• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Music from the Pokémon Gym

Kirby King

Master Lameoid
Premium
BRoomer
The fun doesn’t stop with My Music, however, because Sakurai is ending the week with a triple update. The next item on the agenda is a <a href="http://www.smashbros.com/en_us/music/music09.html">sampling of the music</a> that you’ll presumably be hearing (if you want, I guess) at the stage that was introduced yesterday, <a href="http://smashboards.com/blog/2007/09/06/pokemon-stadium-part-deux/">Pokémon Stadium 2</a>. Based on the Gym and Evolving themes from the Pokémon games, this one seems a little underwhelming to my ears. Maybe it’s the fact that I’m just not thrilled with yet another fairly unimpressive synthesizer job (I feel like this was just ripped off of a DS, instrument-wise), or think the tempo’s a little slow, or even that I don’t like how the rhythm of the melody feels now. The one saving grace for me is the evolution chime, or as Sakurai says,
<blockquote>The part at the end is THAT song. Y’know…

“Look! Samus is evolving!”

…Yeah, that one.</blockquote>
The composition supervisor for this one was Junichi Masuda (<em>Pokémon</em> and <em>Pulseman</em>, both from Game Freak), and the arrangement supervisor was Kenichi Okuma (<em>Melty Lancer</em> series, <em>Welcome to Pia Carrot!! 3</em>). You can <a href="http://www.smashbros.com/en_us/music/music09.html">take a listen for yourself on the Dojo</a>.

Homelessvagrant

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5455-9417-5731
Yeah, I kind of was dissapointed with this tune too which is really sad because pokemon has some really good tunes (RS elite four song FTW). It's like Sakurai and team are aiming more for quantity rather than quality which may or may not be a good thing.

sceptilian

Smash Apprentice
DP Champion Song FTW. This update was meh, okay I guess. My interest is more in what Sakurai says.

1) Why doesn't he refer to this song as the theme for Pokemon Stadium 2? If he revealed it yesterday as Pokemon Stadium 2... Does it mean the original stage from SSBM is returning?

2) Yeah, the part where he says, "Look! Samus is evolving!" makes me think about Samus "evolving" into Zamus. Hmm...

I may be thinking too much, but whatever.

GUIGUI

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, I kind of was dissapointed with this tune too which is really sad because pokemon has some really good tunes (RS elite four song FTW). It's like Sakurai and team are aiming more for quantity rather than quality which may or may not be a good thing.
I think he only show new musics. I can bet the old themes (like the one from SSBM pokemon stadium) will still be playing too. And if you really don't like the new one, you can still set it to not play it.

Fanewgie

Smash Ace
Couldn't've said it better myself. But hey, at least we can turn off the trashy tracks now. :D

1) Why doesn't he refer to this song as the theme for Pokemon Stadium 2? If he revealed it yesterday as Pokemon Stadium 2... Does it mean the original stage from SSBM is returning?
I think it's relatively safe to think that stage might be returning regardless.

2) Yeah, the part where he says, "Look! Samus is evolving!" makes me think about Samus "evolving" into Zamus. Hmm...
I think he did that, because if he said "Pikachu", then a bunch of idiots would be running around shouting "RAICHU CONFIRMED OMG!" right now.

F@lc0-san

Smash Ace
Meh...

I woukd have preffered the took the music from the champion battle against blue/gary in Pokemon red/blue.

I really thought that one was really exciting back in the day, coupled with the fact that my pokemon team was horrible it was a hard fight:p

Oh well, at least we can choose our tunes.

oxyborb

Smash Ace
NNID
oxyborb
3DS FC
4124-5009-7204
Um, what the crap? This song sucks! Who'd want to smash to that?

PRINCESS PEACH 777

Smash Lord
first i thought it sucks but now i think it is cool
3 updata at once nice
i can't wait two more days for the next updata
OMG:(

Drascin

Smash Journeyman
DP Champion Song FTW.
Indeed. I gotta get me that one in mp3. Would have suited the franticness of Smash better too. This song is good, but, it's really way too calm and relaxing for a fight.

Unless it sounds as a "tone down", like sometimes would happen in Mario stages in SSBM, where one of the songs was much more relaxed than the rest and sounded like a "wind-down".

PRINCESS PEACH 777

Smash Lord
yeah
SO Like i think if their is a new charecter or a new stage
it would be better if they done it on a video don't you think?:confused:

MetaKnight'sSword

Smash Lord
I too was disappointed...not for the song that they chose but it just doesnt seem to have that regal feel as the last song in Melee for Pokemon Stadium

Kelexo

Smash Journeyman
Perhaps the evolving music plays whenever the stage switches elements?
since that music isn't always playing (since you can choose what DOES play, to an extent) I kinda doubt it. It's a nice thought, though.

Revven

FrankerZ
Oh jeeze, isn't it obvious that they'll have a handful of Pokemon music to choose from than just this one song? I really hope they do have a Pokemon Elite Four or Champion song as one of the choices, don't care what version they're from as all of them were good with the music.

