• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

My Smash Corner: Step Dash!

Tired of not having a reliable movement option like wavedashes back in Super Smash Bros. Melee? Well, now you have one (pretty much)!

My Smash Corner, the YouTube channel that has brought many techs to light, has revealed yet another one, this time, the step dash!

This tech takes advantage of step-walking mechanics and makes your character gain momentum, but we will leave the explanations to MSC. Why don't you watch the video for yourself?

So what do you think? Are you planning on using this tech? Let us know in the comments! Be sure to follow and subscribe to My Smash Corner!

Mario "Diosdi" Osuna

Comments

The technique is neat. I can see every top Smash 4 player ignoring it until MK Leo trashes them with it in combination with PP, unfortunately.

Hopefully this gets patched, because projectile-based characters already have it tough. Now this just makes it worse. Thankfully it's hard to consistently pull off, but it's muscle memory so practice will eventually make perfect-ish.

Last edited:
First, answer me this - why on earth would they patch something like this? It's incredibly minor in practice. If they were that interested in exploits like this, they'd have attempted to get rid of Perfect Pivoting and Bidou by now. You all need to get out of this patch culture, it's bad for the development of the game. Discoveries like this keep the game fresh, and even considering that it could be patched gets that opinion about. It's not even like this is something totally unfair.

Alas, I'm glad this is getting more light. When I uploaded the video of Bayonetta's slide a month ago, I knew I could count on MySmashCorner to pull through and explain it more in depth (and even find out new ways to do it/applications in the process!). This is great!

Last edited:
Hopefully this gets patched, because projectile-based characters already have it tough. Now this just makes it worse. Thankfully it's hard to consistently pull off, but it's muscle memory so practice will eventually make perfect-ish.
I will probably change my opinion in the future but atm I'd rather have fun tech and neato torpedo tricks to do over balance

#DacusTechMatters

Edit: Forgot to mention i actually tried doing this and its actually really hard to get consistently

Last edited:
Why does everything need to be compared to Melee tech? Just let Smash4 be its own thing.

(though it pretty much is a wavedash)

Good find. I wonder how many people will stick with Bidou, given that this seems like a longer, more useful PP (at least for Bayo and MK). Being able to PP easily was one of its main draws.

Imagine Void implementing this as a combo extender, or using this in conjunction with foxtrots/perfect pivots/dash trotting/extended dash dancing...that would be hype.

I don't care about the technical applications. I WILL master this to **** around with people.

Last edited:
Seems even harder than wavedashing, but looks very useful for at least Meta Knight. I wonder how far other characters will move.

As a Melee player, I've been waiting for something like this to get me excited about learning Smash 4. So I'm happy that this was discovered.

Just please don't patch it out. The possibilities with this at high level play could be abundant.

I will probably change my opinion in the future but atm I'd rather have fun tech and neato torpedo tricks to do over balance

#DacusTechMatters

Edit: Forgot to mention i actually tried doing this and its actually really hard to get consistently
This trick did remind me of DACUS.

I really had a hrad time to control my joy stick properly. So this trick may be a good way for training.

I have been trying to perform this on the classic pro controller and cannot seem to do it. Is this only possible on a game cube controller?

I have been trying to perform this on the classic pro controller and cannot seem to do it. Is this only possible on a game cube controller?
I can't do it on gamecube controller either. If this isn't False's idea of a joke, and it is real, then it's so strict as to be nearly impossible to pull off.

I was able to do it a few times on 1/4 speed with the Pro controller so it is possible, but I'm nowhere near consistent. On MySmashCorner's twitter he says it doesn't actually need to be frame perfect, though the distance is lessened if you're off. It'll take a lot of time to do consistently but starting at 1/4 speed is really important since it's a lot harder in faster speeds.

I feel like a lot of the tech being discovered in 4 can be useful, but most of its so hard to pull off it just wont make it very far

Really difficult tech to pull off, but I think this can possibly push the metagame to heights I wouldn't have expected from this game. Super stoked to see how and if this will be implemented in top level play!

D
Ugh, another Frame-Perfect useless tech that nobody will be able to reliably pull off in battle.

Top Bottom