• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

My Top 20 Favorite Musical Albums (as of 2014)

pants the terrible

Smash Cadet
NNID
horsenwelles
3DS FC
5198-2438-0134
20. Nightmare (Avenged Sevenfold): To start this list, lets have an old friend return with my favorite album of theirs: nightmare! it has elements of a concept album, but never really states it is so. Its more of a tribute to their passed on drummer, Jimmy "The Rev" Sullivan, who I would consider one of my more favorite drummers in history, who was replaced in recording for this album by none other than one of his favorite drummers (and mine), Mike Portnoy, who about steals the album. The drumming is so precise and amazing that sometimes the bass work and vocals fall under it and the guitars, which are both masterfully written and performed. The music as a whole has a flavor for the macabre, the depths of eternity, the uncertainty of death, and the desire to be in a better existence. From the intro to the incredible closer, I love this thing, even if it doesn't have a full focus on what the album wants to be as a whole. I love it from beginning to end.

19. In Your Honor (Foo Fighters): I'm not sure if I should say "only cd 1" or "the full release", so i'll just leave it as the entire thing, since you are bound to hear the whole album. The reason I say this is because the first cd is so masterfully designed and told in every aspect of its writing, song choice, direction, and overall sound that the second cd, while gorgeous, feels like B-sides that aren't really a part of the album. They could have released them separately and made it easier for me, but they did what they did, and either way, I love it. Its a cohesive album with hard edge rocking riffs, post-grunge power, wonderfully meaningful vocals and lyrics, and some wonderful guitar work from Dave Grohl and company (including Josh Homme on some tracks). Its a really great listen, especially if you split the listen up between the cd's. Cd 1 is definitely the showpiece though.

18. Mean Everything to Nothing (Manchester Orchestra): This is one of those albums that sincerely wants to be a concept album of some kind, but isn't sure where to tell the story from or why. It has songs that are powerful and poignant as anything else on this list, but it then has some moments where it loses focus on its meaningful tale of a self deprecating character who has to deal with his problems and adoptive empathetic issues. Its structure is there and wonderful, but its focus gets lost on occasion. Definitely a wonderful release no matter the slight loss of focus. Its more than worth the effort to listen to every time you do.

17. Aenima (Tool): This used to be my all-time favorite tool album, but it hasn't aged as precisely well as I had pictured. Its an amazing album that no fan of rock should miss, but I will admit a few of the center songs can drag sometimes. The majority will have you humming along and listening deeply into the high concept lyrics and imagery detailed in this fairly lengthy release, and I definitely recommend it, though an edited down version wouldn't be too bad to try either, haha.

16. California (Mr. Bungle): Mr. Bungle's last album as far as i'm aware, and my lord it is a patchwork of love. From the leading man Mike Patton who presents vocals unlike anyone else in this world, to a band that has some of the most skilled performers of their craft. From crazy and defined guitar work to gorgeous keyboards and masterful percussion work, there's something in here that any lover of music will enjoy. Its a wonderful album from start to finish, even without an overall story of concept.

15. Core (Stone Temple Pilots): I love stone temple. This is their first album. Its everything I want to hear when I hear stone temple. Its hard. Its blunt. Its fun. Its weird. Its hard as nails in a bowl of solid cement. Its got a bit of everything stone temple. I don't know what else to say besides if you like stone temple, give it a listen all the way through if you haven't already, though if you have never given stone temple pilots a listen before, i'd recommend their self titled album or "shangri la dee da" to begin with them.

14. The Mollusk (Ween): This is a fairly obscure album from a band that needs more attention. This album is one for just about anyone. It takes place throughout several different sounds that all correspond to the nautical, the unlucky, the unprepared, and the moving on. The sounds and tones from each song is unique in its telling. Its sometimes happy to hear, sometimes sad. No matter what you get out of it, it will give you an emotional reaction to the songs presented. Its a highly, highly re-playable album that will catch you by surprise.

13. Songs for the Deaf (Queens of the Stone Age): This is one of those albums that has stuck on this list ever since I first heard it. Its a concept album that takes you through the depths of desert radio stations that all coincidentally play songs from the same band. The tracks reach depths of beauty, harshness, dismal, and even insane qualities that tell the tales of the concepts and people within. They wrote this album for a love and passion for the desert, the grunge, the things they don't want to be, the things that may be, and the things that are. Its worth a listen for just about anyone, though it will turn some of you off when it reaches its harsher tracks. For me, its a go-to driving album any day.

12. 10,000 days (Tool): Minus the last song being obnoxiously quiet and fairly pointless (unless you look into what you can do with it in editing) the rest of the songs are pieces of a patchwork of passion. These guys know how to perform and write truly beautiful and thought-provoking music. However you take it, if its offensive, if its conceptually enlightening, or if its just not your thing, its still something you most likely have a hard time playing or following. Its not an easy album to get into fully, but I have, and I do love it.

