• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

My Dream Team

Melike

Smash Rookie
A lot of people post with topics like, "Rate My Team", but I've already admitted I don't know what I'm doing, so I'll ask you people before building.

Swampert Water/Ground
Raichu Electric
Ninetales Fire
Lucario Fighting/Steel
Abomasnow Ice/Grass

Now this sixth spot has me confounded. I know I need a flying pokemon, I'm just not sure which one. Should I have Ghost and Flying with Drifblim, what about Dark and Flying with Honchkrow. Maybe I should have a Dragon and Flying with Salamence. If I go for that though, should I have Dragonite instead? Come to think of it, I do have a Rayquaza in my Sapphire version. Maybe I should ditch multiple types and go for Pidgeot or Staraptor. And where does Porygon Z figure in here, he's shiiinnyyyy, *drool*

Well, I'm leaving that with you guys. So generally, is this a good idea, what moves should they have, how do I get them on Pearl etc. Oh, and I have a level 10 Mew on my Sapphire from a Nintendo Event. Maybe I should have him. While I'm here, I'd also like to say that Shellos should totally have been the pre-evolution of Lapras. When I found out it wasn't, I felt ripped off.

Metadour-2

Smash Apprentice
swampert does a kickass job at staying in and dishing out damage. as for team building, i think i can help...lemme not use all those fancy terms lol...

swamperts a wonderful choice. I know people who stick in grass moves just to combat swampert. what you're going to want to do, although it is a tedious process, is get a ditto somewhere, and breed a swampert multiple times...you're going to want a mudkip with a jolly nature. the reason why i say that is swampert has amazing stats...wonderful attack, defense, hp, and special defense, but it's special attack was never worth mentioning in previous games and it's somewhat below average speed lets it down. jolly nature will get rid of that useless special attack stat and boost your speed by 10%, which is gratefully taken.
Now, since his special attack stat is crap, you're gonna want pure physical moves. Earthquake is a given, it gets STAB (Same Type Attack Bonus, which basically means if a move matches the type of the pokemon using it, its' power is multiplied by 1.5) and has great type coverage, scoring many super effective damage hits and hitting hard too. just beware of those flying types and those darn levitators (memorize all pokemon with the ability levitate). if you've seen the move yet, it's called stone edge. that's another wonderful move. it hits for 100 damage and has a high critical hit ratio, which is useful, and has wonderful synergy with ground type moves as it is rock type (which means rock covers all those pokemon that resist ground type and ground does the same for rock). the only let down is that it has 80% accuracy, so if you're not into that you could stick with rock slide (plus it hits two pokemon in double battles). there really aren't any good water moves for swampert to learn, which is dissapointing, but waterfall is deffinitely an option. hammer arm may seem good, and fighting type moves are wonderful for offense, but it lowers speed after use, and with ground and rock type moves whats fighting type really gonna do for you anyway? swampert doesn't have very many supportive moves, but you could always stick with protect provided you have good predictablity. Curse is an option as well, but if your going to run a Curse swampert you shouldn't give a darn about it's speed stat, so i would ditch the jolly nature and throw in a brave (-spd, +atk). Curse will up atk and de, which will increase sweeping capabilities and your long term survivablity. you could also run a rest move with a chesto berry as a hold item, if you please. then again it removes the wonderful leftovers recovery swampert gets with leftovers, so i dunno, it's up to what you want personally. i'm not too up to date with swamperts possiblities in DP, but if it can learn swords dance, DO IT. swamperts best used as a sweeper...that is, eliminate all pokemon that can eliminate swampert, get another teamate (seeing as all good battles are double battles, duh) to do the heavy lifting (i.e. paralysis support, toxic support, putting up reflect or light screen, safe guard, hazing, roaring, etc.) and use those devastaing moves to plug away at pokemon, hopefully scoring OHKO's. one hit knock out, i hope you knew that one lol.
however, swamperts good defenses and hp give it some survivablity, so you shouldn't worry about it getting knocked out too easy unless there's a grass type move on the field or a pokemon setting itself up (for example, a garchomp consistently swords dancing or a gyrados dragon dancing.)

well, that's about all for swampert... i might do the rest for you later, but i gots to study...
i hope i helped a bit, but i really gots to go. wish i could write some more for you. excuse the spelling and grammar mistakes, i was in a rush...

