• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

My Smash Corner: Diddy Kong Tricks

Rango the Mercenary

The Mercenary
3DS FC
2320-6400-7280
That's cool you want to do things that way if you want.

There most certainly is a reason why anyone would want to conform to a top tier to win. It's a competition with money on the line. So you can intentionally cripple yourself while Diddy makes more money than any other character.
That's called taking the fun out of the game. Now it's revolving around politics and conformity. Do you see why simply switching to such a top tier is a move that hurts the community rather than allows it to grow?

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
That's called taking the fun out of the game. Now it's revolving around politics and conformity. Do you see why simply switching to such a top tier is a move that hurts the community rather than allows it to grow?
You can play whoever you want with your playgroup, but it isn't the job of competitors to make the game fun or enjoyable to watch.

Conti

Smash Ace
Yay i was doing a diff way of popgun cancleing involving the sheild cancle on landing. I was wondering how ZeRo was doing this at Apex. Sneaky.

Herosicle

Smash Rookie
NNID
australian-obama
3DS FC
3754-9310-3109
My smash corner has actually helped me so much in sm4sh. thank the lord for him

Foster J.

Smash Ace
Man :4diddy: is truely becoming the Meta Knight of Wii U with all this tech, sure b-reversal in the air was already known, but instant backwards crawling, jumping jetpacks "Gimpable recovery"... please let some of these be bugs

Mr Moosebones

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Moosebones
I'm gonna guess you don't actually go to tournaments.

You're allowed to play whoever you want. So is everyone else. Their reasons for doing so are as equally valid as your reasons for not doing so.

Aguki90

Smash Ace
NNID
Aguki900
3DS FC
2423-2759-1478
Diddy and its own Bananacolipsy is coming.
Things get worse and I need to get better.

Pryze

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Apollon1an
.......Okay, any possible chance we can learn things that other characters can do besides Diddy Kong? I'm sitting here with this Charizard wondering how the heck I'm supposed to win against a cast that has such better options...
Well, when you choose to play a character that you are aware is lackluster compared to the rest of the cast, you willingly accept the immediate handicap having to play/work a lot harder.

A_Phoenix_Down

Banned via Warnings
HA! Diddy users... what an embarrassment. It's okay guys and gals. The secret is projectiles and dodge. Diddy's can't grab what they can't hit.
Are you TRYING to make him Meta Knight 2.0?
What's ironic is Metaknight's been nerfed to extinction in Smash 4.

flying_tortoise

Smash Journeyman
My first reaction was..."Really? Do we need this article?"

But honestly the Diddy people would have found out about it anyway, and by showing this stuff on smashboards at least we all know about it before getting caught off-guard to this stuff in a match.

Still sucks that we can't even read his side+B for his recovery anymore, ...well possible but much more difficult.

Also about the jump momentum-> upB well every diddy is going to do it when recovering from below, so at least I dont have to expect mixups from that point.

But yah we would've had to deal with this stuff sooner or later

Rango the Mercenary

The Mercenary
3DS FC
2320-6400-7280
Well, when you choose to play a character that you are aware is lackluster compared to the rest of the cast, you willingly accept the immediate handicap having to play/work a lot harder.
And you know what? It's worth that struggle,

And by struggle, there's barely one to begin with. While it's known Sheik and Diddy are top tier, the game has been out for less than a year. Diddy is already becoming easier to matchup against since December, and Charizard is a far, far better character than he was in Brawl.

But in general, I'll dignify a loss using the character that represents me over a win using a character and becoming a dime-a-dozen player who resorts to the winning character. Why struggle to learn someone who doesn't fit my style when I enjoy the game far more using my favorites?

I'm gonna guess you don't actually go to tournaments.

You're allowed to play whoever you want. So is everyone else. Their reasons for doing so are as equally valid as your reasons for not doing so.
That is an incredibly ignorant guess and a myopic representation of the tournament scene.

I was at Olympus. I saw one Sheik and no Diddy players. If there were any, they didn't place. The most we had were several Captain Falcon players, and the winner was a Pikachu.

Last edited:

SHiFT_

Smash Apprentice
Super-crawled hoo-hah, followed by a popgun-cancelled hoo-hah and finished with a banana throw into hoo-hah.

Hoo-hah strings.

Phoenix502

Smash Ace
NNID
Phoenix502
3DS FC
4811-6967-8095
If Sm4sh goes the way of Melee in terms of literally no character variety outside of few notable outliers due to a strict adherence to a single "best" character, I may commit sudoku.
uhh, sorry to nitpick, but the term you're thinking of is "Seppuku"... as drastic a claim it may be.

Sudoku is a logic puzzle, and saying you'll commit to that might garner a few weird looks, if not a couple laughs.

Puppyfaic

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Puppyluvv
uhh, sorry to nitpick, but the term you're thinking of is "Seppuku"... as drastic a claim it may be.

Sudoku is a logic puzzle, and saying you'll commit to that might garner a few weird looks, if not a couple laughs.
*woooooosh*

NotAnAdmin

Smash Journeyman
Diddy really might be the best character.

I'm scared guys hold me :urg:

Last edited:

Phoenix502

Smash Ace
NNID
Phoenix502
3DS FC
4811-6967-8095
honestly, it's fine that Diddy gets some new tricks that don't involve the banana, it'll certainly make skilled ones less predictable.

though I'm sure I'm not the only one holding out for some tricks that can help improve everyone else... the JC Glide Toss revealed an excellent means of making the bananas a double edged risk, what else is there that could be used to combat the popular characters?

Glace

Smash Rookie

thatsthejoke.jpg

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Can't believe people are already comparing Diddy to Metaknight. Those people are going to look really stupid when Sheik overtakes him for the #1 spot soon.

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
Cool momentum exploit, wish it worked both directions tho, This seems like the kinda thing that'll get patched, if only because it doesn't work both ways.

HeavyMetalSonic

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bloodriot779
While this might make fighting dK that little be harder (and annoying), hopefully it'll mix things up a bit, so not every dK player you come across will be trying to Hoo-Hah you all the time. Looks like I'm gonna have to work a bit harder on every dK I come across now. ._.

HyruleSmasher

Smash Cadet
From my amateur wisdom of this game so far... the best way to out class diddy is to play GOOD with a character that is great with spacing and you should be fine

'Nanas

Smash Rookie
Yes, let's make Diddy Kong even MORE overused, and completely negate all the other 50 character choices.
If Diddy Kong becomes too overused, then the meta will have to evolve in interesting ways around it.

Puppyfaic

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Puppyluvv
If Diddy Kong becomes too overused, then the meta will have to evolve in interesting ways around it.
It won't evolve, period, if he becomes too overused. Diddy will be the meta, just as he is now.

bpjk27

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4012-4965-4738
Diddy's super crawl looks similar to Luigi's wave scuttle in PM, where Luigi crawls backwards out of a wavedash. A wave scuttle also only works if you're facing right. Seems weird that there's a similar physics exploit in PM and smash 4.

Mudkpz

Smash Rookie
NNID
17Mudkipz
3DS FC
1263-6360-6051
I still don't think Diddy is good enough in this game to get anywhere. They need to buff his Uair, his mobility is trash, no mixups or combos, not enough autocanceling aerials, and to top it all off, he has no KO moves or kill confirms in the form of any item. So glad this video shed some light on such an unexplored character though.
Kappa

Top Bottom