• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Mother of the Cosmos: Rosalina [General/Social] Thread (Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shirma Akayaku

Smash Lord
NNID
Toadette75
Switch FC
SW-3818-9526-0298
I often play them as the reverse, actually. A good mama looks out for her babies. :V
The main thing people took away from this gif (where it was originally posted) is that Luma can't dodge at all. The top comment pretty much sums up other people's comments: “WHY. DIDN’T. YOU. DODGE!!!”

What would've fit better is if Rosalina were dodging while Luma stands and takes the hit. I don't know a gif to use that on though.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
The main thing people took away from this gif (where it was originally posted) is that Luma can't dodge at all. The top comment pretty much sums up other people's comments: “WHY. DIDN’T. YOU. DODGE!!!”

What would've fit better is if Rosalina were dodging while Luma stands and takes the hit. I don't know a gif to use that on though.

Actually, "WHY. DIDN'T. YOU. DODGE!!!" is the actual quote from Piccolo in that DBZ scene, if I'm not mistaken, which is why it's top rated. :V

The joke is more that some Rosalina players rely entirely on Luma and let him take a ton of hits.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Sometimes, you just don't want the Luma to run off on you, so keeping it close can at least make it harder for opponents to approach if they can't do so safely.

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
I originally opposed Rosalina's exclusion because I thought she was too new, but I've since fallen in love with her. No, not literally.

Wow, nice comment he got there, I don't really love Rosalina that deep. A video game world is still just a virtual world. Furthermore, even though some of you may be shy of expressing your love of Rosalina. But just stay logic, calm down,and be free to love her no matter in which cause.
Actually, "WHY. DIDN'T. YOU. DODGE!!!" is the actual quote from Piccolo in that DBZ scene, if I'm not mistaken, which is why it's top rated. :V

The joke is more that some Rosalina players rely entirely on Luma and let him take a ton of hits.
Haha! Sure is!
Sometimes if you rely on battling close with Rosalina and forgot to call back Luma, you Luma will quickly be vanished and leave you open. That's what happened to me at first when using Rosalina.
Sometimes, you just don't want the Luma to run off on you, so keeping it close can at least make it harder for opponents to approach if they can't do so safely.
It seems that no matter how far you shoot Luma out, once you move around Luma will follow you at a certain distance. Jump at air and keep doing attacks can let Luma stay in air for a moment, and it will slowly drop down. You also using side dodge to get closer to Luma with pressing the B button , but it will still move around once you get close. Talking about the Luma tatics!!

Last edited:

Shirma Akayaku

Smash Lord
NNID
Toadette75
Switch FC
SW-3818-9526-0298
By the way, do we call Luma an "it"? I mean, we could call Luma "him" or "her" depending on preference.

Oh, and as for that DBZ quote, it still fits well for Rosalina & Luma as a character in that gif. Seriously though, I wish they gave Luma the ability to dodge. If that's too much, they could probably balance it by reducing Luma's HP or increasing the respawn time.

Xavier :D

Smash Ace
NNID
legend_of_xav
I finally finished getting all of Rosalina's custom moves (i've been slacking). and i'm pretty impressed with the surprising amount of variety the dev team put in her custom moves.

Brickbuild101

Smash Lord
NNID
YouSeemFRAZZLED
Really? What did you use to test it on?
Um, Training mode, a flat stage, and whatever opponent. I do it online, but I mostly just do down throw, forward air.

I originally opposed Rosalina's exclusion because I thought she was too new, but I've since fallen in love with her. No, not literally.

It's called having a waifu, BTW. ...Are you serious?

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
Yay, 100 pages for best character. <3

Anyway, hopefully, we get to see more Rosalina in HD in the direct tomorrow. <3

In addition to Luma Guardian, I've also used Luma warp which is another awesome custom move that can catch opponents off guard amazingly.

Shirma Akayaku

Smash Lord
NNID
Toadette75
Switch FC
SW-3818-9526-0298
I just consider the Luma to be genderless, much like how I refer to all the playable Pokemon.
First off, do you mean Luma as in the entire species, or as an individual Luma? It seems to be the first since you mention Pokemon that way. By the way, I'm just asking for the sake of asking. Also, I don't hate to be technical but I'm pretty sure a Luma can have a gender since it can assign itself one, just like any other person can. They are just sexless, until they transform into another life form, like a Star Bunny.

