• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

My little brother complains excessively when we play. (help)

punch

Smash Cadet
We play one on one. Omega stages, Battlefield, and Smashville. On average my little brother, 14, wins more matches than me each session.

He complains loudly mid match.

"Oh my God. Why are you spamming your Pica Thunder?!"

He proceeds to win the match.

I look at him like wtf dude. You complain even when you win.

When he loses he goes on long rants. He accuses me of spamming and running away.

Am I wrong for running away when there is 10 seconds left in a match and the score display shows +1 on my character and -1 on his character? He complained at length about that. He actually hurt my ear with his loud, obnoxious complaining.

Anyway, he gets furious when my Pica Fire lands and I immediately follow up with a baseball bat.

Is that spam?

What should I do?

Post and discuss.

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
We play one on one. Omega stages, Battlefield, and Smashville. On average my little brother, 14, wins more matches than me each session.

When he loses he goes on long rants. He accuses me of spamming and running away.

Am I wrong for running away when there is 10 seconds left in a match and the score display shows +1 on my character and -1 on his character? He complained at length about that. He actually hurt my ear with his loud, obnoxious complaining.

Anyway, he gets furious when my Pica Fire lands and I immediately follow up with a baseball bat.

Is that spam?

What should I do?

Post and discuss.
PK Fire -> Bat isn't spam unless you are going for PK Fire ALL the time...
Same thing applies to PK Thunder.

Also, no you really aren't wrong for doing that, he's just slow af, that's it.

Basically, if he yells at you, tell him to shut up and settle it in Smash. If he is STILL complaining, tell him he is bad for not being able to adapt to your play style.

Last edited:

punch

Smash Cadet
PK Fire -> Bat isn't spam unless you are going for PK Fire ALL the time...
Same thing applies to PK Thunder.
How many times do I have to do it in a row for it to be considered spam?

I go for it 3 times in a row max. But I usually never do that... I am always changing it up; I don't like to become predictable.

Last edited:

Xermo

Smash Champion
NNID
SSBFC-Xerom
3DS FC
4425-1998-0670
Play stock mode instead

GanonPawnch

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MLT117
If spamming is working against him, then that's his fault. Don't stop spamming for the sake of not spamming, spamming generally does not work. If he can't figure out how to get round your "Spam", then why should you stop? It's winning, isn't it? Also, play stock.

Last edited:

LOGIA666

Smash Apprentice

Is that spam?

What should I do?

Post and discuss.
People only complain/John/call people spammer, etc, etc, etc because they are losing/taking damage etc.

That's about it. The only way to play is to win. Even 1122 Villager, who is the campiest thing in existence is still considered the right move to pull if it gets you the win.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Strictly speaking, spamming not an illegitimate tactic, but considering you are losing because of it, you should try to change that.

That said, the source of the problem is your brother, so remove the source of the problem and play with someone else.

Also, if your brother has no else to play with, you can blackmail him by saying you won't play if he doesn't stop complaining.

:231:

Raijinken

Smash Master
My brother and I had the same issue for a very long time, until we both just got tired of it and started playing doubles. That's the best solution for wanting (or depending on how family rules are set up, being required to) play with a sibling but not enjoying fighting against them.

3DS FC
2552-3002-7860
Your brother is probably what you would call "Overly competitive"
He maybe started playing against you for fun but after a while got mad and now he just wants to win.

Conclusion: Your brother is salty.

Maple42

Smash Apprentice
I find it hilarious when people complain about spamming. Like, if I'm doing the same thing over and over again, then they must be really bad, since they can't even figure out how to stop one move....
If you tell him that, he might not complain anymore : p

If he has a problem, then he should try and fix it. He keeps getting hit with Thunder? Well, he can air dodge, shield, or straight up run away.... It isn't a move you can just spam and not get punished for it.

Oh, and timed matches sometime lead to stall outs; I personally don't find anything wrong with this (I mean, if I'm winning, I think it's the responsibility of my opponent's to try and make me lose, not me by running in blindly....). However, if you both despite the tactic, then stock matches will work just fine.

MrPhox

Tamed Beast
NNID
Mr.Phox
3DS FC
0318-7803-7610
Spam is only an issue for newbs. Imagine if you played rock-paper-scissors with somebody. You SPAM rock EVERY round!
And they STILL lose over and over... How dumb does that sound? Who's fault is it for losing to spam?

They fail to counter your predictable playstyle and instead of being disappointed with their inability to adapt, they take their anger out on you for your exploitation of their weakness.

Tell him not to direct his anger at you, it's not your fault. You're just making the choices that reward you the best in battle. That's what learning the enemy and predicting him is all about. He's essentially complaining about his own 1-dimensional defense, rather than your 1-dimensional playstyle.

If you repeatedly use a move, and you are punished again and again, yet continue to spam the same move, then it will be YOU who loses for it. Spam is only a problem for the person who is doing it.

People who lose to spam call into question latency/lag, distractions/interruptions, game design and various excuses to justify their personal frustration. They blame some external source for their inability to adapt. This is a way that they protect their egos, because they are so dead set on a certain image for themselves that they've become too fragile to take a loss.

Last edited:

digiholic

Smash Ace
NNID
digiholic
When people get mad at me for spamming on Mega Man, I usually switch to Mii Gunner with Grenade/FirePillar/LunarLaunch/Bomb

NOW THE REAL SPAMMING BEGINS

They usually don't care about my lemons after that.

Splooshi Splashy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Splooshi_Splashy
3DS FC
4768-8534-8805
Your bro could pick someone like :4duckhunt:, whose Gunmen, Cans, and Clays can all ward off PK Fires and Thunders (NOT the PKT2 ram), or :4bowserjr:, whose Mechakoopas and Cannonballs can help block off such moves, as well as Side B Jump Cancels granting him extra mobility to get around such moves. He could also pick more traditional reflector/absorber characters like :4gaw:, :4palutena:, or :4ness: himself.

aethermaster

Smash Ace
NNID
Aethermaster
3DS FC
2552-2699-1664
Tell him in your best Reggie Fils-Aime voice No johns or do an Iwata impersonation and yell "DIRECTLY" every time you launch him (bonus points if you do the hand motion too)

Purin a.k.a. José

Smash Lord
NNID
purinsmash
3DS FC
1418-7121-0144
The problem lies with him, not with you. He must adapt to your playstyle and stop complaining, because we get nothing from calling the other guy a "Spammer". If he thinks that you are spamming too much the PK Fire and Thunder, then you're outplaying him. Because, well, it's not so hard to deal with those attacks, since PK Fire keeps in only one place and the PK Thunder has quite a "average" speed. And, since he rages even when winning, suspend the games a bit and show how it's just a videogame.

MisterCornbread

Smash Rookie
NNID
dcorban
3DS FC
2809-8980-3054
"Pica" thunder? Until you mentioned the bat, I thought you were discussing Pikachu.

It's "PK", not "pica".

16LetterUsername

Smash Rookie
I have a 15 yr old bro who does this, kind of...Its his way of coping with loss of control...A type of defense mechanism lol...seriously.\

He is attributing his loss of control with something external so that he still believes that he has a chance of winning. Attributing his loss of control, and potential defeat, to something internal, such as his will or actions, would make him feel lesser, like he couldn't win.

...but dont tell him this lol...just keep it as a little secret. Im a ****ing psychologist m8.

Last edited:
Top Bottom