• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

My negatives with Sonic...

test-object

Smash Cadet
I'm sorry to say, but I'm mad on Sakurai. Sonic is fast, but Sakurai shouldvn't rushed the decisions made. Sonic is used and abused as merely a propaganda stunt. The developers are rubbing salt in SEGAs wounds to show them who's boss, which makes me sad. Here I have placed all my problems with Sonic in Brawl.

-Adventure Mode. Seriously, he pops out of nowhere. Snake is third party, he's got a great storyline! Now, I do not (want) to know too much about SE, since I want to find out myself, but the only videoclip I found of Sonic in SSE is a clip of
Sonic fighting "Taboo".
I know you can unlock Sonic by
fighting on his side
, but if that's the only clip involving Sonic, he's not fighting with any other character! That. Is. Aweful.

-Assist Trophy. Shadow. Do I need to say any more? I mean, LOOK AT HIM! Oldschool, kickass Tails? Background. Strong, Floating Knuckles? Background. Shadow the thoughtless, emo, highly unpopular (in my eyes, at least) look-a-like? Assist Trophy. I wonder why Silver even IS in Brawl...

-Stage. Now, I like the Green Hill Zone, (even if I already got used to the idea of Angel Island)... No wait, Green Hill f***ing ROCKS. But what is up with the STAGE HAZARD?
Collapsing Floor? Hasn't got Green Hill have ANYTHING else to offer, like, I dunno... spikes? Springs? A maniac with a wrecking ball? (No, Robotnik is not in SE, forget it...) Now, I can live with this level, since it's classic, so this one DEFINETLY isn't the worst problem.

-Item. What Item?

Overall, Sonic the Hedgehog seems rushed. I'm not doubting Sakurai or Brawl, but unconsiously, he made me sad.
To stop my rant with a positive note, I LOVE the speed of Sonic! He runs as fast as the cars in the F-Zero stage, which is.... IMMENSE! Kudos for that, Sakurai! Kudos, indeed...

Please, if you leave a note, let it make sense and don't make arguments such as: "You should be happy that Sonic even MADE it in Brawl!" If Sakurai didn't do that, fewer people would've bought the game.

Dragonbreath

Smash Ace
Pikmin got even less representation than Sonic, but you don't see the Olimar fan club complaining overtly about that. Do we have an item from F-Zero? How about Snake?

Yes, Sonic does have less representation as compared to, say, Kirby. But Brawl is a nintendo frnachise, about nintendo characters. Guest stars aren't supposed to take up the spotlight.

As for SSE...What were you expecting?

"Sonic! Dr. Eggman stole the Chaos Emeralds!"

"Okay, Mario! Just let me finish retaking the Halberd, and I'll get right on it! ...There you go, Metaknight!"

"My hero!"

If you're going to respond in detail about SSE,
please use tags, as I am trying to dodge spoilers. And Sonic the Deus Ex Machina is more win than BOTH of Captain Falcon's knees.

Sajun88

Smash Apprentice
To the OP, you didn't state any problems with Sonic's fighting style or moveset, which I think is the most important thing seeing as how Brawl is first and foremost a 4 player fighting game.

The other stuff is nothing really, I'm mad that Luigi's awesome looking Final Smash is just called ... "Negative Zone"... but I'm not gonna complain about him or stop playing him because of it.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
I'm sorry to say, but I'm mad on Sakurai. Sonic is fast, but Sakurai shouldvn't rushed the decisions made. Sonic is used and abused as merely a propaganda stunt. The developers are rubbing salt in SEGAs wounds to show them who's boss, which makes me sad. Here I have placed all my problems with Sonic in Brawl.
You keep saying he "rushed" Sonic. Is there proof of this? The game took over 3 years to make, and Sonic was announced months before it went gold. They had plenty of time to perfect him. I'm not trying to bash your argument, but you need to find better ways to word it so you don't sound like an angry fanboy.