-----

Anyways, the reason I'm thinking about this is because a Luma, similar to a Pokemon (specifically, a type of one), like a Pikachu can be called he or she, but because a Luma is sexless (unlike a Pikachu) we technically can't call it a he or she. An example is that in SSB4, the Jigglypuff in the game can be called he or she depending on personal preference since its sex isn't stated explicitly, however, the Luma(s) in the game can't be called he or she since we know it doesn't have a sex. Does this mean we can call Luma whatever preferred term we like?

All this stuff I'm talking about is more of a dumb rant than anything. I bring this up because it irritates me to call Luma "the Luma" or something of that sort because calling it he or she is better for simplicity's sake, but I want to stay true to what they are by not using he or she. It's just that when I write something about Luma, I want to be able to transition from "Luma" to "he" because repeating Luma several times in a sentence is irritating to me. Using "he" feels much better and it doesn't seem as redundant as typing "Luma".

Sorry for those who read this long, unimportant, rant I made. I'll just call Luma "he" like I do with my teddy bear.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
First off, do you mean Luma as in the entire species, or as an individual Luma? It seems to be the first since you mention Pokemon that way. By the way, I'm just asking for the sake of asking. Also, I don't hate to be technical but I'm pretty sure a Luma can have a gender since it can assign itself one, just like any other person can. They are just sexless, until they transform into another life form, like a Star Bunny.

-----

Anyways, the reason I'm thinking about this is because a Luma, similar to a Pokemon (specifically, a type of one), like a Pikachu can be called he or she, but because a Luma is sexless (unlike a Pikachu) we technically can't call it a he or she. An example is that in SSB4, the Jigglypuff in the game can be called he or she depending on personal preference since its sex isn't stated explicitly, however, the Luma(s) in the game can't be called he or she since we know it doesn't have a sex. Does this mean we can call Luma whatever preferred term we like?

All this stuff I'm talking about is more of a dumb rant than anything. I bring this up because it irritates me to call Luma "the Luma" or something of that sort because calling it he or she is better for simplicity's sake, but I want to stay true to what they are by not using he or she. It's just that when I write something about Luma, I want to be able to transition from "Luma" to "he" because repeating Luma several times in a sentence is irritating to me. Using "he" feels much better and it doesn't seem as redundant as typing "Luma".

Sorry for those who read this long, unimportant, rant I made. I'll just call Luma "he" like I do with my teddy bear.
I'm pretty sure the Jigglypuff in Smash 4 is implied to be female though, since it has hats based off of female Pokémon Trainers, and none of males.

As for the Luma dilemma, I call him a he simply because I have a soft spot for mother-son relationships in fiction. There's also the fact that Polari and Young Master Luma are two Lumas represented, both clearly identifying as males (Polari is described as being a "father figure" to Rosalina, and "Master" is a male specific term, with the female version being "Mistress").

However, there are invented gender neutral terms that some societies use, such as "thon" (a contraction of "that one"), or "co". These are not widely understood by society, though.

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
I just consider the Luma to be genderless, much like how I refer to all the playable Pokemon.
Well, to me only legendary Pokemon are genderless of course. I consider Pikachu,Lucario, Greninja, Charizard all male while Jigglypuff as female.

-----

It depends on your fav, no right or wrong.
I finally finished getting all of Rosalina's custom moves (i've been slacking). and i'm pretty impressed with the surprising amount of variety the dev team put in her custom moves.
I only complete Mario and Link. Since I used them a lot in Smash Run.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096

-----

Whenever a Luma gets taken out, the next one is often a different color. That's basically one of the reasons for why I use genderless terms whenever I talk about the Luma.

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Whenever a Luma gets taken out, the next one is often a different color. That's basically one of the reasons for why I use genderless terms whenever I talk about the Luma.
I don't know if colors matters with the gender. Guess that the Luma gender thing is still debateable, or optional.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
*silently waves*
'sup guys? Been awhile. Around 25 pages or so since last I've been here, oh me oh my... Guess I kinda disappeared from the character discussion board during the last days/weeks of waiting for SSB3DS and when I was still doing all the single player challenges and whatnot. Was happy with how much a natural Rosie was for me when first picking her up and using her on a casual level, but now that I'm starting to play more competitively again, oh boy. It's a whole different thing trying to get good with her now, which I guess is partly why I came by here to hopefully read up on some things on the board to gain some more insight on how to get better with her.

How's everyone been though? Doin' good I take it?

