• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

My custom moveset analyses (Recently added: Ike)

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
I wasn't expecting Lucario to get his P:M Uspec (3). Nice.

Last edited:

epicgordan

Smash Ace
Is Link done? I am very curious about his up special and neutral special variants.
Link: Goron Tunic, Zora Tunic, Blue Ring, Red Mail, Dark Link, Skyloft Link, Fierce Diety Link
Neutral: Hero's Bow > Power Bow > Rapid Fire Bow
Side: Gale Boomerang > Boomerang > Slice Boomerang
Up: Spin Attack > Electric Slash > Spin Jump
Down: Bomb > Huge Bomb > Meteor Bomb
Final Smash: Triforce Slash

Power Bow causes far greater damage and knockback, but takes longer to charge and doesn't go as far. Rapid Fire Bow, meanwhile, doesn't take very long at all to charge, though it's damage intake is minimal.

Boomerang is just like Toon Link's default move, while Slice Boomerang adds a supposedly electrical variant to the Gale Boomerang.

Electric Slash seems to be the Power Recovery while Spin Jump is the Distance-based variant.

And Huge Bomb and Meteor Bomb? The former covers a much larger radius but not as much damage, while the latter adds a spike mechanic to the default bomb.

Indeed, his custom moves are drastically different from Toon Link's. Anyways, I'd probably go with 3, 2, 1, 3 with my Link.

Lozjam

Smash Champion
Link: Goron Tunic, Zora Tunic, Blue Ring, Red Mail, Dark Link, Skyloft Link, Fierce Diety Link
Neutral: Hero's Bow > Power Bow > Rapid Fire Bow
Side: Gale Boomerang > Boomerang > Slice Boomerang
Up: Spin Attack > Electric Slash > Spin Jump
Down: Bomb > Huge Bomb > Meteor Bomb
Final Smash: Triforce Slash

Power Bow causes far greater damage and knockback, but takes longer to charge and doesn't go as far. Rapid Fire Bow, meanwhile, doesn't take very long at all to charge, though it's damage intake is minimal.

Boomerang is just like Toon Link's default move, while Slice Boomerang adds a supposedly electrical variant to the Gale Boomerang.

Electric Slash seems to be the Power Recovery while Spin Jump is the Distance-based variant.

And Huge Bomb and Meteor Bomb? The former covers a much larger radius but not as much damage, while the latter adds a spike mechanic to the default bomb.

Indeed, his custom moves are drastically different from Toon Link's. Anyways, I'd probably go with 3, 2, 1, 3 with my Link.
Thanks. Does huge bomb cause more knockback? And I think I will go 3, 3, 1, 3 with my Link. It's awesome Link gets a projectile meteor smash!

epicgordan

Smash Ace
Thanks. Does huge bomb cause more knockback? And I think I will go 3, 3, 1, 3 with my Link. It's awesome Link gets a projectile meteor smash!
I think huge bomb, if anything, causes more damage and covers a wider radius, but not as much knockback as a tradeoff. Kind of like Monado Buster vs. Monado Smash with Shulk. Actually, I imagine Meteor Bomb having the inverse effects to Huge Bomb while the default Bomb is the medium between the two.

Lozjam

Smash Champion
I think huge bomb, if anything, causes more damage and covers a wider radius, but not as much knockback as a tradeoff. Kind of like Monado Buster vs. Monado Smash with Shulk. Actually, I imagine Meteor Bomb having the inverse effects to Huge Bomb while the default Bomb is the medium between the two.
Ah, makes sense. Definitely using the meteor bomb

Raijinken

Smash Master
Maybe you should get some other people to help you with the project. Might help it go faster. Can probably also find people to help translate the custom move names instead of having to come up with your own names for them.

JoeInky

Smash Apprentice
NNID
JoeInky
3DS FC
4596-9442-7695
Can you update your list please?
I will do, it's just that these things take much longer than people expect, you have to spend however many hours it takes to unlock them all for a character, take passable screenshots and upload them to imgur via some horrible 3DS upload site, then you have to spend a good hour or two testing them in a training mode that isn't really that good for training.

Maybe you should get some other people to help you with the project. Might help it go faster. Can probably also find people to help translate the custom move names instead of having to come up with your own names for them.
Eh, I like doing things at my own pace on my own time, if people are too impatient to know the basics of what they are, I'm sure there's a list of them all out there by now, just not anything as in-depth.

Anyway,

Metaknight
This time, it's Metaknight, who should be completely banned from all tournaments because his custom moves are so broken!

Or not, he got a nerf from his old Brawl days, but I'm not too clued up on certain aspects of his specials in Brawl due to rarely playing him, so I may not have as much information on his changes, more just what we have now.

Neutral Special 1 (Mach Tornado)

Metaknight rapidly spins around, creating a damaging tornado, doing 1% damage a hit and putting you into special fall afterwards.

You can keep tapping B to increases the duration of the move as well as use it to gain height, it lasts about a second at it's shortest and does 8% damage if all hits connect, whereas tapping the button makes it last 2 seconds and can do a total of 22% damage depending on whether all the hits connect and how fast you press the button, but it can do as low as 10% if you tap too slowly.

The last hit does increased vertical knockback, but it's not able to kill Samus until around 180%

Metaknight has reduced control during the move, but he can still use it to get around and it will beat out low-priority moves or projectiles that do low amounts of damage (it will destroy a Homing Missile but not a Super Missile).

Neutral Special 2 (Mach Vortex)

Metaknight spins around, pulling people close to him into the tornado for a single, more powerful hit.