11. In the Aeroplane Over the Sea (Neutral Milk Hotel): Have you heard an album so compelling from start to finish but you didn't know why you were compelled? this is that one for me. I have learned about every song on this album, performed them several, several times, and I still to this day do not get why the songs are so compelling. Its just abstract enough with enough clarity and motif-telling that it keeps the listener intrigued. There's something mystical about the simplicity and structure of this folk-post-prog-experimental rock that I can't quite wrap my mind around, but its there. It tells a story of some kind about anne frank, sexual exploration, parental feuds, dystopia, love, hauntings, and I still have no idea why. Its just so magically told in such a perfectly strange yet completely understood way that I love it from start to finish every time. Even when a few songs have a dragging point here or there.

10. ...Like Clockwork (Queens of the Stone Age): This is by far the newest album on this list. Just being released in 2013, i've listened to it probably 100 times already. Its 10 amazing songs that don't feel their length. They each have a flavor of their own. They each pull you to a different state of mind. They each have just as much power and grace as the band ever had, if not moreso with songs like "the vampyre of time and memory", "kalopsia", "my god is the sun", and well... All the rest for that matter! though it isn't a cohesive concept album, it feels like an album of really finely tuned ideas and concepts turned into sounds that accurately reflect the tones. Its just a wonderful album with not much more good I can say about it!

9. Images and Words (Dream Theater): This album is what I like to call "an album of circumstances". It has so many songs I adore, and a few forgettable songs in the center. The reason I say circumstance is that some songs on here are SO good that they outshine those forgettable songs almost entirely, seeing how little of the album the forgettable songs take up. Metropolis pt 1 and learning to live are 2 of my all time favorite songs, and they hold up today as well as when I first heard them. For 80% of the album being unbelievable, and those 20% not dragging down the album much, I would have to say I love it as an experience. It leaves me begging to reach those moments where the magic really happens. And when it happens, its unforgettable.

8. Dark Side of The Moon (Pink Floyd): This used to be my favorite pink floyd album, and it still remains one of them. Its a truly beautiful work that spans many of the things that define humanity in its aspirations, wants, and needs. It opens with heartbeats, begins with breathing, proceeds to locomotion, time, greed, understanding others, mental states, and finally the disconnect from society. Its all very zen in its delivery and wonderful to listen to. It definitely isn't all focused at times, but the management of the majority is still wonderful. It plays out just as well as it did upon release. Give it a listen sometime.

7. Hemispheres (Rush): This is the first of my 2 favorite rush albums. Its the latter of the 2 in structure (beginning with cygnus part 2) and follows through with 4 of the most well-defined songs by the band. It screams rush in every way and loves being what it is. Its just a perfect ending to its predecessor album. I completely recommend it along with...

6. A Farewell to Kings (Rush): This one! its my favorite rush album! what more is there to say? rush has such a grasp on musical craft, album writing, performance, and overall sound, how could you go wrong with this 6 song masterpiece? its a bit short, but with a wonderful opening, unbelievable center, and an ending that leaves you begging for more! good thing for the hemispheres album adding to it, huh? anyway, its just perfect rush. You probably know its good if you know who rush is.

5. Mr. Bungle (Mr. Bungle): This one came to my attention a little late in my musical adventuring, and I feel a little bad it did. I've known about mr. Bungle for quite some time and i've been apprehensive to give this a listen until just recently. From bottle-smash one, I was compelled and sucked into this life and death of a depraved sex-addicted, violent clown. The telling of his feelings, wants, self appraisal, downfall, and lusts are portrayed through masterful vocals and musicianship by Mike Patton and company. The kaliopy piano and guitars driving you into almost a state of madness with the character, the insane guitar riffs alongside equally insane and sometimes silly lyrics (and by silly I mean horribly disgusting and self aware comedic silly) just make me get goosebumps. The whole concept of the album is so intriguing to me, and it could not have been done better. Song for song it feels meticulously crafted and I would not change anything in this horrifically magnificent album. If not for being a bit too much to handle at times, I would put this higher on the list. Its that good.

4. Demon Days (Gorillaz): Demon Days is a masterpiece of both recording audio, performance, and writing. Everything it does it does with pride and delivers its genre splitting music as gracefully and as collectively as it can. It has solid structure, wonderful performance from every collaborator in the album, and I love it. Even though it has its sisteren albums to compete with, this one is the most cohesive in my opinion and has the most conveyed tones of any other gorillaz work. A truly master work.

