• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Music while playing Melee

Xaniede

Smash Rookie
I've been trying to find something to listen to while playing Melee, so far I got nothing. I wanted to ask the people who listen to music while playing Melee; do you think it affects your play-style and habits as you play? Do you feel as if it helps you concentrate more or make you more distracted? I haven't tried listening to music while playing but I wanted to get some insight and maybe a couple stories to playing Melee with music.

Derpiology

Smash Cadet
NNID
Derpiology
3DS FC
4742-6421-0146
I'd say you should just play music that you think fits your character (speed, personality, role in original games, etc.).

I usually listen to Wherever I May Roam by Metallica when playing as Ganondorf (listen to the song and you'll hear why).

Wanderlust

Smash Rookie
NNID
Wanderlst
I personally pull up the YouTube mix for Pidgeondust - Beat 8. I feel like chill music helps me relax and get into the game.

^Hobbes

Smash Rookie
Depends mainly on your character of choice.

High speed character > Upbeat music

Cautious, Calculative character > Smoother, more calming music
--
Granted personality will play a role in exactly what songs you'd prefer, but these are my personal basics.
Music with melee will definitely affect different people with different results. Try it and see how it affects you. If it works, awesome!

My personal choice of music is Ukulele based. Something about tropical tunes and melee's viciousness makes me laugh. And laughter is where my best ideas come from.

Last edited:

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
Last edited:

Squire

Smash Apprentice
I mess around with Captain Falcon sometimes when I'm bored. If that's the character you're looking for music for, I'd suggest checking out some 80s hard rock or metal. I listen to a lot of Tesla, some Guns N' Roses, stuff like that. It always gets me in the right mindset for stompin' n' kneein'.

For me personally, I listen to a lot of goofy stuff on my Doc. Big Willie Style mostly. For Young Link I get a little weirder: I specifically listen to "Glad" by Traffic. Works like a charm.

Vorde

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Vorde
3DS FC
4613-7807-1976
Listen to whatever gets you hype. For me it's EDM and Trap music

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
I think it depends on your preference. Whatever makes you happy and hypes you up. I prefer to only doing this while playing friendlies and just chilling with bros. Just wanted to state that although it wasn't asked. For me, one song that I love to listen to while playing doc is T.I - Why you wanna do that

Ganreizu

Smash Ace
Honestly i dislike listening to music because the flow of the music directly affects my ability to capitalize or execute tech. If the song is fast, i'll play fast, if the song is slow, i'll play slow. This isn't good because if i need to play fast and the song is slow it'll slow me down and vice versa. I'm better off not using music and calling on different speeds when necessary rather than being influenced by a music track.

However this is a good thing during practice. I play hype songs and i challenge myself to "go fast and not mess up" during particularly hype segments. For example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ooZyHLLQ5e8

Last edited:

Beard Hawk

Smash Apprentice
Honestly i dislike listening to music because the flow of the music directly affects my ability to capitalize or execute tech. If the song is fast, i'll play fast, if the song is slow, i'll play slow. This isn't good because if i need to play fast and the song is slow it'll slow me down and vice versa. I'm better off not using music and calling on different speeds when necessary rather than being influenced by a music track.

However this is a good thing during practice. I play hype songs and i challenge myself to "go fast and not mess up" during particularly hype segments. For example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ooZyHLLQ5e8
Can't you say the same about the ingame music though? Yoshi's is quite chilled out, while Fountain is more epic, Dream Land is fast etc

Last edited:

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
Can't you say the same about the ingame music though? Yoshi's is quite chilled out, while Fountain is more epic, Dream Land is fast etc
Yeah, but I've played on a lot of setups with either bad audio or a loud venue surrounding it. You barely ever just hear in-game music; the sound of my local is usually about 16-20 setups all playing at the same time.

Ganreizu

Smash Ace
No, you really can't. Melee music is inherently unobtrusive. I don't know what it is, probably because the game has been out for almost 15 years and our gameplay is unaffected by songs we hear every day. When i use 20xx with random songs on i get ****ed up because the songs don't match the stage.

Beard Hawk

Smash Apprentice
No, you really can't. Melee music is inherently unobtrusive. I don't know what it is, probably because the game has been out for almost 15 years and our gameplay is unaffected by songs we hear every day. When i use 20xx with random songs on i get ****ed up because the songs don't match the stage.
It's kinda funny. There's this huge range of music in the game, from jazz to rap to metal, and we only hear a tiny selection of it normally. Random music on 20xx does solve that, but yeah, the makers of SSBM definitely tuned each track to suit the atmosphere of the stage. Otherwise you could find yourself fighting at Brinstar Depths, while listening to Rainbow Ride, Icicle Mountain, or Mother 2. It's like you're in a pleasant garden centre, while Godzilla is stomping on the rest of the city

Silvio

Smash Rookie
"My personal choice of music is Ukulele based. Something about tropical tunes and melee's viciousness makes me laugh. And laughter is where my best ideas come from.[/QUOTE]"
This is absolutely amazing, thanks so much for this advice

I've been trying to find something to listen to while playing Melee, so far I got nothing. I wanted to ask the people who listen to music while playing Melee; do you think it affects your play-style and habits as you play? Do you feel as if it helps you concentrate more or make you more distracted? I haven't tried listening to music while playing but I wanted to get some insight and maybe a couple stories to playing Melee with music.
I have tried it a few times and honestly unless you are a quite person by nature it simply gets in the way during friendlies. You sort of come off as a harder to approach person and you simply are unless you take off your headphones after each match. Either way, I think it helps stay focused as I tend to get distracted by what people say mid-match. This helps remove that aspect of it. However, I prefer to play without it so I can have fun with the people around me.

Arcturian

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Arcturian
Normally I listen to rap, electronic and metal. Recently though I've been listening to a lot of video game music and remixes while playing. OC Remix tends to have decent music, with a few stand out tracks here and there.

hunterlittle

Smash Rookie
rap and electronic works for me. Mainly fast rap songs with good bass so all noise is blocked out (logic, futuristic, j cole) With electronic I listen to Shawn Wasbi

Top Bottom