• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

My personal opinions and reasons behind calling characters "OP".

Status
Not open for further replies.

DigiboyGaming

Smash Cadet
Smash is a fun game, filled to the brim with characters. 58 now, right? That being said, Nintendo is a game maker: Not a miracle maker, so I can't expect the game to be completely balanced. Here's my list of what I think needs to be fixed to knock certain characters off their high-horse of untouchable broken-ness.
Note, this is no particular order.
I'm posting this in Online, due to most of my hours being FG.
1) Mario. I don't actually mind that Mario is broken. He's the go-to character for people new to the game. That being said, it's not fun at ALL when skilled players use him and know how to exploit him. It's like using training wheels long after you've mastered riding a bike.
What I think needs to be fixed: Landing lag on all moves.
I don't care how, but end the "D-throw u-tiltx3 u-air u-b" 0 to 50 combo. I know you can DI, but that's 30 damage at least, and it can be used at high %.
End cape-turns. This is possibly the easiest, and least deserved, way to kill someone recovering. Reduce the active period for reflecting projectiles.
This last one is so unbelievably BS I don't even know how I'd fix it, but the Fireball. It makes landing super-safe, halts enemy advancement (And unless you're one of the 4 people to have a decent projectile, this is RAGE INDUCING).

2) Captain Falcon.
Where to even begin with this guy. He has possibly two flaws: Minimal landing options, and no projectile (if that even counts as a flaw). Everything else is absurdly good to the point even a 4 year old is irritating to fight when using him.
What I think needs to be fixed: His complete lack of friction upon grabs. Captain Falcon has the two easiest meteor smashes in the game, his u-tilt and his d-air. Given that he can run-grab you and slide all the way to the edge makes setting these low-percent kills extremely easy.
Nerf the meteor effect of u-tilt. This meteor takes almost no skill or timing to preform, and, coupled with his slide-grab mentioned above, easily leads to 0% Grab-to-death.
Nerf f-smash range. I don't know about you guys, but I'm pretty sure elbows shouldn't outreach swords. Captain Falcons does, as his f-smash easily out-ranges Link's jabs. And probably kills him too because it's also extremely strong.

3) Zero Suit S(p)amus.
Spamus's, Spamus's everywhere. If you're going to give a character a potential 0-to-death combo that's not the easiest to DI out of, do NOT give said character a safe stun move.
What I think needs to be fixed: Nerf the power, bury effect, and meteor smash of her d-b. Not only does this move A) Boost her recovery and B) Require a perfect shield to even THINK about punishing, but it's insane how much damage this move does. If I remembered the link, I'd show a YouTube video of a 5-second kill that was just a shorthop zair and her d-b to kill.
Nerf her u-b. That move has SERIOUS K-O potential, and it's not that bad of a recovery move, either. Coupled with her d-b, and ZSS can come back from nearly anything, and probably meteor smash you if you try and punish it.

4) Yoshi. If you don't know at least one reason he's on this list, either you're a Yoshi main in denial or have had the good fortune to have never run into a FG Yoshi.
What I think needs to be fixed: D-air. If pulled off properly, this is a 0 to 30/40 move, that is impossible to perfect shield due to it's multiple hits, if you DO shield it it will take away roughly 40% of your shield, and, due to it's very low landing lag, is impossible to punish. This is possibly the single most damaging move in the entire game, and it is nonpunishable.
Remove the jump from his u-b. I like the super-armor they gave Yoshi's second jump. It makes him less vulnerable to recovery punishes. However, he did NOT need a recovery move, not to mention one that is a great projectile on its own.
His power in general. Yoshi is a fast character with, as mentioned above, a good projectile. Despite this, Yoshi has the Trifecta of OP when it comes to his moves: Speed, Range, and Power. Yoshi probably wouldn't be on this list if 2 d-airs and an f-smash couldn't kill half the roster.

5) Sonic. There is absolutely no skill to playing sonic. Every single Sonic I've ever met has done this: D-b charge, charge you, jump, n-b, repeat. Projectiles don't do anything since his d-b technically makes his whole body an attack and destroys projectiles, and Homing attack is a strong attack that pretty much does all the work for you, requiring a spotdodge to even hope of punishing.
What I think needs to be fixed: Increase miss/bounce lag of Homing attack, so that dodging grants more time for a punish and shielding it doesn't bounce him 5 miles away.
Decrease the flow of his "d-b hit jump u-air u-b u air" combo, as for lighter characters that means death and heavier characters have a hard time DI'ing out of it.

I would do more, but there are A LOT more, and I already skimmed over some stuff for characters already listed. (Like Mario's d-air have -3 landing lag frames).

Ghidorah14

Smash Ace
Sounds like you're just salty that you havent figured out how to deal these characters. I see that you play bowser, so it makes sense that you'd complain about a bunch of faster characters that can combo you easily.

Instead of just whining about them needing nerfs, try to learn the matchups, and see what you can/cant punish, and what moves you can/cant challenge (ever try upsmashing a ZSS flip kick? so satisfying) .

Unless you're one of those bowsers who lands with downB or dair EVERY CHANCE THEY GET, in which case, there is little hope for you.

DigiboyGaming

Smash Cadet
Sounds like you're just salty that you havent figured out how to deal these characters. I see that you play bowser, so it makes sense that you'd complain about a bunch of faster characters that can combo you easily.

Instead of just whining about them needing nerfs, try to learn the matchups, and see what you can/cant punish, and what moves you can/cant challenge (ever try upsmashing a ZSS flip kick? so satisfying) .

Unless you're one of those bowsers who lands with downB or dair EVERY CHANCE THEY GET, in which case, there is little hope for you.
There's a difference between a bad match-up and someone's move having literally no endlag. (Aka Mario's d-air). That thing is goddamned ridiculous.

Also if you're actually defending Yoshi, read up.

link2702

Smash Champion
The high tiers here in smash 4 are frustrating, but most like Mario you listed, don't need nerfs, and it does sound more like you're whining. In fact the only ones needing any minor nerfs atm are zss, shiek and rosaluma.

Rather then nerf everyone else, the better solution is to buff those who are in desperate need of some. Far more characters need buffs at the moment, then ones who need nerfs.

Poor samus is a perfect example, you think you have it bad cuz you play bowser? Your character was at least originally viewed as op'd. Samus has been considered awful from day one in 4, and yet has been neglected nearly every patch.

Last edited:

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
Untouchable brokeness?

I think you might want to learn the game before you start calling characters like Captain Falcon or Mario broken.

DigiboyGaming

Smash Cadet
Untouchable brokeness?

I think you might want to learn the game before you start calling characters like Captain Falcon or Mario broken.
Yeah because playing since day one, I obviously have absolutely NO idea what I'm talking about.
I obviously am wrong in stating Captain Falcon is insanely powerful with low cool downs, or that Marios d-air is unblockable due to it's multi-hit and low endlag nature.

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
You see this tier list? You see where characters like Captain Falcon, Yoshi, and Mario are placed? Do you know why they're placed where they are? Because people know how to deal with them.

The only character you can actually complain about is ZSS since, even as a ZSS main, she can be pretty ridiculous, but it's still not impossible.

Not to mention, it doesn't matter how long you've been playing, it's how much work you put in. And if you're claiming Captain Falcon is OP, you didn't put in enough work.

DigiboyGaming

Smash Cadet
You see this tier list? You see where characters like Captain Falcon, Yoshi, and Mario are placed? Do you know why they're placed where they are? Because people know how to deal with them.

The only character you can actually complain about is ZSS since, even as a ZSS main, she can be pretty ridiculous, but it's still not impossible.

Not to mention, it doesn't matter how long you've been playing, it's how much work you put in. And if you're claiming Captain Falcon is OP, you didn't put in enough work.
You think my points aren't valid? I gave clear, easily understood points. Don't agree? Tell me why. Don't cry salt because I insulted your precious tier list.

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
You think my points aren't valid? I gave clear, easily understood points. Don't agree? Tell me why. Don't cry salt because I insulted your precious tier list.
I'm posting this in Online, due to most of my hours being FG.
Plus, you play Bowser

If you really want to discuss whether or not a character is "OP" why don't you take it to the Competitive Impressions thread?

I'm sure they'll love the idea of removing cape turns and increasing landing lag.

DigiboyGaming

Smash Cadet

I thought I posted this but apparently not: If you disagree with my clearly labeled reasons as to why said characters are OP, tell me why I'm wrong instead of crying salt because I insulted your tier list.
Oh, and out of all the characters on my personal "Needs major nerfs" list, only one is labled low tier. I have some small changes for characters in low tier (Like Game and Watch's turtle).

Zionaze

Smash Ace
My sides.
Like really the only thing I can say is Git gud lmao. Bowser may struggle but you do have some options to deal with it. Ex: whirling fortress

DigiboyGaming

Smash Cadet
My sides.
Like really the only thing I can say is Git gud lmao. Bowser may struggle but you do have some options to deal with it. Ex: whirling fortress
How to counter whirling fortress: Shield. Punish it's long end lag. You know, the thing all powerful multi-hit moves should have (but don't).

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
I thought I posted this but apparently not: If you disagree with my clearly labeled reasons as to why said characters are OP, tell me why I'm wrong instead of crying salt because I insulted your tier list.
Oh, and out of all the characters on my personal "Needs major nerfs" list, only one is labled low tier. I have some small changes for characters in low tier (Like Game and Watch's turtle).
It's not my tier list, it's the official tier-list. You know, the one created by the Smash 4 Backroom, crafted by pro players.

Ghidorah14

Smash Ace
How to counter whirling fortress: Shield. Punish it's long end lag. You know, the thing all powerful multi-hit moves should have (but don't).
Do the words "upB out of shield" mean nothing to you? Bowser has arguably one of the best upB OOS moves in the game because you technically dont have to drop your shield to do it!

And of course it has long end lag; bowser is a heavy, slow character. Are you seriously complaining that his moves arent as fast as smaller, faster characters? Mario has to hit you like 4-5 times for the damage you can do in 1-2 hits.

If marios dair is such an issue for you, then problem isnt that it has no end lag, but that you keep trying to punish a move you are too slow to be able to punish. You cant punish every single mistake or whiffed move; sometimes shielding and rolling away is just the better option.

FamilyTeam

This strength serves more than me alone.
NNID
MontanaCity
What the hell.
Honestly. Mario is OP because he's fast? Falcon is OP because he can grab? ZSS's Neutral B is safe? Yoshi si OP because his Down Air? Sonic requires no skill?
Watch this. Seriously:

420quickscoper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3952-7274-7735
If these characters were actually overpowered, they would be winning tournaments 24/7. But that isn't happening, is it?

Ghidorah14

Smash Ace
What the hell.
Honestly. Mario is OP because he's fast? Falcon is OP because he can grab? ZSS's Neutral B is safe? Yoshi si OP because his Down Air? Sonic requires no skill?
Watch this. Seriously:
I will say that I like the message he's putting forward - "focus less on complaining and more on improving," But keep in mind that this is the same ZeRo who was salty AF over lucario back-airing him and complained about it on twitter.

I guess it's just a case of "do as I say, not as I do?"

link2702

Smash Champion
Yeah because playing since day one, I obviously have absolutely NO idea what I'm talking about.
I obviously am wrong in stating Captain Falcon is insanely powerful with low cool downs, or that Marios d-air is unblockable due to it's multi-hit and low endlag nature.
Mario's dair can be easily punished by shielding and using whirling fortress immediately after the last hit when Mario lands.

So, you're wrong, his dair is not unpunishable, you're just crying for getting out played

Ghidorah14

Smash Ace
I think it's funny how this person is all like "oh yeah, well, I've been playing since day 1, so obviously I know what I'm talking about!" And yet, how many falcons, yoshis and marios are winning or have won major tournaments? How many top players have come out and said "yeah guys, yoshi is broke AF."

Does this guy think he knows better than top players? That he's the one genius in a sea of idiots for being able to point the "untouchable brokeness" of these characters that has seemingly flown over everyone else's heads?

Tell me Digiboy, how is it that no one else has come to these conclusions before you have? And which is more likely; that you are just not that good at the game, or that you are some sort of unknown smash god who knows this game better than top players?

I eagerly await the day ZeRo comes on twitter and says "pack it up, boys. mario's dair is broke AF. new main incoming."

Last edited:

MacSmitty

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Seeker624
Switch FC
SW 1823 5909 5682
Oh boy. Time to type a long *** paragraph.
What I think needs to be fixed: Landing lag on all moves.
I don't care how, but end the "D-throw u-tiltx3 u-air u-b" 0 to 50 combo. I know you can DI, but that's 30 damage at least, and it can be used at high %.
End cape-turns. This is possibly the easiest, and least deserved, way to kill someone recovering. Reduce the active period for reflecting projectiles.
This last one is so unbelievably BS I don't even know how I'd fix it, but the Fireball. It makes landing super-safe, halts enemy advancement (And unless you're one of the 4 people to have a decent projectile, this is RAGE INDUCING).
You play as Bowser, who's really heavy, the d-throw to u-tilt at 0% will cause Bowser to land on the ground before Mario can u-tilt again, meaning you can shield grab him.
Cape turns are barely used by people unless you recover above the ledge, and in that case, recover below it.
Fireball isn't even the most annoying projectile in this game LMAO you can easily shield it and run up to Mario.
2) Captain Falcon.
Where to even begin with this guy. He has possibly two flaws: Minimal landing options, and no projectile (if that even counts as a flaw). Everything else is absurdly good to the point even a 4 year old is irritating to fight when using him.
What I think needs to be fixed: His complete lack of friction upon grabs. Captain Falcon has the two easiest meteor smashes in the game, his u-tilt and his d-air. Given that he can run-grab you and slide all the way to the edge makes setting these low-percent kills extremely easy.
Nerf the meteor effect of u-tilt. This meteor takes almost no skill or timing to preform, and, coupled with his slide-grab mentioned above, easily leads to 0% Grab-to-death.
Nerf f-smash range. I don't know about you guys, but I'm pretty sure elbows shouldn't outreach swords. Captain Falcons does, as his f-smash easily out-ranges Link's jabs. And probably kills him too because it's also extremely strong.

