• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MU Discussion: Link - aka "How the Hero of Time Slayed the Dragon"

Chrisgopher

Smash Cadet
I can't be the only one here who has problems fighting Link, right? I know he's not used regularly in tournaments, but... damn.

All of his specials are fantastic for keeping Yoshi at bay - either from the ground or from the air. Also, Link's up and down airs have amazing hitboxes and power. Playing online I find lots of great Link players. Just before writing this, I lost two matches against one guy and never knocked him out once!

Here's an example of the pain I have endured: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipEoVqHs_g4

WAKE UP, SHEEPLE! SHEIK IS NOT THE REAL THREAT! HER SWORD-TOTING BOY-TOY IS!

~UPDATE!~

I've uploaded the videos of my last Link fights - the fights that made me start this thread. I'm not proud of these replays, but if we can learn something from them then it will be worth it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEcQFD3-5pI - Video 1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jShEs6_ROxc - Video 2
Warning! Not for the squeamish Yoshi players.

Last edited:

YoHeKing

Smash Master
NNID
YoHeKing
3DS FC
1504-5702-2379
I agree about sheik not being a big deal but link is tough on the MU. Its alot more complicated but I honestly love fighting link players. Basicly all you need to do is sheild. His grabs dont scare me but his grabs are real risky for him.

Found your problems. Your using bad approaches and too many rolls. Even the noobyest players can punish yoshis rolls. You can pressure links using eggs far away in air and if he comes close enough to actually be able to hit you with projectiles then try to fake him out. Running into sheild when you see him use moves really help because alot of his moves have enough lag to get some damage in.

Last edited:

Chrisgopher

Smash Cadet
I agree. Everyone I talk to says I need to stop rolling. It has served me well in the past, but now that I'm seeing serious competition it doesn't work. Trying to break this habit. That video was a little older. I'll try to upload the more recent ones where I got destroyed and pissed on.

I guess I'm just afraid of Link. I believe that everywhere around him is the Danger Zone. I've even been caught off-guard by a quick grab of his. His grab is good, I think. It triggers quick, but you're right it is very punishable at the end. Link can use his grab at point-blank just as effectively as any other character without a ranged grab.

YoHeKing

Smash Master
NNID
YoHeKing
3DS FC
1504-5702-2379
agree. Everyone I talk to says I need to stop rolling. It has served me well in the past, but now that I'm seeing serious competition it doesn't work. Trying to break this habit. That video was a little older. I'll try to upload the more recent ones where I got destroyed and pissed on.

I guess I'm just afraid of Link. I believe that everywhere around him is the Danger Zone. I've even been caught off-guard by a quick grab of his. His grab is good, I think. It triggers quick, but you're right it is very punishable at the end. Link can use his grab at point-blank just as effectively as any other character without a ranged grab.
I will punish it majorly. Best way to get rid of it would be to fight someone high leveld. Dont mind fighting you.

Also links grabs dont kill fast so theres nothing to worry that much

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Keep in mind that while Link has a lot of tools, he's not that fast, so it's hard for him to lock you down since there's always an opening or escape route available to you. He can't be using all his tools at once, so you just need to recognize how Yoshi beats certain options and then follow through with it. You'll need to be patient to handle this MU.

CelestialMarauder~

Smash Ace
Patience is a virtue. New game new tools slightly more viable Yoshi, but patience is still super important to actually using this character.
We can juggle Link pretty well, and we can honestly zone him at about the same level as he zones us if not more. You just can't get too antsy for a kill because he'll just dair you or something.
As long as you don't get carried away with any of your options you should honestly be fine.

HoS_Beast

Smash Cadet
NNID
Xillians
I have so far not had any issues with link or toon link.
Egg throw can easily be angled so link either has to throw ranged attacks at weird angles or has to shield/roll away. If either of these happen, we are fast enough to punish.

Our air game is better than links, we have good air control, eggs to screw with him and decent range.

The only major issue i can see is the disjointed hitbox of his sword.

Up air is NOT a good option unless link is in hitstun. His down air beats our up air almost every time.(there is a couple of frames we can hit him out of it, but good luck landing that consistently)
Instead if he is above you, bait out the down air and punish him once he lands.

If you are good at item grabbing in air you can even use his own bombs against him for some extra pressure.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Classic for glory link's
Or rather every person that has a projectile in general.

Roll to one side of the stage and start spamming projectiles, if you jump near them, they'll shield and then grab.

YoHeKing

Smash Master
NNID
YoHeKing
3DS FC
1504-5702-2379
Classic for glory link's
Or rather every person that has a projectile in general.

Roll to one side of the stage and start spamming projectiles, if you jump near them, they'll shield and then grab.
XD

Yeah but link players forget yoshi can actually controll his projectile more then the up and down boomerang.

Top Bottom