• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Moveset data thread (chart updated Dec 04 '12)

Toomai

Smash Ace
So, moveset data extraction. The Melee and Brawl people have programs that can do it automatically. We don't, but I've done it manually. Click the preview image to download it (.xlsx, 2,244KB).

File will be updated as I fill it in, which will be slow but hopefully steady. NTSC only so far but plan to do other versions afterwards. Each character is on a different sheet, click on the tabs or use Ctrl+PgUp/Ctrl+PgDn to scroll through them.

Some answers to useful questions:[collapse="Who's done/next?"]Done

Next

Taking a break. JPN is next, in the same order as the above. Or I might try harder to look into projectiles etc.
[/collapse][collapse="How do I read this?"]Column C is what the subaction is to my knowledge. Column M (the multicoloured one) is the sequence of commands, and the values to the right are the inputs. Basically, reading Column M downwards is the chronological sequence of actions that composes the move.[/collapse][collapse="What are these abbreviations in the C column?"]I tried to keep a mix of readability and short length. Here are some of the probably-not-as-intuitive ones:
  • "f", "b", and "s" For most things, "f" means "front"/"forward" while "b" means "back"/"backward". So for example "tumble landing f" is "when you land on the ground from tumbling on your front", and "floor froll b" is "when you f-roll while laying on your back".
    For edge stuff, "f" means "fast" and "s" meas "slow". If you see a "b" for an edge action like "edge attack b", that's an error and you should report it.
  • "NS", "US", and "DS" "Neutral special", "up special", and "down special".
  • "shield jump" When you jump out of shield, not when your shield breaks and you get popped into the air (that would be "shield break jump").
[/collapse][collapse="What are the hitbox values?"]From left to right:
  • ID
  • ID #2
  • Bone
  • Damage
  • Clang
  • Effect
  • Size
  • X position
  • Y position
  • Z position
  • Angle
  • Knockback scaling
  • Fixed knockback value
  • Hits grounded targets
  • Hits aerial targets
  • Shield damage
  • Sound level
  • Sound type
  • Base knockback
[/collapse][collapse="I've hit a Subroutine/Goto, where do I look now?"]Read the input given to the command (which for subs/gotos, is in column N). If it starts with 802f, then take the last four characters and find that ID in column B, and continue from there. (For example, if it's 802f7f7c, then go to the row that says 7f7c in column B.) If it starts with anything else, then it goes to a non-character-specific piece of code, so you need to jump over to the sheet marked "Xx".

If you hit a Return, then go back to where you last met a Subroutine and continue from there.[/collapse][collapse="What does Set Flag mean?"]It depends on the context:
  • For animations such as turn, run tun, or forward roll, Set Flag reverses the character's direction.
  • For jabs, Set Flag activates the continuation window.
  • For aerial attacks, Set Flag enables and disables landing lag.
  • For taunts, Set Flag allows interruptibility. Maybe this is the same underlying thing as jab continuation, I don't know.
[/collapse][collapse="What numbers correspond to what bones?"]Don't know. We can make guesses based on what we know about the move (so, Mario's head is probably 12 because that's what becomes intangible during up smash) but that's about it. That said, numbers seem to match across characters far more reliably than Melee and Brawl.[/collapse][collapse="What do numbers in [square brackets] mean?"]When you see this, it means that I know how other numbers for this command map to understandable things, but not this one in particular. For example I know that for slope contours, 0 means "none", 3 means "feet", and 4 means "full", so if the number is 1 or 2 I show [1] or [2]. (Incidentally, I think 1 and 2 are for each foot individually, but not sure enough of which is which to call it.)[/collapse][collapse="What about projectiles?"]Projectiles are a completely different thing. Forget about them for now.[/collapse]In a nutshell, it works pretty much just like Melee's moveset files, just with different functions.

Toomai

Smash Ace
I have no idea how to read this...
Not terribly surprised to be honest, in its current state it's highly technical and incomplete. Basically, it's the instructions the game uses to make characters do things. The multicoloured column in the middle is the instruction; the numbers to the right are the parameters of the instruction. Ignore the stuff on the left except for column C, which is what the subaction is.
Godly. It's been far too long. Are we gonna get knockback stuff?
Knockback values for hitboxes are in here if you know how to read it; I'll edit the topic to explain.

B Link

Smash Lord
Some weird terminology in the middle column lol, can't wait till a guide is posted. But it looks really interesting so far. I'm guessing that going down the column (e.g. for dair) is chronological?

Surri-Sama

Smash Hero
Always good to see more technical stuff being done, thanks a lot!!

