• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

My Smash Corner: Lagless Ledge Get-Up in Smash 4

MySmashCorner's latest youtube video covers a technique he discovered early in the 3DS version of Smash 4, but could not reliably recreate until just recently--the ability to get up from the ledge without lag, letting the player act as soon as they are back on stage. In the video, he gives instructions on how to execute this new tech, and lists what known characters can take advantage of it, and on what stages.

This tech seems incredibly useful, and the number of characters that can use it is growing as more players test it on more characters. How will this new tech impact Smash 4? On what stages would this tech be most useful? Join the conversation below!

Comments

Sometimes, these videos with super hard techs make me wonder, "Who would be "better" at Smash? MySmashCorner or ZeRo?" ZeRo has been said to be the best Smash 4 player in the world, but MSC has ben the one using these techs in his gameplay.
ZeRo. I imagine its not even close.

Tech skill can definitely be beneficial but its only a portion of what makes a good smasher and It gets over emphasized in the eyes of most beginners. Theres so much more important things that go into winning a match - and winning them so consistantly- than superior tech skill and Zero is so much more advanced in this - not to mention he's no slouch when it comes to tech skill either.

But who cares, ZeRo wins tourneys and MSC gives us the best tutorials on smash tech youtube has to offer and past that it doesn't matter as they're both the top/best at what they like to do.

Wavelanding in melee it's way easier to do lol.
I mean I can do it somewhat consistenly, after all Kirby's backthrow animation cancel is a 2 frame window and I manage to pull it off 90% of the time...
BUT STILL! Sometimes I wish that things like this were at the very least somewhat easier to perform, I swear like 50% of advance techs in this game are just a chore to do and don't really open up a huge scope of options most of the time
I just want someone to discover some awesome advance tech with some lenient timing like a 5-10 frame window, that would be sweet.

I was practicing it and noticed it could also be performed quite easily another way (though not that quick!)

You can do it if you press down instead of to the side or if you do press to the side but do a half downwards circle to the other side.
So let's say you're on the right ledge: down -> left -> jump. Or right -> down -> left -> jump.

I you do it like this your character gets further from the ledge so it takes longer to get back up with the jump. The jump is still canceled, but later.

This can still be useful though since usually when you see someone get down and jump at the ledge you expect an aerial attack.
Instead you cancel your jump and grab the opponent.

Also, I have no proof for this, but it also looks like it can be performed with more characters and on more stages since it was much easier to perform.
Hype!

Would that be L cancelling? Cuz if so, I'm with Sakurai: L-cancelling is a cancer.
I don't think Sakurai ever said that; in fact, it was intentionally added in the first two games but then removed in Brawl because Sakurai wanted Smash to maintain the "party game" mentality of Smash.
Not because he didn't like it. He included it because he did, but removed it because he felt it gave better players an unfair advantage.
If we hadn't gone nuts with it in the first place, or if Sakurai had made it more known as a part of the game (as it was only mentioned in the 64's manual), it likely could still be around.
Wavedashing, while the devs knew about it, was indeed just a buggy game mechanic. I'm alright with it being gone (as in it's place harder techs that achieve a similar result are now usable), but I do wish L-Cancelling was still a thing.
It's also evident that Sakurai still likes the idea, as evidenced by the Smooth Lander equipment in Smash 4, which is a way to give players playing the game as a party game this reduced landing lag, without them having to get consistent at tech skill.
L-Cancelling really isn't that hard anyway. I picked up Melee for the first time competitively a month or so ago, and my L-Cancels are pretty consistent. Same goes for PM.

I'm in the camp that l-canceling is a bad mechanic, for one sole reason: it adds complexity, without adding depth. (What's the difference?) Playing Smash is obviously more complex with the technique; you need to press another button with precise timing. However, it adds nothing in the way of depth, or in other words, meaningful decisions in gameplay. You'll always want to l-cancel, as doing it has a huge good side, and no bad side. There's literally no reason not to l-cancel; compared to wavedashing, there are many times when, say, a roll's invulnerability may make it better than wavedashing. L-canceling, though, has no real alternative option to it besides more landing lag, which doesn't have any desirable traits. There's no strategy, or choice, or depth involved; it just separates the good players from the bad players... without making the game more enjoyable or deeper for either side. That's what I believe Sakurai was getting at, and I'm glad that the mechanic has been removed, personally.

But I'd be down with halved landing lag on aerials by default, to help simulate the combos, fast pace, n' stuff that l-canceling did enable.

Last edited:
L-cancelling is just a pointless tax. Sure, it draws a line between "better" players and worse players, but the players who improve with L-Cancelling are just better at taking advantage of L-Cancelling. It says nothing of their ability to make reads, zone and space, maintain a cool head, react quickly, or any of the other things people like to watch for. Nobody ever says "Oh, so-and-so is the best L-Canceller in the game today" or "Goodness, that was an amazing L-cancel!" Sure, players who are better at that particular task are more likely to win matches they are in, but that's a boring task to track. It's just a pointless technical tax, IMO.

I'm glad melee fans like it. I don't understand it, but nobody is forcing me to watch Melee, so it's no skin off my back. Smash 4, OTOH, is my game of choice, and I'd rather this game was less about rote technical performance and more about head-to-head skills.

I like how this thread turned into yet another Melee hating wagon topic. *sigh* Why are some Smash 4 players so insecure that they always feel the need to hate on Melee even tho the video doesn't even mention Melee? Seriously this is the part of the Smash 4 community that I hope could just grow up :/

I like how this thread turned into yet another Melee hating wagon topic. *sigh* Why are some Smash 4 players so insecure that they always feel the need to hate on Melee even tho the video doesn't even mention Melee? Seriously this is the part of the Smash 4 community that I hope could just grow up :/
I legitimately don't believe that l-canceling is a good gameplay mechanic. No hate towards Melee, but if I feel that there's something that detracts from the gameplay, I'll speak up about it. If l-canceling was in Smash 4, I'd say the exact same thing.

L-cancelling is just a pointless
I get where you're coming from, having read a few of your posts, but you have to consider the tech in question and its possibilities but also its limitations.
It's not like this tech is going to make you lose a stock or multiple sets on its own; like anything else, it acts as an addition to the primary toolset and corresponding gameplan.
Not everyone will do it correctly, not everyone will have the right option once they get on the stage, and it's a rather specific tech as opposed to wavedashing which can be used everywhere.

I've seen this time and time again, especially pre-Smash 4, but you guys worry way too much about this stuff -- I don't even perfect pivot or roll cancel grab (although I can), but it hasn't lost me any sets, much less any % worth noting.
Just try to remember that it's not the tech itself, but how its used and your response to that use.

Its an incredible tech that is really hard to pull off
Hopefully I can master this but I've done it once on accident I think

How do you people do this without screaming internally? I tried to do it as Mac for two hours and got so mad I had to lay down and count to ten.

I'm fairly certain every character could do it and suffer soft landing lag (2 frames for every character) with unique timings. But it becomes questionably semantic whether the lag cancel is, in fact, "instant". His footage shows Little Mac several frames into his double jump animation, making his much less instant than Marth. I even tried with Bowser and got it, but his is just as slow, if not slower than Mac's.
He said on stages like Lylat the timing is less strict; especially when tilted. You could be right if you did see this with bowser, but it may depend on jump height and speed; maybe even the map.

Top Bottom