• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mr. Wizard hints a big turnout for Melee at Evo, pushes for LCD monitors over CRTs

smopup

Smash Journeyman
Joey "Mr. Wizard" Cuellar tweeted on Tuesday that Super Smash Bros. Melee is fighting for Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3's place as the game with the second highest number of entrants at EVO 2014. No official numbers have been released so far, but Mr. Wizard has indicated that the gap between Melee and Marvel this year could be much smaller than in 2013.

Image courtesy of Polygon

Melee's showing at Evo 2013 was a milestone achievement in the game's competitive history, resulting in its largest Melee tournament of all time with 696 entrants. As strong as this turnout was, it wasn't even close to Marvel's 1,297 registrants or Super Street Fighter IV: AE 2012's 1,601 players. In 2007, Melee was the second most attended game at Evo with 270 entrants.

There was a problem fetching the tweet

While the event as a whole was a success for the Melee community, one of the issues it faced during Evo 2013 was the scramble for CRTs prior to the tournament. In order to avoid this, Mr. Wizard has suggested the use of EVO's standard monitor coupled with AVerMedia's LGP.

Extensive testing on this topic has indicated that a setup similar to this will have virtually negligible amounts of lag. Despite this, it has yet to be used as the standard in any high profile Melee tournament - largely due to the high cost and uncertainty in implementation.

Mr. Wizard aims to dispel the taboo surrounding Smash on LCD monitors so that things can go smoothly by the time Evo happens. On the Melee It On Me Facebook Group, Mr. Wizard said he will do this by bringing a full setup to Super Smash Sundays on April 13. These bi-weekly tournaments often feature the best players in Southern California, famous for being one of the top regions in the world. Such players include Fly Amanita, S2J, Westballz, Fiction, and several others.

If you are interested in seeing the perspective from various top players on this issue, Super Smash Sundays is streamed on Level Up Live. To register for Evo 2014, see the official website. Evo 2014 will be held July 11-13 in Las Vegas, Nevada.

Last edited:

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
LCD monitors are awesome. I used them with my Wii a while ago... You get no lag at all, just like with a CRT, but they're far lighter and much more modern.

N1c2k3

Smash Lord
Having played on multiple LCD's that have negligible lag. I can testify that you can play just as well on them. If you're worried, you may want to practice for a little while on them first, but after you should be fine. I fully support them becoming standard.

Drigonaut

Smash Apprentice
agreed, the LCD's need to be pushed. but it can't be standardized without a major repeating tournament to utilize these screens

JakieWinks

Smash Apprentice
If LCD's become the new norm, even though they have little to no lag, we all KNOW that the most common john will be "this monitor lags." Players will just have to deal with it though.

TheMightyPuma

Smash Rookie
I've heard that although the lag might be less than a single frame, the system makes up for it by dropping frames every now and again. This could be a serious problem if that dropped frame happens at a crucial time. As the game evolves, frame perfectness is becoming more and more important.

I haven't researched this at all myself yet, but I would like it looked into.

aspirin cookie

Smash Cadet
It's true . We have to adapt if we want this new Smash Bros. uprising to continue . And how is it not worth it ? It is . It's worth everything .

Problem2

Smash Champion
NNID
Problem0
I've been told time and time by people that "their" set-up is lagless, yet every time, it wasn't true. I wouldn't be surprised if many smashers have had the same experience, which leads to us being very skeptical at any solution involving non-CRT tvs.

The Derrit

Smash Lord
BRoomer
Nobody who plays smash is frame perfect, and the game itself drops frames from time to time. The television doing the same thing is a) impossible to monitor and b) no more likely than the game itself doing it. Can you imagine how much more professional a tournament would look without a bunch of old, boxy televisions from the 90s?

KOkingpin

Smash Champion
LGP setups are as close to no lag as you can get on lcd. If everyone gets a lgp we will be good. Plus every match can be recorded. Lol.

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Just gotta make sure you get an LCD that uses LED's to light up the image, and not fluorescent tubes. If you use the LCD with fluorescent tubes, you experience big lag issues. LED = no lag, from my experiences. I even owned one and used it to play both Melee and Brawl.

Last edited:

Man Li Gi

Smash Lord
NNID
ManLiGi
I was tired of seeing those crickety old TVs, but knew (thought) that there was really no other option for a completely lagless experience. As long as EVO doesn't screw with Smash like they did in 2008 *shudders*.....

Kaeldiar

Smash Ace
CRT is optimal of course, but LCD is almost as good. I would be okay with LCDs if it means a bigger Melee turnout and an easier time for the TOs.

Zone

Smash Champion
Not gonna lie, this is slightly making me want to not go to EVO. Here's to hoping I don't notice a difference.

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Not gonna lie, this is slightly making me want to not go to EVO. Here's to hoping I don't notice a difference.
Trust me on this, with the correct LCD monitors (which would be LED-based), you have 0 frames of lag. MAYBE 1 frame, and only maybe because I don't remember much from when I had my TV except that me and my friends felt no lag whatsoever. I was able to superwavedash with Samus no problem, and that's a frame-precise maneuver right there.

Last edited:

smopup

Smash Journeyman
Trust me on this, with the correct LCD monitors (which would be LED-based), you have 0 frames of lag. MAYBE 1 frame, and only maybe because I don't remember much from when I had my TV except that me and my friends felt no lag whatsoever. I was able to superwavedash with Samus no problem, and that's a frame-precise maneuver right there.
The hard data suggests there is some lag, but it's less than half a frame (at least with the MLG monitor + the LGP). I know Leffen has gone on record saying it feels perfectly fine, which really legitimizes the whole thing in my eyes.

Top Bottom