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Today's screeshot shows some cool aliases of DK and Samus, what kind of aliases will they think of rith Rosalina and other characters.
Here's a funny one I saw on Miiverse.
Mario: A plumber who does everything but plumbing.
Luigi: Green Mario.

Last edited:

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
Mother of the Cosmos. :p

Though, it probably will have something to do with space to be sure.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
*silently waves*
'sup guys? Been awhile. Around 25 pages or so since last I've been here, oh me oh my... Guess I kinda disappeared from the character discussion board during the last days/weeks of waiting for SSB3DS and when I was still doing all the single player challenges and whatnot. Was happy with how much a natural Rosie was for me when first picking her up and using her on a casual level, but now that I'm starting to play more competitively again, oh boy. It's a whole different thing trying to get good with her now, which I guess is partly why I came by here to hopefully read up on some things on the board to gain some more insight on how to get better with her.

How's everyone been though? Doin' good I take it?
Doin' OK, got to get to doing a college project soon though! :V

No but seriously, in terms of Rosalina, I think most people here have been having a blast playing as her. However, there has been some animosity towards the character, since people think she is over powered, but it's too early to make that call.

Today's screeshot shows some cool aliases of DK and Samus, what kind of aliases will they think of rith Rosalina and other characters.
Here's a funny one I saw on Miiverse.
Rosalina will probably be "Watcher of the Cosmos" or "Protector of the Cosmos".

Or maybe just "Mother of Lumas" or something.

I will riot if they call her "Princess of the Stars", though, or anything like that.

EDIT: Actually, if they take the full "Rosalina & Luma" name into account, the title will likely be "Mother & Child".

Last edited:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773

No but seriously, in terms of Rosalina, I think most people here have been having a blast playing as her. However, there has been some animosity towards the character, since people think she is over powered, but it's too early to make that call.
Damn, I know how that is..

That's good to hear. But yeah, so far from what I've seen (on boards here outside character discussion anyway), it's been a tossup between Rosalina and Little Mac that people have screamed the most overpowered, not that it means much since people said the same about Ike during Brawl's early wi-fi days (though to be fair, he was/is more dangerous in teams because he fights for his friends than in single). Still hoping we don't end up being this gen's Meta Knight fans though in the long run (in terms of treatment I mean, 'cause of using a "broken" character and all that).

Hm.. Anyone got any pointers on what to do to stay alive/use Rosalina effectively when a Luma is dead and you're waiting for another one to spawn? Thankfully, Rosie doesn't quite seem to be a glass cannon as far as defense when that happens, but still.. And I'm sure I'm prolly not the only one this happens to, but when I try using Luma for combo'ing now or mashing the A button or something when desynched, I tend to lose track/focus of where Rosie herself is on the stage which usually ends up being for the worse, unless it's a 1 on 1 match I guess. :u

Last edited:

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
You can either try to keep them out your range with F-Tilt, D-Tilt or Down Smash. Her N-Air is also good since no one expects the last hit to connect and the last hit also does a good amount of knockback, and when they leave themselves open, go for a grab and throw them to give yourself more distance away from them. Or just camp by the ledge.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Personally, I'd say just don't be afraid to be aggressive when Luma is gone. Most people expect Rosalina players to wait it out when Luma is gone, and while that sometimes is the best option, doing so can mean the opponent has the chance to gain complete control of the stage and play you into a position you don't wanna be in. However, be aggressive, and you are actually holding out control of the stage until Luma gets back, especially if you manage to knock the opponent off.

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
I think Mr. Game & Watch just fell for Rosalina's charm.

And while I'm at it, another good Rosalina drawing...

Oh my!!! Mr.G&W and Rosalina! My two mains! This is definitely one of my favorite pics on Miiverse!
Blue Peach. :troll:
Hm....sounds like a title made like for SMG honest trailers (If they had one).
Mother of the Cosmos. :p

Though, it probably will have something to do with space to be sure.
I think it's okay, but since this is Smash Bros, who know what cool title will they think of for Rosalina?

Rosalina will probably be "Watcher of the Cosmos" or "Protector of the Cosmos".

Or maybe just "Mother of Lumas" or something.

I will riot if they call her "Princess of the Stars", though, or anything like that.

