• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Need a high tier main

AAAAAA

Smash Cadet
hi. I need a high tier main. I already play Luigi and Young link, but i need someone to beat Fox and Falco and others. I was thinking of picking up Marth but im terrible at him,I cant play fox and I hate playing him and my Falco is eh. Not really sure who to play as i have no experience with anyone else in top tiers.

Pauer

The Pauerful
Marth, Sheik and Peach are good for starting out because they have lots of powerful moves and combos that require little tech-skill/practice.
I would advise you to try all of the top 8 characters a little bit in practice and see which one you like best or which character makes you want to practice and learn new things about them the most.

Arrogant Commander

Banned via Administration
just get good with luigi and young link i mean how good can the people beating you really be lol

KirinKQP

Smash Journeyman
Try Jigglypuff.

I'd say she is being debated in being a top 4 character, doesn't require tech skill to win sets and is overall great, aside that she gets killed very easily.

KEYLIME SSB

Smash Journeyman
As a fellow man of the green cap, I really think that if you try hard enough, you can do really well with Luigi. He has unparalleled vertical and aerial combo game, and very fast and precise ground and inter-platform movement. He has nice recovery if you use your cyclones right, and can kill at mid percents. Please stick with Luigi, it will do you a lot of good. But if you really want to change it up, I recommend Captain Falcon. He has amazing speed, aerials, grabs, and is an all-around great character.and he's a blast to play if you get him right.

Last edited:

LovinMitts

Smash Journeyman
Sheik might be to your taste, maybe. She's very fundamentals heavy, but you can get devastating punishes off of grabs once you learn the punishes. She's also amazing at gimping with either needles or fair/bair, netting lots of early stocks.

The biggest hurdles to playing her early on are:
-the fact that her dashdance isn't great, which causes her neutral to suffer a bit compared to other top tiers, but that just means you have to bait instead of approach yourself.
-punishing spacies with grab requires knowing how to techchase on reaction, which takes a lot of time/practice. wakeup shine will get you a lot, especially on tech in-place.

EDIT: in regards to the part about how you play multiple characters for different mathups-- i wouldn't recommend do that. Most people would recommend learning one character really well and only picking up a secondary if absolutely necessary/if certain matchups can't click with you no matter what you try. If you're not even a contender for PR in your region (depending on where it is), I'd say you probably have a lot to learn about playing with a single character before learning another

Last edited:

Mr_towel_Man

Smash Apprentice
Stick to your guns. It'll get you farther in the long run. Play the **** out of Young Link. Get good with Luigi

Karate Hottie

Smash Rookie
I think your fine with Luigi. Luigi covers a lot with the high tier characters in today's meta. Just keep practicing and watch some videos on why certain luigi players do certain things against a certain character.

Last edited:

XenoFalcon95

Smash Cadet
If you want to improve, then you should try to stick to what you're good at. Even low tiers can get work done at mid-level play, and even at top level, alot of of the best players have actually said that Luigi is super underrated.

In my not at all professional opinion, try to stick to what you're good at rather than switching characters multiple times. I kind of made that mistake starting out with the game myself tbh.

LEO142

Smash Rookie
Simply switching to a top tier character won't necessarily automatically make you win matches. Honestly sticking with your current mains will be the best option, since perfecting them and amplifying their strengths will undoubtedly enable you to become a more confident and challenging opponent.
Switching to top tiers isn't the answer to instantaneous improvement. if that was the case, we would never see and mid-low tier characters in tourney.

CAUP

Smash Journeyman
You're losing because you are bad not because your character is bad. Don't get me wrong, you can definitely lose in melee because you are playing as a bad character but that only happens at a really high level. Or a much lower level if you are playing as a low tier. But Luigi is a mid tier and you won't hit the limitations of luigi until you are at least one of the best players in your state. That's the first time you'll really even have to contend with that issue. Don't assume the problem is your character when it is almost definitely your skill. Players start off bad, that's just how it works. All this said, Luigi will take more work. If you don't want to work more, switch to whoever you like after him.

DippnDots

Feral Youth
Put the high tier characters you are interested in playing into a hat then draw one, then just stick with it.

Don't listen to people telling you to stick with mid to low tiers, you should only do that if you want to, playing a ****ty character won't make you better than people playing good characters, it just gives you more work to do. So you should only play a **** character if you have an aesthetic reason, ie. you just really like that character.

_Hydra_

Smash Rookie
I played falco for like a whole year until I realized that I was destined to be a marth main. What I did was play falco and fox, and then I went to my first tournament where I realized that I was doing better with my marth that I had only played in friendlies at the time.

gomeaux

Smash Rookie
hi. I need a high tier main. I already play Luigi and Young link, but i need someone to beat Fox and Falco and others. I was thinking of picking up Marth but im terrible at him,I cant play fox and I hate playing him and my Falco is eh. Not really sure who to play as i have no experience with anyone else in top tiers.
I'd continue with Falco, since you already have more experience with him than Fox or Marth. Marth isn't as difficult to learn as Falco, so if he doesn't work out you can fall back to Marth. Or you could just continue with Luigi and Young Link.

Last edited by a moderator:

CAUP

Smash Journeyman
Marth his only easier to learn than falco on a pretty low level of play

Applebutter61

Smash Journeyman
The core characters at the top of in Melee are usually seen as Fox/Falco, Marth, and Sheik. Personally, I'm partial to Marth. However, top tier is not required. There's lots of videos about people getting great tournament results with what are considered "mid-tier" characters, such as the one I am putting in below. As for a main, though, I'm saying this: stick to Luigi. If you already play him, you every reason to keep doing so. Luigi definetly has potential. As a matter of fact, I would say that even if Kirby was your main up until now, that you should keep it up. Tiers give a general idea of character strength, but they don't dictate how good you can become with any given character character.

Last edited:
Top Bottom