• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

My studies

Bedi Vegeta

Smash Master
Nice, I especially like the shoulder/neck study. Since I'm guessing you used reference for these, there's not really much to crit, although in the legs one, the right shin looks pretty bowed to me, and it almost looks like the calf is on the front of the leg as well as the back.

Post some full body studies!

DRD

Smash Lord
Thanks guys.

Yes, FDV, I'm using refs for these, the bowed leg would be my fault, actually you can see the black sketch lines next to the white on the right leg down there, I just rendered it with white too far in. =/

T-major

Smash Champion
LOVE IT!! I love the sketchy style of it! I'd love to see some art pieces besides anatomy studies. you sir defenatly have talent. keep up the good work.

Thundermistress

BRoomer
BRoomer
Wow :3

Very nice stuff! I should probably be doing this sort of thing myself xD

I love the neck/shoulder study as well :3 And the eyes are great too ^3^

Top notch stuff, keep at it :3

DRD

Smash Lord
Thanks...I've been away because my Internet's been down, but now I'm back and I've done some more stuff since this, should get it uploaded in the next day or 2.

mkmelee

Smash Lord
Great stuff. Some of them seem almost cartoonish, but that doesn't really matter... Unless you're not going for that look. I like the use of white and black. (white conte?) The cross hatching is done quite well too.
My favourites are the one with the legs and the one that focuses on the thumb.
I need to do more studies myself... Too much copying and blind creativity...

I'm even more impressed now. 91er too eh? :laugh: I'll look forward to any other work you upload.

mkmelee

Smash Lord
That's really well done.!! You have a good grip on anatomy; excellent sketches. Hope that you'll update when you draw some more!
Being able to draw from reference has little to do with knowledge of anatomy. It can definitely help to build up your knowledge of it, but honestly, little to no knowledge of anatomy is really needed to draw a realistic body from reference.

Ami

Smash Ace
Being able to draw from reference has little to do with knowledge of anatomy. It can definitely help to build up your knowledge of it, but honestly, little to no knowledge of anatomy is really needed to draw a realistic body from reference.
Oh, I just made the connection - "studies" and "references". I thought it was freehand without reference. Thanks for the clear-up, mkmelee. These are still well drawn, though.

DRD

Smash Lord
It is prudent to think of such things when you are drawing from life, or else you are just copying and gaining less knowledge. Which is why I look at what I'm drawing and identify the areas, where they are under the skin and how they make general forms, thinking of anatomy as I draw it.

It helps in the longrun. Anatomic knowledge may not be needed for it, but it's what helps you when you draw it.

Thanks for the replies. I've got a huge Self-portrait that I'll have up soon.

mkmelee

Smash Lord
It is prudent to think of such things when you are drawing from life, or else you are just copying and gaining less knowledge. Which is why I look at what I'm drawing and identify the areas, where they are under the skin and how they make general forms, thinking of anatomy as I draw it.

It helps in the longrun. Anatomic knowledge may not be needed for it, but it's what helps you when you draw it.

Thanks for the replies. I've got a huge Self-portrait that I'll have up soon.
Yeah I realize that. I wasn't criticizing you in any way either. I'm mainly saying from my own experience. I consider myself a pretty good copier, but when it comes to anatomical knowledge, I'm just above average. I've drawn many things from life, but in my younger years I rarely thought to study while drawing, and so i was merely stating that even without anatomical knowledge of whatever you may be drawing, a realistic whatever can be drawn from reference.

DRD

Smash Lord
Yeah I know, you were talking to that other guy.

@Hatter: I like to study on the internet. You can find anything you need there. But right now I'm just 15 and a freshman in an arts high school, so I dunno if you would count that as major studying. Just classes. The drawings I've done right there, well my middle school art teacher was very supportive but it was mostly assignments, I pretty much developed it on my own.

Dunno what I'd do without the internet...

Edit, oh yeah, I was gonna post a self-portrait so here:

Blah really scratchy, was hurrying to finish before due date.

Before you comment I have to tell you that the assignment was to use grids. So it was oh so much easier to get proportions right, so i'm not as proud of this as I am other things I've done without help.

mkmelee

Smash Lord
Nice stuff. I too am in gr. 10 and at an arts high school.

The self-portrait is done fairly well, and if you had a photo posted up, I'd be able to point more things out but I'll just type a few points.

The shading around the nose area is done quite well outlining the darks and lights in a pretty smooth manner. I wouldn't know for sure, but to me it feels like there are details that you omitted. Mostly details around the eyes such as little wrinkles and such, but then again your lighting is pretty intense, so those details may not be too apparent. I'm guessing it's around 3 feet long by 2 feet wide, and so I know what you mean by getting lazy. Particularly in the hair, but then again, I was very lazy in terms of the hair on a similar self portrait assignment from gr. 9. Similar laziness is apparent in the shirt, but I think it's okay.

Overall it's quite impressive, and the dramatic lighting is quite cool, but I'd recommend pursuing those details a step further next time.

Oh and I don't recommend doing grids, although I know it was part of the assignment. I guess it can help out, but going without obviously builds more skill. And by the way I don't expect any of this stuff to be news to you.

DRD

Smash Lord
No, the photo showed only the slightest folds and skin around the eyes and it was much too light for me to draw and have it seen by a scanner.

And no, I never use grids unless I have to. I agree.

Yeah, I had one class left to finish the hair, I had spent too much time doing really light cross-hatching around the right eye and nose area. All of the shadows were done with cross-hatching, I probably spent 3/4's of the time doing this on that area...Lol, my mistake.

Top Bottom