-Adventure Mode. Seriously, he pops out of nowhere. Snake is third party, he's got a great storyline! Now, I do not (want) to know too much about SE, since I want to find out myself, but the only videoclip I found of Sonic in SSE is a clip of
Sonic fighting "Taboo".
I know you can unlock Sonic by
fighting on his side
, but if that's the only clip involving Sonic, he's not fighting with any other character! That. Is. Aweful.
Hideo Kojima (creator or Metal Gear and Solid Snake) and Sakurai are good friends. This is why Snake got in in the first place. So, from the start, Snake was probably meant to be in the main storyline of SSE. However, Sonic was put in because of his popularity, not because Sakurai is good friends with Yuji Naka. This probably means that Sonic was added to the list later due to copyright negotiations and such, and thus had to be squeezed into the probably already well in development SSE plotline and cutscenes. Rather than change parts of the story up, they added him to the end, making him one of the last unlockable characters, which makes him a top priority, and actually gives him a bit of a hero sense to him. It kind of fits his personality- he just goes where he pleases, living carefree, then sees someone in trouble and comes in to save the day with that trademark smirk and wagging finger. Personally, I like the dramatic, out of nowhere entrance.

-Assist Trophy. Shadow. Do I need to say any more? I mean, LOOK AT HIM! Oldschool, kickass Tails? Background. Strong, Floating Knuckles? Background. Shadow the thoughtless, emo, highly unpopular (in my eyes, at least) look-a-like? Assist Trophy. I wonder why Silver even IS in Brawl...
Agreed, BUT there are a couple factors here you failed to look at:

1) This was most likely determined by Sega's representatives, not Sakurai. I doubt Sega gave Nintendo the copyright to Sonic and said, "Here you go, do what you want!" That's why Silver got put in the background; they want to market him to make him a popular new character, since his appearance was in Sonic the Hedgehog, a game that didn't come out on the Wii. He was also in the minigame portion of Secret Rings and I think he'll be in the next Sonic Rivals, so it's obvious they're marketing him until he's popular. I still don't like him.

2) Despite what you personally think, Shadow is actually quite popular, moreso than Tails or Knuckles, I think. I love Knuckles, and I'm still pissed he got left out of Sega Superstars Tennis, but Brawl is a popularity contest (i.e. Wolf- Fox clone- getting in over Krystal- new moveset). Sega decided that Shadow was more popular than Tails, Knuckles, etc. and put him in. Also, Shadow's potential with Chaos Control actually does make him an interesting AT. Tails would probably use Tornado 2 and just shoot opposing characters, and Knuckles would just be another Little Mac. Shadow is more creative.

-Stage. Now, I like the Green Hill Zone, (even if I already got used to the idea of Angel Island)... No wait, Green Hill f***ing ROCKS. But what is up with the STAGE HAZARD?
Collapsing Floor? Hasn't got Green Hill have ANYTHING else to offer, like, I dunno... spikes? Springs? A maniac with a wrecking ball? (No, Robotnik is not in SE, forget it...) Now, I can live with this level, since it's classic, so this one DEFINETLY isn't the worst problem.
The collapsing floor happened a lot in Sonic games, and they even gave it the classic sound. I thought it was perfect, and just subtle enough that it won't get annoying and keep people from playing it often (i.e. spikes, maniac with a wrecking ball) Maybe springs would have been cool, but Sonic's already got one himself.

-Item. What Item?
You seem to forget it's Nintendo's game, they don't have to give Sega diddly squat. Though there is some potential, remember that this is a NINTENDO game. Sonic's in for the fans, but they don't need to go overboard. An AT is more than I expected, honestly.

Overall, Sonic the Hedgehog seems rushed. I'm not doubting Sakurai or Brawl, but unconsiously, he made me sad.
To stop my rant with a positive note, I LOVE the speed of Sonic! He runs as fast as the cars in the F-Zero stage, which is.... IMMENSE! Kudos for that, Sakurai! Kudos, indeed...

