• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

My Specific Link Problems

Agenie04991

Smash Cadet
Ive seen the main Doc v. Link thread here and that helped a lot, but I have a few more specific questions on this matchup.

Firstly, is there any good way around that hookshot? I know i could SHFFL something behind him, but from that point I kinda run out of things to do as the Link I play against just rolls away from me.

Second, if the Link does grab me, whats the best way out of his throw (I think its the DThrow)? It usually ends in a Util from him then a Uair. With DI, I can get away after just one UTilt, but is one side better to DI towards? Especially when I'm close to the edge, I don't know exactly what to do.

Lastly (for now), I would really appreciate some tips on edge guarding Link. My Bairs off the edge get messed up in his spin attack an my edgehog roll-ons seem to end too fast to get him. Some tips on timing or whatever would be great

Uhh, that's all for right now I guess...

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
First off, Link's hookshot kinda is a "situational" grab - he cant just spam it like most characters, since he'll get punished in the recovery frames. So what you have to look for are the situations where he can hookshot you.
i.e. - from any aerial (especially b.air)
- to tech chase you
- or if you're standing around holding your shield up (and he fakes an aerial or something of the nature)

Second, if he grabs you at a low percent, you can try to DI away, but I think your screwed. I dont know enough about link to tell you if there is a way out of this (im actually pickin up link right now), but as far as I know from fighting links, dont get grabbed at low percents.

Third. If he goes under the stage, you can try to ledgehop a bair through his spin (but you have to hit him early so you still have your invincibility frames). You can stand on the stage and pill. Apparently alot of link players are afraid of the cape, but i've never figured out how to cape them safely.

You can always try $mac's d.air -> b.air, since you can land on top of link's up+b.

And if you really wanna get fancy; if you see link going to hook shot, you can try to jump down and cape it like bob$ (good luck.)

___

That's all the advice i got for you off the top of my head.

SpruceTengu

Smash Journeyman
Regarding the hookshot--I end up playing against ALOT of Links in both my Crews, and I thinkt he best method is to (A) figure out what your opponent uses it for (I.E. what do they use it as a response for, when do they make use of it the most) and (B) capitalizing on ways to influence that response when you want it.
More specifically, i find alot of Links use its range to snag charging opponents with its superior range. So, my solution is often to charge straight at them with a certain timing and do a delayed wavedash to cancel a jump, continuing into a standing dodge. This usually convinces the link that you're either going for a jump attack or a running attack, and they'll go for the jump, though your standing dodge (if timed well.. this takes practice) leaves them with a bad cooldown and you with a free hit or two.

Getting grabbed by a link at a lower percentage is definately going to be a problem. If you have the time i might try to work in a Dair or even cape, depending on where you can DI to in the time that you'r eflying; even an up-B just to throw off his timing and provide an interruption, anything to stop that heavy hitting combo. Overall its a pretty desperate situation,a nd i wouldnt call any of those methods reliable.. just "possible". Just look for a w ay to do something unexpected.

In my opinion edgeguarding links is REALLY hard. I've been trying to work on that myself, especially against my more skilled crewmates. I definately agree with Dogy about the cape.. i.. really dont get how it works on links, and haven'tmanaged to make it work much myself. Pills have done a good job for me, but thats mostly just in screwing with them as they come up, and better people can just keep Up-b-ing till they get where they want to. It does work for getting some quick damage, though. In my experience, running out to intercept has worked pretty well, as, once again, its pretty **** unexpected. I'd try the bair/sexkick for something like that, just be cautious and make sure you can get back on the stage.
Also, as far as i know, Link isnt all that varied in the ways he can get back onto the stage, and is none too swift about it, so if you can read them as they come back from the ledge, you can smack them right back off again if you have good enough timing. I'd really like to see what other people come up with for this one.

Gea

Smash Master
Alot of people suggest forcing Link to get back on with a spin attack, edgehogging, then using the cooldown lag to fsmash or (usually) backthrow them back off the edge, which can set you up for just a plain ol' edgehog for the win.

Or just mindgame them to come in high. Doc can guard much better if the Link is above them even a tiny bit. Also if you see them doing a low hookshot you can try to stagespike them. Just be careful, if you get hit out chances are you aren't making it back.

WhatIsPie?

Smash Apprentice
Try Bairing link from underneath him. I find that I only mess up my Bair when I'm coming from above link. And if he's trying to sweet spot, just keep resetting the invincibility frame until his upB gets really close to you then try hitting him out of it.

I've also managed to wavedash backwards onto the edge at the last possible second to edgehog him. If you wavedash too early, you'll either get hit by the upB before you even get to the edge or you'll get to the edge but run out of invincibility frames.

Top Bottom