• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

My Kirby In (Improving) Action * new video added *

HoshiPuri

Smash Journeyman
The Picture

Before you Read any of these links
Before you click on any of these links, I would like to say that I already know that I should fight better people. The only reason why I fight these people is because there is no way I can go anywhere to play someone my level or better. So, yeah, I learned all that I've learned by myself and the help of Youtube.

Critic Nicely But Seriously
Please comment nicely but critic seriously! I don't have a great fire proof wall so don't flame me with coments such as "you suck" and "fight better people." We can change. I'm guessing the scale of 1 to 10 would be good.

Are Matches Boring?
Friendly matches indeed are funny.

Rules KP Made (Curse YOU!!!)
All of the matches have 3 stocks and were all at Final Destination (FD)
Normally I don't go to Final Destination, but this time KP chose all the stages. Yes, KP LOVES Final Destination.

Don't Rate KP. Don't even talk about KP! [/Joke]
Don't even bother rating KP. It's me! I'm the special one. I'm the one who cares. Rate me, please! Urgh.That would had sounded funnier if I were seriously.

The Videos are Short!
And if anyone could try. Please watch all the videos. Especially Match #3 and #5 you should at least get to. They both have great endings.

A Message to t!MmY
A Message to t!MmY: Yup t!MmY, I know you're going to come to this one exact thread. I mean I hope. I'm just asking if I could appear in the video thread. If it's okay with you...

The Videos (6/17/07)
Match 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_zfKmUEykw
Match 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8bmbUzMJUc&mode=user&search=
Match 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TImLCiBHZqk&mode=user&search=
Match 4: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92tCTLAhLLU&mode=user&search=
Match 5: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_IuPt4R7i6M&mode=user&search=

(7/4/07) * new *
* new *
Timmy Gives The Best Advice: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldhBWtXL4eU&mode=user&search=
Personal Comments: Timmy told me to start jabbing. So I did! I'm debating if I should make this videos a completely different topic on the Video Thread.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
I'm just asking if I could appear in the video thread. If it's okay with you...
But of course. Just make sure to put "HoshiPuri" in your video tags so I can link to all your videos at once.

(going to watch the videos now)

HoshiPuri

Smash Journeyman
I'm pretty sure my tags included HoshiPuri. Were they supposed to be somewhere specific? I'm not getting something. >___>

EDIT: Wait no. I get it! You're reminding me ^___^

Kirby Superstar

Smash Apprentice
amazing........ your intermediate at wave dashing, and you can L - cancel with tremendous speed. * x 9.5 / * x 10

HoshiPuri

Smash Journeyman
Intermediate at wave dashing since I've been doing it for 2 years? Oh well. It's better than having nub wavedashes. Besides, wavedashing looks different on different characters. Fox has a smoother wavedash. Characters like Ice Climbers and Mewtwo's look much different. I guess it's just Kirby in that situation.

Thanks for the L-cancel complement. I never really knew that I was so fast with the L cancel.

Please, more comments/ratings appreciated.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
The technical skill you know seems to be well-practiced, but there are a few things that it seems you don't take advantage of in your fights.

The first I noticed is that you should get more familiar with jumping out of your shield and attacking. In the first video, I saw several opportunities for you to land a B-air on the Falcon, such as after you shielded his D-air w/ missed L-cancel, and when he hit your shield with a Raptor boost.

When you grabbed, you pretty much went with U-throw. While this can be a good choice sometimes, I suggest using it against characters that would otherwise hit you out of a d-throw (Mario, Samus, etc). Against fast fallers like Captain Falcon, you should have been using more d-throws. Watch to see if they tech or not. If so, tech chase and punish. If not, u-tilts are always good. Don't be afraid to use B-throw. If you're fast, your opponent won't break out of it even at relatively low percents.

Try SHFFLing your attacks. I saw a lot of full jumps and not a lot of Fast Falls. Although Kirby may seem floaty and better suited for longish attack in the air, he can still use SHFFLing to his advantage. You just gotta start using it more often until you get used to when to go for fast attacks and when to go for slow attacks.

The same goes for Kirby's Jab. It's quick and lets you disrupt a nearby opponent. Try using it more often and you'll start seeing when it works and when it doesn't. Try it when you think your opponent may dodge or shield and quickly follow-up with another attack such as a Grab or a Tilt. You can also use it when an opponent falls down and misses a tech - run up and Jab them. This will cause them to stand up and be vulnerable to your next attack (known as a "forced wake-up").