Like the previous one, you can rapidly tap B to increase the duration, but Metaknight's horizontal control is massively reduced during the move and if you use it in the air Metaknight doesn't seem to be able to rise as much, though using it grounded seems the same as the default.

The single hit does 9% damage and better vertical knockback than the default one, being able to kill Samus off the top of the screen at 150%.

Everything else about the move seems the same, other than the fact that it seems to have higher priority, able to beat out Homing Missiles and Super Missiles rather than just the former (though it's still not enough to beat a fully powered charge beam).

Neutral Special 3 (Heavy Mach Tornado)

This is a harder hitting version of the default Mach Tornado, but you lose the ability to gain any vertical height and tapping the button doesn't increase the duration.

The move will do 13-14% damage if all hits connect and the final hit has better knockback than the default Mach Tornado, it's sends them both a further distance and at a more diagonal angle, which is better in this game as vertical kills are much harder than horizontal ones for most characters.

This variation can kill Samus at around 130%, so it's not that much better as a kill move, but it is a bit better as an edgeguard setup, though the knockback is still a bit too vertical for that really.

The endlag on this move is also considerably larger, so you really have to make sure you're actually going to hit with it.

Everything else about the move seems the same, other than the priority which seems equivalent to Mach Vortex.

Side Special 1 (Drill Rush)

Metaknight spins forward, travelling halfway across battlefield. His flight trajectory is controlled via the stick, though the turning circle is quite high, so you'll never be able to go in the complete opposite direction.

The move is multihit, doing 1% damage a hit until the final hit which does 3% and increased diagonal knockback (though not really enough to make it a kill move, only killing Samus at around 170%), making for a total of around 11% damage, if all the connects hit - which seems to be much harder this time around unless you start angling Metaknight slightly diagonally after the first hit, otherwise he just seems to do 2 hits then go through them.

The move is useful for carrying someone off stage with you, but it still puts you into special fall so I wouldn't do it too far off the edge.

It has the same properties as the Mach Tornado, being able to beat out low priority moves and projectiles.

Side Special 2 (Speed Drill)

A faster variant that lacks the ability to control the trajectory, but the distance traveled is slightly larger and although the damage stays the same (1% a hit, 3% on the final hit), the knockback is greatly reduced, not able to kill Samus until around 275%.

Due to the fact that it's horizontal only, it's a bit harder to land all hits and get the 11% of damage, so I'm unsure as to what the advantage of this custom might be, it seems weaker other than the fact that he moves faster whilst using it, and that isn't particularly noteworthy.

Side Special 3 (Breaker Drill)

Metaknight's "shield breaker" variant, I say shield breaker in quotation marks because, due to what I believe is a pretty big flaw in the Smash 4 engine, this move won't actually be breaking any shields, not when used against anyone competent, atleast.

See, Smash 4 seems to have either 0 or very little shieldstun in this game, you can just drop your shield or roll pretty much any time you please and, because this is a multihit shield breaker, the person you used it on would need to stand still and hold the R button and not realise what the move was doing to get hit by it.

Nobody is going to stand there and have their shield broken rather than just roll away or drop their shield and eat the much more preferable damage and low knockback, so I highly question the point of this move

When not failing to break shields, the move has the exact same properties as the default Drill Rush, though it travels slightly less distance than it and the knockback is much lower as it can't kill Samus until 290%.

Up Special 1 (Shuttle Loop)

This move is probably the most changed from Brawl due to the removal of the glide mechanic, Metaknight does a rising loop-de-loop that consists of 2 hits that seem to always combo each other below reasonable percentages (they combo'd at 300%, not much point testing after that, at some point they stop comboing and the first hit kills though, as that happened at 999%).

The first hit does 9% and the second does 6% and decent vertical knockback, the startup is incredibly quick and the knockback can kill Samus off the top at ~135%, so it's a pretty powerful move, though without the glide you're now limited with your horizontal recovery as it is mostly vertical, use drill rush instead if you're too far away.

The move has no other extraordinary properties such as super armour, so I guess that's all there is too say about it.

Up Special 2 (Shuttle Flight)

The startup on the move has increased, but the angle you travel at is much more horizontal, meaning you can cover more distance with it.

Each hit does 1% less damage, leaving for a total of 13%, the knockback is more horizontal though, meaning you can kill at lower percents (killed Samus at 125%) and it can be used to carry someone off stage, though don't use it too close to the ledge, the move still puts you into special fall and there'll be no way of making it back.

Up Special 3 (Shuttle Dive)

For this custom, Metaknight sacrifices a guaranteed second hit for a more powerful second hit and increased vertical height.

He jumps much slower upwards this time around, then slowly dives and sharply turns back up to fly higher, it's very similar to the default except that it doesn't have the initial hit anymore, only the second one remains which now does 9% damage (though it degrades to ~4% if you hit them later on in the attack) and kills at the same percentage as the default..

Everything else about the move seems to be equivalent to the default, it's just a much better recovery option that's harder to KO with.

Down Special 1 (Dimensional Cape)

Metaknight disappears for a moment and reappears in the direction the stick is held. If you press B just before he reappears (or if you simply hold the shield or B button), Metaknight will perform a slash as he reappears that does 15-16% damage and does diagonal knockback that can kill around 135%

It will travel just over a quarter of the distance of Battlefield in whatever direction you hold, so it can be used to recover slightly like every one of Metaknight's specials, and it will put you into special fall, just like every one of his specials.

You're obviously invincible to projectiles and attacks whilst you've disappeared, as there's nothing there to hit, but the endlag is pretty high so you shouldn't really be using it as a dodge.