Metadour-2

Smash Apprentice
ok i gots some extra time and i love helpin those i need so lemme continue without overwhelmin you....

oh raichu. sweet sweet raichu. how about no chu? don't use it. it may be a sweet cute litte pokemon we all know and love, but it quite frankly...sux...

consider this. with that swampert we just talked about as an example, it's got wonderful stats...100 hp, 110 attack, 90 defense, 85 special attack but who cares, 90 special defense, and 60 base speed stats. all that leads up to a lvl 100 swampert with (if it has a neutral nature) a max possible stat of 404 hp, 319 atk, 279 de, 269 sa, 279 sd, and 219 spd.

now lets look a raichu.
60hp, 90 at, 55 de, 90 sa, 80 sd, 100 spd. that totals out to maxes of 324 hp, 279 at, 209 de, 216 sa, 259 sd, and 299 spd. swamperts totaled up max stats (that is, the sum of all of his max possible stats.) is 1769. raichu's is 1649.

however, a pokemon's usablity isn't purle on stats. movepool is a huge factor (that is, how many useful and variable moves a pokemon can learn, and you want them to be of varying types), what battle roles it can play(lemme send you a link for this one, it's a lot easier than telling you here but it's VERY IMPORTANT. http://www.psypokes.com/dex/roles.php

it's typing (we want to know what STABs it gets, what types it resists, what it's weak to and how bad it is weak to it, etc. and many other factors as well. raichu doesn't fit the cue for any of those. there are far more useful pokemon to stick in a party than a raichu. hate to crush you bud, but that's the way the cookie crumbles... (as a reminder some of that info in the link i sent you needs updating...so discard things like the fact that shadow ball used to be a physical move, cause it aint now.)

Melike

Smash Rookie
Well, when I posted this, I was ready for disappointment. Raichu is one of my favorite pokemon, and I had to eliminate SandSlash, another favorite of mine. Empoleon is another favorite, and easier to obtain for me, (I already have him :p ) plus he makes for a nice wall, but Swampert's a better choice. As for a replacement for Raichu, hmm...maybe I could solve my flying/electric dillemma by using Zapdos. But then who would take the sixth spot? Maybe Giratina? There are so many choices, which is why you're helping me :)

Problem2

Smash Champion
NNID
Problem0
what? Jolly nature? Why does Swampert want speed? He's a slow mix tank.
(and to break that down for you who are new to competitive pokemon)
- slow = not fast obviously. Attacks second majority of the battle
- mix = uses both special and physical attacks unlike most competitive builds
- tank = inflicts decent amounts of damage, but doesn't take a lot of damage himself

Metadour-2

Smash Apprentice
yeah now that i think about it poblem 2 has got a point. what i think i meant to say was brave nature. (+atk, -spd). as for the mix, i guess you could do that. hydro pump is alright for special, it hits hard but i don't like the accuracy, really. surf is good, just make sure you don't KO your partner.

Melike

Smash Rookie
Lucario moveset

What I'm looking at right now is Lucario's moveset. Lucario has a wonderful move pool, which is what makes him so great, and I don't want to waste that. What moveset do you guys think would be best?

Edit:
Speaking of movepools, I happen to have a Mew from an October Toys'R'Us giveaway in my Sapphire version. It's a standard level 10 that knows Pound and Transform. What do I do?

Edit 2:
Okay, I was thinking maybe Spiritomb for Ghost/Dark, and Zapdos for Flying/Electric. What do you guys think?

Top Bottom