• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

My Wii's mysterious death

HailCrest

Smash Journeyman
Link to original post: [drupal=2764]My Wii's mysterious death[/drupal]

Well, I just went through this small ordeal with my Wii. Just two weeks ago I tried to turn on my Wii. I guess the first thing that gave me the impression that something was wrong was my Wii's power switch light was red because I turn on WiiConnect24 all the time.

So I took my Classic Controller and slumped down on my couch and pressed the power button on the WiiMote.

Nothing.

I went over to the console and pressed and held the button for at least 5 seconds.

Nothing.

At this point, I knew I was screwed. I went on the internet and went onto Nintendo Support, and looked for anything involving the Wii not turning on. It gave me the solution: Unplug the AC adapter, and plug it back.

I tried unplugging the adapter, and plugging it back.

I pressed the button on my Wii Console.

Guess what? Nothing.

After googling some more, I found out that AC Adapters sometimes spoil when a there's a power surge (there was a power surge like probably two and a half weeks ago, I hadn't played since then) but if you take out your Adapter and wait anywhere from 30 minutes to 4 hours, the fusebox resets or something and it works again. tl:dr; Adapters may go jesus if you leave it overnight.

So I did, and plugged it back in, and tried to turn it on again.

OH YAY IT TURNED ON AND RAINBOW UNICORNS FLEW OU- no, nothing.

I guess it serves me right to buy a Wii with a modchip, because the Adapter wasn't an official Wii adapter.

So I tried the Wii adapter from my previous Wii (one without a modchip) and I turned the power button on.

Yay! The light turned green!

I enthusiastically took my classic controller and turned on the TV.

Whoops, nothing. Just a bunch of flickers on my TV, even though the console claims to be turned on.

I realized that somehow the power surge got to the Wii and now the Wii is bricked, but hopefully not beyond repair. I flipped it the bird, then went to my father to ask him to take it to a shop for repair (not to an official Nintendo repair shop, duh).

When he came back from the repair shop, he said that it'll have to wait a week, and they can't salvage whatever memory it may have.

I was drained of all hope at that moment, and started going on the net to find save files with completely unlocked characters, hopefully that I can copy onto my new, repaired but empty Wii. No way in hell was I completing the SSE again just to unlock all characters, and also no way was I going to play 200+ brawls just to unlock Wolf or Ganondorf.

I then waited one week before the Wii came back. But there was no excitement or anticipation this time; there was nothing to look forward to.

I plugged it back in. No flickers this time. The screen asking me to press A to continue showed, which was kind of expected.

I then went to my dad's room, and thwacked him on the back of the head and called him an idiot. Either he didn't listen to the repair guy, or he assumed by himself. Either way, he was wrong and everything I had; all save files, down to my Wii's friend number and Brawl friend code, was still there.

I deleted the completed save file for Brawl from my SD card, and went on to continue practicing dtilt locks.

But of course, the day after I badgered my dad to go buy surge protectors. There was no way I am going to go through this whole thing again.

finalark

SNORLAX
Wait, what? So you wanted all of yoru stuff to be deleted? What? Pumkin? WHAT!?

Either way, I guess the moral of the story is "modchips kill (Wiis)."

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
Sorry to say this, but this was an honest cool story, bro.

It's good to read a blog that has a happy ending, is not a question, continues *****ing about love/religion and has a bit of humor in it.

I liked it.

Romulox2010

Smash Rookie
That same thing happened to my wii when the power went out @ midnight. Except since i dont have a modchip in my wii it worked fine after a whole day of downtime.

Top Bottom