• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

My fantasy AI

The Hypnotist

Smash Lord
Get some really good players, not Top Top Professionals and have them play the level 9 AI.

Nintendo needs to higher Wobbles, Gimpyfish, Husband. Some good players that can do the level 9 AI. I wish the AI were more challenging and not just a handicap that doesn't help you practice at all. Seriously, get some great players to do the AI, heck, just get me to do the PEach AI, the level 9 Peach AI is comical. I want the hard AI do be actually hard and I want unlockables for beating REAL hard AI. Maybe retro stages or costume changes, something that the casual players would want, hahaha. But seriously, the AI needs to be more challegning and it's not hard for Nintendo to find some good players to do the AI.

HZ514

Smash Cadet
("Hire") Computers will never by as dynamic or challenging or versatile or so on as even a decent human opponent would be. Unless you have some way to incorporate memory into the AI, it will never be a true challenge to beat the computer. Deal with it...by getting friends to play with. =D

Ogre_Deity_Link

Smash Lord
Get some really good players, not Top Top Professionals and have them play the level 9 AI.

Nintendo needs to higher Wobbles, Gimpyfish, Husband. Some good players that can do the level 9 AI. I wish the AI were more challenging and not just a handicap that doesn't help you practice at all. Seriously, get some great players to do the AI, heck, just get me to do the PEach AI, the level 9 Peach AI is comical. I want the hard AI do be actually hard and I want unlockables for beating REAL hard AI. Maybe retro stages or costume changes, something that the casual players would want, hahaha. But seriously, the AI needs to be more challegning and it's not hard for Nintendo to find some good players to do the AI.
This is why casuals call tourney players tourneytards. It's **** like this. :ohwell:

Icy_Eagle

Smash Journeyman
The AI can easily be improved in a few ways though.
Recovery: Up-b ing towards the stage (mario, sheik for example tend to NOT do so), actually using the up-b to recover (ness, luigi), use more moves to recover (cape, rising pounds, grapple beam etc.), using their mid air jump (sometimes skip it) and sweetspot if possible

Edge tactics: edgehog when the enemy can't make it to the stage, actually edgeguarding instead of being idle, use projectiles, jump after the enemy if it (the cpu) can make it back, use more moves than spikes off the edge (and don't suicide every time they try to)

L-canceling aerials should be no problem for them, shielding, jump canceling shields and shieldgrabbing can't be too difficult to work out for the developers, make them actually use their dash sometimes, along with jump canceling, don't use moves like ox and c.falcon forward-b towards the edge when close to it, tech and walltech

Most of these tweaks and fixes are actually quite easy to put in the game but still improve the cpu quite a bit. It's still nowhere near to human level but definitely improvement.

Exorcist

Smash Journeyman
I don't see this happening at all really.
I do see the AI being smarter in the aspects that they won't do absolutely ******** things like not use UpB to recover when you're super close(Luigi). Or never float EVER(Peach).

But really those aren't hard things to do as real players. As much as I'd like to see lv9 AIs L'canceling, teching, and edgegaurding properly, I think Sakurai won't make the AIs do it. Why? Because he wants to make the game easier in a sense, and I don't think that he'd allow a lv9 Samus use her DoubleDownB recovery trick just for the plain fact that it'll make casual players think that's the only way to play Samus and that it's "zomg hard".

He even said himself on one update that "Some Special moves(B moves) have hidden uses!". Of course we all know he means things along the lines of Mario's Tornado pressed rapidly helps a bit on recovery, Jigglypuff's Pound then tiltUp is like a glide ect. Now do you think Sakurai will just easily SHOW you these things to dumbfound casual players? No, he'll never show them done by AIs in my opinion.

But this is semi disproved by Lv9 AIs powershielding occasionally in Melee. But really though, powershielding isn't anything Special Move related. But hey, neither is L'canceling.

AIs could only get so good anyway. In games like this predicting you're opponent's next move and thinking ahead is the key to victory. Until a game's AI could consistantly learn it's opponent's tactics and movements they'll NEVER EVER EVER be a challenge to anyone at the tournament level.

It is a nice thought though. But all in all I agree with the above poster that said that if you want a challenge, you're not going to find it in offline 1player mode.

Icy_Eagle

Smash Journeyman
I don't see this happening at all really.
But really those aren't hard things to do as real players. As much as I'd like to see lv9 AIs L'canceling, teching, and edgegaurding properly, I think Sakurai won't make the AIs do it. Why? Because he wants to make the game easier in a sense, and I don't think that he'd allow a lv9 Samus use her DoubleDownB recovery trick just for the plain fact that it'll make casual players think that's the only way to play Samus and that it's "zomg hard".

