• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Movement Practice

prisonchild

Smash Ace
does anybody have any 'drills' or stuff that they do for movement practice? it can be either character specific or in general.

i'm looking to get faster when I play but I find myself more just messing around in training mode and I think I would benefit from a more structured training mode session (since they aren't that fun lol).

thanks!

cmu6eh

Banned via Warnings
Luigi/mario: look at isai's movement practice. Fast fall up air off all the platforms in hyrule and do it consistently. I also like to do b-air slip off fast fall up airs on platforms. On kongo I try to platform drop up air on the down moving platform fast enough to stay on the platform. z-canceling them is really really hard, try to do as many in a row as you can. Also, try to fast fall up air off the small ledge on the left side of hyrule.

DK: Go to dream land and platform drop up air off a platform, then run off the side, do a f-air, jump+neutral-b to turn and up b to recover, go to the other side and do the same, see how many times in a row you can do it. Charge B fully: run off ledge and turn cancel neutral b fast enough to grab on a ledge. see how many times you can switch directions on a full charge b in the air without actually punching. Jump back onto stage from hanging on ledge with a d-air or b-air.

Link: hang on ledge, jump off backwards facing ledge, throw boomerang, up-b back onto ledge, see how many times you can do it without falling off.

Haven't practiced other characters yet but i'll edit this post after I do.

Han Solo

Banned via Warnings
For Fox, I basically just do platform movement with shine cancels and drop-off lasers. I'll throw in dash-off ledge grab and then do something from the ledge (double-laser, go to platform, etc.).

KnitePhox

Smash Lord
i do odd stuffs

taunt cancel-->jump turn around falcon punches off the spawn platform(show me your-falcon..)

varying height falcon punches(mix up stick jumps, cjumps, short hops and all those with different timing double jumps too) to barely miss dl platforms where i angle the falcon punch to where the landing or fpunch animation makes falcon look like he's high or low from the ground or from platforms

shine walk turn arounds by inputting half circle back and while on the down part shine cancel, getting used to this helps me with shine-->dash(potentially having turn around, usually for teams situations. sometimes for the rare tech off the shine-->roll behind)-->shine

back and fourth first hit only upairs on dl platforms with fox by landing as close as possible to the inside of each platform to repeat

LOL wat

cmu6eh

Banned via Warnings
One of the things i learned to do to keep myself from getting bored is to practice on the BTT and BTP stages. Some are really fun to mess around on.

Nintendude

Smash Hero
Here's a list of some of the stuff I do in between stocks.

Mario/Kirby: Running C-jump aerials to quick run off fastfall aerial or platform drop fastfall aerial on the Dreamland side platforms or Hyrule middle platforms. They are all the same height relative to each other / the main platform and those characters'jumps perfect land on them.

DK: still working on short-hop Uair, platform drop Uair in rapid succession on Dreamland side platforms and the Hyrule middle platforms.

Link: His midair jump is the perfect height for the middle platforms in Hyrule, so it's fun to jump aerial, slip off jump aerial, slip off jump aerial to scale the tower.

Falcon: Dash pivot fastfall from the Dreamland side platforms to the edge, or throw in some Bairs and Uairs from pivot slipoffs.

Samus: Press B

viCe1

Smash Rookie
Blacksburg VA school year, northen VA summer
Another useful thing you can do when you're bored is to figure out percent specific combos. The best example probably playing as falcon. It's always nice to know fthrow to falcon punch numbers. I also think falcon is pretty unique because he has strong 0-death combos and often the starting point is a grab. The grab is also great because it gives you a second to decide your followup, whether you want to uair, fair, reverse bair, or personally I enjoy pivot followups. But back to training mode, you can learn the percents for cool combos and sometimes the necessary positioning on the stage to do them.
You can get pretty detailed and find things like Falcon vs Mario: mario at 16% and near the middle of dream land, Fthrow, pivot, bair, bair, uair. .....which is pretty sexy IMO

SheerMadness

Smash Master
With Ness practice DJC'ing onto platforms as fast as possible. If you time it right you won't even see the aerial come out. It will really increase your agility on any stage with significant platform play.

You can also do it with Yoshi and Fox's shine. Pretty easy with Yoshi. Harder to time with Ness and Fox.

B Link

Smash Lord
Using link: Do a platform drop fair from the top platform to the second highest platform of hyrule. Then double jump fair back to the top one. Repeat. Must be fast. If you can get the sound of the fair to come out consistently when you platform drop u will be a pro link

meowmeowrainbowkitty

Smash Apprentice
For jiggs/kirby, I try to practice ledge cancelling drills (dairs), but also just in general practicing shield drop + attacks from plats,

falcon-I like to vary up my uairs, like timing / height and such

Top Bottom