Please, if you leave a note, let it make sense and don't make arguments such as: "You should be happy that Sonic even MADE it in Brawl!" If Sakurai didn't do that, fewer people would've bought the game.
Good to see you've got your head about you lol The fact that Sonic is in the game makes me happy enough, and I love Green Hill Zone. But to expect Nintendo to put in more Sonic themed items and such is going a little overboard. After all, look at the roster:

1 Sega
1 Konami
33 Nintendo

Snake got an AT and a level, so did Sonic. The fact that Snake is in SSE before Sonic and has more than one cutscene is the only difference. But look at it this way: Snake's introduced cowering like a child in a box; Sonic's introduced saving the day and beating up the final boss. I don't know about you, but I prefer Sonic's.

RedrappeR

Smash Journeyman
"HEY GUYS! I'M STILL REALLY ANGRY ABOUT THE ROSTER! LET ME MAKE A BUNCH OF POSTS SAYING PEOPLE RUSHED THE GAME!"

"HEY GUYS! I'M PISSED ABOUT A CERTAIN CHARACTERS ROLE IN SSE! THE GAME WAS RUSHED BECAUSE OF IT!"

"HEY GUYS! NO WAVEDASHING! RUSHED!"

"HEY GUYS! NO ONE GETS THE WHOLE IRONIC THING WITH A SEGA CHARACTER SAVING ALL OF THE NINTENDO CHARACTERS, AND IF THEY'RE STILL PISSED, IT'S BECAUSE THEY THOUGHT SONIC WOULD HAVE THIS LONG EPIC SCENE AND WON'T GET OVER IT! SO RUSHED!"

"HEY GUYS! PEOPLE ALSO DON'T REALIZE THAT MOST OF THE CAST WAS FINALIZED BEFORE THE DOJO EVEN CAME UP! AND THAT'S IT'S STUPID TO THINK THAT SOMEONE WOULD JUST PLACE AN ARBITRARY CHARACTER IN THE LAST SCENE BECAUSE THEY HAD NO WHERE ELSE TO PUT HIM! BUT YOU KNOW WHAT, **** IT! RUSHED!"

"HEY GUYS, NO SERIOUSLY... GUYS... I'M TYPING IN CAPS LOCK... LISTEN TO ME."

Now not ALL of these apply to you OP... but come on man. It's just getting annoying with people complaining about SSE. I'm a ****ing huge Sonic fan and when I found out about that whole ending scene, I smiled. I mean...
It's great! The whole time i was going "Where's Sonic" "Where's Sonic?" "Oh wait... he's not in SSE is he.." "**** it Sakurai..." And then he comes in at the end when TABOO is about to unleash his "wing trophy epic looking" attack or whatever, and owns some face, making it possible for the other characters to defeat him. It's one of those "We're going to make Sonic look cool, by having him come in the end and own this guy." It doesn't make SENSE, ANY SENSE at all why they would go "well crap, we have to rush Sonic... HEY! LETS SPEND MORE MONEY AND RENDER HIM INTO A BIG CG SEQUENCE WHERE HE OWNS TABOO!". If anything, they would have pulled what they did with Wolf, Toon link, and Purin. Regardless of Fan appreciation, if he was really that much of a rushed job, they would have just stuck him in there at the end. The storyline was also finalized a while before SSE was revealed. Just saying... think of it as a positive rather than a negative.

And I do agree with you on the Shadow AT to an extent. But then again, lets remember... when SA2 came out for the Dreamcast, he wasn't a bad character. People saw him as so/so at that point, while a lot of people took to him well. Then they gave him a gun. Then things became ****ed up. Then they went and turned "I'm a Dark and perturbed Vegeta-like stock character" too... "I'm angsty and dark... and I use guns, which is COMPLETELY illogical being that i'm the speed of ****ING SOUND."

Otherwise I'm fine with it. If Shadow came out packing heat, I'd be angry. Tails and Knuckles I admit would have been a bit cooler, but I'll settle for Shadow. It seems more as if Sakurai's trying to pull back Sonic to his DC days rather than his "I'm going to port two excellent games to the gamecube but not change the control scheme so it's a pain in the *** since Sega's analog controls are far different from Nintendo's, and then reuse the same control engine for 3 different next gen titles, the first of which completely takes away ALL the attitude and personality sonic had in his previous dreamcast adventures, and the last of which is a soul crushing blow to every sonic fans state of being."

I'm pleased with his appearance. Especially since their making the Sonic Mario thing look MUCH more appropriately epic than any stupid Olympic games waggle fest.

shadowboy

Smash Rookie
I would like to point out the fact that sonic has the best songs EVAR (opinion) in the soundtrack, which sort of makes up for green hill being phail (although the more I play it the more I like it...)
As for AT, I think shadow works perfectly, as he is the most popular of the 3 other appearing sonic chars. (He got his own game more recently than anyone else.)
green hill zone
angel island
scrap brain
emerald hill
right here right now
sonic boom *
super sonic racing *
open your heart
live and learn
sonic heroes *
his world
seven rings in hand
the ones with * are my faves :p
As you can see, these songs are teh awesome. No rushing there.

Altho I do agree that angel island would have been a more fun stage than green hill.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
I would like to point out the fact that sonic has the best songs EVAR (opinion) in the soundtrack, which sort of makes up for green hill being phail (although the more I play it the more I like it...)
As for AT, I think shadow works perfectly, as he is the most popular of the 3 other appearing sonic chars. (He got his own game more recently than anyone else.)
green hill zone
angel island
scrap brain
emerald hill
right here right now
sonic boom *
super sonic racing *
open your heart
live and learn
sonic heroes *
his world
seven rings in hand
the ones with * are my faves :p
As you can see, these songs are teh awesome. No rushing there.

Altho I do agree that angel island would have been a more fun stage than green hill.
...how are song listings a spoiler?

Anyway, I love the track listing as well; the fact that they gave Crush 40 some love made me happy. I really didn't think they would.

That being said, I kind of hoped that the His World song would be the more epic and completely orchestrated instrumental, but the guitar solo version isn't bad. Over all, I'm very, VERY pleased with Sonic's music, and I'm sure it'll be in almost all of my built stages.

LuCKy

Smash Master
.........................................i dont even wanna post something longer than this in here lol

Lunar6

Smash Journeyman
I'm sorry, but what you call an explanation for a rushed character is what I call a rant masked by fancy listing of petty complaints. Short SSE screen time or not, he still made his place in the story in a pretty prominent with his entrance alone. And you can B&M about Shadow all you want (you don't know angsty emos until you know Cloud Strife. Shadow isn't half as bad as that, and this is coming from a once-Cloud fanboy), but your views on him don't do a **** thing to change the fact that he is, by offical standards, the second most popular Sonic character in the Sonic series (even though my personal favorite is Knuckles). Just be happy he's actually using a Chaos Power instead of any gun-totting for his AT function.

And Green Hill Zone isn't a small problem, much less is it one at all. In case you're blind to the past, one of the GHZ's main hazards in the original game was collapsing ground (with the exact same sound effect). Also, you should take note of the checkpoint stands being pretty interactive; hit themhard, and they'll spin fast, knocking any character around some. Green Hill Zone is by chance one of the biggest piece of nostalgia in SSBB thus far.

shadowboy

Smash Rookie
...how are song listings a spoiler?

Anyway, I love the track listing as well; the fact that they gave Crush 40 some love made me happy. I really didn't think they would.

That being said, I kind of hoped that the His World song would be the more epic and completely orchestrated instrumental, but the guitar solo version isn't bad. Over all, I'm very, VERY pleased with Sonic's music, and I'm sure it'll be in almost all of my built stages.
Some songs are unlockables, and... I dunno, someone may get POed knowing that *insert song* is in the game before unlocking it.

Honestly though, to OP, the only real big disappointment besides green hill not being a scrolling stage is sonic's >B and VB, which are too similar.

SonicOfDarkness

Smash Apprentice
suffern new york yo no items no ****y stages i
alright stop this now bez its not geting anywhere for thoses who have played the game good for you!!!! but the people like me and others who havent stop trying to make game or sonic look bad plz your not helping i just want to play the game chill and yeah i will be playing as sonic and ill do my best to master him and mess up thoses who talk about how bad the game is as well so chill out close this thread have a nice day:):chuckle::embarrass

R.Y.N.O

Smash Journeyman
You keep saying he "rushed" Sonic. Is there proof of this? The game took over 3 years to make, and Sonic was announced months before it went gold. They had plenty of time to perfect him. I'm not trying to bash your argument, but you need to find better ways to word it so you don't sound like an angry fanboy.

