• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

My Tips & Tricks for Samus

Conda

aka COBBS - Content Creator (Toronto region)
Hey all, recorded a Tips & Tricks help video for the Samus community. Not a lot of content like this for her so I decided to make these tricks more well-known so players can advance their Samus play and show us what she's made of!

If you like this video, let me know in the comments. If you found the video enjoyable, support the channel by sharing the video with others! The support means a lot and fuels me to continue making videos for you guys & gals. :)

I think she's a very capable character, she's just very tricky to play optimally against fast characters. These tips & tricks will hopefully help you guys & gals.

Last edited:

BlackCephie

Smash Journeyman
Good stuff in this videos. I think her bombs are an invaluable tool, and you really highlighted many of the way I like to use them myself. Great video.

the.tok

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2767-0503-3415
Great stuff, we need more videos like this. It made me experiment more on using bombs mobility. I am not fully convinced yet on how to use them, but it for sure made me think a lot about it :)

Samus is for sure a very deep character to learn. There are always new things to explore, and you really help there :awesome:

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
The tips with the bombs, most notably the increased air mobility, seem very useful. Why don't you see these tips getting used?
When an enemy with Samus exp remembers that bombs

1. Are on a timer
2. Do low damge
3. Do not kill
4. Leave Samus totally unable to Attack/defend for a long time

They will run through the bomb without fear and rip you apart. I've seen for 6 years in brawl and it will happen again here because bombs still suck.

I'm mean, honestly, when I see a fellow Samus drop a bomb, I am free to charge shot, dair, nair, Bair or up+b. I have a buffet of punishes I can dish out. Now think if that Samus is fighting a fox/sonic/diddy/sheik? Lol one bomb drop could equal your death or a massive percent gain. That's not good.

Now on the low end of the skill spectrum, yes, bombs are more viable for defense and mobility because the foe is afraid to test the waters or simply isn't smart enough to see how bad of a position bombs put Samus in.

Last edited:

Otterz

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Otterz

1. Are on a timer
2. Do low damge
3. Do not kill

They will run through the bomb without fear and rip you apart. I've seen for 6 years in brawl and it will happen again here because bombs still suck.

I'm mean, honestly, when I see a fellow Samus drop a bomb, I am free to charge shot, dair, nair, Bair or up+b. I have a buffet of punishes I can dish out. Now think if that Samus is fighting a fox/sonic/diddy/sheik? Lol one bomb drop could equal your death or a massive percent gain. That's not good.

Now on the low end of the skill spectrum, yes, bombs are more viable for defense and mobility because the foe is afraid to test the waters or simply isn't smart enough to see how bad of a position bombs put Samus in.
Ahh alright, I get it. I'm a new Samus main so thanks for the insight!

BlackCephie

Smash Journeyman

1. Are on a timer
2. Do low damge
3. Do not kill

This is where I see spacing coming in, not to mention that the time you are vulnerable after dropping a bomb isn't really THAT long. Its certainly long enough to punish her, but maneuvering and spacing properly means that they eat the bomb if they go for a punish. The bomb is on a timer, but if I'm not mistaken after a certain time the bomb becomes contact explosive until it expires. This means they really only have a small window in which to dash straight through the bomb. Either way, I think its best to use them preemptively, before the approach actually starts. If anything, I think it still warrants some experimentation at high level play. The interrupt factor definitely helps her at close range in more ways than one.

Last edited:

Xyro77

Bombs do not interrupt anything if the foe knows how bombs work. They run past the bomb, hit you or grab you or pivot hit/grab.

Bombs are never proximity. They only set off by timer and or if you HIT them.

Please take what you think you know and apply it to players with Samus exp. Hell, play me and I'll show you how bad it is.

BlackCephie

Smash Journeyman
Bombs do not interrupt anything if the foe knows how bombs work. They run past the bomb, hit you or grab you or pivot hit/grab.

Please take what you think you know and apply it to players with Samus exp. Hell, play me and I'll show you how bad it is.[/quot
Im not saying anything is law, Im just saying I witnessed success using them in smart ways, regardless of how much experience the Samus player has. Im not a new Samus player by any means. I've been a competitive Samus player since melee training with dudes like Chudat, Chillen, M2K, Dr. PeePee and loads of other crazy smashfolk. My Samus went through the gauntlet and I never deviated from her as my main in an iteration of Smash. I am certainly not trying to sound abrasive or turn this into an argument, just stating that for the record. Although her bombs are Brawl type, I think the new speed and physics of the game allow her to actually use them more effectively. Im going to be keeping an eye out on the progress of Samus, and if it turns out to be a completely and utterly useless move then fine, but I am seeing a lot of players use them creatively and smartly, and cannot deny the clutch things that even I have made happen with a downb.

Also, I'd LOVE to play against you. I have no doubt that I would learn a huge amount about the game. Lets coordinate it

Last edited:

the.tok

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2767-0503-3415

Please take what you think you know and apply it to players with Samus exp. Hell, play me and I'll show you how bad it is.
What you say does make sense, and I know you know what you're talking about. You're right, bombs are probably useless.
That said, I can't help really really hoping you're wrong about this. Samus with useless bombs and not so usefull missiles is a bit of a shame, so I must admit that I (we?) still have the biais that there's gotta be a way to use them !

This is why I think it's positive that people try so hard to find some use. Who knows? it's unlikely but at this stage can still happen.

And there's always hope it can at least be useful at average-level play at least for shenanigans :)

Xyro77

There is always a chance we could find something decently do-able in terms of bomb use but I doubt it will be from me.

