• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Multi shine/wave shine questions

yourface191

Smash Apprentice
Hello, i have recently started to get into competitive smash. I currently main falco but i really want to challenge myself by picking up fox. anyways, on to the important stuff.

What is the best way to multi shine consistently . Are you supposed to do it with your thumb only or do you use index finger/ middle finger on B and jump respectively? I have a hard time shining fast enough regardless of what method i use.

I can wave shine fine just going around on the ground, but i have trouble when i actually put it to use on the opponent. When i press the jump button fox doesn't jump. from my understanding this is from the lag on the shine when it lands a hit. My current method of wave shining is a sliding motion between X and B.

I currently use X to jump but i am willing to switch to Y if it is more beneficial.

I am open to any suggestions and any help would be great!! thank you

*georgeH

Smash Rookie
You can probably use the search feature to find posts as to why Y is better to use over X, but in regards to multishining, I find it incredibly easy to slide my right thumb off B and Y rapidly. The waveshining problem is just adjusting to hitlag like you noticed, so its probably a better idea to practice tech skill with a level 1 computer to combo with the shine and getting used to it.

yourface191

Smash Apprentice
thanks man, i really appreciate it. i will definitely look into x vs y

and sorry for not posting this in the official questions thread.. I think i could be ********

Shai Hulud

Smash Lord
Claw obviously. It's awesome :)

There are a few variants but the main idea is to use your index finger for Y, thumb for A/B/C. The variants are basically what to do with Z and R.

You could do
middle on Z, ring on R (this is what I do)
middle switches between Z and R
middle on Z, don't use R at all

Lovage

Smash Hero
don't stress about what buttons you use, honestly. a switch at this point in time would be a waste of time most likely, just know there are TONS of players who do sick multishines with X lol.

Shai Hulud

Smash Lord
don't stress about what buttons you use, honestly. a switch at this point in time would be a waste of time most likely, just know there are TONS of players who do sick multishines with X lol.
He said he just started to get into competitive smash, so I would say this is exactly the point when to experiment with different techniques and grips.

Andy Lawliet

Smash Cadet
If youre new just try which way feels right to you and just do it that way.
It doesn't really matter.
You can do all of the important stuff by using X or even Stick to jump.
You might as well use different buttons for different things.
Like im normaly using X to SHFFL or SHL, but switch to Y when doing SHDL.
I can do it with X too but it feels better doing it with Y.

Honestly just try everything then decide.

As for waveshines just pick a CPU and try different timings (or even buttons). X is further away from B, so pressing it will cause you to jump a few Frames later thus helps you not doing it to early (while still in lag)

:phone:

Animal

Smash Lord
As previous people said, its whatevers comfortable for you. For me, I use the analog stick to double shine, and i apply it relatively easily in matches now. My advice would be to try each method and see whatever one works best for you, and stick with it.

Shai Hulud

Smash Lord
As you can see, the stock reply to this question is basically "It doesn't matter" or "Do what is comfortable" but this is nothing but a measure of the frequency of certain grips and techniques. You shouldn't assume from this that it actually doesn't matter. I have vastly more tech skill by clawing than I do with a normal grip. Sure, with a normal grip I can still play a moderately technical Fox, and if I had never tried clawing I might think that was as good as my tech skill was going to get, and I might be posting here right now saying "It doesn't matter, you can SHDL and waveshine etc. with standard grips and techniques." I would be wrong, though.

-TK-

Smash Rookie
NNID
I-TK-I
U could use X if you like, as the A doesn't do anything while the shine is out, but i use the Y and slide my thumb between Y and B, I just wait 4 frames after I hit B then slide my thumb to Y while I press the L button to perform the wavedash!

In short: Down B ---> Y + L and DI right or left at the same time to perform the wavedash = waveshine!!!

Top Bottom