• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

N64 Controllers discussion

MCG

Smash Apprentice
When it is uncalibrated, both the red and the black arrow (raw and direct input) move by the same amount, just like you obtained so that's not the problem.

I really don't have any other suggestions. It is rather strange that the Y direction changes sign between 40 and 128. If the raw value of the Y direction from DXTweak is linear when you move in that direction (e.g. going from 32 to 220) and not jumping around the place, it would seem that the input is correctly read but somehow the controller test rom reads something else.

I've never had that happened to me but if you figure out what's wrong, I'd be interested to know what happened.

Capos

Smash Apprentice
When it is uncalibrated, both the red and the black arrow (raw and direct input) move by the same amount, just like you obtained so that's not the problem.

I really don't have any other suggestions. It is rather strange that the Y direction changes sign between 40 and 128. If the raw value of the Y direction from DXTweak is linear when you move in that direction (e.g. going from 32 to 220) and not jumping around the place, it would seem that the input is correctly read but somehow the controller test rom reads something else.

I've never had that happened to me but if you figure out what's wrong, I'd be interested to know what happened.
I do have one theory...when you're setting up the controls in the n64.zip rom, how exactly do you do the six "AD Stick Analog" ones?

MCG

Smash Apprentice
I do have one theory...when you're setting up the controls in the n64.zip rom, how exactly do you do the six "AD Stick Analog" ones?
In Analog Controls, I use the default settings like the first uploaded file.

In Input (this system), I have:
AD Stick X Analog : Joy 1 X Axis or Mouse X
AD Stick X Analog Dec : LEFT
AD Stick X Analog Inc : RIGHT
AD Stick Y Analog : Joy 1 Y Axis or Mouse Y
AD Stick Y Analog Dec : UP
AD Stick Y Analog Inc : DOWN

Attachments

Last edited:

Capos

Smash Apprentice
In Analog Controls, I use the default settings like the first uploaded file.

In Input (this system), I have:
AD Stick X Analog : Joy 1 X Axis or Mouse X
AD Stick X Analog Dec : LEFT
AD Stick X Analog Inc : RIGHT
AD Stick Y Analog : Joy 1 Y Axis or Mouse Y
AD Stick Y Analog Dec : UP
AD Stick Y Analog Inc : DOWN
Thank you, this was it!

I had
Joy 1 X axis
Joy 1 Left
Joy 1 Right
Joy 1 Y Axis
Joy 1 Down
Joy 1 Up

I thought I had the 1st and 4th wrong, but those were the only 2 that were right. That also explains why the signs ended wrong on the y axis.

wprpalmeida

Smash Rookie
finally my samples have arrived (and another 2 additional RepairBoxes, which I will think about what to do with one of them after I complete my mod.

this weekend is gonna be a good one :)

Morin0

Smash Lord
Does this look like a decent benchmark for a hori controller? It looks like a cleaner Lodgenet result http://i.imgur.com/wL9mcma.png

All I have is the OG result to compare to, and I feel like the Hori has more range/is more sensitive than an OG controller, so it doesn't need to be THAT close to the dots. Am I wrong?

Last edited:

tehz

Smash Apprentice
I think Hori's normally report higher "stick values" than OG sticks. Horis go from like -120 to +120, while OG controllers are -85 to +85.

So, I guess that benchmark looks okay? I'm kinda surprised the values don't go to -127/+128 though.

Zantetsu

Smash Master
I made a tutorial a little while ago and forgot to post it here.

Tutorial: Accurate N64 Joystick Configuration for Emulation

Last edited:

Cheap Shot

Smash Cadet
So I haven't read through this whole thread or anything but are there any converters out there that allow USB controllers to be played on the N64?

ElViejoZunY

Smash Apprentice
A few days ago I buy some cheaps controllers from ebay, when I try to calibrate them (to use them with the mayflash adapter with the Project64) the start buttom keeps flashing all the time and it´s impossible to use them, any guide/tutorial/video to fix it? Everythign in google is about how to fix the stick

Last edited:

Grizzmeister

Smash Lord
NNID
Grizzster
These are the N64 controllers that me and my friend Steven use when we play Smash 64 on the actual N64 hardware.

The sticks are a little loose but it's not a huge problem.

Last edited:

freekazoid

Smash Cadet

VS

What is better, answers I'm looking for are answers that parrallel one versus the other in terms of your personal experience with them. But mainly I want to know which is better in terms of which has the best response and least lag over Netplay.
Raphnet N64 Controller Adapter or Mayflash Adapter.
Notes: I've used a Mayflash before but I've never used a Raphnet Adapter. So I'm asking to find out if Raphnet is better than Mayflash. PS If you have any experience with another adapter that in your opinion is better than them both or at least is an additional option to consider please list those too.
I've used the Retrolink controller I should add.

Last edited:

ReeseB

Smash Rookie
The Lodgenet controller conversion works pretty well for SSB. I do find the Lodgenet's OEM joystick box to be a little too loose for my liking, though. The joystick cap also fits kind of lose on top of the shaft, so it's not incredibly tight. After a recommendation, I ended up replacing the joystick box with something that had a larger shaft, which made the stick's top fit much better. What's nice about the Lodgenet controller is that the restrictor gate is quite wide, unlike all the replacement sticks out there. I can't stand how small there gates are. It makes doing tilts very hard, and I end up stick-jumping by accident.

Also, yes, the Lodgenet and Hori pad do appear to share the same joystick box (they both use HORI chipsets). See Sani's post here.
Hi,
This isn't a reply so much as a request for information on the possibility of converting a Lodgenet game controller for use with a regular system. The actual goal would be to recreate the Lodgenet experience for my son, but since the information was likely streamed from a server, and the Sonifi company that took over is just doing smart TVs and game casting, I thought we might use a Lodgenet controller with our system/console, and attempt to plug that in at the hotel lol.
Any suggestions would be greatly accepted. Thanks!

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
Hi,
This isn't a reply so much as a request for information on the possibility of converting a Lodgenet game controller for use with a regular system. The actual goal would be to recreate the Lodgenet experience for my son, but since the information was likely streamed from a server, and the Sonifi company that took over is just doing smart TVs and game casting, I thought we might use a Lodgenet controller with our system/console, and attempt to plug that in at the hotel lol.
Not sure if you are still active here, use the ssb64 community discord or facebook to find this out.

Roboplodicus

Smash Cadet
Hi,
Hey there is actually a guide for making a working Lodgenet 64 controller here

http://s9.zetaboards.com/Nintendo_64_Forever/topic/7389142/1/

also I have a working one I could sell if you didn't want to mess around with soldering and dremmeling that looks totally identical to the controller you would find in a hotel except it has a standard n64 controller plug. I sent you a message about that just message me back if you are interested. Also if you do decide to perform the mod yourself and you run into any trouble the guys at n64 were really helpful to me while I was building the controller so ask them questions if you run into any problems!

Top Bottom