• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Navi:"Watch Out"! Link Match Up Thread(Link vs Sonic)Update

monkeyx4

Smash Ace
Switch FC
3936 9382 6790
Since all our info has been deleted we have to make another one....

Discuss

NaijaboyIrin

Smash Apprentice
OK, Link vs. Ganon...
2.5 Boomerang means no more free point-blank combostarters. Darn.
Use a lot of Ftilt and jab. He can't really get past your sword that way.
Grabs are easy to get on him.
Spin and nair **** his recovery.
Arrows **** his recovery.
You win the neutral game as long as he doesn't get a grab, so SPACE, SPACE DARN YOUUUUU....
So, monkey, I think we should set up the OP like Okami's Ivysaur thread

BRLNK88

Smash Ace
So... basically 60:40 Link atm?

How about Link/Marth? In Melee it seems to be 65:35 Marth at best (at higher levels at least).
How will Link's new speed and frame buffs help him seeing as Marth has been ported 1:1 from Melee?
Preliminarily, I'd say its still in Marf's favor, but only slightly.

monkeyx4

Smash Ace
Switch FC
3936 9382 6790
OK, Link vs. Ganon...
2.5 Boomerang means no more free point-blank combostarters. Darn.
Use a lot of Ftilt and jab. He can't really get past your sword that way.
Grabs are easy to get on him.
Spin and nair **** his recovery.
Arrows **** his recovery.
You win the neutral game as long as he doesn't get a grab, so SPACE, SPACE DARN YOUUUUU....
So, monkey, I think we should set up the OP like Okami's Ivysaur thread
i wanted to do that but dont know how :c

monkeyx4

Smash Ace
Switch FC
3936 9382 6790
I would love to use that layout like the bowsers but i dont know how to have the char pics right next to there name like that. it looks tight

monkeyx4

Smash Ace
Switch FC
3936 9382 6790
I find this match madddd easy. What I do to sonic mains is just drop bombs on the stage so sonic can't do his down b tricks and it kills his momentum.

Throw everything at him that means zair, arrows, rang, bombs,Even rupees so when I say everything throw everything link got in his bag.

I would say 70 -30 mu sonic got to fight his way to link and link can abuse his recovery

:phone:

Beorn4200

Smash Apprentice
I find this match madddd easy. What I do to sonic mains is just drop bombs on the stage so sonic can't do his down b tricks and it kills his momentum.

Throw everything at him that means zair, arrows, rang, bombs,Even rupees so when I say everything throw everything link got in his bag.

I would say 70 -30 mu sonic got to fight his way to link and link can abuse his recovery

No way it's 70:30. Even if sonic loses this match. It couldn't possibly be that one sided.

BRLNK88

Smash Ace
I've played Sethlon's Sonic with Link, I got wrecked.
I think Link potentially wins it, but no way its that one-sided. Sonic has an incredible pressure game and is just plain awkward to fight.

Oro?!

Smash Hero
Sonic can literally get across the entire stage and hit you during the bomb pull or boomerang animations. Nair oos is literally your best friend or even just poking with Nair.

Problem2

Smash Champion
NNID
Problem0
Your hope is to just be a wall of hitboxes that Sonic cannot touch. This will include lots of nair, and possibly zair, and f-tilt in this match up. You can also occasionally space slow full hop d-airs as an anti-air if you can read when he jumps at you. If Sonic is busy or scared, you can pull out a bomb to throw when necessary. If he constantly approaches from the ground, try and grab him to scare him from attempting the same approaches too often.

Sonic can go reeeaaallly far off stage in a short period of time and still come back, so you'll be at a disadvantage when recovering because Link's recovery, while far in distance, is very slow. You'll probably be throwing those projectiles pretty early as you recover to try and stop Sonic from meeting you out in the open.

Now the rest here is just speculation. Some things I meant to try is like full hop z-airing when Sonic homing attacks your shield as he tends to pull back to try and avoid being punished. If he's closer than that, I would recommend f-air instead.

Some thoughts about stages:
I think your best bet would be to pick a stage like Battlefield or Yoshi's Story or maybe Wario Ware so that you can take advantage of layers of platforms. Try and de-emphasize horizontal spacing and emphasize vertical spacing in your battle. Not quite sure what stage to avoid against Sonic. Sonics do tend to like big and transforming stages which gives him room to manuever. Link usually doesn't mind big, but you may want to try and constrict his movement a bit in this match-up.

Top Bottom