Since i honestly have no idea, what could some of the applications of this data be? In more basic smash terms lol

The Star King

Smash Hero
Knowing stuff. I always have questions for which I lack the information to answer, that I can't think many examples of atm of course (was thinking of one like yesterday and can't remember it... it had something to do with the number of frames it takes to jump with Yoshi I think). Like, uh, in the Hyrule combo finisher Isai uses all the time of fair off the green wall -> boomerang -> fair/up-b, is the partially stale fair stronger or the up-b? IDK man.

EDIT: Oh I thought of the other thing I think. It was how comparable the timing for instant double jump with Link onto platforms is to Ness/Yoshi DJC.

Toomai

Smash Ace
All NTSC chars done. Bumping for great justice.

Next order of business is either JPN chars or trying to find any sort of patterns at all for projectiles. After a break.

The Star King

Smash Hero
Am I blind? All I see is Mario.

What is "US", "NS", and "DS"?

What do the letters mean in "edge attack f", "edge attack s", "edge roll f", "edge roll b"?

Toomai

Smash Ace
Am I blind? All I see is Mario.
Each character is on a different sheet; you can click the tabs at the bottom or use Ctrl+PgUp/Ctrl+PgDn to navigate.
What is "US", "NS", and "DS"?
Up special, neutral special, down special. I wanted to use short forms so that extra info like "ground fully charged" wouldn't cause the column to get super-wide.
What do the letters mean in "edge attack f", "edge attack s", "edge roll f", "edge roll b"?
For most things (attacks, throws, rolls), "f" and "b" represent "front"/"forward" and "back"/"backward". For edge stuff, "f" is "fast" and "s" is "slow". If you see a "b" on an edge action, that's an error and you should tell me where it is.

Madao

So far I have the Projectile pointer addresses if you want them. I'm impressed you were able to find all the stuff like clang. I only managed to find damage, effect, and one of the knockback variables.

Here's a breakpoint for projectiles, 801658F8 .

Also I noticed for shield damage, you put 0 for too many things. Did you forget or did you just not finish it?

Toomai

Smash Ace
So far I have the Projectile pointer addresses if you want them. I'm impressed you were able to find all the stuff like clang. I only managed to find damage, effect, and one of the knockback variables.

Here's a breakpoint for projectiles, 801658F8 .

Also I noticed for shield damage, you put 0 for too many things. Did you forget or did you just not finish it?
Any help with projectiles/items/etc would be useful.

I'm not sure what you mean with shield damage having "0 for too many things". What attacks have shield damage that I have listed as 0? (It's all formula-controlled, automatically extracting the numbers from the code, so if indeed there is an error it's not because I didn't finish it.)

Madao

Any help with projectiles/items/etc would be useful.

I'm not sure what you mean with shield damage having "0 for too many things". What attacks have shield damage that I have listed as 0? (It's all formula-controlled, automatically extracting the numbers from the code, so if indeed there is an error it's not because I didn't finish it.)
Alright. I don't have as good of an understanding of the data as you do, but I can try to learn some more stuff. It took me a while just to figure out the addresses, but I finally realised your address data is based on Training Mode in Kirby's stage. Lol before that, I had to set breakpoints to find stuff. Later on, I decided to hex search using the data you provided to help me find it. I'll do some more testing then post the data I've collected. I already have some data mapped, but I'll need to double check and add stuff first.

I apologize if I missread your data sheet, but isn't shield damage in the 4th last column, AC? It's not a big deal though because from what I've seen, the shield damage is the same as regular damage, at least from the few physical and projectile attacks I tested out.

How were you able to map out so much data? I feel like I spent a ton of time yet haven't mapped out even close to that amount. I guess I prolly play around too much.

Toomai

Smash Ace
I apologize if I missread your data sheet, but isn't shield damage in the 4th last column, AC? It's not a big deal though because from what I've seen, the shield damage is the same as regular damage, at least from the few physical and projectile attacks I tested out.
By "shield damage" I mean "bonus damage upon hitting a shield", so an 8% attack with 1 shield damage will do 9 damage to shields and 8 to everything else.
How were you able to map out so much data? I feel like I spent a ton of time yet haven't mapped out even close to that amount. I guess I prolly play around too much.
I just took the data block where the movesets were located, did some copy-paste-search/replace, and filled in formulas.

I guess the way I set it up I forgot to include the actual values for throw data. I'll see if I can fix that.

Madao

By "shield damage" I mean "bonus damage upon hitting a shield", so an 8% attack with 1 shield damage will do 9 damage to shields and 8 to everything else.
Oh nice. I would have never noticed that lol. Makes sense now though.

I just took the data block where the movesets were located, did some copy-paste-search/replace, and filled in formulas
I guess the way I set it up I forgot to include the actual values for throw data. I'll see if I can fix that.
I see. The more work I do, the more tricks I learn to save time. How did you figure out what everything does? I mean stuff like damage was easy once I did some tracing, but stuff like hitbox size, you wouldn't even be able to see it.

So I did some testing and found the pointers to projectiles. From what I've seen the location is somewhat split. Neutral Specials are in it's own place, and other projectiles are in a different area.

Here are the pointers for the starting address of physical attacks.
80130E34 = Mario
80130E94 = Fox
80130ED4 = DK
80130F34 = Samus
80130F74 = Luigi
80130FB4 = Link
80130FF4 = Yoshi
80131034 = Cpt Falcon
80131074 = Kirby
801310B4 = Pikachu
801310F4 = JigglyPuff
80131134 = Ness

The pointers for neutral special projectiles = Physical Pointer + 8. So basically you replace the 4 at the end with C. For other projectile attacks like Pikachu's Thunder and Ness's PK Thunder, the pointer address = Physical Address - 4.
I don't know what does what yet, but I can tell you where the address for damage is for each attack.

I'll use Training Mode Dream Land stage as Player 1 for examples. If you want to save time and not deal with pointers.
[collapse="Addresses for damage of Projectile attacks"]
Ness's PK Thunder
80131130 will point to 802F7620.
Offset for Damage of Hitbox #1 = 0x34. [802F7654]
Offset for Damage of Hitbox #2 = 0x68. [802F7688]

Ness's PK Fire
8013113C will point to 802FA1F0.
Offset for Damage = 0x28. [802FA218]

Pikachu's ThunderShock
801310BC points to 802FB050.
Offset for Damage of Thundershock before it touches the ground = 0x28. [802F078]
Offset for Damage of Thundershock after it touches the ground = 0x5C. [802F0AC]

Pikachu's Thunder
801310B0 points to 802F7620.
Offset for Damage = 0x68. [802F7688]

Mario's Fireball
80130E3C points to 802F9E70.
Offset for Damage = 0x28. [802F9E98]

Luigi's Fireball
80130F7C points to 802FA060.
Offset for Damage = 0x28. [802FA088]

Link's Boomerang
80130FBC points to 802FB970.
Offset for Damage = 0x28. [802FB998]

Fox's Laser
80130E9C points to 80308E40
Offset for Damage = 0x28. [80308E68]

Kirby's Up B Projectile
80131070 points to 802F7620.
Offset for Damage = 0x30. [802F7650]

Yoshi's Egg
80130FF0 points to 802F7620.
Offset for Damage = 0x34. [802F7654]

Yoshi's Down B Stars
80130FF0 points to 802F7620.
Offset for Damage = 0x68. [802F7688]
[/collapse]
I didn't test samus enough, but all I know is that it loads different areas of memory for damage, depending on the charge state.

Madao

Hey, I'm interested in comparing the moveset differences between NTSC and JPN. How long does it take you to paste the data in? After some trial and error, I finally got it to work, but it takes me ~8 minutes per character.

Danny_SsB

Smash Apprentice
Hey Toomai, do you Know anything about the animation data?
I wish I could change the animation, to make slow characters have faster attacks :D

Madao

I wrote some Projectile Data but it's not 100% complete, just basic things like knockback, damage, etc. I also posted the starting addresses for Dream Land in both Training Mode and VSes Mode.

Edit: Just now fixed the link.

Last edited:

Sluigi123

R64/Brawl- Dev; AI Coder; Balancer
NNID
Sluigi123
Sadly, it's been a while since the last posting, so I guess that this can still be a bump.

Has the throwing data been found yet? Also, Madao, your projectile data link isn't working for some reason.

Madao

Has the throwing data been found yet? Also, Madao, your projectile data link isn't working for some reason.
I posted the throw hitbox data in the character txt files inside of my calculator zip. I totally forgot about that problem. Something's wrong with dropbox that I need to fix. Sry been busy lately, be sure to check in a few days.

Sluigi123

R64/Brawl- Dev; AI Coder; Balancer
NNID
Sluigi123
I posted the throw hitbox data in the character txt files inside of my calculator zip. I totally forgot about that problem. Something's wrong with dropbox that I need to fix. Sry been busy lately, be sure to check in a few days.
Should've answered sooner, but thanx for letting me know! XP

NAMQ

Smash Rookie
I am going to check this out, gonna mess with Jigglipuff a bit.

FrayedAdversity

Smash Rookie
Looks like the download's down.

Shame, I really wanted to mess around with this. Oh well.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1hzdpZyG5f4A3gr0-PXYqUxfTDs76RsBq36YiCQJvbD8/

Here's a re-hosted version of the spreadsheet with a bit of documentation/notes I added (mostly about hitboxes)

I'd recommend you download your own copy of the spreadsheet so you can play around with the raw hex data in columns d-h and see how it relates to the information on the right.

Top Bottom