EDIT: Actually, if they take the full "Rosalina & Luma" name into account, the title will likely be "Mother & Child".
She is quite a popular pick for the pros, but saying her over powered is still questionable. I think ZSS and Shiek are also the runnerups, since both of them are fast, and can deal a powerful Smash Attacks too. I remember ZZS gave Rosalia a screen ko in Smash Bros Invitational Tournament! Iwill never forget that, who knows if they will have a Wii U tournament again just like 3DS?
Yeah, they can't forget Luma.It deserves a spot too.
Damn, I know how that is..

That's good to hear. But yeah, so far from what I've seen (on boards here outside character discussion anyway), it's been a tossup between Rosalina and Little Mac that people have screamed the most overpowered, not that it means much since people said the same about Ike during Brawl's early wi-fi days (though to be fair, he was/is more dangerous in teams because he fights for his friends than in single). Still hoping we don't end up being this gen's Meta Knight fans though in the long run (in terms of treatment I mean, 'cause of using a "broken" character and all that).

Hm.. Anyone got any pointers on what to do to stay alive/use Rosalina effectively when a Luma is dead and you're waiting for another one to spawn? Thankfully, Rosie doesn't quite seem to be a glass cannon as far as defense when that happens, but still.. And I'm sure I'm prolly not the only one this happens to, but when I try using Luma for combo'ing now or mashing the A button or something when desynched, I tend to lose track/focus of where Rosie herself is on the stage which usually ends up being for the worse, unless it's a 1 on 1 match I guess. :u
I know the feeling of missing so many posts on this thread, take your time and check them!
Little Mac too over powered is just a personal guess, I don't think he is too over powered, but he is still a character that is tricky to beat with.
Losing a Luma will just make your Smash attacks more unpowerful. It takes a knowledge to know how to stay intact in battle even when Luma is gone. I haven't use her much in 1 on 1 battle but to me, she actually has a great advantage than most of the characters.
Personally, I'd say just don't be afraid to be aggressive when Luma is gone. Most people expect Rosalina players to wait it out when Luma is gone, and while that sometimes is the best option, doing so can mean the opponent has the chance to gain complete control of the stage and play you into a position you don't wanna be in. However, be aggressive, and you are actually holding out control of the stage until Luma gets back, especially if you manage to knock the opponent off.
So the method you choose when Luma is gone is continue fighting like usual? And try to ko opponents by air attacks? That's what I often seen what the pros did in the 3DS tournament.

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Man, I just played online matches, and, I found myself kept losing in a few matches. I used Mario, and then G&W, and then Rosalina. I managed to won some matches with her, but there are two characters online that I just hate: Bowser Jr. and Samus.
Have some of you guys had a feeling before that you think are weak and always loses online, and feel depressed? Well of course, that just means I have to workhard, or tryto battle with some mid pro players and train yourself.
Just a few hours the Direct will be broadcast! I can't see it lie though, but I will still going to spoil myself about the information online. Who knows what things they are going to reveal?

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Rosalina was SOOOOO cool in that Bowser Jr trailer though.

She had her serious face. :3

ChikoLad

Purple Boi

"Heard you were talkin' ****..."

Also, PeachxRosalina confirmed:

Last edited:

Shirma Akayaku

Smash Lord
NNID
Toadette75
Switch FC
SW-3818-9526-0298

"Heard you were talkin' ****..."
Did anyone notice that Rosalina's flaps at the top of her dress (the powder-blue thing that loops around her shoulders) are sticking up? Normally it's supposed to be down, but it seems they made an error. If you look at Bowser Jr.'s trailer you can see it doesn't appear to be placed correctly:
They could have made it like that so she appears to look more like a character from outer-space with a more "spacey" looking outfit, but I don't like it. Also, look at all those stars under Rosalina's dress. That's fabulous!

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I noticed that, but I didn't think it was an error. I thought it was supposed to be a sign that she had been fighting quite a bit. Like, the flaps just got creased up amongst the fighting.

It looks really cool, I actually wouldn't mind seeing them like that more often.

Shirma Akayaku

Smash Lord
NNID
Toadette75
Switch FC
SW-3818-9526-0298
It's not really suited to my taste. If it's supposed to be a sign that she had been fighting quite a bit, then I'm okay with it. Otherwise, it looks meh to me. It does remind me of the Jetsons though (and DBZ too).

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Alternatively, it could be her "I'm ****in' serious right now" style.

Her final form.

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
Yeah, Rosalina was amazing in that trailer. Was hoping she would be in it and I was not disappointed. <3

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Wow, Rosalina looked so epic in Bowser Jr's trailer. That serious look on her face suggest that she means business. xD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom