• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wii U My only real gripe with the game...

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
SSBU is amazing, but the voices (including all character SFX) just aren't up to snuff.

Aside from the fact that every fighter has one (MAYBE two) grunt(s) for getting hit, a grunt which plays again and again, even when hit with relatively weak attacks, the CROWD is just horrendous this time around.

I don't know if this is the speakers on my TV or something, but seriously, it's hard to understand exactly who they're cheering FOR.

I'm loving everything else about the game, but yeah, the voices/character grunts could've used a bit more love, IMO...

maxpower1227

Smash Lord
My only gripe is that beating all of the challenges and events is going to be impossible.

RespawningJesus

So Zetta slow!
NNID
RespawningJesus
3DS FC
1590-5236-9299
Switch FC
SW-5266-0424-0233
SSBU is amazing, but the voices (including all character SFX) just aren't up to snuff.

Aside from the fact that every fighter has one (MAYBE two) grunt(s) for getting hit, a grunt which plays again and again, even when hit with relatively weak attacks, the CROWD is just horrendous this time around.

I don't know if this is the speakers on my TV or something, but seriously, it's hard to understand exactly who they're cheering FOR.

I'm loving everything else about the game, but yeah, the voices/character grunts could've used a bit more love, IMO...
I thought it was just me, but yeah the crowd sucks. I can barely understand them, and I had to jack up the voices. Maybe it is because of my TV speakers?

Mysteltainn

Smash Ace
I thought it was just me, but yeah the crowd sucks. I can barely understand them, and I had to jack up the voices. Maybe it is because of my TV speakers?
Nah, I noticed this too. You can hear who they're cheering for if you really listen, but the way they pronounce the names while cheering seems strange this time around in general.

Trekkerjoe

Smash Journeyman
I kind of preferred the old cheering soundtracks. When I get to hear ROB's cheer I sometime wonder if the audience is cheering for Dedede. I don't have the Wii-U version yet, but from the gameplay I've seen, it hasn't changed.

Last edited:

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
Everything else sounds perfect on my speakers so I'm guessing it's not either of our audio equipment.

I miss the uniqueness of the cheers, too, like how Ganondorf's sounded like a Gregorian chant of some kind...

Trekkerjoe

Smash Journeyman
Everything else sounds perfect on my speakers so I'm guessing it's not either of our audio equipment.

I miss the uniqueness of the cheers, too, like how Ganondorf's sounded like a Gregorian chant of some kind...
Same here. You can't even distinguish the voices in this version. Although, the DK one was pretty cool.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
Same here. You can't even distinguish the voices in this version. Although, the DK one was pretty cool.
Yeah, the DK one is pretty much the only one I can understand clearly.

As it stands, if I hear a cheer, I look to see who's over 100% and deduce from there who they were cheering for.

LordVacation

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SpaceVacation
The crowd is definitely atrocious, idk what it is but they just sound like constant repetitive metallic noise.

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
The crowd does sound weird, as does one of Pit's being hurt noises where he says "Guh-HAH!" It makes him sound happy to be getting launched. Pit you aren't Sandbag don't be a poser

PCHU

Smash Lord
The SFX overall are subpar.
64's were cool and fun because it made every hit sound important, and Melee fit the best in terms of appropriate impact.
Brawl's were more refined and fit very well in my opinion, even if some attacks didn't have much impact.
Smash 4's are all over the place; some of them (Ike's/Dedede's) just sound weird and exceptionally weak, and the "heavy electric attack" sound is just stupid.
They also took out Wario's sound effects when he does his nair.

In general, it sounds less like Smash and more like Wacky Slapfest.
The sounds aren't totally off, but I'm more disappointed with this than I was with Brawl.
The soundtrack is freaking awesome, though.

Seannu

Smash Rookie
NNID
ixSheng
Marth and Lucina's up b is sooooo annoying -.- I wish I could just remove the sound of that one ability when they're in the game.. I agree with all the above as well.

Turrin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Turrin
3DS FC
4425-1919-5126
Wario literally says the same thing every time he gets hit. I was laughing my head off at one point edge-guarding a Wario in a doubles match: "No!" .... "No!" ...."NO!"

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
The SFX overall are subpar.
64's were cool and fun because it made every hit sound important, and Melee fit the best in terms of appropriate impact.
Brawl's were more refined and fit very well in my opinion, even if some attacks didn't have much impact.
Smash 4's are all over the place; some of them (Ike's/Dedede's) just sound weird and exceptionally weak, and the "heavy electric attack" sound is just stupid.
They also took out Wario's sound effects when he does his nair.

In general, it sounds less like Smash and more like Wacky Slapfest.
The sounds aren't totally off, but I'm more disappointed with this than I was with Brawl.
The soundtrack is freaking awesome, though.
I almost forgot about the "electric" SFX, which sounds more akin to someone holding a vibrating cellphone against the side of a washing machine than someone being electrocuted.

Narth

Plox
NNID
nathanrinkster
3DS FC
1736-2381-3285
You guys don't like it? I think SFX-wise is the best in the series. Moves feel more satisfying because the sound is more jacked-up.

Also, I can clearly distinguish a spike with the sound of it, in past games I never knew.

Last edited:

Zol

Smash Apprentice
i like the impact sound effects

as for voices, some of the characters need their vocal cords torn out

Etc_Guy

Smash Ace
Warning Received
They gave Wario a new grunt even though he has his brawl voice. You can barely hear DeDeDe and Kamek and the crowd is one of the worst with Melee.

Can you please not be a douchbag about everything?

The crowd does sound weird, as does one of Pit's being hurt noises where he says "Guh-HAH!" It makes him sound happy to be getting launched. Pit you aren't Sandbag don't be a poser
I don't think this is a game for gamers I think this a game for posers!

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
You guys don't like it? I think SFX-wise is the best in the series. Moves feel more satisfying because the sound is more jacked-up.

Also, I can clearly distinguish a spike with the sound of it, in past games I never knew.
Some of the SFX are decent while others are just...weird, like the aforementioned electrocution noise, many of D3's sounds, the crowd, the same "I got hit" SFX being used over and over and over, etc.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280

The impacts are generally okay. It's just a few odd choices like we mentioned.

But the crowd vocals are just abysmal. I just heard them chant for what I believe was suppose to be "Ness" but it sounded more like "Nsssh, Nsssh, Nsssh!" They could've been chanting to "nosh" for all I know...

I just realized, they must've had the crowd read the names like this:

"Nerss!" "Derk Hurnt!" "Sermers!" "Cerptan Fercan!"

Last edited:

Zol

Smash Apprentice
The impacts are generally okay. It's just a few odd choices like we mentioned.

But the crowd vocals are just abysmal. I just heard them chant for what I believe was suppose to be "Ness" but it sounded more like "Nsssh, Nsssh, Nsssh!" They could've been chanting to "nosh" for all I know...
yeah, the impact sounds are alright, i like them
i think some of the character exclusive sounds are cool as **** though, e.g the explosion sound from CF's punch, Samus' laser sound effects and Lucario's aura sphere when he's at high damage

some of the playable character voices are just annoying as all hell though

and the chanting is weird as hell too, idk whats up with it. it's really quiet so you can barely hear them, and even if you can, they pronounce just about everyone's names weird. i've only heard them chant for Lucario so far, and what they're chanting sounds nothing like "Lu-Car-Rio"

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
and the chanting is weird as hell too, idk whats up with it. it's really quiet so you can barely hear them, and even if you can, they pronounce just about everyone's names weird. i've only heard them chant for Lucario so far, and what they're chanting sounds nothing like "Lu-Car-Rio"
Yeah, it sounds like the crowd is shouting from the end of a long metal tube or something...

Zol

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, it sounds like the crowd is shouting from the end of a long metal tube or something...
sure as hell hope this ain't due to bad voice recording

if i go to sound test right now and play the crowd chants i'm prolly gonna hear something i wish i hadn't

Etc_Guy

Smash Ace
Warning Received
yea, having an opinion = being a douchebag now

go home kim jong un, those nukes aint gonna launch themselves
Who the **** are you?! HITLER?! This is literally what i mean by douchbag about everything. Not one of your post are nice by the slightest!