Down Special 2 (Dimensional Breaker)

I'm pretty sure that this custom is supposed to be a shield breaker move, it does less damage (10%) in multiple hits, travels the same distance and has higher end lag, so based on this and the visual effects of the move, I'm just going to assume this move has shieldbreaker properties, but getting the CPU to just shield in this game is very hard, so maybe anyone else out there has some more info for me, it seems like that must be what it does because otherwise it has no upside whatsoever.

Down Special 3 (Dimensional Teleport)

This variation lets you control Metaknight practically uninhibited as he phases through the air, the travel distance is increased to halfway across Battlefield and the damage is increased to 17%, but now that Metaknight is a visible blur, you're no longer invincible to projectiles and attacks.

It's also impossible to cut the attack short and instantly slash, you have to wait the full one and a half seconds before the slash and you're vulnerable the whole time as you can't do anything other than move, so watch out for that as getting hit will interrupt the move.

There is also a small push back effect if you control the blur towards people, but it's only minor, everything else seem to be the same.

Final Thoughts

The shieldbreaker moves were very disappointing due to lack of shield stun in the game, I thought they'd be fun moves to use but everytime I hit someone who was shielded, they'd just roll out the way and take the damage instead, you have to really catch someone sleeping to break anyone's shield with that thing, maybe the Dimensional Breaker is better at it but I'm not convinced.

Otherwise the customs are pretty average, they don't really fill any extra roles Metaknight was unable to do before, it's mainly just "different type of recovery", "faster but less damage custom" etc. etc. not particularly interesting if you ask me.
I have 3 more characters with all moves unlocked and with screenshots of them all, just waiting for the writeup. So I hopefully should be able to add another 3 characters to the list tonight.

evildevil97

Smash Apprentice
NNID
evildevil97
Just want to say, thanks for doing this. Looking forward to reading the rest of these.

Mettie7

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Mettie7
3DS FC
2191-8121-7929
AAAAHHHHHHH META KNIGHT, thanks

NNID
TheSir24
3DS FC
2191-8079-5484
I must say I really enjoy these analyses. They're to the point, they don't use complicated terms and you get a pretty clear idea of what the move does in a couple paragraphs. Also the pictures are nice. Keep them coming, I really appreciate your effort! :D

JoeInky

Smash Apprentice
NNID
JoeInky
3DS FC
4596-9442-7695
Mr. Game & Watch
Beep Boop, it's Mr. Game & Watch! Who is probably the only thing cooler than ROB and probably my favourite newcomer in Melee because I actually knew what a Game & Watch and owned several, unlike the majority of people that were my age at the time.

And he has a new walk animation where his head faces the opposite direction, as if looking at some invisible falling wrench, it's so "game and watch"-y it's just brilliant.

Neutral Special 1 (Chef)

Mr. Game & Watch flings sausages, various fish and steak from a frying pan with random horizontal and vertical speed, you can throw 5 consecutively before having to wait for a short delay before more can be thrown.

Each food item does 4% damage and minor hitstun but barely any knockback, and you can hit people with the frying pan itself for 5% damage (they'll also be hit by whatever food comes out at the same time and take the extra 4% for a total of 9%) and increased horizontal knockback.

Neutral Special 2 (Iron Chef)

Mr. Game and Watch is cooking up some very large ingredients this time around, he might not be able to throw them as fast or as far, but they cover a bigger portion of the screen and do more damage, with the fish doing 7%, the steaks doing 8% and the sausages doing 9% (they also do slightly more knockback). Though hitting people with the frying pan only does 2% for this custom.

They have slower horizontal speed though, so they don't go very far, though they do go quite high up first.

Neutral Special 3 (Fast Food Chef)

This time, he's cooking much quicker than the default, though you do have to worry about whether the food is actually fully cooked or not, because they don't do as much damage, only 1% for the fish and 2% for the steak and sausages, the pan also only does 1% so it can't be very hot either.

Mr. Game & Watch's range is a bit long with this version, as they don't have as much vertical speed and therefore won't make big arcing paths into the sky.

Side Special 1 (Judge)

Mr. Game and Watch lays his judgement upon you, his verdict? "2/9, would not KO".

This move has him swinging his hammer and choosing a random number between 1 and 9, with the number determining damage, knockback and any other side effects.

A 1 will inflict 12% damage on yourself whilst only doing 2% to an enemy and no hitstun.

The 2 has a chance to cause a trip and only does 4% damage.

3 will do 6% damage and knock the opponent towards you. Also, if it's anything like Brawl, it will also deal a large amount of shield damage.

The 4 slashes the enemy for 8% damage and knocks them diagonally away from you.

A 5 is a multihit electrical attack that does a total of 12% damage if all 4 hits connect.

The 6 will burn the enemy and do 12% damage and minor knockback.

A lucky 7 will do 14% damage, small knockback and spawn an apple that can be eaten to recover 4% health.

An 8 will only do 9% damage but it freezes, potentially setting you up for another hit, if their percentage is high enough.

The rare 9 will do a massive 32% damage and is capable of killing Samus from the center of Battlefield at as low as 20%

In previous games, once you got one number, you couldn't get that number again for the next two uses, to try to make the move have more variance, but in smash 4, it's completely random (I got four 5's in a row).

Side Special 2 (Hyperbolic Judge)

This judge only deals in extremes, everything is either a 1 or a 9, the 1 does less damage to you (5% instead of 12%) and more damage to the opponent (5% instead of 2) as well as having hitstun and knockback, but the 9 has been nerfed, with only 23% damage and knockback that, whilst still significant, won't KO Samus until around 30%.