Hideo Kojima (creator or Metal Gear and Solid Snake) and Sakurai are good friends. This is why Snake got in in the first place. So, from the start, Snake was probably meant to be in the main storyline of SSE. However, Sonic was put in because of his popularity, not because Sakurai is good friends with Yuji Naka. This probably means that Sonic was added to the list later due to copyright negotiations and such, and thus had to be squeezed into the probably already well in development SSE plotline and cutscenes. Rather than change parts of the story up, they added him to the end, making him one of the last unlockable characters, which makes him a top priority, and actually gives him a bit of a hero sense to him. It kind of fits his personality- he just goes where he pleases, living carefree, then sees someone in trouble and comes in to save the day with that trademark smirk and wagging finger. Personally, I like the dramatic, out of nowhere entrance.

1) This was most likely determined by Sega's representatives, not Sakurai. I doubt Sega gave Nintendo the copyright to Sonic and said, "Here you go, do what you want!" That's why Silver got put in the background; they want to market him to make him a popular new character, since his appearance was in Sonic the Hedgehog, a game that didn't come out on the Wii. He was also in the minigame portion of Secret Rings and I think he'll be in the next Sonic Rivals, so it's obvious they're marketing him until he's popular. I still don't like him.

2) Despite what you personally think, Shadow is actually quite popular, moreso than Tails or Knuckles, I think. I love Knuckles, and I'm still pissed he got left out of Sega Superstars Tennis, but Brawl is a popularity contest (i.e. Wolf- Fox clone- getting in over Krystal- new moveset). Sega decided that Shadow was more popular than Tails, Knuckles, etc. and put him in. Also, Shadow's potential with Chaos Control actually does make him an interesting AT. Tails would probably use Tornado 2 and just shoot opposing characters, and Knuckles would just be another Little Mac. Shadow is more creative.

The collapsing floor happened a lot in Sonic games, and they even gave it the classic sound. I thought it was perfect, and just subtle enough that it won't get annoying and keep people from playing it often (i.e. spikes, maniac with a wrecking ball) Maybe springs would have been cool, but Sonic's already got one himself.

You seem to forget it's Nintendo's game, they don't have to give Sega diddly squat. Though there is some potential, remember that this is a NINTENDO game. Sonic's in for the fans, but they don't need to go overboard. An AT is more than I expected, honestly.

Good to see you've got your head about you lol The fact that Sonic is in the game makes me happy enough, and I love Green Hill Zone. But to expect Nintendo to put in more Sonic themed items and such is going a little overboard. After all, look at the roster:

1 Sega
1 Konami
33 Nintendo

Snake got an AT and a level, so did Sonic. The fact that Snake is in SSE before Sonic and has more than one cutscene is the only difference. But look at it this way: Snake's introduced cowering like a child in a box; Sonic's introduced saving the day and beating up the final boss. I don't know about you, but I prefer Sonic's.
Well said grey. I agree, except for the part about Wolf being a fox clone. Although they should have put Krystal in. We need more females and her move set would have been more unique. Anyway, I have not seen any of the SSE vids featuring Sonic. I do however know that Sonic got a big enough role in SSBB. Snake does not have items. Why should Sonic. Sonic is cool and all but there is enough of him in there already. Besides, he has like one of the best song lists in the game.

R.Y.N.O

Smash Journeyman

1 Sega
1 Konami
33 Nintendo

Well said grey. I agree, except for the part about Wolf being a fox clone. Although they should have put Krystal in. We need more females and her move set would have been more unique. Anyway, I have not seen any of the SSE vids featuring Sonic. I do however know that Sonic got a big enough role in SSBB. Snake does not have items. Why should Sonic. Sonic is cool and all but there is enough of him in there already. Besides, he has like one of the best song lists in the game.