It is a nice thought though. But all in all I agree with the above poster that said that if you want a challenge, you're not going to find it in offline 1player mode.
Why shouldn't it make them go "zomg hard", it is the hardest difficulty and the game can alreasy be made easier by lowering the difficulty settings.

True, human player will always be superior, but it doesn't hurt to improve the AI.

TheSpindoctor

Smash Journeyman
I am sure they will step up the difficulty on the AI, by one method or another, it doesnt matter to me :)

Pyroloserkid

Smash Master
Yeh, there's been threads like this before. Search next time, but anyways...
It'd be sick if there was a mode where you could TRAIN a computer player.

HZ514

Smash Cadet
Pyroloserkid, what are you talking about? Next step: I want the computer to be able to talk to me and for us to be able to carry on a conversation about current events! =P Lols.

It's a shame that smash has to accommodate for the *ahem* "casual" (read: bad) players, because it could be made into a real challenge otherwise. I'd much rather they make a spin off for the less hardcore players where they can have fun being bad so that smash can go the hardcore route. Not my call though, oh well.

(Edit: Whee, typos.)

Exorcist

Smash Journeyman
Pyroloserkid, what are you talking about? Next step: I want the computer to be able to talk to me and for us to be able to carry on a conversation about current events! =P Lols.

It's a shame that smash has to accommodate for the *ahem* "casual" (read: bad) players, because it could be made into a real challenge otherwise. I'd much rather they make a spin off for the less hardcore players where they can have fun being bad so that smash can go the hardcore route. Not my call though, oh well.

(Edit: Whee, typos.)

I play pro too dude, but I have something to input anyhow.

Any game where you could play as a Pikachu, shouldn't be only made for the hardcore gaming crowd...

I see what you're trying to say, but you obviously haven't been on the boards long enough to know that bashing the casuals around here just leads too allllllllllllllllloooooooottttt of trash talking.

ZuluAssassin

Smash Rookie
Wasn't there a Virtua Fighter or something where you could train an AI? But I don't know if you could ever fight it or not....

Pyroloserkid

Smash Master
Are you serious? Oh man.

I didn't mean train them to be HUMAN. I meant they can be like a Ghost like in Mario Kart. You can teach them recovery techniques, combo's, etc.
Are you sure you've never heard of this idea before though? Because threads have been made.

The Hypnotist

Smash Lord
Why don't you do a serch for me and find one with a concept like this one. If it's within the past week or two then my mistake, but I haven;t seen this in awhile (if at all) and I'm hear everyday. Anyways, I wish the oppnents could at least recovery properly. Seriously, Ness, Marth, and Luigi Level 9's don't even recovery right. That just pisses me off.

Ogre_Deity_Link

Smash Lord
Personally, (yes, even as a casual) I think the level 9 AIs are just pathetic. The toughest time I ever had with a level 9 (and not by much mind you) was strangely Link. (Odd again, because I main him...?) Anyways, a tougher AI would be nice. A level 9 SHOULD BE a level 9, not lower.

Witchking_of_Angmar

Smash Lord
Slowly starting to enjoy my mothertongue again. :)
The AI can easily be improved in a few ways though.
Recovery: Up-b ing towards the stage (mario, sheik for example tend to NOT do so), actually using the up-b to recover (ness, luigi), use more moves to recover (cape, rising pounds, grapple beam etc.), using their mid air jump (sometimes skip it) and sweetspot if possible

Edge tactics: edgehog when the enemy can't make it to the stage, actually edgeguarding instead of being idle, use projectiles, jump after the enemy if it (the cpu) can make it back, use more moves than spikes off the edge (and don't suicide every time they try to)

L-canceling aerials should be no problem for them, shielding, jump canceling shields and shieldgrabbing can't be too difficult to work out for the developers, make them actually use their dash sometimes, along with jump canceling, don't use moves like ox and c.falcon forward-b towards the edge when close to it, tech and walltech

Most of these tweaks and fixes are actually quite easy to put in the game but still improve the cpu quite a bit. It's still nowhere near to human level but definitely improvement.
Lvl 9 Marths edgeguard by jumping out and always recover on my game. They don't do it all the time, but sometimes, they jump out with a nair and recover and sweetspot the ledge.

Exorcist:
But this is semi disproved by Lv9 AIs powershielding occasionally in Melee. But really though, powershielding isn't anything Special Move related. But hey, neither is L'canceling.
Powershielding occasionally? It's a rare event when they shield normally. BAsically anything they want to block, they powershield. It's not occasionally, it's extremely common. Happens all the time.

Top Bottom