3. Animals (Pink Floyd): Yeah, this one jumped way up here over the years. I've grown to truly appreciate this album more and more upon each listen. Its poignant message, its brisk yet compellingly lengthy conceptual journey through the possible outcome of human behavior and suggestion for a brighter future is just beautiful as it is powerful. Its not often I can say 5 songs can have a powerful message alone, but these collectively do, and collectively tell of something greater than their running time. Give it a listen if you can.

2. Lullabies to Paralyze (Queens of the Stone Age): This album is my favorite concept album through and through. It sets itself up as a dream and all the adventures a wandering, distraught, and possibly distressed or confused mind takes at night. It takes you through dark, foreboding forests, lost love, the sins of the seemingly innocent, the addiction to any number of things, the nightly campfires in a lonely desert, and the slow return to the waking world. Its really a clever and thought provoking journey of song-writing, composition, and tone. Not much more I can say besides a masterful piece of art by musicians who truly care about imagery and tone.

1. Pretty. Odd. (Panic at the Disco): You ever have one of those albums that absolutely refuses to leave you? for years, i've been looking for something to rightfully top this album for me. Its just never moving for me. This is the happiest, most heart-felt, lovely, fascinatingly infectious album i've ever listened to. Its so smile-inducing, witty, and thoroughly all encompassingly enjoyable that I cannot rightly give it justice. I would recommend it to anyone, for any occasion or reason. Its purely gorgeous. Odd or not, its certainly my favorite audio experience on a disc.

If you enjoy any of these, have any criticism for my decisions, or even have your own list, please feel free to post it here!!!

Osco316

Mic_128
BRoomer
A crummy world of plot holes and spelling errors
Nice reviews! I can't say I've listened to all of those albums but I do enjoy a few of them.

I first listened to In the Aeroplane Over the Sea a few years ago. I didn't even know of Neutral Milk Hotel until they were mentioned on Parks and Rec (and at first I thought it was a made up band!). That album, though, is about as close to a "perfect" album as I've ever heard. I absolutely love it start-to-finish. Dark Side of the Moon is another one of those "basically perfect" albums for me. I got to see them (NMH) play a concert last fall and it was great. Jeff Mangum said he was sick or something, but I didn't notice too much of a decline in his singing voice.

Osco316

Mic_128
BRoomer
A crummy world of plot holes and spelling errors
Weezer - Weezer (aka the Blue Album) and also Pinkerton
Two amazing albums, not a bad song between them. The Blue Album has a bit of a nostalgia factor for me, since my older brother had this CD and used to play it a lot in the car.
Favorite songs from Blue: "The World Has Turned and Left Me Here" and "Only in Dreams"
Favorites from Pinkerton: "No Other One" "Across the Sea" "Butterfly"
But really I love all the songs.
Had Weezer broken up after these two records, I think they'd be remembered as one of the best bands of the 90's. Instead, they went on to make progressively worse and worse music and their reputation took a hit. On that note, though, their newest (Everything Will Be Alright in the End) is a very good album. Not as good as Blue or Pinkerton, but still solid.

Modest Mouse - The Lonesome Crowded West
Modest Mouse is one of my favorite bands (I can't wait for their new album coming out in March!) and TLCW is (probably) my favorite album by them. I didn't get into them until they blew up with "Float On", but I came to like this album the best. I find Isaac Brock's lyrics to be really clever and, depending on my mood, I can really relate to his cynical worldview, which shines here.
Favorites: "Trailer Trash" "Bankrupt on Selling"

Kanye West - My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy
I was so excited when this came out. Kanye was (and still is) my favorite rapper and had taken a PR hit with the Taylor Swift incident. The last album he had released was 808s & Heartbreak which I hated at the time (though in recent years I've grown to enjoy it a lot). I was a little anxious about how this would turn out, about whether or not Kanye still had it. Turns out, this album is just a masterpiece. It toes the line as almost being too much (production, guest artists, etc.), but I think it works. From start to finish it's perfect to me. "Runaway" is maybe my favorite song of all time. The last few minutes with the vocoder get me every time. I feel like this album encapsulates the public image of West: arrogant, flawed, but supremely talented.
Favorites: "Runaway" "Dark Fantasy"
I was tempted to put Yeezus here, but I think MBDTF had more of an impact for me personally.
I can't wait for his next album. "Only One" is a beautiful song.