Norm

Smash Lord
NNID
Sheldon86
Well from what i can tell Shadow is majorly popular i'll agree stage wasn't that great i didn't read the SSE bit as i dont want to know anytihng about it i want to play through it myself but also from the GDC we found out that Sonic was added last minute so it makes sense why he's got not that much in it.

Chrisgopher

Smash Cadet

I think you're being a little hard on the old Blue Blur, buddy. I agree though that I would have rather seen Tails or Knuckles as an assist trophy over Shadow. You've got to consider old-school first in my opinion. Other than that, a lot of the classic sound effects and charm seem to be with Sonic here, so I see little problem with his involvement with the game. Even though the game is not released in America yet, from what I've seen they did a good job putting him in.

Your signature makes me laugh though. Don't forget that Yoshis eat EVERYTHING.

Lyoncet

Smash Apprentice
While I thought that Tails or Knuckles would have kept with the retro feel better, I was willing to accept the Shadow assist trophy, since I know he's got a big following. However, when I found out that his effect is exactly the same as the stopwatch item, I entirely changed my opinion. Quite disappointing. They could have done better than that IMO.

For instance, what about a Tails AT that picks the player up and brings them back to the stage if they get thrown off? Unique and faithful to the series at the same time.

MIRAI87

Smash Journeyman
We should be glad Sonic's even in the game.
Honestly, there is truth to this. While I'm not advocating blind fanboyism that accepts anything that is given to us and hands the excuse, 'That's all we deserved!' we only got Sonic because we begged, pleaded, and groveled for his entry. There are people who would've licked Sakurai's muddy boot to see this guy fight Mario.

As stated by Sakurai, the roster was FINALIZED in 2006. It was entirely complete, but they were (see above) begged to include him by legions of fans. He was the most requested newcomer character in the game, and while many of our favorite characters weren't included, we got Sonic, a third party bombshell that probably took an a$$ton of work to get the rights to use. Having to include him AFTER the roster was finalized not only meant he'd have to work on Sonic as a character, but then REBALANCING EVERY SINGLE CHARACTER to meet the strengths and weaknesses of the newcomer. And this is AFTER they negotiated rights, which was probably a pretty insane amount of paperwork and talks with expensive entertainment lawyers. That's a lot of time and money I don't know if I'd be willing to drop. But he and his staff did it, and it was done entirely for us.

So yeah, in a way he was 'rushed' and that probably explains his late arrival in the SSE...but having Sonic come out of nowhere and pour some ownsauce all over
the final boss at the last possible moment
makes me smile.

In conclusion: Sonic wasn't included because he was planned to be there in the first place. He was given to us because many of us shared our childhoods with the hedgehog and grew up loving his games, and had what seemed like impossible dreams of pitting him against Mario. As soon as people saw Snake, people like me immediately began to see possibilities, and clamored for Sonic. Sonic was total and complete fan service. I'm eternally thankful.

On a side note: I'm too lazy to find 'em, but pretend I quoted the people who mentioned the uniqueness of Shadow's AT (including their logic of him over knuckles/tails and sega negotiations) and the fact that Sonic has by far the most awesome soundtrack out of all the characters.

I'm content with the Sonic content. :p

Lyoncet

Smash Apprentice
On a side note: I'm too lazy to find 'em, but pretend I quoted the people who mentioned the uniqueness of Shadow's AT (including their logic of him over knuckles/tails and sega negotiations) and the fact that Sonic has by far the most awesome soundtrack out of all the characters.
Hmm, I had heard that Shadow was exactly a stopwatch in AT form, but that could be wrong.

Definitely agree with you on the soundtrack part though! Scrapbrain ftw! (Could have used Flying Battery though...)

MIRAI87

Smash Journeyman
Hmm, I had heard that Shadow was exactly a stopwatch in AT form, but that could be wrong.

Definitely agree with you on the soundtrack part though! Scrapbrain ftw! (Could have used Flying Battery though...)
Still, he's the only assist trophy that has that action. Also, I do think he should've had a samurai sword and attacked the enemy...and then his finishing move could've been a landmaster.

Also, if Tails were a life saving AT then there'd be a way to survive marth's FS, and we all know as a rule that marth has to be completely broken.

Top Bottom