• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

My Thoughts on the 3.5 Changes

-Ran

Smash Master
I really wish that F-tilt's animation matched the hit boxes. It's driving me crazy as I whiff moves that have the sword actually going through my opponent. :(

9bit

BRoomer
BRoomer
So many of MK's hitboxes don't match his sword right now. Makes it feel really strange.

Nuttre

Smash Apprentice
I feel like i am playing a low tier after being so free in 3.02
Might go play another character that feels more top tier (don't take this the wrong way)

Also, does dthrow chaingrab now?

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
I feel like i am playing a low tier after being so free in 3.02
Might go play another character that feels more top tier (don't take this the wrong way)

Also, does dthrow chaingrab now?
Mk still in that top 15 range >_> you like most other MKs have been spoiled by the following
Dthrow
The grab range
Lagless up b and its tricks
Dair

Dthrow can grab a few people repeatably
Others, not so much. Fox can raw usmash you for doing it, from what I've been told.

Streetwize

Smash Apprentice
It drives me insane. I'm a very visual guy; without the hitboxes matching, I don't think I can play MK. :(
Definitely dropping him until these problems are at least addressed. I don't want to think the crew didn't meticulously look over MK, but I don't want to believe this "adjustment" is intentional. v_v

Nuttre

Smash Apprentice
Mk still in that top 15 range >_> you like most other MKs have been spoiled by the following
Dthrow
The grab range
Lagless up b and its tricks
Dair
Yeah, i'm one that falls under that category for sure.

Dthrow can grab a few people repeatably
Others, not so much. Fox can raw usmash you for doing it, from what I've been told.
So it is just medium weights like mario who get chaingrabbed?

Frost | Odds

Puddings: 1 /// Odds: 0
Sure you still have fun with him if you like the spacing and patient Brawl-like playstyle. But 3.0 MK changed that he could be aggressive, fast, and had a great tech chase game pretty much the exact opposite of the slow Brawl style. Me personally I do find this boring compared to his old style.
God forbid that this character with incredible ground speed and dash dance, huge disjoint, one of the best tech chase games in PM, fast and safe moves, a tiny hurtbox, one of the best gimp games in PM, an omnidirectional sex kick, several awesome horizontal and vertical kill moves, a great combo game, and four jumps should have a meaningful weakness.

I know I'm a couple weeks late to the party (and I love you, 9bit), but reading this thread made me pretty irate. Sorry guys, something absolutely had to give. I know it sucks that a bunch of your stuff is slower/laggier, but I don't know what could be expected to happen.

- Can't nerf range, or hitboxes wouldn't match animations
- Can't dramatically change combo/juggle game, that would mess with your muscle memory even more
- Can't make down b not a great kill move, or it wouldn't be worth using instead of your smashes
- Can't really nerf ground speed, or you'd be making precisely the sorts of complaints you're making now, only probably more of them.

What's left? Pretty much exactly the things that were changed.

Seriously, you guys got it incredibly easy compared to ...
-Mewtwo mains (though they were even more spoiled before, a lot of their old muscle memory now literally results in suicides, they have to relearn their entire spacing/neutral game, can't really combo into shadow balls anymore, lots of other stuff)
-Diddy/Pit mains (their entire goddamn kits behave differently now)
-Pikachu mains (he already sucked hard, and still had his muscle memory messed with)
-Everyone whose character is still objectively worse than MK (see: Pikachu again, probably still many others)

I don't know why I wrote this. I'm even less sure why I'm actually posting rather than deleting it. Hell, you've probably adapted already in the time between this thread was made and this post. Whatever.

Last edited:

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
God forbid that this character with incredible ground speed and dash dance, huge disjoint, one of the best tech chase games in PM, fast and safe moves, a tiny hurtbox, one of the best gimp games in PM, an omnidirectional sex kick, several awesome horizontal and vertical kill moves, a great combo game, and four jumps should have a meaningful weakness.

I know I'm a couple weeks late to the party (and I love you, 9bit), but reading this thread made me pretty irate. Sorry guys, something absolutely had to give. I know it sucks that a bunch of your stuff is slower/laggier, but I don't know what could be expected to happen.

- Can't nerf range, or hitboxes wouldn't match animations
- Can't dramatically change combo/juggle game, that would mess with your muscle memory even more
- Can't make down b not a great kill move, or it wouldn't be worth using instead of your smashes
- Can't really nerf ground speed, or you'd be making precisely the sorts of complaints you're making now, only probably more of them.

What's left? Pretty much exactly the things that were changed.

Seriously, you guys got it incredibly easy compared to ...
-Mewtwo mains (though they were even more spoiled before, a lot of their old muscle memory now literally results in suicides, they have to relearn their entire spacing/neutral game, can't really combo into shadow balls anymore, lots of other stuff)
-Diddy/Pit mains (their entire goddamn kits behave differently now)
-Pikachu mains (he already sucked hard, and still had his muscle memory messed with)
-Everyone whose character is still objectively worse than MK (see: Pikachu again, probably still many others)

I don't know why I wrote this. I'm even less sure why I'm actually posting rather than deleting it. Hell, you've probably adapted already in the time between this thread was made and this post. Whatever.
Why are you on my land

9bit

BRoomer
BRoomer
I've softened up to the changes since I wrote this topic, and I was always confident that the changes were made at least with the intention of being better for the game overall, but I tried to make it clear in the OP that I wasn't criticizing the changes from a balance standpoint. Just from a personal fun perspective. I find Meta Knight less fun to play now than his 3.5 version and I think a lot of other people do too.

He is still a good, if not great character. He just plays differently.

Top Bottom