• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

My $MM from SMYM 9 with tink/eddie and others. NEED CRITIQUE!

MEXICAN

Smash Lord
Your DK is pretty diverse, which is the kind of DK you'll need if you want to have any shot at beating a good falco. You have a good DK despite the fact that the way you play makes you look like you're not a DK main.

Against falco, you gotta make sure you space/time your edgeguards right, otherwise you end up catching his illusion that equals death for DK since his vertical is so bad. It looks like you're doing well at taking the initiative to edgeguard him though, just gotta work on the timing.

Against ganon, you did a pretty good job. Ganon vs DK is all about spacing and edgeguarding for DK. Its not as much about combos as most people think it is. If you get a combo on him, great, if not, just make sure when you hit him off the stage, he doesn't come back. One think that i think you might want to do differently, is when you grab ganon at high damages, instead of u throw u air, do full jump u throw, to second jump f air. You'll get better results that way. You also edgeguard differently than i do, i'd usually suggest how to change it, but it looks like it worked well enough for you, so stick with it, just be careful not to mess up and let him back on. One more thing, you gotta work on ledge teching. I don't think i saw even one ledge tech and you had so many opportunities to do so. You'll survive a lot longer if you master this.

lol, vs Tink reminds me of the good ole days when KFC REALLY used to whoop my ***. Two things i can suggest against someone like him, dash attack and cc'd d smash. Dash attack to slow him down (he rushes you a lot and the dash attack is perfect for those types of people). The d smash is if you're already getting hit and you expect it to ensue without you getting the chance to put up your shield again. It's good for ending his combo if he lets up for even a split second and works even if he short hops, is behind you, or in front of you just out of grab range. But dash attack is your best friend.

Ok, it looks like you need a lot of work against marth. You have to really have your spacing down in this matchup, and you have to not let him lure you in without turning around first. You don't stand a chance against marth facing him. D tilt or f tilt him to get him off of you for a second and then run away and jump back with b airs or just dash dance. Giant punches are critical in this matchup too. This is a matchup of your spacing and luring him out of his. If you can lure marth out of his spacing well enough, you'll beat the marth every time

MEXICAN

Smash Lord
I'd also say limit your forward smashing a little bit more. I try to avoid using it almost completely myself. The only times i usually use it is when it's either a guaranteed hit or for an edgeguard which is still rare even then

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
do you think I could become just as good as bum by the time genesis rolls around?

also where should I counter pick characters? I may look good but I honestly don't know what level gives DK a solid advantage. I usually go yoshi's because up b hits through platforms

MEXICAN

Smash Lord
do you think I could become just as good as bum by the time genesis rolls around?

also where should I counter pick characters? I may look good but I honestly don't know what level gives DK a solid advantage. I usually go yoshi's because up b hits through platforms
Getting as good as bum by that time is all up to you. That depends on how naturally skilled you are and how much effort you put in and how much experience you have. My advice, watch a lot of videos. See what works and what doesn't. Any questions about any tactics in particular, ask me and I'll give my opinion on it. My opinions aren't always agreed upon, but for the most part, I think most people in the DK threads trust my judgment and knowledge of DK.

I would recommend against yoshis, but that's a personal preference. I know pkmvodka likes that stage. I personally don't like it due to the fact that you can't take full advantage of DK's weight and great recovery and survivability there. DK dies at the same damage as everyone else, and at any other stage, i survive to over 200 damage a lot of the times...that won't happen at yoshis.

My personal favorite stage is stadium. You can ledge tech easily there, the sides are fairly wide which lets you take advantage of DK's great horizontal recovery, the ceiling is relatively low, which means quick vertical kills (and next to fox, DK has probably one of the best vertical kills game). You can also up be them through platforms, the dash attack works extremely well there, if a wall comes up, you can probably mindgame a chaingrab into the wall (cargo d throw doesn't put your enemy into a tumbling state and they land on their feet, most people will try to tech it or just shield after being thrown, letting you regrab and repeat.

My personal list for best to worst DK neutral stages are

Stadium
Final D
Dreamland
FoD
Yoshis story
Battlefield.

As far as counterpicking stages go, Bum likes to take fast fallers and IC's to jungle japes and brinstar. I personally just like to stick to stadium, but DK does have some solid advantages at those stages. If you want more of a breakdown of best stages, here's the link to the thread that I made awhile back, my opinions have changed in a few cases since i made the thread though...

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=117841

eighteenspikes

Smash Master
lol yesss our matches were super fun. the last kill on game 3 was awesome ahah. are you gonna go to most of the melee circuit events? im gonna try to go to jab1, lets try to get some more matches in there :lick:

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
you have a really good DK. I think you should use the ledge attack < 100% a lot more, you seem to avoid it as much as you can and I don't know why. If you just grabbed the ledge and ledge attack you're invincible for most of it and it has a lot of priority as it is.
You could try light shielding some more, it's really good and especially against people like Marth, Fox, Falcon, or Ganondorf who if they poke your shield can really wail on you. I also noticed that you go for the cargo-up -> u-air combo even over 100% when you should probably be backthrowing and setting up for an edgeguard.

Otherwise you have a really solid DK (probably better than mine, it's hard to tell from vids). As far as cp's go, Pokemans Stadium rules against a lot of chars, Dreamland is also really good for its far blastlines and characters like Marth can't tipper f-smash you through the platforms. Unfortunately you can't Up-B them trough the platforms on that stage, which is why Pokemon Stadium is so great. You've gotta kinda weigh the options and get some experience in match-ups on different stages.

edit: at 0:52 or so vs. Eddie in the second match you could have B-Up'd him... :(

Top Bottom