• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

my doc...questions...many

DaBRÜM

Smash Apprentice
Alright...i play doc as a main and i have a few questions to ask about just about everything i have a great mentor on smash(Dreadlord santa) but playing a marth he can't give me the help that a doc needs...i need the help of a ACTUAL doc

Questions:

1. Who would a great secondary player be that counters most of docs main threats?(Space animals, sheik, and ice climbers are out of the question)

2. What stage should i ban against who?

3. Who are my main threats as doc?

4. What should be my main counterpick stage?

5. What position am i most in command at?

6. Other techniques for the win...

I will once again state I have a mentor for the game in general so i know almost all advanced techniques that i need as doc but more are always welcomed to be taught...You can also post your videos here that you believe would be beneficial to help me...

Gea

Smash Master
1. There aren't any. I'll go on and answer 3 while doing this one. Basically Marth, then to a lesser extent Peach and Falcon, then Jiggs, spacies, and Sheik. He has some advantages on spacies, but spacies are still just too good. With that in mind pretty much picking up any top tier would really help you, seeing as all of top can somewhat handle Marth.

2. That's a big list and also answers your counterpick stage question... 4. Its all character dependant and I'm not really going down the list. Just remember to NOT take marth to platformed stages and avoid DreamLand 64 like the plague against everyone except maybe Falco.

5. This is true for all characters... Its when your opponent is pressured into making mistakes. You have to find a style that allows you to take command.

6. Look around the board/FAQs.

SuiteFox

Smash Cadet
Dont get grabbed. Pill and wavedash, jump sometimes, in a random sequence. Chaingrab(up at low percentages, down at higher ones). Your sheet is amazing learn how to use it..and look at Cyphus' thread.

-PM-

Smash Ace
4. A lot of it depends on what you preference is and what character your going against. I normally pick FD because im good at getting back and i like edge guarding but it mainly depends what you like or what your playing style is.

WhatIsPie?

Smash Apprentice
Alright...i play doc as a main and i have a few questions to ask about just about everything i have a great mentor on smash(Dreadlord santa) but playing a marth he can't give me the help that a doc needs...i need the help of a ACTUAL doc

Questions:

1. Who would a great secondary player be that counters most of docs main threats?(Space animals, sheik, and ice climbers are out of the question)I'm a Doc purist, so I can't help you.

2. What stage should i ban against who?Dreamland N64 in general. Against CF, large stages like FD. Stages w/o edges such as Mute City. Avoid corners and low ceilings against foxes.

3. Who are my main threats as doc?Marth is my biggest trouble. That range, priority and disjointed hitbox really hurts. Most of the people here seem to have trouble with him as well.

4. What should be my main counterpick stage?Stages with nearby death corners against people with long recoveries. Small stages such as FoD and Yoshi's story are pretty good against CF. FD against most characters. Here it will be an even playing field.

5. What position am i most in command at?

6. Other techniques for the win...Chain grab. Bair edgeguarding. Those are my favorite techniques.

I will once again state I have a mentor for the game in general so i know almost all advanced techniques that i need as doc but more are always welcomed to be taught...You can also post your videos here that you believe would be beneficial to help me...
My response is in red.

Bullet Bill

Smash Master
try final destination as a good dr mario stage. I'ts great for pills and chaingrabbing. Chaingrabbing is a great technique to learn to be honest and it's fairly easy wonce you get into the rythem.

DaBRÜM

Smash Apprentice
Alright thanks guys, but i never seam to play against ppl that i CAN chaingrab...the people i play with play as marth and young link and DK so i havnt gotton much practice except against computers in which that is a horrible way to practice chaingrabbing due to there lack of DI...but thanks for the answers to my other questions...

BRÜM

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
Alright thanks guys, but i never seam to play against ppl that i CAN chaingrab...the people i play with play as marth and young link and DK so i havnt gotton much practice except against computers in which that is a horrible way to practice chaingrabbing due to there lack of DI...but thanks for the answers to my other questions...

BRÜM
You can actually chaingrab DK.

And CPUs do DI, you just have to practice against lvl 1 cpus or training-evade computers. The only thing that you wont be able to really practice is a change in DI (like DI left 1 throw, then right the next). but you can practice the timing, coordination of JC grabs, and linking to stuff out of your chaingrabs.

Bullet Bill

Smash Master

BRÜM
Like Dogy said, CPU's don't DI perfectly but they're still good practice as the rythem is all important in chaingrabbing.

DaBRÜM

Smash Apprentice
Yea, the change in DI is my main problem...my cousin plays falco sometimes so i get a little practice against him...but i still cant successfully use JC grabs, and my multi is marth so that is a problem...

-PM-

Smash Ace
Yea, the change in DI is my main problem...my cousin plays falco sometimes so i get a little practice against him...but i still cant successfully use JC grabs, and my multi is marth so that is a problem...
well heres a hint holding down is a bad thing lol dont get used to it i did and now i get owned alot lol

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Against a marth, it's imperative that you force him to approach you instead of you to him. Pill him to death till he begins his approach and try for a grab to start up a nice combo. A good marth will beat you into submission if you try and approach him with Doc's stubby arms and legs and will result in an early death.

DaBRÜM

Smash Apprentice
haha matador...that was hilarious...it made me laugh quite a bit...and yes...i have learned that over and pver as my closest smash player plays marth quite well...

Top Bottom