• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Moving from Marth to Sheik?

Toebex

Smash Cadet
So, the title is kind of a lie. I'm not fully switching, I just want back-up strats when needed. Right now I play (pretty averagely but anyway) Marth and Link. I really want to get good with Sheik, so my question is can you guys give me any tips when moving from Marth to Sheik? People say its a good back up but I really don't know...

Thanks for reading :D

Alulim

Smash Apprentice
They're different characters with a few similarities (like their grab dependency).

Marth has a good grab, good down-tilt, good dash dancing, good wavedashing, medicore Oos options, etc.
Sheik has not as good of a grab (though usually has more reward with it), generally good tilts all around, medicore dash dancing, good wavedashing (a different type - that's faster, less range than marth's but also has a smaller hitbox when done), amazing Oos options, needles, etc.

Just play her as you'd play a new character starting out - Not sure what marth fundamentals you could rely with her (you should just apply general game fundamentals) besides being defensive since that's how Sheik is optimally played.

Hmm... You get a projectile to use that is like no other projectile in this game. Learn to use it well.

BrTarolg

Smash Ace
Tailschao once told me that you just stick your limbs out and throw sewing instruments at them

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
Sheik's grab is harder to land because the dash dance is not as long. You have to use short dash dances and wavedashes to score grabs in neutral. Tech skill is critical with Sheik for that alone. If you can land lots of grabs on spacies, you will be in a good position throughout the match. You need to play Sheik reactively if you are going to have any success against good players, but don't compromise your space. If your opponent is taking control of center stage, force your way in aggressively but don't repeat the same mistakes if your opponent shows that they can punish certain movement choices that you are making.

The only similarities that I would draw between Sheik and Marth is their edgeguarding. You can sort of throw out hitboxes to threaten (bair/fair/nair/f-tilt) your opponent's likely options, but it's a little less safe with Sheik usually, because she's not disjointed.

Let me know if there are any other questions that you have, or if I haven't explained myself well. I know I just kind of threw out a bunch of random ideas (I'm so disorganized -_-).

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
You can't overpower your opponent anymore with dash dance --> grab unless you're fighting like Ganon or Bowser or some other garbage character

Your ability to be aggressive has been cut roughly in half. Because of this, I stress that using needles correctly is very important

Walk is good, WD back is good

You can throw --> kill most characters at 90% guaranteed

There's no shame in CGing bad characters

Try to find out what a spacey is thinking when you're d-throwing them; it makes the tech chase easier

Instead of protecting your legs when you jump, you protect your tummy

Last edited:
Top Bottom