The chance of getting a 1 or a 9 definitely isn't 50-50 from what I can tell, the 1 has more weight, but you can still get many multiple of both numbers, I got four 9's in a row once.

Side Special 3 (Multi Judge)

This time, instead of each number having different effects, they all do mostly the same thing - hit the number of times it says on the board with the final hit being a different amount of damage and higher knockback.

You hit with a 1 - 1. Total 1%
You hit with a 2 - 3, 2. Total 5%
You hit with a 3 - 3, 3, 3. Total 9%
You hit with a 4 - 3, 3, 3, 2. Total 11%
You hit with a 5 - 3, 3, 3, 3, 3. Total 15%
You hit with a 6 - 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 2. Total 17%
You hit with a 7 - 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 4. Total 22%
You hit with an 8 - 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 5. Total 26%
You hit with a 9 - 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 10. Total 34%

The 1 is the only number that does no hitstun or knockback and the 9 has less KO power, being similar to the second side special and only being able to kill Samus at 30% (at the start of the move, the extra damage caused by the move before the final hit helps the KO obviously).

Though I imagine the move can be SDI'd out of, the move is still pretty damn satisfying to use.

Up Special 1 (Fire)

Two firemen launch Mr G&W into the sky, causing 6% damage and minor horizontal knockback (that can only just kill at 300%) to anyone he hits on the way up.

On the way down, he gets out a parachute that slows his descent, and it can be cancelled into an aerial by pressing an attack input or just a fall by pressing down.

It takes him quite high - just above G&W's height above the top platform on Battlefield - but there's not much else to say about this move.

Up Special 2 (Heavy Fire)

This time, he doesn't get sent quite as high (he's only just able to get on the top platform on Battlefield), but he does more damage and has a sweetspot at the start of the jump, causing 16% damage if you hit them at the start and 10% anywhere else. The sweetspot does higher, more diagonal knockback than the default version and is able to kill Samus at 145%

Everything else about the move seems the same.

Up Special 3 (High Fire)

This variation makes his recovery act very similarly to how it did in Melee, except for the fact that it doesn't put you in special fall. Mr Game and Watch doesn't use his parachute anymore, so you can perform aerials quicker than you could in the default.

It doesn't have a hitbox on the way up anymore, though it does have a small one during the startup that does 12% and decent vertical knockback.

At mid percentages, the vertical knockback and quicker aerials mean that you can combo it into a Dair or Nair, etc and at higher percentages, it can KO quite easily (able to kill Samus at 120%).

Down Special 1 (Oil Panic)

Pressing the input will have G&W pull out a bucket, holding the input will keep it there.

Whilst held you can also direct him left or right to face any projectiles coming from different angles.

Anyway the crux of this move is that it lets you absorb energy-based projectiles (Fireball, Thunder Jolt, PK Thunder, etc), store them, and then throw them back at people with increased damage and knockback.

This move was actually annoyingly hard to figure out just how exactly it works (due to a mistake on my part), but when you use it on a projectile, if it does 6% or less damage, it fills up one level, 12% or less (but more than 6%) fills up 2 levels and anything more than that fills up three.

Each bucket level is only able to store a max of 6% from the projectile it absorbs, so absorbing a fully charged Charge Beam that does 25% will absorb three levels of 6%, but 2 uncharged Charge Beams and then a fully charged on will only absorb 3, 3, 6. making it a total of 12%

So the former will return the full possible amount (45%) and the latter will do only 30%.

The main reason this took so long is because I started testing it with Fireballs, thinking they could only do 4% damage when actually they sometimes do 5%, which screwed everything up and ended up giving me a headache.

Down Special 2 (Shallow Bucket)

For this variation, any projectile will automatically fill the bucket, but it will always do 10% minimum and caps at 24% (seems to have a 1.3x multiplier I'd guess then, if each level only represents 6%). The range of the oil projectile is also much shorter.

The range of the bucket also seems larger, able to suck in projectiles quite far in front and behind you.

Down Special 3 (Long Range Bucket)

This seems to have the exact same damage multiplier and damage caps, except the range is larger and the move in general is slower, more lag on all aspects of it and the oil travels slower, I think I must be missing something with this one but I've got too much of a headache to bother with it now, I was not expecting to get so caught up in Oil Panic.

Final Thoughts

Damned Oil Panic!

Anyway, Judge customs are really cool and super satisfying, though I prefer the Multi Judge to the Hyperbolic one, the number of hits it does on a 9 (9, to be exact) feels really good, though I can imagine people will get some fun out of the all or nothing style 1or9 judge.

The rest is pretty standard, larger and more damage but slower projectiles and faster but less damaging ones, high recoveries, low recoveries that do high damage.

I do like the custom that makes his recovery like the one in Melee though, just because the vertical knockback makes it easy to link it into other aerials.
Mr. Game and Watch took longer than I anticipated due to getting confused about Oil Panic, I really don't have the patience right now for the other two characters I said I had pictures ready for, but I'll definitely have them up tomorrow.

Last edited:

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
Mr. Game & Watch

Mr. Game and Watch took longer than I anticipated due to getting confused about Oil Panic, I really don't have the patience right now for the other two characters I said I had pictures ready for, but I'll definitely have them up tomorrow.
Sweet, would you mind telling me what two characters you will show tomorrow? Or will you keep it as a surprise?

Because personally the ones I'm looking forward to the most are Wario, King Dedede, and Luigi.

Last edited:

Whiteface

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheRealWhiteface
I must say I really enjoy these analyses. They're to the point, they don't use complicated terms and you get a pretty clear idea of what the move does in a couple paragraphs. Also the pictures are nice. Keep them coming, I really appreciate your effort! :D
I second your statement sir. However i just wanted to take an off topic moment to say i really appreciate your name.

