• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

My Best Attempt at a Walljump Formula

D

Deleted member

Ok, well here it goes, see the picture at the bottom to correlate with figures.

Figure #1: These are all the current fighters, for this we will use "For Glory" ruling, so no Miis or movesets.

Figure #2: Here we remove detachable companion characters, this includes Rosalina + Luma, Olimar + Pikmin, and if they were in the game Popo + Nana.

Figure #3: Here we remove characters that can act after doing an Up Special move, or have an unusual attribute like Ness who can quickly get a second Up Special if timed correctly after hitting a wall.

Figure #4: Here we remove characters like peach who can float, as well as characters who can jump multiple times.

Figure #5: Here we remove characters who use swords for the majority of there movesets, Toon Link is removed here even though he has a walljump, but well come back to that later.

Figure #6: Here we remove characters that are large, slow, heavy, and have large hurtboxes. Samus is not removed here because she isn't particularly the largest, slowest, or has the largest of hitboxes, although she is really heavy in this game, this isn't enough to make the cut.

Figure #7: Here we remove characters who have Down Specials that give them some good vertical recovery, Luigi, Wario, and Dr. Mario, all fit the bill.

Figure #8: Here we remove characters that have both Teleports and Reflectors, this removes Palutena, and Zelda, and I have a good hunch that Mewtwo won't be able to walljump when he gets added either.

Figure #9: Finally, we add back Clones and 3rd Party Characters, this leaves us with all the characters in the game that can walljump! Toon Link, Dr. Mario, Sonic, and Megaman, all come back to complete the formula hurray! Clones seem to be give special treatment, probably to differentiate from there originals a little more. Something interesting is that mii fighters (who were not included on this list), the Mii Gunners, and Mii Brawlers can walljump while the Mii Swordfighters cannot. Toon Link + Young Link are the only swordfighters allowed to walljump, and go figure they are both clones so I'm going to re-add them because again clones seem to get special privileges just to differentiate from there originals. 3rd Party Characters also seem to be given special treatment by Sakurai in this game, probably because they were guest chars and all had such similar recovery anyways. If your wondering why snake has no wall jump in brawl, I'm going to say that Figure #7 covers it.

So yea that's that, hopefully a fun or interesting read/breakdown for you, even if it's most probably incorrect.

Formula Here:

:Legend:
dcc = detachable companion characters
aaus = acters after up special
fomj = float or multi jumpers
sf = sword fighters
lshc = large slow heavy characters
tar = teleporter and reflectors
catp = clones and third parties
wj = wall jump

The formula is probably something like so:

dcc - aaus - fomj - sf - lshc - dsvr - tar + catp
_____________________________________ = wj

Characters

Last edited by a moderator:

popsofctown

Smash Champion
EDIT: nvm, apparently shulk's not third party.. sorta.
I thought the bottom row was the third party row though.

Last edited:

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Remember when Luigi could wall-jump? Yeah, those were the times... WHY SAKURAI?! WHY?!

Anyway, a formula? I see the characters that can wall-jump, but what's the formula?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Remember when Luigi could wall-jump? Yeah, those were the times... WHY SAKURAI?! WHY?!

Anyway, a formula? I see the characters that can wall-jump, but what's the formula?
There added.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
I will never understand why Little Mac can wall jump...
Boxers aren't just all upper-body strength. Just look at his footwork; he's probably dextrous and strong enough to wall-jump. He can't kick, but he can still use his legs which are integral in boxing.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Using this formula now, we could deduce certain characters right off the bat.

Examples:

-King K Rool probably would not have a walljump due to being large, slow, heavy, and having large hurtboxes.

-Ridley could not walljump because he would probably have multiple jumps and or float.

-Impa if she ended up using the giant blade from hyrule warriors probably wouldn't get one due to swordfighters not getting them unless being a clone of another swordfighter.

-Mewtwo would probably not have one due to having a teleport and reflector.

-Chorus kids, assuming it's 3 of them and assuming they detatch from another in some way, wouldn't have a walljump due to the detachable companion characters rule in the formula.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom