• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Moving around the stage faster?

N9TMARE

Smash Cadet
Best way to practice moving around the stage fast? I wavedash sometimes but i play on a HD TV so i sort of feel a lag.

Quote this please

bertbusdriver

Smash Ace
Best way to practice moving around the stage fast? I wavedash sometimes but i play on a HD TV so i sort of feel a lag.

Quote this please
get a tv that doesn't lag. it'll stunt your improvement in melee pretty severely.

You can use AR or name entry glitch with fixed camera mode to allow yourself to move around alone on the stage. Practice different dash dance lengths, wavelanding onto and off of platforms, ledge dashing, etc. Try to get it so that your falcon is never standing still.

CriticalRibbon

Smash Rookie

Quote this please
You probably should invest in a CRT, even if it's just a small practice one.

First things first, learn and get comfortable with all the tools (wavedashing, wavelanding, L-cancelling, Isai or shield drops). Then just grind movement practice, making sure you are going as fast as you possibly can at all times until it becomes standard for you. To practice maintaining concise control throughout this process, I like to choose a small stage like Yoshi's Story and play against a low level CPU. This gives me practice at using my movement tools to escape from situations where my space is limited and adds the challenge of avoiding the CPU. Make sure you incorporate going to the ledge (without using an up-b) as part of your movement, as you need to be able to get there as fast as possible from every location on the map (this is also the only thing that'll force you to work pivots into your movement and even think about which direction you're facing).

Start using c-stick for aerials if you haven't already. This will give you the extra aerial control that you need for things like ledge cancels and just proper spacing in general. Plus, this makes it much easier to aerial out of shield/Isai drop

Practice mix-ups in your movement. Too many people always keep doing the same thing over and over whenever they're given enough space to move freely. Focus on being able to change your momentum and your plans at will.

Practice getting from one ledge to the other as fast as possible to help you with edgeguards. This is also the best way to practice your get-up options from the ledge without accidentally getting good at doing them only on one side.

MUNK

Smash Rookie
I practice movement on Dreamland too, solely for the wind. It's just nice to get used to.

N9TMARE

Smash Cadet
You probably should invest in a CRT, even if it's just a small practice one.

First things first, learn and get comfortable with all the tools (wavedashing, wavelanding, L-cancelling, Isai or shield drops). Then just grind movement practice, making sure you are going as fast as you possibly can at all times until it becomes standard for you. To practice maintaining concise control throughout this process, I like to choose a small stage like Yoshi's Story and play against a low level CPU. This gives me practice at using my movement tools to escape from situations where my space is limited and adds the challenge of avoiding the CPU. Make sure you incorporate going to the ledge (without using an up-b) as part of your movement, as you need to be able to get there as fast as possible from every location on the map (this is also the only thing that'll force you to work pivots into your movement and even think about which direction you're facing).

Start using c-stick for aerials if you haven't already. This will give you the extra aerial control that you need for things like ledge cancels and just proper spacing in general. Plus, this makes it much easier to aerial out of shield/Isai drop

Practice mix-ups in your movement. Too many people always keep doing the same thing over and over whenever they're given enough space to move freely. Focus on being able to change your momentum and your plans at will.

Practice getting from one ledge to the other as fast as possible to help you with edgeguards. This is also the best way to practice your get-up options from the ledge without accidentally getting good at doing them only on one side.
Thank you so much for going so in detail! Yes i already use the C-Sick and i plan on playing on a CRT very soon.

Mook7

Smash Rookie
Practice SHFFL'ing while trying to move as fast as possible afterwards (same with down throw and up throw). One tip I have is to not fully depress the trigger when l-canceling. The benefits are that if you mess up and get hit you can still tech if you hit something or smash DI into something, but it should also help you not accidentally hold the button too long and shield. Also consider buffering rolls with the c stick after aerials (do your aerial then hold L or R along with left or right on the c-stick before you hit the ground. As long as your holding this Falcon will roll on the first frame possible). It's probably more useful against scrubs but still a great tool to have.

One last thing for speeding up is straight horizontal wavelands. When double jumping falcon curls up into a ball but extends out when you air dodge making it really easy to get a straight horizontal waveland when rising through a platform with double jump. They're fast, look nice, and are easy to incorporate into your play. Try it out. For style points waveland off the top platform then one of the side ones without stopping. Practice wavelands all day long, especially coming up from ledge. Practice putting them all together until your Falcon slides around the stage like a mad man. Judging by your lack of CRT you're probably new to the scene so if I said anything you don't understand just ask.

Go to tournaments as much as possible and good luck!

Top Bottom