Mettie7

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Mettie7
3DS FC
2191-8121-7929
I think the ratio for G&W Side Special 2 (Hyperbolic Judge) is 2:1 for 1s and 9s respectively

CosmicGlitch

Smash Apprentice
a lot of my mains have been hit and miss for me so im hoping duckhunt dog has some great ones. granted havnt played him vanilla yet either

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
Those Judge Customs just might be my favorite ones so far. Hyperbolic Time Chamber Hammer in particular is one of the most ridiculous ideas yet, can't wait to try and cheese my way to victory every Game & Watch game hehe.

Also, thanks once again Joe, these are amazing and you're a beast for pumping these out like this. We will not forget your contributions to science this community.

a lot of my mains have been hit and miss for me so im hoping duckhunt dog has some great ones. granted havnt played him vanilla yet either
Yeah, it's somewhat disappointing that a lot of them didn't get more effort. It is clear they did not intend to spend an incredible amount of time on them, which is probably for the best anyhow. What we got probably took quite a while in itself. I'll be sure to try them all out for myself when the time comes regardless though.

Also, on the previous page I posted a DHD video with all his custom moves. :) (Not created by me)

Last edited:

espio87

Smash Ace
I don't understand the Multi Judge variant. You must hit the oponent the number of times it says on the board or the hammer hits them that many times?
Anyways, happy to hear the old Fire from melee is back. And a question about Ness, could you tell us if he says "PK Freeze" when you change the PK Flash or he still uses the same sound clip?

Last edited:

smashbrolink

Smash Journeyman
Ah, makes sense. Definitely using the meteor bomb
TBH, that meteor bomb, depending on the strength of the effect, sounds like it's going to be utterly broken and likely banned from tournaments as a result.XD

I think I'll experiment with the different spin attack variants, but I'm definitely going with the Electric Boomerang for my side B choice, since it sounds like it might do damage on return as well as a gale effect and more hitstun.

I'm looking forward to a better exposition on Link's moves; this doesn't sound like it was researched for very long.

Rakurai

Smash Ace
I wanted to point out that first Dimensional Cape custom for Metaknight doesn't break shields, but simply ignores them in the same fashion that Mac's second Jolt Haymaker custom does.

You also might want to note that Game and Watch's first Fire custom has invincibility frames up until the top of his jump, which makes it an even better anti-air move then the other versions.

Last edited:

CosmicGlitch

Smash Apprentice
I don't understand the Multi Judge variant. You must hit the oponent the number of times it says on the board or the hammer hits them that many times?
Anyways, happy to hear the old Fire from melee is back. And a question about Ness, could you tell us if he says "PK Freeze" when you change the PK Flash or he still uses the same sound clip?
from what iv heard he says PK Freeze

Edit: just realized all of my mains have been posted holla. i cant wait to see shulk though curious about his neutral b maybe just in a diffrent order? or more of a buff for a certain one with a huge nerf to the rest idk we will see

Last edited:

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
from what iv heard he says PK Freeze

Edit: just realized all of my mains have been posted holla. i cant wait to see shulk though curious about his neutral b maybe just in a diffrent order? or more of a buff for a certain one with a huge nerf to the rest idk we will see
Shulk's customs have been slowly showing up elsewhere. One neutral B extends the duration of his buffs but doesn't let you cancel them early, and another increases their magnitude at the cost of duration.

JoeInky

Smash Apprentice
NNID
JoeInky
3DS FC
4596-9442-7695
Sorry, the hammer hits the opponent that number of times, 9 on the board = 9 hits total and ues, he does say PK Freeze.

I wanted to point out that first Dimensional Cape custom for Metaknight doesn't break shields, but simply ignores them in the same fashion that Mac's second Jolt Haymaker custom does.

You also might want to note that Game and Watch's first Fire custom has invincibility frames up until the top of his jump, which makes it an even better anti-air move then the other versions.
Thanks for the info, it's hard to test some of these properties, I'll add it when I get the chance.

Bowser Jr./Koopalings
The first of today's 2 mushroom kingdom denizens, Bowser Jr. (+Koopa Kids) is a really great addition to smash and I've wanted them since the Ninka/Vaanrose leak, the way they were described was just too brilliant for it not to be true, and they're even better in game than I imagined.

Neutral Special 1 (Steely Cannon)

The Koopa Clown Car (KCC from now on) opens up it's mouth and extends a cannon, charging until you either release the button or it reaches full charge, at which point it will shoot out a large metal ball.

The travel distance and initial damage are determined by how much you charge the move, with the damage degrading as the ball travels.

At close range, it will do 7% uncharged and 18% fully charged, the ball will travel straight for the most part until it reaches it's max range where it will drop like a, well, like a steel ball really.

As it travels, the damage goes down to 4% uncharged and 13% full charged, once the ball hits someone or hits the ground, it will bounce once but it will no longer have a hitbox.

If it doesn't hit anyone and starts falling, it will still keep the hitbox until it reaches ground, so you could use it to edgeguard below the stage line, though it's not particularly good at it.

The uncharged distance is just under halfway across Battlfield and the fully charged distance is just under the entire length of Battlefield, hitting a projectile with the ball will destroy the other projectile but cause the ball to instantly start dropping, regardless of whether or not it's travelled the full range yet.

Neutral Special 2 (Piercing Steely

This version of the move seems to have the exact same stats as the other move, but the metal balls will do less damage and pierce.

Uncharged starts at 4% and degrades to 2% whereas a full charge does 10% and degrades to 5%.

Unfortunately it will still fall if it hits a projectile, so it doesn't seem to have much application in a 1v1 setting.

Neutral Special 3 (Vortex Cannon)

This custom trades damage for a pushback effect.

The range isn't as large as the default, going just over halfway across Battlefield at full charge and just over a third at minimum charge.

The pushback effect is pretty standard, but I'm not really a fan of these moves, if you prefer this sort of thing then this is the move for you.

Side Special 1 (Koopa Clown Kart)

The KCC sprouts little wheels, backs up a little bit and then drives full speed ahead, doing 4% damage to anyone it hits, at the end of the travel distance (which is just over the entire length of Battlefield), the KCC will spin out, doing 12% damage and skidding about a quarter of the way across battlefield.

From the moment the KCC starts moving forward, it can be cancelled into one of two things; a jump or a spin out. Pressing the jump input will result in a jump (which allows for some interestingly spaced aerials considering it moves you a bit back first and you keep the momentum of the KCC travelling forward) and pressing either back, B, A or Grab will cause it to spin.

You can also press forward whilst driving to increase your travel speed and increase your distance a bit.

The knockback from the initial part of the move is vertical, and you can basically hit confirm it into jump cancelled aerial(s) at low to mid percentages, whereas the spin out does horizontal knockback that is much higher, able to kill Samus at 125%.

This move is such an incredibly versatile part of Bowser Jr.s moveset it's not funny, it's a KO move, a combo starter, a fake out tool, it's insane and you'll have to get used to seeing a lot of Bowser Jr. players use this move quite often I think.

Side Special 2 (Super Spin Kart)

The KCC retains all the same abilities as the previous move, but it moves slower, travels less distance, the jump cancels don't send you up as high, it does less damage whilst travelling BUT, the spin out has been turned into a multihit move.

The initial drive will only do 2% now and the spin out will do 9% if all hits connect, the final hit does increased horizontal knockback, but it has much less KO power than the default, so I think this move ends up being a downgrade overall, unless there's some other property I'm forgetting (maybe the multihit means it eats through shields?)

Ah, it seems that if you spin out in midair, you'll barely lose any vertical height, so it could be useful if you need a better horizontal recovery.

Side Special 3 (Koopa Clown Steamroller)

This time, the KCC winds back a little further, travels faster (and can't be slowed down by not holding forward), does no damage on the spin, can't jump cancel as high, does no damage when used in the air and only goes as far as the second Side Special.

But this custom will bury anyone it touches in the ground if both players are grounded, doing 8% damage and setting them up for another attack.

Up Special 1 (Emergency Eject)

Bowser Jr. ejects himself from the KCC, causing it to come crashing to the ground with a forceful explosion, the KCC will do 5% on contact and the explosion will do 13% and decent diagonal knockback that kills Samus around 135%.

Whilst in the air, Bowser Jr. can swing a little hammer around that does 15% damage and can kill Samus around 115%, so he's almost just as good without the KCC as he is with it! Though getting hit won't refresh your recovery, so be weary of getting carried off the stage.

When he returns to the ground (with very little ending lag), a new KCC will spawn out of nowhere, he must really go through these things, and they can't be cheap to make!

Up Special 2 (Meteor Crash)

In this variation, travel height is sacrificed in favour of a Meteor Smash during the startup of the move.

It only does 3% on collision and 10% with the explosion, and the distance you travel is just over half as much, but the fact that it's a meteor smash more than makes up for it imo, just don't forget that this move is also your recovery and end up going too deep.

You can still swing your hammer whilst airborne and it doesn't actually seem to be any different to the default one, doing 15% damage and decent knockback so no nerfs here to compensate by the looks of things.

Up Special 3 (Explosive Launch)

For this one, the KCC flies up with you for the first part of the move, exploding at the apex and sending whoever is inside crashing down to the ground.

You do 17% damage on your way down and significant knockback that's able to kill Samus around 135%, which is off the top as the knockback is vertical, so that is pretty high knockback.

You can cancel the downwards attack into a hammer by pressing the A button, which means you don't travel down so fast and can actually get a bit of horizontal distance out of it, otherwise it's much harder to use as a recovery as it must be done below the ledge, if you're not near enough you'll be sent straight down.

Also worth nothing is that you can't grab the ledge on the way up, only on the way down, so make sure you get the timing right with this otherwise it's going to be very easy to gimp you out of your recovery (you should be fine on the way up though, as getting hit during that portion of the attack will refresh it).

Down Special 1 (Mecha Koopa)

A hatch opens underneath the KCC and a Mecha Koopa pops out, the little guy will automatically walk across the stage in the direction you're facing, turning around if it meets a ledge.

If it collides with an enemy (which does 2%), it will jump in the air and explode, whereas if it travels it's max distance without meeting anyone, it will spark for a second or two and then explode.

The explosion does 9% at the center and 7% around the outside, and the diagonal knockback is not really useful as a KO move (only kills Samus at 250%), but the move is meant to be more for stage control, I don't see a reason why you shouldn't almost always have 1 of these on stage (and you can only have 1, trying to use the move again won't do anything).

After being ejected, the Mach Koopa falls quite fast until it hits the ground and starts moving, so it can actually be used to help edgeguard, but it's much harder to hit with due to seemingly having a smaller hitbox whilst in the air.

Watch out though, it can be picked up and thrown back at you for the same amount of damage.

Down Special 2 (Lazy Mecha Koopa)

This Mecha Koopa can't (or won't?) walk, but it will be flung out of the hatch with increased horizontal speed and a slightly lower falling speed, meaning you can use it as a horizontal projectile rather than a vertical/stage control projectile.

If it falls from a certain height, it will bounce the first time it hits the ground, otherwise it will instantly start sparking and then explode..

The explosion only does 4% damage this time around and hitting a player with it will do an extra 1%.

I assume it can still be picked up and thrown, but the fact that it doesn't walk anymore makes this a bit hard to test.

Down Special 3 (Mega Mecha Koopa)

A much larger Mecha Koopa comes out the hatch, it travels slowly, only covering about a quarter of the distance the default one does and it will no longer explode on contact (unless picked up and thrown) only when it reaches the full travel distance will it explode.

And the explosion is much bigger, doing 15% damage and knockback that can kill Samus at 150%.

This version can no longer be used to edgeguard as it can't hit people in the air, and picking it up and throwing it will do 1% extra damage.

Final Thoughts

Bowser Jr.s specials in this game are super cool, especially his side B and down B, he's also one of the first where I wouldn't actually want to change many of his defaults, the only one I'd change is the recovery, swapping it out for the Meteor Crash version, just to give the guy even more KO power.

FloatingMew

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FloatingMew
I hate you OP, this was the only thing I wanted to stay from but I can't. I'm way to interested and the way you are compiling them is amazing. Now, what to do to contain hype...
Joking about the hating you part

espio87

Smash Ace
I hate you OP, this was the only thing I wanted to stay from but I can't. I'm way to interested and the way you are compiling them is amazing. Now, what to do to contain hype...
Joking about the hating you part
Yeah, I tried to look away to not spoil myself with the custom moves too, but the temptation was too great. I know what you can do: look at the clock in the forums as it counts down the release in the us. I'm sure that will contain your hype :grin:

Bowser Jr looks more and more fun as time passes.

Whiteface

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheRealWhiteface
i wanna know what iceclimbers custom moves were planned to be
I got you there buddy.
B- ice blocks
B2- large ice blocks that move slow and more knockback
B3- fast ice blocks, less damage
DownB2- freeze palm, more damage but doesnt last as long
DownB3- gust palm.
Isn't it sad how easy this is?

CosmicGlitch

Smash Apprentice
I got you there buddy.
B- ice blocks
B2- large ice blocks that move slow and more knockback
B3- fast ice blocks, less damage
DownB2- freeze palm, more damage but doesnt last as long
DownB3- gust palm.
Isn't it sad how easy this is?
yeah yeah yeah, but honestly i think im seeing less (big slow damage) (small fast weak) then i thought i would so thats good, i cant say they would be the most creative thing in the world but some of the other ones iv seen give me hope. duck hunts zigzag can is more of a movement gimmick then just a buff or nerf and pacman has his on fire hydrant so there are definitely some pretty cools ones.

Last edited:

Whiteface

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheRealWhiteface
yeah yeah yeah, but honestly i think im seeing less (big slow damage) (small fast weak) then i thought i would so thats good, i cant say they would be the most creative thing in the world but some of the other ones iv seen give me hope. duck hunts zigzag can is more of a movement gimmick then just a buff or nerf and pacman has his on fire hydrant so there are definitely some pretty cools ones.
Actually for the most part i like most of the custom moves. Even the ones with minor changes. Alot of them seem to create -real- options for both 1v1 and ffa

ZeroBlindDragon

Smash Apprentice
I feel the same as FloatingMew. These compilations are amazing. I greatly enjoyed reading them all. The pictures are excellent, your writing is flawless and you got a nice sense of humor! Plus, you end your analysis with the perfect conclusions. I also enjoy that you recommend a setup.

I will be wathing this thread closely. I will also be eagerly waiting for your analysis of Peach's custom special moves!

Keep up the great work!

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
A quick word of advice: when you go over Robin's moves and when you get to his second version of Thoron...hold B when you fire it. Then get ready to watch your jaw drop.

JoeInky

Smash Apprentice
NNID
JoeInky
3DS FC
4596-9442-7695
I've had some busy days these past few days and a few still coming up, so I'm not going to be able to update as much as I'd like too.

Fortunately I have a 'backlog' of sorts now and have several characters who already have all their moves, so I don't need to spend hours on collecting that much.

Luigi
I was planning on doing this green Mario guy yesterday along with Bowser Jr. but I ended up hurting my neck, so staring down at a laptop screen was out of the question. It's bad enough that I have to do this with a laptop, never mind a bad neck!

Neutral Special 1 (Fireball)

Luigi flicks a fireball, that travels straight ahead and is unaffected by mere gravity.

Does 6% damage and travels just under half the length of Battlefield.

Neutral Special 2 (Bouncing Fireball)

If you've ever wanted Luigi to have a Fireball just like Mario's, then this move is for you.

Now the Fireball is affected by gravity, bouncing along the floor and doing 4-5% damage to whoever it hits.

Neutral Special 3 (Ice Ball)

Luigi gets an elemental variation on his Fireball, and it's not the element I think a lot of people wanted him to get.

Instead of having a thunder hand variant, Luigi can freeze people with his new Ice Ball.

It is unaffected by gravity and travels much slower than the default Fireball with a slightly more vertical trajectory.

It only does 4% damage but it can freeze at higher percents (it starts freezing Samus at 45% for example).

The freeze duration isn't amazing at percentages that matter, but the fact that it stays on screen a bit longer due to moving slower means it could be useful for a bit of stage control.

Side Special 1 (Green Missile)

Luigi charges up and then rockets forward, head first. Takes about 2 seconds to fully charge and if you hold the button for another second after that, the move will fail.