I'm looking forward to seeing more videos and seeing how you improve. :)

HoshiPuri

Smash Journeyman
Before hand, when I was playing, I used other characters because charactes got boring. I would SHFFL like mad! My opponent caught up with that strategy so he started Shield Grabbing a lot. That's why I don't SHFFL as much. Normally I would, just don't want to be punished. I could incorporate more attacks into approaches that way. Thanks for the help!

I never really thought of the jabs "often" though it popped out somewhere in the fourth movie (I think it did somewhere). I should try this out. Thanks again for the info.

I used to love Kirby's down throw, but I always hated getting hit. Most players I play use moderate falling charaters, but I haven't really thought that the faster fallers could get hit. my opponents have gotten used to me doing his down throw and tech away. In this situations I would run over and grab them again or "try" hitting with a SHFFL. Maybe I should demand to play on more platformed stages. If they roll to one side... HAMMER! Maybe if they decide to roll behind me the Up tilts. A Fox that doesn't know how to DI could be comboed over 90 damaged with Up Tilts. Thanks (once again) for the information!!

I've been familiar with the jumping out of the shield technique. I just never thought or somehow not incorporate this to my normal gameplay. I'm just confused. Which move should I use? The F-air would hit twice. With that should I go with a grab? Use a unsweet spoted B-air? Which moves would be after jumping out of your shield?

I seem to say thanks a lot >_____>
(Oh no here it comes....)

Thanks again (Maybe I might say that again?), More comments appreciated. I think KP can come over to my house again over on the weekends or earlier. Darn me and my nerdiness to school and high school credit!

MUST LEARN MORE

EDIT: Now I have to edit the animation so it fits the SmashBoards. hehe

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
As with any technique or strategy, you have to use it effectively. If you just "SHFFL like mad" your opponent will eventually punish you for it (such as Shield Grabbing as you mentioned). You have to learn to use smart gameplay, that which people call "mind games". If your opponent Shield Grabs your SHFFLs, you have to learn to distance your aerials so their grab is ineffective. Or L-cancel into a crouch, if they're a tall character, so their grab goes over head. Immediately jabbing after a SHFFL can interrupt Shield Grabs... even D-tilt/F-tilt/U-tilt can hit before your opponent can grab you if they're slow.

But the reason I said to use more SHFFLs wasn't so you could spam them, it was simply for practice and seeing how they can be used in battle (and ways to counter the counters to SHFFLs).

Yeah, Kirby's d-throw can be garbage against the floatier characters and opponents that know to attack immediately after being thrown. If you know the percentages, though, you can trick your opponent into attacking at higher percents when you can get your Shield up in time to block their aerial and then grab/hit them.

The best maneuver to use out-of-shield is dependant on the circumstances. Often times I will use B-air because it's quick, strong and easy to hit with. But you can use all sorts of attacks by jumping out of your shield and attacking quickly: N-air, D-air, U-air, F-air, Aerial Hammer, U-smash, and even Final Cutter and Swallow. Experiment and find out what works in which situations and what has "suprise value".

skellitorman

Smash Journeyman
You have good technicals from what i can see. Good teching, dash dancing and wavedashing mainly. I personally like kirby's grab as it has a nice range and a good 10 dmg (u throw) so good job with that. (though its good to mix up his grabs b throw and f throw at higher percents) Although its probably hard to practice this with your opponent KP, i think you should work on your dodging skills. He was just like a punching bag the whole time and for the most part you just attacked instead of countering, with spot dodges and shield attacks (jumping out bair). I also think you use smash attacks way to often because you can get away with it. Try to do more hard things than just simple things that only work because of your opponent. Most of kirby's attacks have little range and little priority compared to most characters. What i think matters alot with kirby is his approach because of this. Also I don't like taking many risks because kirby dies very easily and can be comboed easily as well, so keep that in mind as to use dependable moves. (Aerial hammer is not very dependable IMO) Be a little bit more cautious, even though your opponent is always wide open to everything.

HoshiPuri

Smash Journeyman
Try down b-ing more when you have the oppurtunity and you'll be even better!
Down B-ing isn't so great. The damage is good but it's predictable. When a Kirby is flying up really high above you, your opponents would know you are going to use the Down-B or maybe the D-air. When the stone lands you are vulnerable to a fully charged smash attack or another kind of strong attack. I only use the stone so I could fall faster. So if someone upsmashed me (and I somehow survive O,o) I would use the stone to fall down not so I hit the ground but somewhere that I know I can be safe. If an attack that was going to KO me upwards, such as Pikachu's downsmash, I use the stone to prevent the star KO.

I hope you see the point why the down B isn't so great. It doesn't even work on lvl 9 CPU's too (Roll dodge FTW).

HoshiPuri

Smash Journeyman
I hate it when people in California are like "I have nobody to play" lol
Geez. I really do not like having a crazy asian mom that doesn't let you get your way. It's going to be a long four and a half years before I can become "someone" (My own car, yay!!!). Maybe I'll even be playing Kirby in Brawl.

Even if I do find someone in my town, my crazy mom wouldn't let me go. (And I did find someone but no, grrr)

If only I was older. Maybe better parents.

EDIT: After pluging my Dazzle to my computer, I have two programs I could use. Pinnacle Studios and WMM (Windows Movie Maker). I prefer to record with WMM, but recently the sound doesn't want to be recorded. When I use Pinnnacle Studios, the sound records there, but the quality isn't so great. I personally have to bear with Pinnacle Studios now. Version 10.5 isn't that bad. Just have to learn a few new things now. The real question is, why won't WMM record sound anymore?

EDIT AGAIN: Someone is coming tomorrow to play! Yay. But too bad they're not at my level.... :(

HoshiPuri

Smash Journeyman
The Video(s) (7/4/07) * new *
* new * Timmy Gives The Best Advice: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldhBWtXL4eU&mode=user&search=
Personal Comments: Timmy told me to start jabbing. So I did! I'm debating if I should make this videos a completely different topic on the Video Thread.

Jayferd's Message
Seriously, though. Do u have the GSC? http://www.smashwiki.com/wiki/GSC There's a huge smash scene all around Sacramento. We should ditto sometime :D
Hoshi Puri's Response
I've recently heard about it though. I downloaded it. That's as far as I got. I'm pretty sure crazy asian parents would let me go if I could drive a car or get a ride (With Trusty People).

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
The "jab" video you added was funny.

If I'm ever in Fresno, I'll come play friendlies with you.

skellitorman

Smash Journeyman
Thats just another reason why kirby's jabs are the best lol. And if any of you guys are ever over here in Ft. Lauderdale Florida come over and play some friendlies

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
I will!
Hm, I don't know when I'm going to be in Florida next. lol.

Sushiman

Smash Journeyman
Hoshi Puri's Response
I've recently heard about it though. I downloaded it. That's as far as I got. I'm pretty sure crazy asian parents would let me go if I could drive a car or get a ride (With Trusty People).
Hey, I have crazy asian parents, too! They won't let me drive to places an hour away! ):

yuki

Smash Apprentice
*bump*
Long time no see...XD Nah it was a while ago that I posted that you should down-B more -_____-
Anyway I'm sure you have improved a lot since then but I can still give you a hint.(Although I'm not even CLOSE to your level) When you get knocke far away try jumping and then arial f'ing it gives you a little boost ^^.

Cereal Rabbit

Smash Lord
*bump*
Long time no see...XD Nah it was a while ago that I posted that you should down-B more -_____-
Anyway I'm sure you have improved a lot since then but I can still give you a hint.(Although I'm not even CLOSE to your level) When you get knocke far away try jumping and then arial f'ing it gives you a little boost ^^.
Because Cereal Rabbit is the same person as HoshiPuri, uhm....

Yeah I have used more Final Cutters and Stones in my game play. Good mindgames, but I still suck. I'm gonna make a new thread for my new videos in my new smash career. >__>

I actually quit SWF because no one was willing to help with my tech problem. I was still a smasher by heart. I ran a thought through my head, I don't need sounds, all I need are mind games. So I came back forgetting my old password tee hee, and made a new account and changed my name....

yuki

Smash Apprentice
So it's hoshipuri's great comeback then ^^ Awesome that you decided to get back.
Do send me the link to the thread of your new videos I realy still think you're a great kirby player. I like you're still somehow

Top Bottom