• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

My Charizard.. and others =)

Santi

Smash Lord
Here is a pretty recent set VS one of the best MK's we have here in Texas.

Critique pleaseeeeee :D
Helpp my trainer.
I'm a nooblet.

It was originally a 2/3 three set... but then I wanted to extend it to get some more games in :) Then extend it again lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khRTux21wPY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMnTPGfFA0E

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PO8fFJpw5sk

:) tell me what you think.

Extended Set

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jaIpfZ_69XI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8HfY94eTZs

Extended Set lolz

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsarQVXRFp4

washy

Smash Apprentice
learn how to forward hydro plane until you can do it instantly.

I forgot to say your charizard is awesome.

Fearmy

Smash Ace
SH rocksmash. that's how you get the 42%. but i'd advise to use it less, when they're in the 60%-100% try to save it for a quick kill. moar flamethrower. seriously this move is a godsend, most ppl look it over b/c ppl are like OMG ROCK SMASH DOEZ 42 % CHARIZARD IS TOO CHEAP! it'll out out range AND out prioritze almost EVERY single move in the game. I think each character has like only 1 move that'll out prioritize it.

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
the thing with flamethrower against mk is that if you mess up or they predict it, you are going to get the tornado every time. but you can fit in a flamethrower in a lot of circumstances, as long as mk is in range. it's a good move, just beware the tornado. your flame can cancel the tornado out during it's very early start up so that's a slight plus. cancel it as soon as you can if you think he can punish with it.

i think charizard in this matchup is all about learning when to grab, when to rock smash, and when to flamethrower. 3 best tools in the matchup imo, and all three are difficult to punish when used well. tornado's a ***** cuz you are fatttt. rock smash can hit mk out of it with zard hardly taking 1% but you need really precise timing to do so. pivot grab should work really well though.

a little more ftilt would be nice but it's slow and rock smash is solid, so that's fine. it doesn't even kill as well as dtilt.

i really like your squirtle's use of dair.

be more careful with withdraw, don't use your air jump until after you come out of the move. it's still useful to mix in sometimes, but it does have its flaws.

who cares about ivysaur LOL (against meta knight anyway)

but overall nice matches! your pokemon trainer isn't noob at all. 57% grab release dtilt kill...wtf santi. lol.

Timothy2035

Smash Journeyman
Like Fearmy said you need more flame breath with Charzy.

Like Steeler said, be careful using withdraw slide from such high up unless you were just trying to keep from going out too far from a smash to trying to stay alive. Though be careful of letting the slide be too long. It can take you out of range of the ledge in some stages and your only jump back along with waterfall is just short of the stage.

Me personally, I think you played Squirtle pretty well. I think your Charzy is good, but why are you afraid to use Ivy? I noticed in the match on Corneria where you got corner trapped and MK spammed you to a high percent with those jabs. Next time if you shield with Ivy, do a quick roll forward. You will spin and be positioned to do a quick bullet seed. Most likely they are close enough to want to move after you and the hitbox will catch them.

BTW, with your Charzy, you had a couple of moments where a down air spike could have helped get MK out of your way when he was under you. It could maybe have helped to win.

Keep playing and representing Pokemon Trainer to the top tiers! We need more Trainer soldiers! :)

Bestiarius

Smash Ace
You're back! Get Eevzy to post your vids in the new vid thread, 'cause your Zard is, or at least used to be, the best ever. I only saw the first match, and the only thing that really, really jumps out is, do not, DO NOT, ever, ever, EVER use Withdraw to recover. You are asking to be swatted off the stage.
Edit: And NEVER use Ivy against Metaknight. MKis too **** against Ivy.

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
there may be a way to sdi out of mk's dtilt lock and then bullet seed him for it.

Santi

Smash Lord
YAY!!
Thanks everyone :)

I had no idea not to withdraw lol. I thought it was good hehe
:D
keep it coming pleaseee

Retro Gaming

Black and White Thinking
Aha. Santi, you do the grab release single jab thing I do versus Metaknight.

I only watched the first video. I know you didn't intend to use Ivysaur, but I think you need to use more Nair. When I want to switch out Ivysaur immediately I just Nair spam until I can get them far away enough with Fair. Just play in the center until you can switch. Or switch instantly. You kind of hesitated or something. You're going to get hit either way unless you hit them far away enough.

Magik0722

Smash Champion
Yes like everyone said keep withdraw to a mininum, also it seemed infinity didnt know you can just grab squirtle out of withdraw. You didnt seem to know what to do against mach tornado with squirtle, may be you can try waterfall like you do with rocksmash with charizard

Aveean

Purple Yoshi Double Dunker
Love your Charizard. I wish there was more Squirtle ownage but your Charizard beats all. Good choice trying not to use Ivy against Meta Knight.

And yes, I second what Bestiarius said. Post your videos in my video thread so I can get them up there for the archives! =)

zeta

Smash Journeyman
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khRTux21wPY#t=43s

excellent use of sdi here. I was practicing with sk92 and one of the tips he gave me versus metaknight was to do exactly what you did here. SDI up, air dodge through the nado and punish him.

the first video was very enjoyable and i look forward to watchin the rest sometime later today.

Straider

Smash Rookie
Awesome vids :), specially the first. I really like your zard but you could mix the throws with the release, and learn the forward hydroplaning that replaces completely the reverse hydroplaning. Thanx for supporting pokemon trainer.

infernovia

Smash Ace
Dude, what a nooblet. Why you shielding? Get hit like a man.

Ok, but seriously guys, flamethrower? Really? I have SDI'ed out of it with a wii mote (upwards), the metaknight was SDI'ing the wrong way. The startup lag is at least 4 frames allowing you to see it coming and SDI up. This is a free hit against zard because metaknight has freakin fast aerials.

T-block

B2B TST
Is there a reason why you insist on keeping Water Gun charged against MK? MK is probably one of the characters you're least likely to get a WG kill on, and his aerials are so fast it doesn't seem like you'd be able to throw MK off with a stream to any useful degree.

I can understand that you might charge it when you're waiting for him to return to the edge, but there was one vid where you actually took a hit because of the charge.

Onxy

Smash Lord
I'm starting to see a pattern in most of you PT users: start with Charizard, then go to Squirtle 'till death. Ivysaur comes out, then Ivysaur is immeditley switched for Charizard. I'm suprised that some of you are even successful by ignoring Ivysaur all of the time. Some of you really need to step it up with your Ivysaurs.

Zephramrill

Smash Lord
I'm starting to see a pattern in most of you PT users: start with Charizard, then go to Squirtle 'till death. Ivysaur comes out, then Ivysaur is immeditley switched for Charizard. I'm suprised that some of you are even successful by ignoring Ivysaur all of the time. Some of you really need to step it up with your Ivysaurs.
PT is usable without any of the 3, but to be a master I agree with you here in that all 3 of the pokemon should be viable. You'd be proud, I worked all month on my ivysuar.

Top Bottom