• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

my personal Assessment and Comparison of Melee Bowser to Brawl Bowser.

Beren Zaiga

Smash Ace
Well, last night I went to one of my Mom's friends house for a birthday party, and these people have Melee, I did interact with them for awhile, but then I decided to go inside and get away from the insects outside, did a drawing of their pet bird Charlie (A pretty **** good one, which i gave to Mom's friend, signed and dated with my name in American and Japanese), then i interacted some more before going down to play Melee on their Gamecube (They also have the old XBox and Xbox 360). As soon as I pick it up, I start playing as Bowser, and noted the obvious differences and similarities between Bowser, and messing up due to being used to C-sticking my attacks in some places, but in general, kicking major buttocks around the stage with him, and getting my tail beaten from time to time.

So decided to put up what i think about Melee Bowser compared to Brawl Bowser. I know this is common sense/knowledge, but I wanted to make what I thought about it.

Melee Bowser

Opening Statement: As we all know, Bowser has been known in Melee as the slowest and most useless character, due to his high risk, laggy attacks, lack of DI for some of his moves, and being the heaviest character, which was his greatest asset when being flung high off the stage. Here is what I found by playing Bowser for a few hours in Melee. P.S. I got to the end of Classic mode with Bowser on Normal without breaking a sweat most of the time, and I was playing like I do in Brawl. I managed to face Master and Crazy Hand for the first time...but then got KO'ed...

Noted Tidbits- Pros & Cons
-While this is common knowledge, Melee Bowser's Dash isn't very fast, but it is still a good option for transport.

-Ftilt, as we all know, has a VERY short range, big lag, but a high amount of power. A good kill move if popped out when not expected.

-Fire Breath isn't maneuverable, and lasts a short time. However, it isn't too bad an approach option either.

-Bowser's best special, I think, is the Koopa Klaw in Melee, and I honestly wish we had that instead of the Flying Slam. If they had kept the original move and just improved it, it would be a valuable asset in Brawl. However, in Melee, the move, while extremely powerful, has a short range like the Ftilt, lowering it's usefulness.

-All of Bowser's other Tilts seem lower in power in Melee, especially the DTilt.

-The Aerial's are more powerful and are very fast, but have a cost of high lag in all instances.

-Whirling Fortress doesn't seem as good in Melee, and actually seems to last a SHORTER amount of time in Melee.

-Bowser is very much LESS floaty after his second jump.

-Jump is still slow, but Bowser can jump pretty darn high for the 'heaviest character.'

My rating: C+

Explanation: Bowser had potential on Melee that was wasted because of people's unwillingness to try and further his game to it's true limits, and I think that despite the depth of Melee, Bowser's game still had a little more room to grow.

Now for the second part of this post.

Brawl Bowser

Opening Statement: In Brawl, Bowser has yet to fully regain his honor, but it may come soon thanks to Sakurai and the team giving him most of the buffs he needed so desperately. He is now a bit faster, still by far the strongest in terms of physical power, and still the heaviest, but he has improved, and he even seems to have gotten his lungs checked out too!

Known Tidbits - Pros & Cons

-Bowser's Fire Breath received a great buff in the form of maneuverability, some character approaches can be countered or stopped with Fire Breath now, and can even be used to bait opponents into jumping over it in order to stage a surprise attack. Fire Breath also lasts longer.

- Ftilt gets buffed with larger range, making it more useful, and giving Bowser a move to be proud of. The ranges of all his other moves have also been improved, while losing a bit of power for some.

- Bowser Bomb is given a novelty buff with the addition of a second hit, but it can still be DI'ed out of.

-Bowser's Dash is a bit faster than in Melee, giving him more ground speed.

-Bowser's jump is still slow, but his aerial game is buffed with extra floatiness and air speed.

- Aerials are somewhat slower, and lack a bit of power, but are still useful for pushing people around.

-Grab Range gets buffed, seeing a nice little ditty to his grab game.

My rating: B+

Explanation: A good round of buffs for Bowser makes him a large improvement over his Melee self, anyone playing against Bowser with a Melee mindset might find themselves in for some PAIN.

That concludes my post. Enjoy your day.

Top Bottom