This one gives off nostalgia like no other though. I really can't wait to play this song while I fight as well as the other Pokemon songs! :D

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
DP Champion Song FTW.
Definately. That, or perhaps the match vs. Arceus. That song is just **** creepy.

I enjoyed this song. It's so.....nostalgic hearing it after so many years. I haven't even touched RYGB since the metals came out.

Card

Smash Lord
Man I hear nothing wrong with the new song. People are way to picky about this 'mp3/midi' stuff
lol quoted for truth...

alot of people here have the attitude;

Melee: Not enough Music Variation!

Brawl: Not enough Music Quality!

Face it, no one will ever be satisfied. Personally, I think this update is fantastic, Because every song that I have heard from the DOJO has sounded better than anything I hear in Melee, and even some songs gave me goosebumps. I do have a song which is on my wishlist, which everyone else has mentioned, and thats the Pokemon D/P Champion song, which was just awesome. Fighting to that song would be great. But if it's not there, I wouldn't care at all because of everything else Sakurai has added.

NukeA6

Smash Master
Out of all the Pokemon songs in Smash, this is easily the worst.

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
Um...this honestly sounded like a good VGMusic sequence: good in its own right, but not on that higher plane of orchestral grandeur. Seriously, I've defended the music arrangements up until now. But the MIDI synth just won't cut it, ESPECIALLY in this tune! How can we get an all-out orchestral version of the Pokémon theme in Melee but get denied such wonders in Brawl? I'm really hoping this is just a preliminary sound....

Don't get me wrong: I have thoroughly enjoyed each and every music update. I absolutely loved the arrangement of Kid Icarus' Underworld Theme! :grin: And Go K.K. Rider offered plenty of excitement. Oh, and--okay, so I really do love the music updates, each and every one. Today's was just a little..."underwhelming", or at least for the first half. Maybe I just need some time to get used to it.

On a lighter note, though, Sakurai makes me LAWLZ!

The part at the end is THAT song. Y’know...

"Look! Samus is evolving!"

...Yeah, that one.

:laugh:

...Oh, and I REALLY like the My Music feature. Tons more variety, and plenty of new arrangements that we have yet to hear. Bring on the (better) arrangements! :grin:

Rash

Smash Ace
Pokemon Stadium 2's theme isn't bad at all. Some people complain that it's either not battle-oriented enough (which I think is bullcrap considering that not every song has to be epic and fast-paced in order to be good for battling) or that it has too much midi in it. Honestly, the track definitely has midi, but is arranged in a way that makes it sound almost orchestrated as well. If SSBM got away with mixing midi/electronic and orchestrated music, I don't see why Brawl can't do the same.

Hell, we don't even know what it's like to play the game! Why do some of the nitpickers out there choose to pre-judge so ****ing much?

Kirby knight

Smash Lord
What a nice update; The pokemon Gym theme reminded me of my very first time playing the Red version and walking into the very first gym.

I really think people need to calm down when it comes the music quality. When someone makes a song it's not like they only have one version of it some versions of the song will be regarded as "samples" because the final product is more defined. I think that the music we are getting now are "samples" and not the final product of the sound.

-Knight

Leobenmc

Smash Journeyman
Yes, I love this song! Especially that beginning - and the fluttering of the notes, twould indeed be awesome! Brawl worthy? I don't care, I just need an orchestrated version.

However, I think "Battle! Team Galactic" from Pokémon Diamond would be good for Brawl.

Back on topic, this song - I felt particularly emotional about it. I really liked the Gym songs of the Pokémon series, they always felt very grand, like you've accomplished something, worked really hard and now you're among the Gods. And I think no-one can deny how epic this song sounds.

And that Evolution bit at the end? HEADBANG WORTHY

Pluvia's other account

Smash Master
People try these tunes out for truly epic music!

Legendary Pokemon: All Generations

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQlNtAbZg08

Pokemon Champion: All Generations

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlPv_jifKUk

Rival Music: All Generations

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5DHpUBQlMU

Gym Battles Theme: All Generations

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvZOuf3vvYM

Pokemon God: Arceus

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVQejVr7uvw
(Btw, this is real "End of the World" style music, especially the end)

I can't wait to hear some of these songs orchestra style in Brawl!

Dacvak

Smash Ace
Wow, I love this music. It's really chill, yeah, but so was Onett's music. I think it'll be fun to Smash to.

And Sakurai is just awesome. "Samus is evolving!" Sakurai's a guy I'd like to go out drinking with.

How many other people think that Brawl is going to have ALL of the music from SSB64 and Melee as well? This new update certainly seems like it's possible.

~Dac

jambre

Smash Apprentice
It was a joke as Samus changes into Zero suit samus like a pokemon evolves

MetaKnight'sSword

Smash Lord
Oh LOL well that makes sense....*sighs* Love the guy.....the same cant be said for a few of his jokes LOL oh well...any way what yur opinion about this song

Top Bottom