Talking Heads - More Songs About Buildings and Food
Talking Heads is another of my favorite bands (actually you could count all of these artists among my favorites). Remain in Light is their most acclaimed work and while it's also great, this one is my favorite. They're a band that is a bit odd, but very accessible as well. I just really love all the songs on this album, I can't really articulate why. I love the frantic pace on many of the songs, I love Tina Weymouth's bass lines and I love David Byrne's vocals. He's great at transitioning between manic energy and a more relaxed style of singing. The subjects/lyrics of some of the songs are really amusing ("Found a Job", for instance, is the story of a couple who makes their own show after being sick of what's on TV), but it never gets to the point of being intentionally cheesy or anything like that.
Favorites: "Found a Job" "Stay Hungry"

pants the terrible

Smash Cadet
NNID
horsenwelles
3DS FC
5198-2438-0134
modest mouse and the talking heads have been growing on me recently because of my friends lol. they are very unique in their sound.

#HBC | Dark Horse

Mach-Hommy x Murakami
I can dig this

Might elaborate on this later, when I have the time

Last edited:

DerpyCookies

Smash Rookie
20) 1984 - Van Halen
19) Are You Experienced - Jimi Hendrix
18) Dookie - Green Day
17) The Blue Album - Weezer
16) Paranoid - Black Sabbath
15) Who's Next - The Who
14) Lifes Rich Pageant - REM
13) White Blood Cells - The White Stripes
12) Blood Sugar Sex Magik - RHCP
11) Demon Days - Gorillaz
10) Ride the Lightning - Metallica
9) Appetite for Destruction - Guns N Roses
8) The Colour and the Shape - Foo Fighters
7) Dark Side of the Moon - Pink Floyd
6) Guero - Beck
5) Led Zeppelin IV - Led Zeppelin
4) Is This It - The Strokes
3) Siamese Dream - The Smashing Pumpkins
2) The Bends - Radiohead
1) Nevermind - Nirvana

I'm an alt rock nerd if you can't tell.

pants the terrible

Smash Cadet
NNID
horsenwelles
3DS FC
5198-2438-0134
i listened to the bends, is this it, colour and shape, demon days and dookie all about 20 times each. great picks =)

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
it's fun to make lists like these for me, but it's futile because i can never decide on an order or what is my very favorite, stuff like that.

there are some albums that i just KNOW are never going to leave me or stop meaning so much to me.

1. HORSE the Band- the Mechanical Hand

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUBTIyn0uR4

High energy experimental hardcore with a huge emphasis on synthesizers and chiptunes. The songs are relentless and cathartic, brutal and whimsical, dark and depressed while also clownlike and silly. HORSE the band are sad jesters, and this album definitely changed how I look at art. Life is never just one thing. It's never just sadness, or just joy. It's pain and ecstasy all together at once. My favorite art is the kind that embraces this duality of life. The music and lyrics are constantly in flux between joking irreverence and incredibly dark and nihilistic philosophizing.

2. Bjork - Medulla

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxqMyyuAhyo

I don't usually see this album talked about much when the topic of Bjork comes up. To me it is far and away the best thing she's ever created and probably will ever create. It is almost entirely a capella, but modulated with studio effects and electronics so that the end result is anything but traditional a capella. Bjork's voice has never been so powerful and raw as in Medulla, and the huge slew of collaborative vocals from legends such as Mike Patton and Rahzel.

3. Radiohead - Hail to the Thief

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0JgrOyEA3Q

Another album I tend not to see at the top of people's lists for best Radiohead albums...but it has a little bit of everything that makes the band what it is. I also enjoy that it is not so grim and mopey as Kid A and Amnesiac, but still has that very experimental spirit. I've always liked progressive rock that doesn't conform to the Yes-style compositions of 10-20 minute songs and endless self indulgent solos. Most of the songs on HTTT are in the 3-5 minute range but are all so rich with different ideas and textures that it is just as rewarding as listening to some 17 minute Tool song imo.

4. Rilo Kiley - The Execution of All Things
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7N-0I8Y1rk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7N-0I8Y1rk

Jenny Lewis is one of the greatest lyricists and songwriters I've ever known. Rilo Kiley is a band that I kind of grew out of adolescence with, and I've always felt a relatability in Jenny's lyrics and music that defies logic. One of those bands that have always helped me through tough times. Rilo Kiley's first three albums are all perfection to me. The nashville-country sound filtered through indie rock and Jenny's always self-aware and bemused lyrics, combined with a really solid and creative backing band, they were truly one of the greatest indie bands of the 2000s, and are criminally underrated and undervalued today.

5. Irepress - Sol Eye Sea I
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xd4r5gtgNbM

Not much I can say to do justice to Irepress' colorful and bouncy style of instrumental post-rock/metal. I find a lot of post-rock tends to drag especially when they fall into the rut of slow buildup-explosive climax Explosions-in-the-Sky style. It gets boring. Irepress' lively drums, highly melodic and emotive guitarwork and constantly shifting song structures keeps it from falling into any of post-rock's most egregious cliches.

Last edited:
Top Bottom