• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

My Music: All we hoped for or a hollow dream?

The Director

Smash Lord
I was listening to SMYN last night, and something that Youko and Panda said startled me. When talking about the My Music feature, they brought to my attention something I didn't think of: we might not be able to put any music we want on any stage!

Although I think this is unlikely, take a look at these screenshots from the Dojo:

Notice anything about the above screenshots? This could only be for the simple fact of demonstration, but the only songs available to place on the select stages are from their corresponding franchises. Could it be possible that we're only limited to this? When you take a closer look at these screenshots, you notice that there are no options to choose what songs you put in there, they're already loaded in.

Take a look at Pictochat, too:

This stage features various Nintendo music, but notice the scroll on the right-hand side. I guess you could scroll through all your music?

It would be a major bummer and a dent in the My Music feature to limit us to said franchises. Although I don't think this is the case, this is only speculation and we'll probably have all the freedom we want. After all, Sakurai said this:

With the "My Music" feature, you can enjoy the music of our many musicians any way you like. Choose freely from our diverse selection of famous songs!

I could've solved this mystery with the above quote, but since we're still in a drought of news it's good to discuss something new and keep worrying. :p

iMichael

Smash Lord
Good find right there.....Maybe we are only limited to songs of their franchise.

Superninjabreadman

Smash Lord
Well... Sakurai has -evereything- unlocked... so he obviously has all the music selections.. IDK how many music selections we're getting per franchise. but my guess is you can use any music from any franchise, on any of that franchise's stages. Being able to choose anything for any stage is cooler though...

My guess is we're starting out with 1 or 2 for each franchise/stage.

Darkurai

Smash Master
You probably will be able to put any song you want on any stage, but you probably have to unlock it, and it's probably the last thing you unlock. Like Sound Test in Melee.

gigasteve

Smash Ace
While it's certainly possible, I have to wonder how this is explained then:

http://www.smashbros.com/en_us/music/music16.html

It's clearly been stated that there will be songs in the game from series that have NO stages.

Where then does music like this get played?
Icicle Mountain had Balloon Fighter music b/c it fit good on that stage. So the same probably applies to Brawl.

Sorry Blayde, posted right after you.

Rubydragon

Smash Ace
The Pokemon stage probably doesn't have a scroll bar because those aren't all the songs you could unlock from a CD...?

I thought that was as much common sense as being only able to play that same franchise's music...

Rhubarbo

Smash Champion
Well, I think we're going to be limited to a list of pre-designated songs for a stage. For example, the X Song might be present on more than just one stage as it's not from any particular series.

But how stupid would it be to fight on Delfino Plaza with the Pokemon Theme, or playing Mario Circuit with Ashley's Theme? That's what I thought.

Rash

Smash Ace
Yeah, limiting the stages to their respective franchises makes the most sense. But, you never know.

Speaking of which, I wonder where the X music will be played.

C.Olimar788

Smash Ace
I thought the general assumption from the beginning was that each stage has its own however many songs. I doubt that you can put any song on any stage, as that would just be a hassle with so many songs.

Mambo

Smash Journeyman
What? People thought that you could put any song on any stage?
That's what I always expected it to be. I personaly like having unique music selected for each stage, though they could just have each song they want preselected and all other songs set a 0% for that stage but you can scroll through and select what you want. That might be kind of fun though. Like having the Ashley's theme on The Bridge or Snake's stage.
At first I always though it'd be 4-6 songs per stage you choose from, but now that you make me think about it, I'd want the unique 4-6 songs preselected (and as you get them) and slecectable for each stage from all your songs.

Xanderous

Smash Lord
Yeah, I was thinking about this, and then I remembered I didn't really care. Wouldn't make sense to have Pokemon music on a Zelda stage anyway.

bballstar23

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-2383-6686-1312
About the X song, I agree that it would most likely be on a Star Fox stage, since the games were similar, or maybe there could be songs just for Stage Builder. I think the only stages that could use any music you want are the ones you build yourself.

Hejiru

Smash Ace
Ever since the My Music update, I knew it was just the franchise. No surprise.

I thought eveybody knew this.

WingedKnight

Smash Ace
I got the impression that you can put any song on a built stage, but franchise songs on specific stages. Thats the only thing that makes sense! What if you put Yoshi's Island music for the Shadow Moses Island stage? I admit, it would be hilarious, but it isn't a feature that makes a lot of sense. I guess its franchise-specific music for the made stages.

Luigi player

Smash Master
I think that every stage will have about 5 songs, and that the Pokemon Stadium stage can get more too that you can unlock by collection the CDs.

It's obvious that you can't just put any music on any stage (except your own ones).

The idea of haveing any song of a franchise on any of it's levels is very nice (I never thought of this). I hope it'll be like that, because there are already some songs that could have their own stages...

SWORDMASTER X7

Smash Cadet
Sakurai said:
Basically, there is only one song that plays on each stage. But even among the myriad songs of the Mario universe, people probably have different favorites.
The bolded part implies that you can put songs on any stage even though they are from different franchises.

Sakurai might just like having songs from the same franchise on his stages.

Rhubarbo

Smash Champion
The bolded part implies that you can put songs on any stage even though they are from different franchises.

Sakurai might just like having songs from the same franchise on his stages.
**sigh** No, all that means is that their are a lot of Mario songs.

Luigi player

Smash Master
I win, no point in arguing with me.
I'm pretty sure he didn't mean it like you think.

Also, it may not mean anything, but in german he says it without the "every song in the game".

Here's another quote:

Sakurai said:
This is "My Music" for Delfino Plaza.
Would he say that if you have every song for every stage? I'm not sure...
Also it makes no sense at all to have every song available for every stage.

He also says that there is e.g. a Mario stage and there are countless of Mario songs in all of his games, but which of all the great Mario songs favours everyone?

^This also makes no mension of that you could have a other games music on a Mario stage...

Sakurai said:
Plus, while there may be people who stepped into the Mario universe in the original Nintendo Entertainment System days, surely there are some who first experienced Mario on the Nintendo DS.
With that in mind, I think it’s a bit of a waste to limit that whole universe to just one song.
You wouldn't want to have a Zelda music on a Mario stage, right?

Zombieoficer

Smash Journeyman
...People actually thought you could play any song on any stage? You mean, they didn't see a pattern?

Wow.

burrito

Smash Lord
I've always thought each stage had it's own list of pre-designated music. I like it better that way, the stages keep their unique personalities.

I win, no point in arguing with me.
He's saying that you can make every song as likely to appear for its respective stage.

smashbro29

Smash Champion
NNID
Smashbro29
3DS FC
2724-0750-5127
i think very strongly that music will be by icon like mario music can play on any mario stage for example

Eaode

Smash Champion
I'm okay with songs on stages being franchise specific. What I'm not okay with is limiting the placement of non-smash franchises to certain stages. I want to put the X music wherever I want to **** it!

Top Bottom