Los4Muros

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Los4Muros
3DS FC
2852-9328-5396
Great tips. I've been using bombs a lot lately, but I'm trying to learn when to use them without the risk of getting punished. I think bombs do have a use though. There's few situations in which you can use them without a punish, but I'm pretty sure you can use them at least five times a match. I think Xyro was who previously recommended trying to play mind games avoiding a Full Charge Shot. This tip is great, they really don't expect the hit coming and if damage is high, it doesn't really matter if it's fully charged since either way it'll kill. But at a higher level of play, wouldn't it be predictable if we all use this? Either way, after a lot of damage, it doesn't really matter if it's fully charged.

And there's always hope it can at least be useful at average-level play at least for shenanigans :)
I'm really hoping to be an amazing Samus player. One of the world's best.
I try to avoid using anything that will only work with common and average players. Getting used to moves we're not suppose to be applying in certain situation can make you get used to it and stop you from advancing or learning the better option. In For Glory I've noticed that Dash Attack works a lot more than with players from SmashBoards. Missile spamming does too as well as baits and basic Samus mind tricks. But after a good week of ranking up in For Glory I noticed I got a lot worse (irony). Dash attack would obviously get punished, so would my overuse of bombs. I would use UpB ignoring the huge risk it holds if missing and Charge shots would get shielded or dodged.

I think bombs have their use and for that I keep using them or checking them out. But if after advancing I see that bombs are only limiting me, I'll definitively stop. Of course it's good to always keep checking them out for new finds.

BlackCephie

Smash Journeyman
I would encourage everyone to experiment with bombs. Figure out the best ways and times to use them, and play better and better players along the way, thereby allowing you to adapt your methods to those higher level players. That is how we will really find out how to use them effectively.

Beard Hawk

Smash Apprentice
Good ideas, great video. I love how differently everyone plays as Samus at the moment, it might just be because the game is new, but I hope it stays this way. Personally, I think Sm4sh Samus is the best Samus there has been.

Afro Smash

Smash Ace
NNID
Afro_Smash
3DS FC
2938-6360-9529
I think bombs are decent vs slower + bigger characters, however characters like shiek and fox can basically always dash underneath/through them and punish you, or just trade an Up smash for your bomb (obviously not favourable) and for edgeguarding I'd rather go off stage myself to do it since she has so many other great options aside from bombs

The_Woebegone_Jackal

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Faver_Jo
3DS FC
4854-6514-7143
If only this stuff worked at the higher level of play.
These work as mix ups which at high play as I'm sure you know is insanely important. Although I would always be cautious of bomb dropping above someone specifically, it can actually interrupt dash attacks or grabs that are attempted against you as a landing punish if you drop a bomb to where you land, or keep them from camping the edge if you dropped one just before grabbing ledge. Situational.

However I would say that dropping bombs from the ledge is a legitimate tactic. It limits options of recovery, and a player shouldn't really be expecting to hit someone with the bomb anyway, rather just to force them into a more limited situation which should help your edge guard. Some characters however are actually gimped by bomb drops if they recover low (missiles, threat of chargeshot, etc) such as Mario or Falcon as the bomb hits them out of their upB with just enough hitstun to knock them too low for another upB to reach. I would suggest actually jumping off the ledge to get the bomb further out slightly myself as it is more likely to hit that way, unless they make a habit of hugging the wall during recovery. Of course they can adapt and start to recover high or upB early, which is exactly what you want, making them that much easier to gimp. Mind games yadda yadda.

Last edited:

Xyro77

When you do mix ups, you almost NEVER choose a terrible move with almost zero reward (even if it's successful) because the risk is too high....especially with a lower tiered character.

GotACoolName

Smash Journeyman

By "hit them," do you mean attack them or just touch them? Because I'm pretty sure you don't have to attack them. If I use a bomb on the ground, it will explode at the second bounce and deal 5% damage to an opponent standing next to it. If I use a bomb on the ground on top of someone, it will explode earlier, at the apex of the first bounce, and deal two hits for a total 9%. That player touching it causes the bomb to go off early and deal an extra hit worth 4%. Seems like a pretty clear-cut proximity explosion.

Last edited:

Conda

aka COBBS - Content Creator (Toronto region)
When the bomb is flashing, near the end of its lifespan, they explode on contact. Pretty sure of this. At least it was passed down to me as certain info, and it's felt 100% correct through gameplay and usage of the bombs. But I hadn't thought to test it.

Either way, the difficulty of telling for sure shows that it's still not 'amazeballs', and it'd be better if they were changed to always explode on contact.

The_Woebegone_Jackal

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Faver_Jo
3DS FC
4854-6514-7143
When the bomb is flashing, near the end of its lifespan, they explode on contact. Pretty sure of this. At least it was passed down to me as certain info, and it's felt 100% correct through gameplay and usage of the bombs. But I hadn't thought to test it.

Either way, the difficulty of telling for sure shows that it's still not 'amazeballs', and it'd be better if they were changed to always explode on contact.
You can test it yourself in training at 1/4th speed, it does indeed explode on contact after a set startup timetime has passed. The difference in its self detonation versus the proximity detonation is so miniscule however that I've only had it make any difference off stage as part of an edgegaurd/gimp, otherwise its negligible onstage.

Last edited:

BlackCephie

Smash Journeyman
You can test it yourself in training at 1/4th speed, it does indeed explode on contact after a set startup timetime has passed. The difference in its self detonation versus the proximity detonation is so miniscule however that I've only had it make any difference off stage as part of an edgegaurd/gimp, otherwise its negligible onstage.
I thought this. I dont its useless in a mixup, but i also think it has a lot to do with playstyle. I like to use pivot moves to harrass opponents and make them chase me. Bombs help a lot because i use them in walls, conditioning them to pause movement repeatedly. Spacing so vital.

Top Bottom