, I'm not going to recommend you replace any Pokemon, even in cases where you should. It sounds like you don't have the time / resources to do so.

Drifblim @ Metal Powder
Ability: Aftermath (I was so happy that he had Timid nature, that i forgot to check his ability)
Ev: 252 HP, 252 SpD, 6 Satk
Thunderbolt
Substitute
Baton Pass
Calm Mind

Reason being in the team:
I want to have Drifblim to be the lead of my team as i want to use him either for passing down Subs/calm mind for my sweepers or passing down a Sub to Rhyperior to help him set up Stealth Rock

Why Thunderbolt? Toss the Metal Powder, give it a Focus Sash, Leftovers, or Leichi / Salac / Petaya Berry.

Empoleon @ Choice Specs
Nature: Quiet (he is my first pokémon, i don’t really want to dump him :p)
Ev: 252 HP, 252 Satk, 6 SpD
Ice Beam
Grass Knot
Surf
Substitute

Reason being in the team: Well like i said, he is my first pokemon and i don’t want to dump him :p Wanted to make him a bulky sweeper as he has a quiet nature hurting his speed :-/ And i don’t really know what other move to give him to replace substitute on him (his HP turns out to be Bug). I wanted him to be my Sp.Def wall too :p.

Ignoring the nature, good. Leftovers or Life Orb.

Lucario @ Life Orb
Nature: Naughty
Ability: Steadfast
Ev: 120 Atk, 120 Satk, 252 SpD
Aura Sphere
Dark Pulse(currently)/Shadow Claw/Shadow Ball
^ note: i dunno what of the 3 moves i should keep.
Blaze Kick
ExtremeSpeed/Ice Punch

Reason being in the team: I really love Lucario^^ And i like mixed sweepers and that is what i aimed for with my lucario. I still have Extremespeed as i’m wondering if i should give him Ice Punch or not as i don’t have many shards sadly enough :urg:.

ExtremeSpeed is an awesome attack, keep it.
Shadow Ball is superior to Dark Pulse in terms of coverage. Rotom usually runs Def EVs, so go with Shadow Ball.
Why no Speed EVs?

Umbreon @ Leftovers
Nature: Bold
Ev: 252 HP, 252 Def, 6 Sp.Def
Mean Look
Taunt
Baton Pass
Wish

Reason Being in the Team: I want to trap pokémon with Umbreon with Mean Look and possiblely Taunt to lock out their support moves and then baton pass it to one of my sweepers to take them out without having the fear for a switch out and Wish as i felt like that my team needs a healer to heal my pokemon (especially Lucario’s Life Orb damage and Drifblim) :p

Good stuff

Salamence @ Choice Band
Nature: Naughty
Ev: 4 Hp, 252 Atk, 252 SpD
Outrage
Earthquake
Stone Edge/Aqua Tail
Fire Blast

Reason being in the team: I really love dragon pokémons^^ and I want to have a Physical sweeper in my team too so that i don’t get walled badly by Sp.Def walls :p And i know having fire blast in a choice band set is bad but i want it to take out Skarmory and Bronzong and i think fire blast still does more damage than a choice band powered Fire Fang :-/.

Get rid of the 252 SpD EVs and put them in Speed.

Stone Edge hits Gyarados. Aqua Tail doesn't really hit anything.

0 SpAtk Fire Blast vs. 252 / 252 Skarmory with + nature:
256 Atk vs 262 Def & 334 HP (120 Base Power): 170 - 200 (50.90% - 59.88%)
+1 252 + nature SpAtk Fire Fang vs. 252 / 0 Skarmory:
607 Atk vs 316 Def & 334 HP (65 Base Power): 180 - 212 (53.89% - 63.47%)

(Assuming Levitate) (Most Bronzong run near equal SpDef and Def EVs)
0 SpAtk Fire Blast vs. 252 / 0 Bronzong:
405 Atk vs 268 Def & 338 HP (120 Base Power): 260 - 308 (76.92% - 91.12%)
+1 252 + nature SpAtk Fire Fang vs. 252 / 0 Bronzong:
607 Atk vs 268 Def & 338 HP (65 Base Power): 212 - 250 (62.72% - 73.96%)

In short, Fire Blast > Fire Fang.

Rhyperior @ Leftovers
Nature: Impish
Ev: 252 Hp, 6 Atk, 252 Def
Ability: Solid Rock
Earthquake
Stone Edge
Megahorn
Stealtk Rock

Reason being in the team: I want him to be my Physical wall pokémon and stealth rock launcher while still being able to hurt my opponents. Not much to say about him :p.

Hm... interesting choice of Pokemon. EdgeQuake is good, Megahorn could be replaced by Avalanche if you have Dragon problems. Good.

Bladefist137

Smash Cadet
Thx alot for the replies so far and sorry for the confusion Annoying >.< With SpD i meant speed of course instead of Sp.def as i would have putted Sp.def instead of SpD but it is a mistake of mine as it does kinda look like Sp.def yeah:dizzy: What should i do with the Choice Specs if Empoleon is not going to use?:confused: and on the drifblim part, heard from a few people that thunderbolt works better because you can fend off skarmory with it :p

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
What should i do with the Choice Specs if Empoleon is not going to use?:confused:

on the drifblim part, heard from a few people that thunderbolt works better because you can fend off skarmory with it :p
Um... you could just, well, hold on to it.

More common leads resist Thunderbolt than Shadow Ball. As a lead, Thunderbolt is a meh attack, Hippowdon, Swampert, and Roserade resist it. STAB Shadow Ball hits Azelf super-effectively and hits every other common lead neutrally.

SpiredMoth

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3540-1813-9781
Thx alot for the replies so far and sorry for the confusion Annoying >.< With SpD i meant speed of course instead of Sp.def as i would have putted Sp.def instead of SpD but it is a mistake of mine as it does kinda look like Sp.def yeah:dizzy: What should i do with the Choice Specs if Empoleon is not going to use?:confused: and on the drifblim part, heard from a few people that thunderbolt works better because you can fend off skarmory with it :p
to avoid confusion between sp.def and speed EVs, write speed as Spe

as for the choice specs, you shouldnt use them because others do. just leave it in the bag

crynts

Smash Cadet
Other than what has already been mentioned, I reccomend changing Umbreon's item to Chopel Berry to survive one Close Combat or other fighting move and actually be able to pass. Wish is perfectly fine for recovery. For Lucario, I reccomend that you use this moveset:

-Close Combat (Turns a lot of 2KO's into 1KO's, but if you don't like the side affect, then stick with Aura Sphere)
- Shadow Ball (Gives perfect coverage with Close Combat and hits most pokemon weak to ghost harder than Shadow Claw)
- Ice Punch/Stone Edge (Hits Gliscor for massive damage or seriously hurts Gyarados. Blaze Kick won't be hitting anything signifigant.)
- Extremespeed (Best priority attack in the game)

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Super-effective berries aren't something that you can say "oh, go with this berry" most of the time. For example, maybe your team has trouble with LO SD Scizor. You might give Tyranitar a Babiri Berry and Fire Punch instead of Choice Band and Aqua Tail. Suppose your team has a weakness to Mixed Infernape, you might give Empoleon a Chople Berry instead of Leftovers. In most cases, Leftovers is better than Chople Berry for your Umbreon. Try your team out, and if you have trouble with Fighting attacks, go ahead and slap on the berry.

crynts

Smash Cadet
I can see why leftovers is better than chopel berry in most cases. but many people automatically switch to their fighting type when they see an Umbreon. Once the opponent figures out that you are a trap passer, they won't be taking any chances and will go to their fighting type. However, there is a way to be able to succesfully trap pass and hold leftovers. Just change Taunt into Yawn. Umbreon is too slow to be able to taunt others from setting up once, but it can just Yawn and put them in a position where they need to switch out of fall asleep. Yawn can also be used once Umbreon is sent out and force the predicted fighting-type out and trap the next pokemon.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Empoleon @ Leftovers
Nature: Modest
Ev: 232 Spe, 252 Satk, 24 HP
Ice Beam
Grass Knot
Surf
Agility

Reason being in the team: I want him to be my special sweeper, i have breeded empoleon for Agility, allowing him to outrun most pokémon that would strike back with a Super effective atack otherwise, altho i'm aware of that he is very crippled if he gets paralyzed >_<. I might change his moveset by replacing Grass Knot with Substitute and give him a Petaya berry and see how that goes.

Lucario @ Salac Berry
Ability: Steadfast/Inner Focus (can't decide between the 2 abilities)
Ev: 252 Atk, 4 Def, 252 Spe
Close Combat
Substitute
Swords Dance
ExtremeSpeed/Ice Punch/Crunch/Stone Edge

Reason being in the team: I really love Lucario^^ Plus Lucario is a excellect Physical Sweeper to boast :p. Want to set him in once the other team's has been weakened by my own pokémon, Stealth Rock damage. I absolutely cannot decide between the 4 moves that i have listed as my final move.

When compared to the common movesets, you have Empoleon and Lucario switched around; traditionally, Empoleon run SubPetaya Agility sets, as the boost from Torrent is freaking amazing. Lucario has the movepool and stats to simply Swords Dance and sweep with his priority and coverage. I usually go with Inner Focus, against Serene Grace abusers.

Latias @ Light Clay
Ev: 252 HP, 4 Def, 252 Spe
Reflect
Light Screen
Safeguard/Dragon Pulse
Wish

Reason Being in the Team: My Dual Screener ^^ And Wish support ofc :p. Dunno if i should take Dragon Pulse so that Latias can still attack and doesn't get completely locked if taunted or Safeguard to protect my pokémon against status attacks.

Dragon Pulse, definitely. Either that, or Psycho Shift + Flame Orb >_>.
Your team has a Weavile weakness.

Bladefist137

Smash Cadet
May i ask why exactly does my team has a Weavile weakness? and pointing to annoying, if i'm gonna run a Subpetaya Empoleon, what item should i give Lucario as physical sweeper? (are you allowed to use 2 of the same item in the same team?)

supermarth64

Smash Ace
It was a joke.

Anyway, give it LO and get rid of Substitute. Give it Crunch over that.

It's fine to have 2 of the same item, as most people don't play with Item Clause.

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
Your team really hates ScarfCross except for Scizor, so shouldn't be a problem.

Also, I honestly think running SubPetaya on Empoleon is better than your current set.

-Terywj

Top Bottom