• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

My Kirby Needs Work...

East

Crappy Imitation
Doing Tricks in a Mansion Location: Tokyo, JP
So I'd like to start using Kirby more, bring him up to at least 2nd status at least. I'd prefer to have the way I play Kirby looked at so I know what bad habits to break and what habits I need to pick up. Any comments, criticisms would be greatly appreciated.

Below are two videos my friend and I played:

vs. DK [Burly] 1

vs. DK [Burly] 2

Again, thanks to those who help.

powuh_of_PIE

Smash Journeyman
I need to play you as DK and Burly as Kirby and correct those poo stains you call matches. =P j/k

You might want to think about fast-falling the Dair more often - drags them down faster, and makes it very easy to footstool afterwards. SHDair also works well for quick spikes near the edge, like early in the first vid where you jumped too high to spike a SHDair would have done the job.

Watch out for too much tilt spamming, though it tends to work well on heavies like DK some of the lighter characters will get out of that utilt earlier than expected, and people who outrange your ftilt (including DK, if played right) will be punishing that as well. Marth especially is someone you don't want to be caught tilt spamming at.

A lot of new/amateur Kirbys will be told not to use Fsmash too much - but you hardly use it at all! (Not that you're a noob lol) It's an excellent killer when kept fresh - outclassed by only the Ground Hammer iirc - and since you're already doing that start looking for opportunities to throw it in. It has a slightly disjointed hitbox just past the toe that sends the opponent upwards, and lingers longer than people expect.

One last thing: The Gonzo Combo works well against heavies and spacies, I was surprised to find none of that here.

Overall good Kirby, can't wait to ditto you ^ ^

A1lion835

Smash Champion
Lurking the Kirby Social thread with my rock buds.
*cracks knuckles*

Here we go.

First game:

Wait... what controller are you using? Apparently not GC... go buy one. Although it looks like you use classic, so you're not as screwed as with wiimote or wiimote/nunchuk, but still.

- Pummel when you throw.

- I would suggest dthrow for building up % (does most damage).

- When you got him offstage at :51, you just edgehogged. A stone edguard would've been perfect in that situation.

- Stop shielding his really strong attacks. Your shield's gonna get broken sooner or later. Go for a spotdodge.

- You keep on rolling away when he uses attacks that won't even hit you (aka dsmash at 1:07). You could probably punish with a grab.

- That rising nair at 1:15? No. Just no. Rising nair=FAIL. Try rising dair against larger characters like DK.

- At 1:38ish, jumping towards people at high %=generally bad idea.

Second game:

- At :14, just dropping through and inhaling while he charged his giant punch was a bad idea, although that was probably just a mistake on your part.

- At :20, instead of dashing hammer, you should've done dash grab fthrow>uair>fthrow>uair>fsmash. Would've done twice as much damage and had a better chance of hitting.

- Utilt OWNAGE. Sweet.

- At :40, your utilt would've taken too long to hit even if it had. I'd suggest dtilt, which would probably trip him and lead to an fsmash KO.

- At 1:22, basically something I said from the first match. Jump or Slow attack towards person at high %=generally bad idea.

- Not enough grabs, and you didn't pummel when you grabbed. Same with the first game.

- You kept on charging your giant punch when he was either right next to you or dashing towards you. That just screams "Hit me!"

- A stone edguard would've been perfect at 2:12ish.

Very good kirby (no sarcasm). But there's room for improvement, just like everyone else.

East

Crappy Imitation
Doing Tricks in a Mansion Location: Tokyo, JP
Hey Pie, The university paid me $1500 so when that clears the bank I can record some of our matches with the capture card I'm gonna get.

I learned early on that Kirby's Forward Smash is an amazing killing move, so I try to make a note to save it, which usually ends up with me not using even when I'm supposed to.

What is a Gonzo Combo?

I do and always have used the Gamecube Controller.

What is a stone edgeguard?

Why is the rising Nair bad?

Why is jumping at people at high percents a bad idea?

The Forward Throw combo, do I need to fastfall the U-airs in order to grab again?

powuh_of_PIE

Smash Journeyman
1. Gonzo Combo has two forms. The first works on heavies and spacies at low %s and goes fthrow --> uair --> fthrow --> uair --> fsmash. The second one works on most medium-weight characters and goes fthrow --> uair --> reverse utilt --> bair. No fastfalling needed for the uairs, just do them while you have the momentum from the fthrow so that you are moving slightly forward in order to regrab.

2. Stone edgeguard is just using Stone (down+B) to edgeguard. Stagespikes if you're lucky.

3. Rising Nair is bad because of the ending lag, which is horrendous. The only use for Nair is when falling because it autocancels, and even then the knockback is just enough to put them out of combo reach.

4. Death is something people like to avoid. You know, so you can win.

Top Bottom