• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MU Discussion: GAME & WATCH

DtJ Composer

The Heroine Appears
BRoomer

How do we win?
What do we watch out for?
Stages to BAN/CP?
Tips/Tricks when fighting this character?
Videos?
MU classification?

Remember, we are not using the "mu ratio" scheme anymore. Describe the MU using the following MU classifications:

Heavy Disadvantage
Disadvantage
Slight Disadvantage
Even
Slight Advantage
Advantage
Heavy Advantage​

Sarix

Smash Ace
Game & Watch's largest advantages in this MU are his disjointed attacks and strong kill power. However he is not very good at dealing with disjointed hitboxes himself which Samus has a quite a few of. I play a Game & Watch main fairly often and have come to a few conclusions on the MU.

On the ground our Ftilt and Dtilt can outrange both his Ftilt and Dtilt with good spacing. While his smashes are stronger and have greater range than ours they are all slower as well.

In the air I've found Game & Watch does not like our Fair as while it has less range than his aerials it comes out faster as is a good option to pressure him with being able to come out before the majority of his aerials, I've only had trouble against his Nair with Samus's Fair. Fair's ability to cover Samus's front also makes it a useful approach if G&W tries to force an approach with Chef as the fire goes through his sausages.

We should avoid direct air battles with him as he does have better airspeed and can likely beat our aerials this way. If G&W is in the air wait for him to throw out an aerial as he suffers from cooldown trouble despite having strong aerials.

Approaching-wise G&W likely will be approaching because outside of trying to Bair our projectiles we out pressure him by a lot. If he tries to Chef aside from Fairing him with good spacing we can shield grab him without a lot of difficulty.

Overall this MU is basically a glass cannon vs a stone wall as G&W can build damage faster with his strong attacks and kill better however he dies very easily being 2nd lightest and fairly floaty making him die easier to our Dsmash, Dtilt, and Utilt. And Samus can survive much longer that G&W being heavy and having an above average recovery but does not excel at dealing a lot of damage or killing.

I would put it at a slight disadvantage for Samus given she has the tools and range to deal with him effectively but his range and killpower can remove our stocks fairly quickly if she gets careless.

DtJ Composer

The Heroine Appears
BRoomer
That's actually a really good write-up Sarix

Just a few things to add:
-G&W is a character that has the potential to benefit from Charge Shot (bucket), so holding on to a fully charged shot is a pretty good mindgame. G&W will either be kept on their toes, or they'll start to get lax (which is when it's ok to fire).
-Zair is our best friend in this match-up, as it outranges and beats most of G&W's aerials and is quite annoying, since G&W likes to stay in the air a lot. Use it!

Sarix

Smash Ace
Thanks DtJ. Yeah Zair and Fair wreck G&W pretty well. His range and kill power are really the only major issues Samus has.

Edit: And this is why it pays to view Samus as having some potential. :D

Rizen

Smash Legend
*Can't sleep, killing time, lurks, finds thread, gives 2 cents- the story of this post*
I play G&W. TBH I don't know the Samus MU with G&W because nobody around plays her in armor so I'll tell you general G&W stuff. Any objections lady?

G&W's smashes are slow but strong a good setup for G&W to hit is after Dthrow. Samus can get away by tech-rolling but G&W can still make good reads or punish mistakes. Just don't miss the tech, G&W's throws look alike but he'll probably Dthrow.

G&W's crouch/duck is low and can duck many of Samus' projectiles/Zair if shot from the air. His Dtilt starts frame 6, is used for quick spacing and hits deceptively above and below the visible manhole. It's very good to stop planking with; G&W can also dash attack to stage spike ledge stalls and lingering on the ledge.
Dtilt's deceptive range http://www.youtube.com/watch?list=PLDC7F8FD99C40C4DB&v=bn0iNztJ03Y&feature=player_detailpage#t=161s (this threw me for a loop many times before I learned G&W)

G&W's intercepting game is great. Samus can survive a long time but she's a big slow target and G&W can go far above or under the stage quickly, hit with a disjointed attack like Fair or Dair and recover. Be very careful, especially with tether recoveries because G&W can be aggressive offstage. Be aware that G&W's UpB is invulnerable during the first third of its rising about. It'll go through Samus' Dair.

Samus' missiles and Zair can't be bucketed and she can hold a charged shot (use it to punish) which gives G&W trouble approaching. He will get in though and his disjointed Fair/Bair can beat missiles. Samus' Zair is her best tool in this MU IMO.

Beware G&W's Nair it hits around him (the fish are the hitbubbles) and can juggle for 17%; it's great for approaching from angles that aren't from the side. Uair has big wind boxes that can probably juggle a floaty character like Samus pretty well. G&W can 2nd jump after upB if he saved it and attack so it looks like Samus' strong area is lined horizontally with her and G&W is strong juggling or approaching from an angle.

G&W's smashes are crazy powerful and last a long time. He punishes lag/dodges/good reads with them. Usmash has head armor like Mario's Usmash so don't challenge it. Despite all this it's hard to land smashes and G&W's main KO move is Fair which can be SHed OoS. More KOs come from G&W's good air and intercepting game than actual power; recover smart and don't count on weight and recovery distance to save Samus. Precise aggressive intercepting G&Ws are a real pain.

G&W's light but he can bucket break which cancels all momentum. I survived ROB's Dsmash at 163% (wrong aerial too :/) so don't think G&W will go up and die like Jiggz. He's light but glass canon seems to downplay G&Ws bucket breaking and great recovery.

G&W can be evil on Brin and RC, you should probably ban Brin. He does well with platform poking so stages like BF would be bad for Samus.

I've only played the wifi version of this MU. With that said, +2 G&W IMO.

Off the record, kudos for sticking with a low tier. I main Link, myself ;) .

Sarix

Smash Ace
*Can't sleep, killing time, lurks, finds thread, gives 2 cents- the story of this post*
I play G&W. TBH I don't know the Samus MU with G&W because nobody around plays her in armor so I'll tell you general G&W stuff. Any objections lady?

G&W's smashes are slow but strong a good setup for G&W to hit is after Dthrow. Samus can get away by tech-rolling but G&W can still make good reads or punish mistakes. Just don't miss the tech, G&W's throws look alike but he'll probably Dthrow.

G&W's crouch/duck is low and can duck many of Samus' projectiles/Zair if shot from the air. His Dtilt starts frame 6, is used for quick spacing and hits deceptively above and below the visible manhole. It's very good to stop planking with; G&W can also dash attack to stage spike ledge stalls and lingering on the ledge.
Dtilt's deceptive range http://www.youtube.com/watch?list=PLDC7F8FD99C40C4DB&v=bn0iNztJ03Y&feature=player_detailpage#t=161s (this threw me for a loop many times before I learned G&W)

G&W's intercepting game is great. Samus can survive a long time but she's a big slow target and G&W can go far above or under the stage quickly, hit with a disjointed attack like Fair or Dair and recover. Be very careful, especially with tether recoveries because G&W can be aggressive offstage. Be aware that G&W's UpB is invulnerable during the first third of its rising about. It'll go through Samus' Dair.

Samus' missiles and Zair can't be bucketed and she can hold a charged shot (use it to punish) which gives G&W trouble approaching. He will get in though and his disjointed Fair/Bair can beat missiles. Samus' Zair is her best tool in this MU IMO.

Beware G&W's Nair it hits around him (the fish are the hitbubbles) and can juggle for 17%; it's great for approaching from angles that aren't from the side. Uair has big wind boxes that can probably juggle a floaty character like Samus pretty well. G&W can 2nd jump after upB if he saved it and attack so it looks like Samus' strong area is lined horizontally with her and G&W is strong juggling or approaching from an angle.

G&W's smashes are crazy powerful and last a long time. He punishes lag/dodges/good reads with them. Usmash has head armor like Mario's Usmash so don't challenge it. Despite all this it's hard to land smashes and G&W's main KO move is Fair which can be SHed OoS. More KOs come from G&W's good air and intercepting game than actual power; recover smart and don't count on weight and recovery distance to save Samus. Precise aggressive intercepting G&Ws are a real pain.

G&W's light but he can bucket break which cancels all momentum. I survived ROB's Dsmash at 163% (wrong aerial too :/) so don't think G&W will go up and die like Jiggz. He's light but glass canon seems to downplay G&Ws bucket breaking and great recovery.

G&W can be evil on Brin and RC, you should probably ban Brin. He does well with platform poking so stages like BF would be bad for Samus.

I've only played the wifi version of this MU. With that said, +2 G&W IMO.

Off the record, kudos for sticking with a low tier. I main Link, myself ;) .
Thanks for the opinion, it's nice to see a non Samus main on these boards.

One nitpick I do have to make is that Samus actually is not that slow, aside from falling speed she is quite middling ground and air speed wise.

Thank you for mentioning G&W's Dthrow tech chases I completely forgot to mention them in my analysis.

Both Samus and G&W's Dtilts come out at frame 6 and have crazy range, Samus's just happens to be a bit crazier.
While G&W's aerial interception game is good, aside from Nair, Samus's can deal with his Fair and Bair quite effectively with her Fair. Fair also walls out G&W's Fair and Bair approach very well and can be used to punish him using either of those aerials to break through our missiles.

I don't know of anywhere that even has Brinstar and RC legal but I'll keep that in mind. As for Battlefield, Samus is meant to to take advantage of characters using the platforms as they automatically go into one of her two favorite zones on a platform. Her platform poking should not be downplayed as well so I really don't see it as that bad of a stage for Samus.

Not trying to be rude, Samus is a very unpopular character and I just didn't want any large misconceptions to be percieved as fact about her.

Rizen

Smash Legend
Samus players are rare; I was guessing about BF based on G&W doing well there but I see Samus does too. I need to play more vs Samus and learn the MU ;)

Sarix

Smash Ace
We are very rare so it's understandable for many not to know what options Samus has. It's also why some of her MUs which are actually rather reasonable are fairly skewed, mostly in mid tier though.

Top Bottom