Has some slight vertical height to it and the distance traveled depends on the charge length, with minimum charge going just under halfway across battlefield and a full charge going just over halfway, the move has a chance to misfire whatever the charge level, which will always make it go the full distance and cause extra damage. If it's at all similar to previous games, the misfire chance is 12.5% and I haven't seen anything to indicate that it might be higher this time around.

The damage isn't affect by distance traveled, so a full charge will always do 21% if it hits and an uncharged will always do 6%, a misfire does 25%.

The knockback is always diagonal, but the uncharged does negligible knockback (can't kill Samus at 300%) whereas the fully charged version can kill around 120%, so the knockback is pretty decent if you can connect with it.

The knockback on the misfire is even higher, able to kill Samus as low as 55%

Also based on testing the knockback of the misfire, the chance of it happening seems lower than 12.5%, though I may just have had bad RNG.

Hitting the wall with this move at full speed also seems to have a chance of getting stuck in the wall, leaving Luigi very vulnerable as he pulls himself out.

Side Special 2 (Straight Missile)

In this variation, Luigi doesn't get any vertical height, instead flying perfectly straight.

It takes less time to fully charge, and the damage for the uncharged and charged versions is determined differently.

If you fully charge the move, it will always do 18%, whereas an uncharged version will always do 4-5% at close range and 10-11% as it reaches half of it's max travel distance.

A misfire will always do 23% damage and can KO around the same percentage as the default, whereas the fully charged version takes 10% more (than the default) to kill Samus. The knockback is also more horizontal on this version.

Side Special 3 (High Speed Missile)

This variant takes about a second longer to charge and the endlag is a bit higher, but it goes faster and further as well as a little bit less damage than the default.

Damage on an uncharged version is seemingly random and independent from distance traveled, it can do 5%, 6% and sometimes 8% regardless of where in the move you hit them. A fully charged version on the other hand will always do 20% damage and a misfire does the same.

Knockback is very similar to the default, though the fully charged version takes 5% more to kill so it's probably slightly lower.

Up Special 1 (Super Jump Punch)

Luigi clumsily jumps in the air, flipping upside down at the apex of the jump and landing on his head.

The move is slow, it moves slow, you can't move horizontally on the way up and the endlag is high, it only does 1% damage unless you hit them with the sweetspot at the start of the move.

The sweetspot does 25% damage and decent purely vertical knockback, that's capable of killing Samus around 75%, the knockback on any other part of the move is negligible.

As a recovery move, it's pretty bad, so use it in conjunction with your side B and you should be able to get back to the stage.

Up Special 2 (Lingering Jump Punch)

This custom gives you less recovery height, and it only does 18% damage on the sweetspot, but it's easier to hit with the sweetspot due to it lingering ever so slightly longer.

It kills around 125%, but in the end I don't think this move is really worth it, the default is just better in every way as long as you use it properly.

Up Special 3 (Jump Punch Head Smash)

Luigi completely loses his sweetspot in this custom, but the move goes higher and on the way down, Luigi falls much quicker and slams his head into the ground, burying any grounded person you hit.

As he slams into the ground there's a small sourspot at either side of him that does 8% and minor knockback, but connecting with the sweetspot will do 16% and bury them for quite a large amount of time.

Hitting them in the air also does 8% damage and the knockback is much less than both, not being able to kill Samus till around 205%

The extra height makes it a bit more useful but if you use it wrong, you will plummet straight off the screen and die without being able to do anything about it.

Down Special 1 (Luigi Cyclone)

Luigi spins around, trapping and damaging people then throwing them out on the final hit.

Does 9% damage total and the knockback on the final hit is enough to kill around, the main draw of this move is that - once per air time - you can use it to help your recovery by spamming the B button to ascend vertically. Using it a second time in the air will still use the move, but you won't gain any height.

The final hit has pretty low knockback (it can't kill until 210%) and it's vertical, so it's not a great KO move.

Down Special (Speed Cyclone)

This time Luigi spins much faster, pushing people away from him and gaining extra height on his recovery.

The final hit is the only part that does damage now, which does 6% total and knockback that can kill at 170%, so it has better KO power, but the pushback makes it much harder to connect with.

Down Special 3 (Heavy Cyclone)

This custom is no longer multihit, but it hits harder and sacrifices the ability to travel upwards for increased horizontal distance.

The final hit is no longer the strongest in terms of damage, hitting someone at any point in the move will always do 8% damage. Though, the final hit has vertical knockback and the rest has horizontal knockback, the initial horizontal knockback is able to kill at 270% and the final hit can kill at 125%.

Final Thoughts

I think it was weird that they basically gave him Mario's Fireball as a custom, I would hope that they'd all be different, but I guess beggars can't be choosers.

Ice Ball is also disappointing just because I thought for sure there'd be a Brawl Minus style thunder hand custom.

Rest of the specials are pretty tame, though I enjoy the burying recovery special, it would have been cool if it also meteor smashed in the air to take people with you though.

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
I've had some busy days these past few days and a few still coming up, so I'm not going to be able to update as much as I'd like too.

Fortunately I have a 'backlog' of sorts now and have several characters who already have all their moves, so I don't need to spend hours on collecting that much.

Luigi
There is one thing you missed about Luigi's Bouncing Fireball. It isn't exactly like Mario's.

Here is a video of the moves in action, in particularly the bouncing fireball:

Notice Luigi kind of throws the Fire Ball underhand? It travels upwards before going downwards again.

Mario's on the other hand (huehue) goes directly out and never travels upwards.

Luigi's arcs seem to travel more vertically than Mario's, while Mario's travels more horizontally.

As someone who plays both characters fuequently I notice the difference.

Also, is it me or did both moves get an increase in range?

Top Bottom