Oh, and nice trying being racist to asians to a american.

Last edited by a moderator:

Zol

Smash Apprentice
Warning Received
Who the F**** are you?! HITLER?! This is literally what i mean by douchbag about everything. Not one of your post are nice by the slightest!

kid you are 14.
why do i care what some whiny middle schooler thinks of things i say on the internet LOL
get off mom's computer, stop attention seekin' and go do your homework, i know you dont wanna fail the 7th grade little man

PS.
cut that **** out right now, i'm pretty sure OP don't want his/her thread closed cuz some dumb kid decided they felt like arguing on a video game forum

Last edited:

Etc_Guy

Smash Ace
kid you are 14.
why do i care what some whiny middle schooler thinks of things i say on the internet LOL
get off mom's computer, stop attention seekin' and go do your homework, i know you dont wanna fail the 7th grade little man
Sorry tons of fun, I watch the Daily Show and Colbert Report so I know how to counter Nazi logic. You know nothing about my life so why make assumptions that are wrong? :confused:

Zol

Smash Apprentice
Sorry tons of fun, I watch the Daily Show and Colbert Report so I know how to counter Nazi logic. You know nothing about my life so why make assumptions that are wrong? :confused:
shut up

right now

ok?

you're just diggin your hole deeper

Last edited:

allison

She who makes bad posts
NNID
crazyal02
3DS FC
0216-1055-4584
Both of you are silly. Anyways the sound effects are pretty hit or miss, which surprised me given how much more satisfying the effects are visually. Meanwhile, all of the crowd chants suck except for DK's.

Last edited:

smashbroskilla

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5086-2745-2582
My gripe is that you can't team up with friends and play for glory with certain stage settings. I had a blast playing 2v2 for glory last night because my friend happened to be at my house. we live about 25 minutes away so why Nintendo limits what you can do online is beyond me. Like who really cares man let people set stage settings, stocks, items etc. Let people create a lobby and enter their own settings.

Terrazi Terrajin

Smash Ace
Who the F**** are you?! HITLER?! This is literally what i mean by douchbag about everything. Not one of your post are nice by the slightest!

I cringed harder than I should have when I saw that gif.

Are you stalking that guy's posts? He's contributed plenty, so in the case that you are stalking him, you're doing pretty bad at it.

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
The crowd was one of my favorite things in Brawl; each chant had something unique, like Luigi only having a couple guys cheering and kids cheering for the Pikmin while adults cheered for Olimar. But now they all sound like the same metallic voice with only DK's standing out in any way.

And as for the character voices, it's a very mixed bag. Most are okay, but Dedede sounds like he's got strep throat, Falco sounds more like a stereotypical suave anime guy then the Brooklyn-esch wisecracker we know and love, Ganondorf randomly has new voice clips mixed in with the old ones and they don't blend at all, and the less I say about Fox, the better.

Though admittedly I always get a laugh when he goes bouncing around like a pinball. "D'ow! D'ow D'ow!"

Last edited:

Wyntir

Dark Child - 3DS tag online
NNID
Wyntir
3DS FC
4914-5115-4401
The only 2 things that I don't like r
1. Wolf - worst cut decision ever!!
2. Lack of NEW stages, too many old ones. Should be at least 55 stages

Tenchi Boom

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TenchiBoom
They were very lazy with the voices this time around. Most of them are just reused from Brawl. Some definitely need changing such as Ike's to match his buffier appearance.

Hearing Ness's screams over and over gripe on me.

Last edited:

Koggy

Yoshi Adept
I agree on the point of the crowd cheering. So many arguments are had when playing with friends when the cheering starts.
"Oh yeah, the crowd loves me"
"You literally just got KO'd."

Also the voices that are re-used are pretty lame, although I'll never get tired of Yoshi's getting-hit sounds. I may be getting destroyed, but at least I'm adorable.

Josh5890

Smash Rookie
My only gripe is that beating all of the challenges and events is going to be impossible.
It's definitely going to take me a while to do this. I'm fine with that though. It will be a long term project for me. By that I mean a few years here and there.

Top Bottom