3) Zero Suit S(p)amus.
Spamus's, Spamus's everywhere. If you're going to give a character a potential 0-to-death combo that's not the easiest to DI out of, do NOT give said character a safe stun move.
What I think needs to be fixed: Nerf the power, bury effect, and meteor smash of her d-b. Not only does this move A) Boost her recovery and B) Require a perfect shield to even THINK about punishing, but it's insane how much damage this move does. If I remembered the link, I'd show a YouTube video of a 5-second kill that was just a shorthop zair and her d-b to kill.
Nerf her u-b. That move has SERIOUS K-O potential, and it's not that bad of a recovery move, either. Coupled with her d-b, and ZSS can come back from nearly anything, and probably meteor smash you if you try and punish it.
OK I can relate with your frustrations when it coes to dealing with these two, but you mentioned that you play as Link. So projectiles and grabs of your own should stop the two.

KirbCider

Smash Ace
This has never been more true.

I've been playing since the original Smash came out on 64 as well, but I'm hardly Tournament level at all. It wasn't until Smash U came out that I actually began improving because I was putting actual effort into doing so. Time means nothing if you don't put forth the effort.

That being said, what was said in your original post is true: A game is never going to be perfectly balanced.

There's going to be characters that have attacks that are very difficult to deal with, and some who just don't do well match-up wise against another. If everyone was on equal footing the game would be kind of boring anyways, right? A lot of these moves aren't as OP as you might think, as there is always a way to get around them depending on which tactics you like to prefer using. Sometimes some tactics just don't work on certain moves or characters. I understand how easy it is to get frustrated at some characters. Believe me.

I still hate Yoshi with a passion, even after I learned how to deal with him a lot better. There's always going to be that one character for someone. Instead of complaining and saying they need nerfs though, a better use of time would be to find out how to deal with them.

You need to be able to adapt to your opponents, and learn if one thing doesn't work then do something else. You have to be willing to do these things rather than shout "That needs to be nerfed!" the moment you can't beat it. It's why I strongly believe there's no way to be "Cheap" in Smash. Your opponent might not be doing something you agree with (spamming, camping, running away, etc) but there's always a way to deal with them. It's severely annoying, but you can beat them with a little bit of thinking and patience.

Some moves are indeed more safe than others, that can't be helped. Either way there's always a work around if you're willing to find it.

Last edited:

FamilyTeam

NNID
MontanaCity
Not to mention, it doesn't matter how long you've been playing, it's how much work you put in.
Yes, this is indeed, very true, like KirbCider KirbCider above me said.
If all the time I spent playing as a casual these 9 years I've been playing this series was spent on training, I'd be good enough to rank at big tournaments easily.
Too bad that's not the case, eh.

Aphistemi

Smash Ace
NNID
MasterOfTheToots
This is why I'm on discord more, and I only go to SB for smash news and info.

Mario broken? you serious? you spent your time writting a wall of text, instead of practicing and getting better? If a MU is hard, use a secondary... or just learn to deal with them and punish according to frame data...

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902

Mario broken? you serious? you spent your time writting a wall of text, instead of practicing and getting better? If a MU is hard, use a secondary... or just learn to deal with them and punish according to frame data...
Any good discords you know of? Help a struggling smasher out

Last edited:

Vic.

Smash Lord
NNID
vicente12202

Sup Aph.

Vic.

Smash Lord
NNID
vicente12202
Last time I checked, Bowser got a new combo throw, up throw in patch 1.1.3, you can do 30% damage from up throw to Nair, and if you connect a up air after that you can get 45%.

Also Bowser is combo food, his big hurtbox and heavy weight will make him get combo's hard, but Bowser is a KO power house and a hard hitter. He kills my main very early because of Bowser's power and my main being lightweight.

:4bowser: is amazing now.

FamilyTeam

NNID
MontanaCity
Last time I checked, Bowser got a new combo throw, up throw in patch 1.1.3, you can do 30% damage from up throw to Nair, and if you connect a up air after that you can get 45%.

Also Bowser is combo food, his big hurtbox and heavy weight will make him get combo's hard, but Bowser is a KO power house and a hard hitter. He kills my main very early because of Bowser's power and my main being lightweight.

I'm sure that was nerfed this patch and that didn't make him amazing to begin with. Better, yes, but not incredible.

link2702

Smash Champion
gotta love how this guy just up and abandoned the place after everyone basically told him that he was just not as good as he thought he was, and to actually learn the match ups

1FC0

Smash Lord
5) Sonic. There is absolutely no skill to playing sonic. Every single Sonic I've ever met has done this: D-b charge, charge you, jump, n-b, repeat. Projectiles don't do anything since his d-b technically makes his whole body an attack and destroys projectiles, and Homing attack is a strong attack that pretty much does all the work for you, requiring a spotdodge to even hope of punishing.
Use R.O.B. his laser always beats Spindash and Gyro often beats it. In addition to that I think that R.O.B.'s Nair can probably beat Homing Attack.

Vic.

Smash Lord
NNID
vicente12202
gotta love how this guy just up and abandoned the place after everyone basically told him that he was just not as good as he thought he was, and to actually learn the match ups
Your basically right.

DigiboyGaming

Smash Cadet

Shame that he's about as slow as the creature he's based on. Which is to say, a turtle.

DigiboyGaming

Smash Cadet
I think it's funny how this person is all like "oh yeah, well, I've been playing since day 1, so obviously I know what I'm talking about!" And yet, how many falcons, yoshis and marios are winning or have won major tournaments? How many top players have come out and said "yeah guys, yoshi is broke AF."

Does this guy think he knows better than top players? That he's the one genius in a sea of idiots for being able to point the "untouchable brokeness" of these characters that has seemingly flown over everyone else's heads?

Tell me Digiboy, how is it that no one else has come to these conclusions before you have? And which is more likely; that you are just not that good at the game, or that you are some sort of unknown smash god who knows this game better than top players?

I eagerly await the day ZeRo comes on twitter and says "pack it up, boys. mario's dair is broke AF. new main incoming."
If you're defending Mario's D-air then I can only come to two conclusions: A) You're a Mario main and you're crying someone pointed out your BS, or B) You've never played against a Mario who understood how broken the move is.

DigiboyGaming

Smash Cadet
Mario's dair can be easily punished by shielding and using whirling fortress immediately after the last hit when Mario lands.

So, you're wrong, his dair is not unpunishable, you're just crying for getting out played
It's pretty nonpunishable if you miss the one frame between his landing and his grab, or if he doesn't land with the d-air the one frame between the end of his d-air and his n-air.

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
If you're defending Mario's D-air then I can only come to two conclusions: A) You're a Mario main and you're crying someone pointed out your BS, or B) You've never played against a Mario who understood how broken the move is.
First, edit your posts. Double posting is frowned upon. It's in the bottom left corner next to report.

Secondly, that's an insanely toxic mindset. You can't honestly believe the only people who don't agree with you either play Mario or never played against one.

DigiboyGaming

Smash Cadet
Do the words "upB out of shield" mean nothing to you? Bowser has arguably one of the best upB OOS moves in the game because you technically dont have to drop your shield to do it!

And of course it has long end lag; bowser is a heavy, slow character. Are you seriously complaining that his moves arent as fast as smaller, faster characters? Mario has to hit you like 4-5 times for the damage you can do in 1-2 hits.

If marios dair is such an issue for you, then problem isnt that it has no end lag, but that you keep trying to punish a move you are too slow to be able to punish. You cant punish every single mistake or whiffed move; sometimes shielding and rolling away is just the better option.
So let me get this straight. You're outright ADMITTING that Mario is unpunisable when against Bowser?

DigiboyGaming

Smash Cadet
You sound like you have already experienced what probably happens then: You get owned by R.O.B. and become a salty loser.
No, I got spammed by insanely good aerials and his cheap ass d-special.

How to R.O.B.: Charge d-special. Use lowhop n-air/b-air. Throw d-special repeatedly. Occasionally use n-special.
If losing, resort to only using d-special and n-special.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom