• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

My first Tournament ever was...

Skrah

Smash Ace
Link to original post: [drupal=1227]My first Tournament ever was...[/drupal]

A total failure..

It all went like this.

A friend wanted to go to a comic and anime convention with me, and since I don't like neither, I felt like refusing. Then I remembered that someone had told me that Melee tournaments were held there. So I agreed to go.

We entered the building, and the first thing I heard was the Melee menu music. I just couldn't believe my luck, until the epic announcer said "Maylaaay!". I tried hard not to rush to where the sound came from, and instead walked with my friend so he could at least enjoy the convention. After we finished our round through the stands, we finally set for the place where the tournament was held. I saw a bunch of people staring at a screen. I said, "This is it!".

First of all, I want to let you know that this wasn't a big tournament. Just 20 pesos (less than a dollar, before the crisis it was 10 pesos = 1 dollar, now it's 15 pesos = 1 dollar) to get on the tournament. I watched the first few matches, and most of them were scrubs, so naturally I was confident. My friend was saying that I would do great and told me to kick some ***.

But then they called my name. And I got nervous. I grabbed a controller, sat down, pressed start, facepalmed at myself for being so stupid, pressed L+R+A+Start, waited for my opponent to arrive, and when I saw who he was, the only thing I could say was "****". First off, he brought his own controller. Second of all, he plugged it in the 3rd port. Third off, everyone was like "Hey man you came". So I got MORE nervous.

I chose Link, and he went Falco. Stupid on my part, since I knew that it was only FD and Falco ***** Link there, but by that time I wasn't thinking straight. My first stock went very fast, his laser spamming and my own nervousness overwhelmed me. Finally I got to my senses, and started FJ nairing and keeped out my boomerang, chipped up some damage. I scrah oos'd out of shield and took off his stock. He got more aggresive, I freezed and he won.

I was very very dissapointed. I managed to shake his hand, say good game and walk away grimly to my friend. He tried consoling me, and I tried too. But, I was just so dissapointed in myself. I knew I had the necessary tech skills. I knew what to do against Falcos, and I just let panic take over.

I thought, No worries, I'll go to another tournament and get better. But, suddenly, I didn't feel like going to tournaments anymore. Normally when I get back home after going out I turn on Melee and play an hour or two. Right now, I don't feel like playing Melee. I just don't want to.

I really don't want to lose my passion to Melee, and I know that I sound like a whiny emo *****, but I seriously waited so long to go to a tournament, and got kicked out on my first match. I just don't see the point of practicing and playing against level 7 cpu's to become better, since the better part of 2 years after returning to Melee of constant playing where wasted.

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
Don't worry about it, man. You entered, and you got your feet wet, and that's an accomplishment in itself. It's a learning process, and it's going to be a while before you learn how to control your nervousness.

Losing is part of the game for everyone, at least at first. In my very first tournament, I had to face Cort, one of the best Smashers in the nation. Yeah, I got roasted, but I learned from it and still managed to have fun.

So congratulations, you've successfully joined the tournament community! As long as you work hard and keep a positive attitude, things will only get better from here.

Also, not wanting to play Smash after a tournament is perfectly normal, regardless of how well you did. I usually take a week off from playing after I go to a tournament.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Yeah, the first round of my first big tournament I had to play DSF lol.

Fun stuff.

Scott!

Smash Lord
Something tells me I'll be telling this story tomorrow... It's my first real tournament. I went to one at my college. 32 people, some who do know their stuff, charity event type thing. It was good and all. But tomorrow, I'm going to the Road to Viridian City monthly thing in Jersey City. And I'm going to lose. All the time. I mean, I know my stuff, and I know I won't when the match starts. At least I looked up stage picks for Marth against characters who matter. It should be fun though. I'm excited. :)

finalark

SNORLAX
I remember my tournament, and I also remember my second tournament. I would have gotten first in both had my controller not broke before the matches.

And by the way, don't worry that you lost. You lost to someone who mains the cheapest character in the game. So had he chosen a real character I'm sure that you would have won.

Skrah

Smash Ace
Thanks guys..

Yeah, I really need to control my nervousness. Its not only smash wise, I get stage fright sometimes, and basically get nervous whenever people are watching me, and tend to do clumsy things.

D

Deleted member

My first tournament went well. I placed 16th out of 40 in a Smash 64 tourney, playing as Pikachu. Pikachu is a pimp.

M@v

Subarashii!
People generally do bad at their first tourney, its no big deal man. I got 9/16 at my 1st. I fought sliq in my first-ever tourney match lol :)

Mith_

Smash Champion
Everybody feels they way you do after their first tournament. Me and my friend did. I was also considering quitting but I just decided to get better at it. The next tourney I went to I didn't do spectacular but I did a hell of a lot better than my first one.

Keep practicing and you'll make it :)

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Keep going and getting ***** less and less hard until you start winning! :mad:

outRAGEous

Smash Journeyman
in the first serious tournament i went to, i beat kirbykid, who i found out was considered the world's best kirby. with pikachu of course. then bluezaft glitched the game in grand finals. lol marth's fsmash equals angled spike at 14 %.

Bandit_Kieth

Smash Apprentice
You lost to someone who mains the cheapest character in the game. So had he chosen a real character I'm sure that you would have won
doesnt matter if he's cheap.. just get him off stage and gimp him or something, it's his worst weakness i think.. they're all real characters, so you're not putting up much of a point.

either way, dont feel swayed by your first tourney, i havent actually been to one yet :(
continue to practice until you get godly (deva's level) :p

everyone learns from their experiences, the only way to go is up

rehab

Smash Journeyman
Falco, cheap? Not even close.

And yeah, people talk a lot of stuff about Melee for life this or that, but it's a hard game to play, and a harder game to win against people who know their stuff, and it's definitely a turnoff to get beat badly by most people you play (in my experience, lol). I'm at roughly the same level of getting beat as you, and I don't know if it's fun, but I do know that most great games are like this, and investing time in playing people is the only way to do it.

It's not a fantastically consoling answer, but keep playing, think about what you can do better in specific situations and see what you make of it.

mzink*

Smash Ace
Thanks guys..

Yeah, I really need to control my nervousness. Its not only smash wise, I get stage fright sometimes, and basically get nervous whenever people are watching me, and tend to do clumsy things.
You just need to get accustomed to having the pressure of people watching you while you compete, that's all. Just keep doing it and gradually you will get more and more used to it and you will be more relaxed. Everyone loses their footing a bit in a new situation, you just keep putting yourself into that situation until it becomes a familiar thing to you. No worries man. Pretty soon you'll be cool and confident.

Top Bottom