• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

NCAA Football (the real life one)

The Executive

Smash Lord
Within the confines of my mortal shell in T-Town.
Anyone else who watches it? Personally I find it much more entertaining than pro ball which IMO has way too much *****ing over money and draft picks.

Also, Bama buried No. 3 Georgia yesterday, blackout and all. That gimmick will be shut in a dark vault somewhere and not seen again for decades. Yay for being No. 2 in the nation. (look out, Sooners)

The Executive

Smash Lord
Bump due to several high-profile games this weekend:

(22) Vanderbilt at (10) Georgia
(12) Ohio State at (20) Michigan State
(16) Kansas at (4) Oklahoma
Michigan at (3) Penn State
(6) U-S-C at Washington St (It's despicable how much the BCS fawns over USC, they get far too much credit)
(13) L-S-U at So Carolina
(11) Missouri at (1) Texas

And of course,
Ole Miss at (2) Alabama (Roll Tide)

Thoughts on any of these?

The Executive

Smash Lord
Ya THINK?

USC has been consistently overranked all season long. I'm surprised Georgia started #1.

Everyone hates on the SEC, but it's unwarranted. We have had anywhere from two to five teams in the Top 10 every week (average of four if you include the #11 spot); we are arguably the toughest conference in the nation, but from about Week 6 onwards those numbers start to drop. Why? Because we beat ourselves down off the polls. SEC teams lose more often in-conference than outside, and it shows. Florida and LSU won the last two BCS Championships. 'Bama and Florida are still on track for it this year, and Georgia/LSU are longshots. Also, note that every SEC team with a one-loss record in the AP Top 25 lost to another SEC team and remain undefeated out of conference. Auburn, bless their hearts, lost to three SEC teams and are no longer even close to a BCS championship, but they're still undefeated out of conference.

Personally, I would love to see Alabama/Penn State for the BCS title. The last time that happened it was historic

XACE-K

Smash Master
True. There are always great in-conference games for the SEC. The PAC-10 though, not as much. The bias to USC needs to stop.

FSLMJM

Smash Journeyman
USC at No. 6 is a complete joke...they lost to unranked Oregon State as No. 1, and only fell to 9th. They should have fell out of the top 12.
Then, No. 3 Georgia loses to 8 Alabama, and falls to 11th, the same amount as USC. UGA should actually be ranked ahead of USC, who hasn't played anyone, including overrated Ohio State. The rankings are a complete joke, as usual.
The rankings should look like this:

1. Texas
2. Alabama
3. Penn State
4. Georgia
5. Oklahoma
6. Florida
7. Oklahoma State
8. Texas Tech
9. Mizzou
10. LSU

The Executive

Smash Lord
OK, so, the Top 10 remains unchanged, save for BYU falling out, Ohio State moving up, and a few teams shuffling around.

Notable games next week:

No. 7 Oklahoma State at No. 1 Texas
No. 3 Penn State at No. 10 Ohio State
No. 9 Georgia at No. 11 LSU
Kentucky at No. 5 Florida
No. 4 Oklahoma at Kansas State
No. 2 Alabama at Tennessee

What they say is true--Ole Miss is more than a competent football team, they just have the misfortune of being in the SEC. If they were anywhere else, they'd definitely be ranked. We barely eked out a 24-20 win over them, but a win is a win. Losing Big Cody didn't help either...that man is the 360-lb. backbone of our D-line (and a solid blocker on the O-line too). Had a bunch of people fall into his right knee while blocking. Prognosis is he'll be in for at least part of the LSU game and will not need surgery, but this should make Tennessee a bit more interesting.

Philip Fulmer and his lot are having their worst year in the past two decades (1 yd rushing on Georgia two weeks ago), but even though they're 3-4 this is not a game to take lightly. This is a huge rivalry and it's on their turf, unlike last year's blowout, so we need to hurry up and learn how to play a full four-quarter game. This and Arkansas State are our two opportunities to realign our D-line strategy before we head into Baton Rouge, and we need to make the most of it.

D

Deleted member

Michigan's having a spectacular year with their first loss to a MAC school in history. Thanks for the recruiting Lloyd Carr, this'll be a long season in Ann Arbor. Who do you guys think will win the ACC? It's looking pretty bad considering that every team in conference has at least 1 loss. I'm picking... Georgia Tech. Has anyone else noticed that The Sweatervest is slowly creeping up in the polls? They are so vastly overrated it borders on insanity. The computers actually have them at #5 while USC (the team they lost to by 32 points) is at #10! Thank God that people are more intelligent than that. The computers also have Utah and Boise State ahead of USC, and the BCS officials wonder why the system is criticized so much! My prediction of the Nat'l Title is Ohio State because they get all lucky and every Top 10 team loses in November and (insert name of undefeated SEC/Big 12 School).

My Top 25
1. Texas Convincing wins, tough schedule
2. Alabama Tough schedule, not so convincing wins and can't finish games.
3. Penn State Love this team, hope they win it all. Big game next Saturday though.
4. Oklahoma St. This team is criminally underrated, Tough schedule, big Mizzou win
5. Oklahoma Only one close loss with a tough schedule coming up
6. USC What's with all the USC hate? One fluke loss and suddenly they suck?
7. Florida Underrated, tough schedule
8. LSU It's nearly impossible to finish the SEC unbeaten so stop them moving down after SEC losses
9. Texas Tech I hate Texas Tech, they are extremely overrated They barely beat Nebraska
10. Mizzou Very hard schedule
11. Georgia They didn't impress me at Alabama
12. Boise St. It's not like they'll lose this year
13. TCU They had a huge win over BYU and the only thing left is the Utah game.
14. Ohio State Go suck one Ohio State, I'm sick of you in the National Title
15. Pitt How can they be ranked behind S Fla after they beat them?
16. Georgia Tech They look pretty good and the schedule isn't overly taxing
17. South Florida Probably won't win the Big East because of the Pitt loss
18. Tulsa High powered offense and probably conference champ
19. Northwestern I like Northwestern and they could probably beat all these MWC losers
(Utah, BYU,TCU)
20. Utah My high school could beat half the MWC.
21. Kansas They play a schedule that's just too hard
22. Florida St. Let's face it, who knows how the ACC will turn up?
23. Minnesota They play a pretty decent schedule
24. BYU So overrated (1984 Nat'l Champs)
25. Ball St. I want to puke when i hear about them in the Top 25. Anyone could beat Northern Illinois for 12 weeks. Their only real challenge will be Central Michigan in the championship

The Executive

Smash Lord
2. Alabama Tough schedule, not so convincing wins and can't finish games.
If football was played for two quarters we would dominate. Seirously though, we need to learn to play four quarters.

3. Penn State
I'm calling it, Bama vs Penn State, BCS title. Goal Line Stand redux, anyone?

6. USC What's with all the USC hate? One fluke loss and suddenly they suck?
The BCS is embarassingly biased towards USC, more so than Ohio State. This has been going on for years.

8. LSU It's nearly impossible to finish the SEC unbeaten so stop them moving down after SEC losses
Bama-LSU should be interesting. By then, I don't think either team will have lost another game, making Bama undefeated (this happened in 2005, but we were only #4) and LSU one-loss.

11. Georgia They didn't impress me at Alabama
What did you expect? We're the Crimson Tide. Anyhow, beyond the thrashing we gave them (and subsequent pity scores) they've been impressive. Top of SEC East easily. Also, the Cocktail party is in two weeks; that'll be one to watch (and yet another SEC team off the Top 10, cannibalizing FTL).

14. Ohio State Go suck one Ohio State, I'm sick of you in the National Title
QFT.

Peeze

Smash Master
Stupid Auburn, always on the side of mediocrity. This year they're just tanking though. Its kinda expected we lost Brandon Cox, and have no experienced starters at QB.

The Executive

Smash Lord
"We"? That's a "we" now? You people need to
a) fire Tommy Tuberville (maybe if you're lucky Tennessee will trade Fulmer)
b) come up with better winning traditions than TP'ing public property
c) bulldoze Jordan-Hare, it makes the adjacent trailer park look bad
d) Fear the finger.

All merciless tiger beating aside, it could be worse...you could be the Volunteers.

The Executive

Smash Lord
If you lose the Iron Bowl, he's in jeopardy. That's all most Auburn fans up here care about, realistically. Who needs the BCS Championship when you can beat Bama? Hell, Auburn ran undefeated years ago and no one even cared. Why the majority of Auburn fans place so much significance on the Iron Bowl is beyond me though. Bama has been struggling over the past few years what with Fulmer-induced probation, good to see we're finally rebounding. Saban's group seems to play more like a Gene Stallings team than a Bear Bryant, with an iron defense and close fought games (Tulane, Mississippi). Only time will tell.

Oh, and I snagged a student ticket to the Arkansas State game for $8, so I'll be there this weekend. I gotta watch the Cocktail Party too.

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
As much as I love college football, I refuse to watch another game until the BCS is abolished. I love the Big East, but honestly we suck this year, and one of our teams is still going to get a BCS bid. Isn't that ********?

The Executive

Smash Lord
I saw the near-interception for the 'Horns, and the ensuing touchdown with :01 seconds left afterwards. Seeing McCoy's jaw hit the turf as the fans stormed the field was priceless, and despite all that Texas only dropped to 4th and they're clinging to title hopes.

Also, ROLL TIDE.

So, Tech is #2, Penn State stays at #3. Texas #4, Florida up to #5.

My take on the top 5:

Bama: Five games between now and championship gold. LSU ordinarily would be a major test, but Florida and Georgia ran all over them and we punked Georgia out. If we beat them, our SEC West berth is safe. With Terrence Cody back in play this should not be a long shot at all. M-State is a given. Auburn will be the death knell for Tommy Tuberville's career; even though it's a rivalry game after seeing the clinic we put on against Tennessee I can't say a 4-5 team is much of a threat. If Auburn loses to Georgia, we will not only send them packing but take their bowl eligibility as well. Sweet, sweet justice. Moving on, SEC Championship is shaping up to be Bama-Florida, and I am totally psyched for this game. The SEC, true to form, has beaten itself out of title contention in November save for two teams, and after this game we'll be down to one. I'm hoping for Bama-Penn State redux, but we may have to settle for Texas Tech. Regardless, it'll be a great national title game.

Tech: No. 9 Oklahoma State, No. 6 Oklahoma, and Baylor are left. It'll be tough, but after their performance last night there's a good chance Texas Tech could remain undefeated. Unlike the SEC, the Big 12 title spots are still up for grabs for many teams, and a loss during any of those games may eliminate Tech from contention. They will have to fight to keep their No. 2 spot, but it's not impossible by any means.

Penn State: A relatively easy schedule left, Michigan State being the only issue, but idling last week cost them the No. 2 spot. They should coast to a Big 12 Championship, which they'll get get a shot at even if they do lose to Michigan State. Whether or not they get a BCS title berth depends on Bama/Tech's performance.

Texas: Arguably the toughest last four weeks of any team in the BCS, the pressure finally proved too much for the vaunted McCoy/Shipley combination. They aren't completely out of the national title picture yet though, and they may get a Big 12 title shot if Tech screws up. You'll have to watch them closely.

Florida: Their last four games aren't Easy Street by far (Vandy, Spurrier, Flo-State, and Citadel), but unless they lose two of those games they have a lock on the SEC East championship berth. Even if they beat Bama in the SEC championship game, they may not get a BCS title shot unless two other higher- ranked teams lose a game between now and then. I wouldn't put anything past Tebow and the Gators, though.

D

Deleted member

Penn State: A relatively easy schedule left, Michigan State being the only issue, but idling last week cost them the No. 2 spot. They should coast to a Big 12 Championship, which they'll get get a shot at even if they do lose to Michigan State. Whether or not they get a BCS title berth depends on Bama/Tech's performance.

Geez, I hope Penn State doesn't win the big 12 championship, because then Ohio State would win the big 10 again.

DtJ Jungle

Check out my character in #GranblueFantasy
BRoomer
...What are yout alking about...Penn State and Ohio State are both in the Big 10...barring that Penn State doesnt do anything ******** they should win the Big 10...Alabama will most likely lose a game in the SEC, its too tough of a conference.

Boomer Sooner

The Executive

Smash Lord
"[the SEC] is too tough of a conference"

Please. I know the SEC is tough, but based on the season's statistics these three games are not nearly as imposing as they were in past years. LSU lost to Georgia and Florida by a wide margin, and we would have beaten Georgia by wider still if we weren't still playing two-quarter games. (a habit we seem to have kicked in recent weeks) They lost most of the seniors that formed the backbone of last year's championship team. All players who once played under Saban are gone. The only factor in their favor is a home-field advantage, but they're facing the same coach that led them to their first BCS championship. I'm sure Saban has standard LSU offense under control, and he's probably wised up to Les Miles' playstyle as well. M-State, again, is a given. Their only shining moment was the narrow, narrow loss to Auburn in the only 3-2 game anyone I know has ever seen. Auburn is looking like Tennessee, and look what we did to them. "Oh, it's a major rivalry though!" Maybe for Auburn. Alabama's primary rivalry is with Tennessee, and that wasn't even an exciting game, just another nail in Phil Fulmer's coffin. The only dangerous SEC matchup will be against a one-loss Tebow/Harvin and Co. To say otherwise is just hating on the #1 team, which I can't really fault you for, just admit it for what it is.

D

Deleted member

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

DtJ Jungle

BRoomer
I never said Alabama wasnt deserving of their spot, they've more than proved to be...it just seems that every year it seems impossible to go undefeated in the SEC because there are very few bad teams in that conference. Tennessee And Miss. State are the worst teams in the conference this year but they arent that bad. The last team to do it was the 2005 Auburn team and that team was stacked as hell.

D

Deleted member

DtJ Jungle

BRoomer
oops i should know that....04 was the year my precious Sooners got *****.

D

Deleted member

I hope Utah gets dismantled by TCU. Utah beat Michgan by 2 points, that is the ultimate shame in 2008. On an unrelated note Notre Dame will make a BCS bowl if they have 6 wins.

DtJ Jungle

BRoomer
TCU is always a strong team they should come out of there with a win...on an unrelated note...**** the Irish

D

Deleted member

Michigan lost again... sigh. I bumped this because of the big Texas Tech-Oklahoma game. Anyone have predictions?

Okla-38
Tex Tech- 35

XACE-K

Smash Master
All I'm saying about that game is that I want Oklahoma to win. I like Texas and Okla more than Tech and I would like to see a 3 way tie for the Big 12 South. It would be interesting to see the result of that.

The Executive

Smash Lord
Hahaha, the Sooners trashed Tech. This is great, now OU/Tech/Texas all have legitimate claims to the same conference title, it'll be interesting to see that play out. I'm disappointed Florida is still only #4, though. Bama ends Auburn Saturday and continues our path of destruction (Clemson and Tennessee have already fired their head coashes, is Tuberville next?), Florida should win handily, which sets up a NICE SEC championship game...I wish Texas would lose again.

D

Deleted member

If Fla. beats Alabama that will be AWFUL we'll have 62 one loss teams and Utah saying they have a claim to the title.

Top Bottom